• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Maybe you should. I never said anything about PlayStation not having free upgrades.

ApprehensiveImpressiveKoodoo-size_restricted.gif

Mr Moose

Then it falls on Ubisoft then. There's no need for them to have a more expensive version of the game on Playstation. They could just have the PS4 version with a free upgrade to the PS5 version.
They do. Ubisoft store has the games at the same price (PS4/5, Xbox One/Series X)
Purchase Far Cry 6 on PlayStation®4 or Xbox One and upgrade your game to the next-gen version (PlayStation®5 or Xbox Series X) at no additional cost.*
Purchase Watch Dogs Legion on PlayStation®4 or Xbox One and upgrade your game to the next-gen version (PlayStation®5 or Xbox Series X) at no additional cost.*

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Uhhh. Ok?

Literally quoted me saying why would having a boxes version of ps4 and ps5 stop free upgrades....

OK, PS5 version has the whole PS5 game inside. Got it? Xbox going for xbox one then you download the rest. You can do that by buying the PS4 version.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Then it falls on Ubisoft then. There's no need for them to have a more expensive version of the game on Playstation. They could just have the PS4 version with a free upgrade to the PS5 version.

This is correct. The ERP should be the same. I thought you meant why would they have two boxes for ps5 and ps4 when they both have the same "key." They technically don't. Ps4 copy can be upgrades to ps5 but ps5 can not go backwards.

DaGwaphics

i did. I mentioned it in the other thread. Sony studios are definitely putting in more effort than third party devs do for these cross gen games. And are doing exactly what we wanted 343i to do with halo infinite. (next gen textures, ray tracing, effects etc.)

Exactly, if you do this right (RotTR) or like what Sony is doing, this isn't as big a deal as what some make it out to be. It's only a disaster if you do it like 343i, which let's face it, would probably have struggled to look like a top tier current-gen game even if limited to just the XSX (who knows what's going on with that).

They do. Ubisoft store has the games at the same price (PS4/5, Xbox One/Series X)
Purchase Far Cry 6 on PlayStation®4 or Xbox One and upgrade your game to the next-gen version (PlayStation®5 or Xbox Series X) at no additional cost.*
Purchase Watch Dogs Legion on PlayStation®4 or Xbox One and upgrade your game to the next-gen version (PlayStation®5 or Xbox Series X) at no additional cost.*

Upgrade to PlayStation®5 Version: Far Cry 6 PlayStation®4 game on Blu-ray Disc™ must be kept inserted in a PlayStation®5 console to play the corresponding Far Cry 6 PlayStation®5 digital version at no additional cost, when available.
Requires a PlayStation®5, the game Blu-ray Disc™, a PlayStation® Network registration, additional storage & Broadband internet connection. May incur bandwidth usage fees.
*More information.

Just saw this on Ubisofts store.

This is correct. The ERP should be the same. I thought you meant why would they have two boxes for ps5 and ps4 when they both have the same "key." They technically don't. Ps4 copy can be upgrades to ps5 but ps5 can not go backwards.

Well apparently you can upgrade the PS4 version to the PS5 version for free.

Upgrade to PlayStation®5 Version: Far Cry 6 PlayStation®4 game on Blu-ray Disc™ must be kept inserted in a PlayStation®5 console to play the corresponding Far Cry 6 PlayStation®5 digital version at no additional cost, when available.
Requires a PlayStation®5, the game Blu-ray Disc™, a PlayStation® Network registration, additional storage & Broadband internet connection. May incur bandwidth usage fees.
*More information.

The Amazon listing doesn't make any sense to me.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Wait, there were people that thought that XSS was going to utilize the 4k asset packages?
Not propeller heads like us. But casuals listening to MS PR would have no reason to think that it’s not same as XsX just in 1080p.

We know the reality is much more than just resolution. Cutbacks will be more and more apparent as the gen advanced.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Well apparently you can upgrade the PS4 version to the PS5 version for free.

The Amazon listing doesn't make any sense to me.

Its very possible it's simply a pricing error in that region. (As in other regions is priced the same)

It still makes sense for them to have two different skus though. Even if they are priced the same.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Never said you couldn't. Got it?

Ok, why would I buy the PS5 version on PS5 then try to downgrade when it doesn't run on PS4 to begin with? Are we making an imaginary problem? If someone is too hesitant, somehow awkward, just buy the PS4 version.

Last edited:
Its very possible it's simply a pricing error in that region.

It still makes sense for them to have two different skus though. Even if they are priced the same.

I can definitely understand having two SKUs then. But I just found it weird that there are different prices for the PlayStation ones while Xbox was still stuck on last gen prices.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Ok, why would I buy the PS5 version on PS5 then try to downgrade when it doesn't run on PS4 to begin with? Are we making an imaginary problem? If someone is too hesitant, somehow awkward, just buy the PS4 version.

Idk why would you? Nobody has a problem here except you.

Faithless83

Banned
And why in the world would you care if it "devalues the console" though?

I'm not calling everyone petty and I don't feel "entitled" to console exclusives releasing on PC.

I'm confused why any consumer would think it's a bad thing. What exactly do you mean by the Nintendo example? That due to exclusivity Nintendo can charge $60 for shoddy ports? Can charge high prices for cheap hardware? Where do consumers benefit again?
If Nintendo didn't kept everything exclusive, they would be dead on the water. Why buy a Switch if you can play it on better machines?
They did it to survive, so let's explain again what happened:

Exclusives drive consoles sales > Console sales drive ports (as devs can't ignore the installed base and publishers see the money opportunity) > More games drive console sales (don't think I have to explain that one) > repeat.

Switch has Doom and fucking Witcher 3 ports. Do you believe anyone would go for the trouble if it wasn't a success sales wise?

Hence why consoles exclusives matter. I have friends that mainly game on PC that "had" to buy PS4 for its exclusives.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I can definitely understand having two SKUs then. But I just found it weird that there are different prices for the PlayStation ones while Xbox was still stuck on last gen prices.
Again this is possibly just a pricing error for that region or perhaps that region has some type of weird fuckery going on. In the US for example ps5 and ps4 match for the ERP. (For Ubisoft)

Last edited:

Joey.

Looking to preorder some other accessories for my PS5 on BestBuy and I came across a charging station for the DualSense. Does anyone still have that contents list for PS5? Does it come with a charging USB cable for the DualSense?

Looking to preorder some other accessories for my PS5 on BestBuy and I came across a charging station for the DualSense. Does anyone still have that contents list for PS5? Does it come with a charging USB cable for the DualSense?
I got you, and yes it does

Last edited:

CraZed

Demon's Souls is not cross gen. Neither is God of War, or GT7. Thats unconfirmed.

They said 3-4 years of PS4 support for things like PSN and PS Plus. The general console support. Not 1st party games. They do this for every console generation.
Does anybody even remember how Sony typically does these transitions? A couple of cross-gen titles and peeps are losing their ish. Sony has ALWAYS supported their last gen consoles for several years into the next gen. Doesn't mean that the few exceptions (SMMM, SB, Horizon) at the very beginning of the generation means were going to see several years of first party cross-gen titles.

Okamiden

Does anybody even remember how Sony typically does these transitions? A couple of cross-gen titles and peeps are losing their ish. Sony has ALWAYS supported their last gen consoles for several years into the next gen. Doesn't mean that the few exceptions (SMMM, SB, Horizon) at the very beginning of the generation means were going to see several years of first party cross-gen titles.

What are you talking about? Name me any first party AAA games which were released on PS2/PS3/PS4 and also got past-gen port.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

I'd need a refresher but I don't believe Sony ever did cross gen games from first party before. The usually supported each platform with their own games. Such at GT6 only on ps3.

Is that the case or am I misremembering?

ksdixon

I've got a serious question, because it's specifically the Spider-Man franchise, in which SM PS4 was the posterboy for those early load time improvements to fast travel (15 secs down to 0.8 secs) just by running the PS4 game on PS5 devkit, no special patch apalied etc. I hope that my understanding of that point is correct..

Now, the question: How seperate is PS4 SP:MM and PS5 SP:MM, you know in terms of using the PS5 features like load time improvements or controller?

Is it a case of a coding an IF statement?

Code: if <ps4 SKU> use <hdd settings profile>; or if <PS5 SKU> use <ssd settings profile>

Or does the existence of PS4 SP:MM simply mean PS5 version held back automatically?

kyliethicc

What are you talking about? Name me any first party AAA games which were released on PS2/PS3/PS4 and also got past-gen port.
I think he was talking about how games like Gran Turismo 6 and God of War 2 came out on PS3 and PS2 after the new console had launched.

For PS3/4, I don't think Sony first party did any cross gen games, besides LittleBigPlanet 3 (PS3) and Resogun, that got ported to Vita and PS3. And MLB.

This gen is unique in a sense, because making a game for the PS4 and PS5 is much easier than was for PS3+4, or PS2+3.

Last edited:
I think he was talking about how games like Gran Turismo 6 and God of War 2 came out on PS3 and PS2 after the new console had launched.

For PS3/4, I don't think Sony first party did any cross gen games, besides LittleBigPlanet 3 (PS3) and Resogun, that got ported to Vita and PS3. And MLB.

This gen is unique in a sense, because making a game for the PS4 and PS5 is much easier than was for PS3+4, or PS2+3.
i think this is the first-gen, for Sony at least, where crossgen is easier to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom