• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

sMwivxx.png

What the hell, 45 fps??

Btw. even more what the hell, PS4 Pro and X1X have 60fps, while XSS doesn't. LOL
Does X1X have raytracing cause for some reason the XSS does. LOL!

onesvenus

45fps? I hope Sony enables VRR by then, if not it's going to be a disaster. 45fps not being a multiple of 30Hz means that most TVs will have either tearing or framepacing issues

Omeyocan

45fps? I hope Sony enables VRR by then, if not it's going to be a disaster. 45fps not being a multiple of 30Hz means that most TVs will have either tearing or framepacing issues

It’s really a weird choice from Capcom considering that a vast majority of consumers does not have a TV set with VRR and GSYNC. I hope they release an update that either lowers the resolution or the framerate at 30FPS.

As a VRR connoisseur, I can tell you that 45 fps isn't really enough for motion to look smooth. Ideally you'd have 50+ fps.

Last edited:
People are crying about $70 games - but they should be OK to buy new TVs for >$1000 to get a smooth frame rate?

Riiightttt.

I agree that relying on a TV feature to compensate for a framerate choice on the console is weird, but just for information, some brand such as Samsung include VRR in many of their TV since 3 years now. For example this ones, which was clearly less than 1000$ 3 years ago and a very nice TV for its price at this time (it only lakes the 4K/120fps and the VRR range in 4K is not big) : https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu8000
LG is also including VRR since 2 years for example.

Dibils2k

There is no "supersampling mode" option in the PS5 video settings like the PS4 Pro has. Maybe the PS5 can? Idk.

hrahVqq.jpg

aLoAzWj.jpg
qPqDdol.jpg
some game supported supersambling by default, so those will supersample on PS5. but there are still some games that didnt do this (its not big list), and without that option from PS4 then those will not supersample

onesvenus

As a VRR connoisseur, I can tell you that 45 fps isn't really enough for motion to look smooth. Ideally you'd have 50+ fps.
I'd hope that at least that framerate is consistent. I was thinking more about VRR being able to show those 45 fps rather than compensating framerate fluctuation

VRR isn't always the saviour. It can not entirely eliminate stutter if you are higher or lower than the VRR range of the display.
Aren't most panels supporting VRR upwards from 40Hz? With that weird framerate I'd at least expect to be almost locked
People are crying about $70 games - but they should be OK to buy new TVs for >$1000 to get a smooth frame rate?

Riiightttt.
I didn't say that. The main problem here, and the one that should be criticized, is Capcom deciding a 45fps framerate was good. Having said that, having a TV with VRR and a system supporting it will obviously help.

ToadMan

I agree that relying on a TV feature to compensate for a framerate choice on the console is weird, but just for information, some brand such as Samsung include VRR in many of their TV since 3 years now. For example this ones, which was clearly less than 1000$ 3 years ago and a very nice TV for its price at this time (it only lakes the 4K/120fps and the VRR range in 4K is not big) : https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu8000
LG is also including VRR since 2 years for example.

Those TVs are discontinued - and the Samsung one was already $1000 RRP without HDMI 2.1...

ToadMan

My thread was closed ipso facto by the mods and their reasoning is dumb. How is knowing Sony's strategy for a gamepass-counterpass a requirement sine que non for my premise to work?

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/sony...ing-casuals-dont-care-about-hardware.1601168/

How do I file a protest?

This wasn't thread worthy - it's your opinion and that's what the existing threads are for. Oh and there are plenty of existing threads on the same asinine topic.

You may have guessed already, but this is the next gen (next gen means this gen) speculation thread so it's not a place to protest...

If you must protest this great injustice, the usual way these days is to request a permanent ban with some comment about this forum not being the cool place it used to be blah blah.

If you want you can go crazy and wish the mods a merry fucking Christmas or other comedy meltdown - gives us all something to chuckle about afterwards.

But in all seriousness - just DM Mod of War Mod of War or EviLore EviLore .

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Loope

Incorrect - that's what you believe because that's how MS convince the retarded to subscribe to GP.

This week I've played games and viewed other content that are in some cases decades old, on my 3 year old TV. Quality content ages at a much slower rate than hardware.
Are you saying only the retarded subscribe to GP?

Rudius

But most games arent even running at 4k on the series x. All these so-called native 4k games use dynamic res that drops to 1440p in busy areas. What happens then? 800p-900?

I mean we do know that's what happens because Watch Dogs Legion which drops to 1440p on the xsx in the ray tracing mode drops down to 900p if not lower on the series s. And thats a cross gen game.

When next gen games roll around and target 1440p 30 fps, the xsx is going to struggle big time. Expect games to hit 720p. and thats the best case scenario.
Immortals already drops down to 720p in the performance mode on Series S, no ray tracing. On PS5 and X it rarely drops below 1440p (1620p on average). The Series S offers a bad price to performance ratio.

reksveks

Immortals already drops down to 720p in the performance mode on Series S, no ray tracing. On PS5 and X it rarely drops below 1440p (1620p on average). The Series S offers a bad price to performance ratio.
In comparison to the ps5 sku's and series x if your primary concern is the graphical output, yes
In comparison to the switch, one x and ps4 Pro, no in my opinion.

Dabaus

Banned

Random thoughts: Can we all agree Square is more or less worth somewhere between 9-12 billion? Sony is in a position right now where almost every quarter they make about 3-4 billion dollars right? So after this quarter they will have 50 billion cash on hand. You give sony a couple years at this rate and your look at 60-70 billion dollars on hand. Microsoft makes alot more than that but theyre not waiting for income to do what they want as they have it now.

Square have a great relationship with sony, Nintendo is ok, and until outriders on gamepass have essentially ignored xbox for almost 5 years now. Negations take years and like i said, in a few years if sonys trajectory stay the way it is, theyll have some serious cash to throw around too. So when sony has the best selling console, the actual fanbase, and a good relationship, at what point does SE just not become worth it for MS because all of those things will be a factor in a few years time. Am I crazy?

Running at 1440p and apparently has raytracing too. Looks like the XSS is doing what it's supposed to. Unless goal posts are getting moved again.

In fact, if we consider that's native resolution and constant FPS, what is funny here is that the XsX is pushing 3820*2160*60 => 497 Mpixel/s, the XsS 2560*1440*45 => 166 Mpixel/s, So 166/497= 0.334, near a perfect matching to the 1/3 TFLOPS ratio vs XsX :messenger_beaming: (The PS5 is breaking it, but I don't care haha)

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
The more i think about it, i suspect Duskgolem mustve simply mixed up the Series S and PS5 for some reason. I can almost see it in front of me, him overhearing his ”sauces” talking about it:
”Well the Series X does just fine, but the other one struggles at 1080p 60fps”
And him coming to the conclusion the ”other one” being the PS5.

Also; 45 fps, wat.
He made up the claim because Xbox was having bad news and he felt hurt but that.
He said himself.

Even if the Xbox was the one performing bad he should say the PS5 for the narrative.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Some more tidbits from Jason's podcast.

- John Garvin (Writer/creative director of days gone) actually left the studio right after the game shipped
- Sony brought in hollywood talent to replace him. They pitched Days Gone 2 and then an Uncharted spinoff. Neither panned out after ND took a bigger role into uncharted.
- Both hollywood writers left in 2020.
- Sony Bend got the greenlight to do their new IP just weeks ago. They like this because this means they wont have to answer to ND on every decision they have to make on their next game.

The next bit is from the Gameinformer guys interviewing schrier. They went to the studio to cover the Days Gone release, and found an interesting dynamic. Apparently the younger generation was at odds with the leadership. The fucking millennials were questioning their decisions and the creative leads were like no, we have one writer and one creative lead. I wonder if there was some kind of tug of war between the SJW squads and the more laid back older guys like John Garvin and Jeff Ross. The game was (unfairly) lambasted by the media for its writing which could explain why John left right away. I personally though the game was very well written. It started off weak, but picked up when you got to the third camp and finished strong. It wasn't some alt-right biker fantasy either. There were lesbians, interracial lesbians infact, and even a bi girl who ends up developing feelings for Deacon. His wife was written very well especially in the later chapters. I have no idea why that wasnt good enough for the media and apparently now, the actual developers at the studio.
Yeap Jeff Ross basically confirmed the Jason's story without enter in the NDA zone.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Some more tidbits from Jason's podcast.

- John Garvin (Writer/creative director of days gone) actually left the studio right after the game shipped
- Sony brought in hollywood talent to replace him. They pitched Days Gone 2 and then an Uncharted spinoff. Neither panned out after ND took a bigger role into uncharted.
- Both hollywood writers left in 2020.
- Sony Bend got the greenlight to do their new IP just weeks ago. They like this because this means they wont have to answer to ND on every decision they have to make on their next game.

The next bit is from the Gameinformer guys interviewing schrier. They went to the studio to cover the Days Gone release, and found an interesting dynamic. Apparently the younger generation was at odds with the leadership. The fucking millennials were questioning their decisions and the creative leads were like no, we have one writer and one creative lead. I wonder if there was some kind of tug of war between the SJW squads and the more laid back older guys like John Garvin and Jeff Ross. The game was (unfairly) lambasted by the media for its writing which could explain why John left right away. I personally though the game was very well written. It started off weak, but picked up when you got to the third camp and finished strong. It wasn't some alt-right biker fantasy either. There were lesbians, interracial lesbians infact, and even a bi girl who ends up developing feelings for Deacon. His wife was written very well especially in the later chapters. I have no idea why that wasnt good enough for the media and apparently now, the actual developers at the studio.
How did you manage to throw "SJW" into this story and what does it have to do with Days Gone? lol Who called it an alt-right biker fantasy?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom