• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread |OT2| Brought To You By Buckethead™

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiggs

Dumervil did the Broncos wrong. Even with the contract nonsense, Denver paid him close to 30 million dollars over the last few years, including the year when he sat on his ass and didn't do a thing because of injuries.

I won't be one of those fans who says some shit like "he wasn't really that good," but I can't say that I wish him even remotely well.

Godslay

Banned
Kruger is abysmal against the run. The worst Dumervil can be is "as bad" as Kruger. Dumervil is better at getting to the QB, has a better track record, and is getting his coach back from his 17 sack year. This is a monster, and unexpected, upgrade.

Kruger had more sacks last year than Dumervil. The 17 sack season was interesting in and of itself, and if you dig into the numbers and splits, it paints an interesting picture of Doom as a pass rusher. I think the pattern has held throughout his time away from Martindale. Good for Doom though, it should be a nice fit.

Dumervil did the Broncos wrong. Even with the contract nonsense, Denver paid him close to 30 million dollars over the last few years, including the year when he sat on his ass and didn't do a thing because of injuries.

I won't be one of those fans who says some shit like "he wasn't really that good," but I can't say that I wish him even remotely well.

Broncos don't need to pay him $13 million or $8 million. That is a win in my books.

Godslay

Banned
Broncos don't need to pay him $13 million or $8 million. That is a win in my books.

The position is downgraded, how much so we won't know until the game is played obviously. I think Ayers could fill in nicely, mixed in with Freeney. Only time will tell though, but at this time the team is not better with Doom gone. There is a reason why Elway wanted to pay him $8 million for 2013. We might come out better if the cost of Freeney is kept down to a respectable number (and he is productive), and Ayers emerges.

Edit: Freeney should see a production bump assuming Del Rio can slot him into a defense he is more geared towards.

Nearly passed out today after my run. T'was fun.
Low glycogen stores and not enough water.

Silly rabbit.

It's important to remember a small pre-run meal before running long distances.
Maybe a half of a banana, some carbs, and a half a bottle of Vitamin Water.

<3

Godslay

Banned
#pipe dream

Let's sign Freeney and Abraham!

He's the logical choice at this point. Although Abraham wouldn't be a bad addition either. Really we only need one of the two, because both will be too expensive. Freeney/Ayers at that spot is a good combo, mix in a good rookie and everything should be fine. If Miller continues to beast, their job becomes that much easier. Likewise if Freeney/Ayers flourish Miller's job becomes easier. It will be interesting to see assuming we sign one, and don't go with an Ayers/rookie route. I'm sure we will find out soon enough.

Welcome to sizzle-ville!!!!!

Uruk hai and now Mount Doom? Disgusting.

WedgeX

Banned
Nearly passed out today after my run. T'was fun.
Low glycogen stores and not enough water.

Silly rabbit.

It's important to remember a small pre-run meal before running long distances.
Maybe a half of a banana, some carbs, and a half a bottle of Vitamin Water.

<3

How far are you running? On my girlfriend's long runs (13 and above) she eats blueberry pancakes, a banana with peanut butter and one scrambled egg.

Makes for some great breakfasts.

He's the logical choice at this point. Although Abraham wouldn't be a bad addition either. Really we only need one of the two, because both will be too expensive. Freeney/Ayers at that spot is a good combo, mix in a good rookie and everything should be fine. If Miller continues to beast, their job becomes that much easier. Likewise if Freeney/Ayers flourish Miller's job becomes easier. It will be interesting to see assuming we sign one, and don't go with an Ayers/rookie route. I'm sure we will find out soon enough.

Rumor say.

"The Broncos will draft a cornerback, running back and defensive lineman in the first three rounds. Maybe in that order. And when the Broncos scour the tape of draft-eligible cornerbacks, they will pay close attention to players 6-feet or taller."

Or maybe two cornerbacks in first two rounds.
Wrong emphasis on defense I suppose.

Uruk hai and now Mount Doom? Disgusting.

Which one is the more complete player, Freeney or Abe?

How far are you running? On my girlfriend's long runs (13 and above) she eats blueberry pancakes, a banana with peanut butter and one scrambled egg.

Makes for some great breakfasts.
Packers fan and a runner? Oh how I envy thee...

Ran 6 today which isn't much. Ate a sandwich for breakfast and then ran. Thought that'd be enough but apparently not.

Training for a half-marathon tho. Maybe a full one early next year, we'll see how it goes.

Even though Werner seems like a reach, I just can't justify Trufant this high. The Bucs need secondary help bad but with not a single double digit sack DE on the roster and Claybourne coming off surgery along with Bowers being a dumb fucking Talib wannabe the Tampa Bay Bucs select Bjoern Werner "Brothers" from FSU.

NFL-Gaf Mock Draft 2013

1. Chiefs - Luke Joeckel - T - Texas A&M

That said, right now I expect the pick to be Luke Joeckel. While the Chiefs are also going to work out Lane Johnson and Eric Fisher, Joeckel seems to be the consensus best LT in the draft. He would immediately start at right tackle, and should slide over to LT to fill Albert's spot in 2014. Are these mock draft entries usually full of venom and vitriol towards the expected pick? Because that's all I have left.

2. Jaguars - Eric Fisher - T - Central Michigan

Jags #2 Pick!

Jags have a LOT of holes to fill, and the top 10 is a real crapshoot with who will be the most impactful.

They plan on building the offense around a renewed MJD, preparing to give him a big contract to get him to spend the rest of his career here. That means they need to shore up their offensive line. Since Joeckel is taken, they will pick Eric Fisher from Central Michigan. His specialty is pushing people back, and that's all MJD needs to really use his skills. Defensive Tackles are too hit-and-miss, but O-line are generally stable.

3. Raiders - ChanHuk, Mackenzie 92 - Star Lotulelei - DT - University of Utah

With the #3 selection in the 2013 Mock NFLGAF draft the glorious Oakland Raiders select; Star Lotulelei, defensive tackle University of Utah.

The Raiders are in complete rebuild mode, no more of this nonsense "reload" of the Al Davis era of just overpaying washed up vets. Only 4 starters return from last year's dismal defense, the Raiders need to address their run defense which has been pathetic the last decade.

Star Lotulelei is similar to a player we should've picked in the 2006 NFL draft in Haloti Ngata. Star is not as dominant as Ngata but still commands double team blocks against the run. Star isn't going to get you flashy sack numbers but he'll allow your LBs to make plays. Teams are built in the trenches, Raiders now possess two stout young defensive linemen in Star and Lamar Houston. With the addition of Vance Walker through FA, the Raiders now possess a formidable run stopping defensive line.

4. Eagles - Yankeehater, JABEE - Dee Miliner - CB - University of Alabama

The Eagles have already taken big strides to improve their biggest weakness last year. The Eagles have a ton of holes to fill, but Dee is the best player available that fills one of those holes. Even though Dee doesn't posses the return skills of a Deion Sanders, he is unquestionably the best CB in this draft.

5. Lions - WedgeX, Goldlion054, Kastrioti, Plinko - Ziggy Ansah - DE - BYU

Worst case scenario here, but the lions will be selecting DE Ziggy Anash from BYU here. With the loss of Backus, Detroit would have loved to fill the role with a franchise player like Fischer, but not the case here. The coaching staff reportedly loves Anash after the senior bowl and he'll fit into Mayhew's bpa strategy. He may be raw, but his ceiling is very high and can hopefully become a JPP type player with those skills. Again, worst case scenario, but it'll have to do

6. Browns - BlackGhost, Wes, theBatman - Dion Jordan -DE/OLB - Oregon

With the browns switch to the 3-4, they pick up the best OLB prospect in the draft. Jordan still has to prove he can bring an arsenal of pass rush moves to the table but he has proven himself to be proficient when dropping in coverage, offers excellent size/length and speed and fits the mold as the type of physical specimen that can develop into a top caliber pass rusher in this draft.

7. Cardinals - Squall ASF (Futurevoid standing in as Squall was not around) - Geno Smith - QB - West Virginia

I struggled with this pick and it really shouldn't have been. Chance Warmack makes the most sense. You can go on all about a guard not having been picked Top 10 in however many years but this is 10+ year starter for a team that has about an awful an offensive line as there is. However, I'm not making the pick. I'm supposed to try and guess at what the Cardinals will do and frankly I can't escape the desperation a team with Drew Stanton as their opening day starter has to contend with.

Lane Johnson was also a possibility here but I'm going with my gut here. Geno Smith doesn't get past the Bills and I don't think the Bills will have the chance to draft him. Arians go throw out all of the smokescreens he likes about not being impressed with any of the QB class. It's a reach and the Cardinals are the team to do it.

8. Bills - LJ11 - Tavon Austin - WR - West Virginia

GAF Mock draft has always been about choosing the player you think your team is going to take. Pretty sure the Bills will take a QB, but I'm not sure a QB is worth the 8th overall pick. They desperately needed an offensive tackle last season, but didn't get desperate and reach. I think they're going to do it the same way this year. Nassib and Wilson are the only two possibilities but with 6 picks, next to no moves in FA, and a ton of holes you would be wise to trade back regardless off return and then make a play for a QB. You don't need a haul either. This is the Bills though, so....

They've gone D heavy the last few years, need some offense, and I'm using the CJ rational to make this pick.

Tavon Austin, find me a better more explosive offensive threat in this draft? You can't.

9. Jets - Fox318 (Futurevoid standing in) - Shariff Floyd - DT - Florida

WR and OL makes sense here for the Jets but Rex likes his defense and considering they've let go of a number of high priced vets to clear cap space, I think they can't let a prospect like Floyd continue to drop. He'll play the 5 tech in the 3-4 and should be a force alongside Wilkerson. I was thinking Mingo here as well but Floyd is just a better prospect to me with this high of a pick.

10. Titans - Fidelis Hodie (Futurevoid standing in) - Chance Warmack - G - Alabama

As a former offensive lineman who was drafted in the top-10, Titans head coach Mike Munchak will undoubtedly be impressed with Warmack. And even after spending big money on Andy Levitre in free agency, the Titans could use another guard opposite him.

11. Chargers - Nightz - Lane Johnson - T - Oklahoma

Nightz said:
The Chargers would like to get the Philip Rivers of old back and know that fixing the offensive line is the first step in doing so. With 4 out of 5 starters on the line still unknown at this point, Lane Johnson is the pick. Johnson has shown lots of potential and will step in to the starting left tackle role. He will be relied on heavily to protect the blind side and keep Rivers upright.

12. Dolphins - The_Darkest_Red - Xavier Rhodes - CB - FSU

With the WR need being considerably addressed in free agency, the biggest needs for the Dolphins became CB (especially with the loss of Sean Smith), OT (with the loss of Jake Long), and DE. CB in particular seems like the biggest need to me, and with that in mind I think the Dolphins will take Xavier Rhodes with the twelfth overall pick. Rhodes is known for being a physical and athletic corner, and his height and size (6-2, 210 lbs.) should help him match up well against larger receivers.

13. Buccaneers - Colonel Nasty - Bjoern Werner - FSU

Even though Werner seems like a reach, I just can't justify Trufant this high. The Bucs need secondary help bad but with not a single double digit sack DE on the roster and Claybourne coming off surgery along with Bowers being a dumb fucking Talib wannabe the Tampa Bay Bucs select Bjoern Werner "Brothers" from FSU.

14. Panthers - Bowser - ON THE CLOCK!
15. Saints - cajunator
16. Rams - squicken, B for Bendetta
17. Steelers - DeaconKnowledge, chuckddd, Angmarsking701, 789shadow
18. Cowboys - cashman
19. Giants - Futurevoid, BigAT, Striker
20. Bears - cuevas, phd., Vio-lence
21. Bengals - eznark
22. Rams (from Redskins) - squicken, B for Bendetta
23. Vikings - BannedEpisode
24. Colts - SpinDasher
25. Vikings - from Seattle - BannedEpisode
26. Packers - eznark, TheLegendary
27. Texans - MechDX
28. Broncos - Godslay, Hunter S Thompson
29. Patriots - Dutch Patriot
30. Falcons - Talon
31. 49ers - FrenchMovieTheme
32. Ravens - BaltimoreLarry, Nakazato

PANTHERS ARE ON THE CLOCK! Panthers have until 9:30pm. PM is into Bowser already.

Cajunator, get a list of 2-3 prospects you want ready to go with a write-up. You'll be picking shortly.

Same thing goes for Rams-GAF. List of 2-3 to choose from, please. Lets keep this moving along.

brentech

Packers fan and a runner? Oh how I envy thee...

Ran 6 today which isn't much. Ate a sandwich for breakfast and then ran. Thought that'd be enough but apparently not.

Training for a half-marathon tho. Maybe a full one early next year, we'll see how it goes.

with ulcerative colitis it's hard to want to eat too much before a long work out (it's no longer a big issue since I'm on remicade, but still). I usually only start a cliff bar and drink a veggy juice from my juicer before I ride the bike and then eat some more cliff bar during the ride if I'm really feeling the need.

Haven't really had any problems on that.

All this "stupidity" won't unbeat the Niners in the Superbowl.

Or will it?

013HK9Q.jpg

Oh snap, the Doom signing was so bad we've entered an alternate timeline. Congrats San FranSIXco!

Saints and Rams-GAF have been PM'd with a request to get a list together of prospects with writeups. Please respond either via PM or in the thread as soon as you can. Thanks!

Godslay

Banned
Rumor say.

"The Broncos will draft a cornerback, running back and defensive lineman in the first three rounds. Maybe in that order. And when the Broncos scour the tape of draft-eligible cornerbacks, they will pay close attention to players 6-feet or taller."

Or maybe two cornerbacks in first two rounds.
Wrong emphasis on defense I suppose.

Saw that as well. We won't draft two CB in the first two rounds. I would agree with the positions though. Really who we draft is hard to guess at this point. What players will be at 28, will we move up/down? It's highly fluid until it's their selection. Look at last year, Wolfe came out of nowhere and was productive, and he came after two moves. The position was correct from the speculation, but he wasn't on anyone's radar at that number. It's such a guessing game at this point.

Bowser PM'd me his pick. Here's the latest:

NFL-Gaf Mock Draft 2013

That said, right now I expect the pick to be Luke Joeckel. While the Chiefs are also going to work out Lane Johnson and Eric Fisher, Joeckel seems to be the consensus best LT in the draft. He would immediately start at right tackle, and should slide over to LT to fill Albert's spot in 2014. Are these mock draft entries usually full of venom and vitriol towards the expected pick? Because that's all I have left.

Jags #2 Pick!

Jags have a LOT of holes to fill, and the top 10 is a real crapshoot with who will be the most impactful.

They plan on building the offense around a renewed MJD, preparing to give him a big contract to get him to spend the rest of his career here. That means they need to shore up their offensive line. Since Joeckel is taken, they will pick Eric Fisher from Central Michigan. His specialty is pushing people back, and that's all MJD needs to really use his skills. Defensive Tackles are too hit-and-miss, but O-line are generally stable.

With the #3 selection in the 2013 Mock NFLGAF draft the glorious Oakland Raiders select; Star Lotulelei, defensive tackle University of Utah.

The Raiders are in complete rebuild mode, no more of this nonsense "reload" of the Al Davis era of just overpaying washed up vets. Only 4 starters return from last year's dismal defense, the Raiders need to address their run defense which has been pathetic the last decade.

Star Lotulelei is similar to a player we should've picked in the 2006 NFL draft in Haloti Ngata. Star is not as dominant as Ngata but still commands double team blocks against the run. Star isn't going to get you flashy sack numbers but he'll allow your LBs to make plays. Teams are built in the trenches, Raiders now possess two stout young defensive linemen in Star and Lamar Houston. With the addition of Vance Walker through FA, the Raiders now possess a formidable run stopping defensive line.

The Eagles have already taken big strides to improve their biggest weakness last year. The Eagles have a ton of holes to fill, but Dee is the best player available that fills one of those holes. Even though Dee doesn't posses the return skills of a Deion Sanders, he is unquestionably the best CB in this draft.

Worst case scenario here, but the lions will be selecting DE Ziggy Anash from BYU here. With the loss of Backus, Detroit would have loved to fill the role with a franchise player like Fischer, but not the case here. The coaching staff reportedly loves Anash after the senior bowl and he'll fit into Mayhew's bpa strategy. He may be raw, but his ceiling is very high and can hopefully become a JPP type player with those skills. Again, worst case scenario, but it'll have to do

With the browns switch to the 3-4, they pick up the best OLB prospect in the draft. Jordan still has to prove he can bring an arsenal of pass rush moves to the table but he has proven himself to be proficient when dropping in coverage, offers excellent size/length and speed and fits the mold as the type of physical specimen that can develop into a top caliber pass rusher in this draft.

7. Cardinals - Squall ASF (Futurevoid standing in as Squall was not around) - Geno Smith - QB - West Virginia

Futurevoid said:
I struggled with this pick and it really shouldn't have been. Chance Warmack makes the most sense. You can go on all about a guard not having been picked Top 10 in however many years but this is 10+ year starter for a team that has about an awful an offensive line as there is. However, I'm not making the pick. I'm supposed to try and guess at what the Cardinals will do and frankly I can't escape the desperation a team with Drew Stanton as their opening day starter has to contend with.

Lane Johnson was also a possibility here but I'm going with my gut here. Geno Smith doesn't get past the Bills and I don't think the Bills will have the chance to draft him. Arians go throw out all of the smokescreens he likes about not being impressed with any of the QB class. It's a reach and the Cardinals are the team to do it.

GAF Mock draft has always been about choosing the player you think your team is going to take. Pretty sure the Bills will take a QB, but I'm not sure a QB is worth the 8th overall pick. They desperately needed an offensive tackle last season, but didn't get desperate and reach. I think they're going to do it the same way this year. Nassib and Wilson are the only two possibilities but with 6 picks, next to no moves in FA, and a ton of holes you would be wise to trade back regardless off return and then make a play for a QB. You don't need a haul either. This is the Bills though, so....

They've gone D heavy the last few years, need some offense, and I'm using the CJ rational to make this pick.

Tavon Austin, find me a better more explosive offensive threat in this draft? You can't.

WR and OL makes sense here for the Jets but Rex likes his defense and considering they've let go of a number of high priced vets to clear cap space, I think they can't let a prospect like Floyd continue to drop. He'll play the 5 tech in the 3-4 and should be a force alongside Wilkerson. I was thinking Mingo here as well but Floyd is just a better prospect to me with this high of a pick.

10. Titans - Fidelis Hodie (Futurevoid standing in) - Chance Warmack - G - Alabama

As a former offensive lineman who was drafted in the top-10, Titans head coach Mike Munchak will undoubtedly be impressed with Warmack. And even after spending big money on Andy Levitre in free agency, the Titans could use another guard opposite him.

Nightz said:
The Chargers would like to get the Philip Rivers of old back and know that fixing the offensive line is the first step in doing so. With 4 out of 5 starters on the line still unknown at this point, Lane Johnson is the pick. Johnson has shown lots of potential and will step in to the starting left tackle role. He will be relied on heavily to protect the blind side and keep Rivers upright.

With the WR need being considerably addressed in free agency, the biggest needs for the Dolphins became CB (especially with the loss of Sean Smith), OT (with the loss of Jake Long), and DE. CB in particular seems like the biggest need to me, and with that in mind I think the Dolphins will take Xavier Rhodes with the twelfth overall pick. Rhodes is known for being a physical and athletic corner, and his height and size (6-2, 210 lbs.) should help him match up well against larger receivers.

14. Panthers - Bowser - Sheldon Richardson - DT - Missouri

Bowser said:
Panthers need a stud DT. While we resigned Edwards, he's aging and likely only has a year or two of quality play left. We also had to release Ron Edwards due in a salary cap related move. 2011 3rd round pick Sione Fua has been a bust of epic proportions and will likely stick on the roster because he's cheap and we have little depth at the position. Richardson is an explosive athlete and should add a playmaker on the interior of the line to help free up Kuechly, Beason and Davis to make plays at the line of scrimmage.

15. Saints - cajunator - ON THE CLOCK!
16. Rams - squicken, B for Bendetta
18. Cowboys - cashman
21. Bengals - eznark
24. Colts - SpinDasher
27. Texans - MechDX
30. Falcons - Talon

SAINTS ARE ON THE CLOCK! Saints have until 10pm EST. PM is into cajunator

Rams-GAF also has a PM to get their list up.

Steelers-GAF, get ready to pick! Get a list up with write-ups ASAP.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Damn, so sorry I missed it, I was working. Not that it matters, because my Titans' pick would have been...

CHANCE WARMACK!

Seriously, shoring up that right-G position and putting him opposite Levitre means the Titans line is finally back to CJ2k standards. Get ready to see how many 60+ yarders he busts when there are giant holes for everybody.

(Again, sorry I missed the pick. Futureavoid knows what's fucking up though!)

Well if the draft goes this way the Rams will be in good shape. With, Jarvis Jones, Jonathan Cooper, Vaccaro, Ogletree, and Patterson still on the board, I would expect the Rams to try and deal the 16th pick. That being said, in this scenario I would expect their board to look something like this (depending on the Saints selection):

1. Jonathan Cooper OG - While not being the "Mauler" that Warmack is described as, Cooper is a great guard with the smarts to develop into a strong center, which is exactly what the Rams would groom him to do, in preparation for Scott Wells inevitable cut in the next few years due to age/nagging injuries/cap room.

2. Jarvis Jones OLB - An already fragile fanbase will scoff at a defensive selection with the 16th pick Snead and Fisher endorse the BPA strategy however and have not shied from unpopular choices. Jones is a difference maker that will solidify the Rams secondary, even with unspectacular numbers from his pro day. Rams are not afraid to take a risk on a player with some health concerns

After these would be Patterson, Vaccaro and Ogletree. Just guessing on the order. squicken knows a lot more about this than me, I don't really follow college. Final pick is his

cajunator PM'd me his pick:

NFL-Gaf Mock Draft 2013

Jags #2 Pick!

Futurevoid said:

Futurevoid said:

Nightz said:

14. Panthers - Bowser - Sheldon Richardson - DT - Missouri

Bowser said:
Panthers need a stud DT. While we resigned Edwards, he's aging and likely only has a year or two of quality play left. We also had to release Ron Edwards due in a salary cap related move. 2011 3rd round pick Sione Fua has been a bust of epic proportions and will likely stick on the roster because he's cheap and we have little depth at the position. Richardson is an explosive athlete and should add a playmaker on the interior of the line to help free up Kuechly, Beason and Davis to make plays at the line of scrimmage.

15. Saints - cajunator - Barkevious Mingo - DE/OLB - LSU

cajunator said:
A standout at LSU, he would be a local favorite to shore up a much maligned defense. He would be used heavily in pass rush situations in Rob Ryan's 3/4. Playing in the SEC should have prepared him for the NFL.

16. Rams - squicken, B for Bendetta - ON THE CLOCK!
18. Cowboys - cashman
21. Bengals - eznark
24. Colts - SpinDasher
27. Texans - MechDX
30. Falcons - Talon

RAMS ARE ON THE CLOCK! Rams have until 10:20pm EST. We have one board from the Rams. I'll wait on squicken to post before posting the final selection.

Steelers-GAF - GET IN GEAR! I've also PM'd cashman to let him know he's coming up as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom