• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shmunter

What did Microsoft stand to gain by delaying Series X pre-orders til Sept 22?

Sony announced price and opened pre-orders hours later. Now everyones spent their money already on PS5 - MS didn't even give people the option to order a Series X before Sony took all their money.

Why did MS put this big artificial delay on pre-orders. Seems a bizzare choice. How is this a good strategy in any way?
It’s likely due to not having a proper idea of their supply chain ability. Sony arranged air freight as an unusual step during this pandemic. MS probably spinning in circles.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Hes right tho xbox is never gonna the big single player story route. That much should be obvious by now. They, for sure, want higher user engagement for their games, and def want gaas.
Yes back on talking points the GAAS boogie man. Yes hell blade 2, project mara, the 3 single player rpgs in development yes bad Microsoft. Online destruction all stars and online the last of us good Sony.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
What did Microsoft stand to gain by delaying Series X pre-orders til Sept 22?

Sony announced price and opened pre-orders hours later. Now everyones spent their money already on PS5 - MS didn't even give people the option to order a Series X before Sony took all their money.

Why did MS put this big artificial delay on pre-orders. Seems a bizzare choice. How is this a good strategy in any way?

Could simply be related to their credit "All Access" program. They had to send a bunch of shit to retailers to get them setup for that, which would cause the date to leak anyways, and thus decided to announce?

Last edited:
He isn't. Matt from resetera and Matt Hargett from Twitter are two different people.
Ah, I see. People had linked the two at some point. Probably thinking they we're the same person.

Edit: Thought it was strange that someone said he denied the Series S existence. Had to check the actual Matt's Twitter feed.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

If that's what you got
mP6GRSI.jpg
A retailer is selling the Xbox Far Cry 6 for less than full price before it has released.

That implies demand is.... not good.

Shmunter

I don't understand why people are freaking out over Horizon Zero Dawn 2. You now believe it was all CG? There certainly is a possibility that the PS4 and PS5 contain massive differences. After all, HZD2 ain't coming out this year. If that was the case, than I'd be worried about the original footage. Some of you need to chill before you commit seppuku. I almost feel like creating a Twitter account just so I can bother the creators of these games on GAF's behalf. I'll say, "HEY! Heads are exploding here! Is this footage actual gameplay on PS5 or not!"
We can only hope

wolffy71

Banned
Yes back on talking points the GAAS boogie man. Yes hell blade 2, project mara, the 3 single player rpgs in development yes bad Microsoft. Online destruction all stars and online the last of us good Sony.
RPGs i wouldnt really count. Those usually have many more hours spent on them. And if you find any area that MS does business and they arent looking for a way to make it a service, it will be a first. I personally have no issue with it and usually prefer that style game anyway

LED Guy?

Banned
Cyberpunk 2077:

Cyberpunk2077_Lucky_number_13_RGB-en.jpg

Absolutely looks like crap. Yes. Jesus christ.
I know you're joking, but the game got upgraded graphically, I thought when I saw the 2018 48 minutes gameplay reveal that it would surely get downgraded because of base PS4/XB1 consoles, but as of now, the game got UPGRADED visually, it's unbelievable! This is a Gif CDPR just released today of the final build I presume....and here I compared it against the 2018 one.

This is the 2018 build:

This is the final build:

Last edited:

Shmunter

Sony did air freight for PS4 launch as well so it's not unusual.
Nothing like this.....it’s unprecedented

• Sony is drafting in a fleet of 60 planes to ship the PS5.
  • The company is footing a considerable bill to ensure enough supply of PS5s arrive in the US for launch later this year.
  • The gaming giant is expected to reveal the PS5 release date and pricing information during tomorrow’s showcase.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
thats a funny gif and I get you disagree.

But thats basic economics. If those games were flying off the online "shelf", like say Animal Crossing is, they wouldn't cut the price.

But it does look like Xbox might be sticking with lower prices for games. Will be interesting to find out.

So that means walmart cuts every game in store by 10 dollars at launch because there's no demand right?

You are reaching super hard here.

ksdixon

So... can we cancel Jim Ryan already?
  • No Backwards Compatability - Not even asking for disc-based. Not asking for graphics/framerate enhancements or new features like trophies. Hell, I'd re-buy some games off PStore if they sorted out a PS1/3 emulator properly for PS5, just like the PS2 emulator they have for PS4 but don't make public. Their approach to this is totally backwards.
  • No PSNow revamp - (all game downloadable), just a 'PS+ Instant Game Collection' featuring many games that PS4 owners bought over the past 7 years. Their approach to this totally lags behind the competition.
  • Undercutting PS5 by putting new games on PC, where they don't sell due to being single player and get pirated.
  • No 'quick migration to PS5' or 'believe in generations' by putting 2020/2021 system-seller games (SM:MM, HZD2) on PS4.
  • Loss of PS-associated 2nd Party PS4 studios to multi-console and/or pc development, such as Quantic Dreams (Detroit), SuperMassive (Until Dawn) without re-upping their relationships, or at least securing replacement studios.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
A guy who is vetted as "a rare case developer that has access to both nextgen systems" says a few months ago that series s was cancelled.
As I said already, it really doesn't take more than 85 iq points to figure this out.
There's a vetted report here claiming Series S was a hardware profile devs were told about / had to code to / switch the profile on their DevKits for before it was a physical devkit.

It's totally feasible that devs might have at one point become under the impression this wasn't a consumer device, or that the consumer device was cancelled.. but a profile they had to build for for xCloud.

Since.. we'll probably see xCloud running Series S for 1080p / 1440p users.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

So that means walmart cuts every game in store by 10 dollars at launch because there's no demand right?

You are reaching super hard here.
good point. Walmart does undercut most other retail. thats their whole model. low margin, volume plays

I was half joking when I said it initially. I'm sure the xbox game will sell decent units too.

But I'm not incorrect about general laws of supply and demand.

Walmart and Amazon do lower prices but its to drive demand up. They assume without those cuts, demand would be lower.

The supply side view of a sale is to increase otherwise lower demand.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Anyone with technical knowledge able to explain why DMC5 needs to reduce its pixel count by a factor of 4 in order to double its frame rate?

I’ma bit concerned about how that may bode for the 1440p60 RT dream.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
good point. Walmart does undercut most other retail. thats their whole model. low margin, volume plays

I was half joking when I said it initially. I'm sure the xbox game will sell decent units too.

But I'm not incorrect about general laws of supply and demand.

Walmart and Amazon do lower prices but its to drive demand up. They assume without those cuts, demand would be lower.

The supply side view of a sale is to increase otherwise lower demand.

Amazon uses tools for real time tracking to match prices it's finds at other retailers and or online stores. In the USA:

Cst5Qk4.png

Do you really think the PS4 and Xbox One versions are both going to see low demand? If anything the PS4 will outsell both versions.

Supply and demand is most definitely a thing but trying to draw conclusions based on a sale price of a product that hasn't launched yet thats shared with a digital marketplace also along with an online retailer that literally has hundreds of partners that they work with which can affect the price at any time isn't going to give you conclusive data in any capacity.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I know you're joking, but the game got upgraded graphically, I thought when I saw the 2018 48 minutes gameplay reveal that it would surely get downgraded because of base PS4/XB1 consoles, but as of now, the game got UPGRADED visually, it's unbelievable! This is a Gif CDPR just released today of the final build I presume....and here I compared it against the 2018 one.

This is the 2018 build:

This is the final build:

True, but then got massively downgraded 2 weeks ago:

These recent official 4K screenshots don't look native 4K, meaning soft.

cyberpunk-2077-geforce-rtx-30-series-exclusive-screenshot-003.jpg

cyberpunk-2077-geforce-rtx-30-series-exclusive-screenshot-002.jpg

cyberpunk-2077-geforce-rtx-30-series-exclusive-screenshot-001.jpg

kyliethicc

Amazon uses tools for real time tracking to match prices it's finds at other retailers and or online stores. In the USA:

Cst5Qk4.png

Do you really think the PS4 and Xbox One versions are both going to see low demand? If anything the PS4 will outsell both versions.

Supply and demand is most definitely a thing but trying to draw conclusions based on a sale price of a product that hasn't launched yet thats shared with a digital marketplace also along with an online retailer that literally has hundreds of partners that they work with which can affect the price at any time isn't going to give you conclusive data in any capacity.
Hey man I'm just saying, all retailers would always choose to sell the same number of units at a higher price. Every time.

Only time they cut the price is to push sales units higher than would be otherwise. Not very complex.

LED Guy?

Banned
True, but then got massively downgraded 2 weeks ago:

These recent official 4K screenshots don't look native 4K, meaning soft.

cyberpunk-2077-geforce-rtx-30-series-exclusive-screenshot-003.jpg

cyberpunk-2077-geforce-rtx-30-series-exclusive-screenshot-002.jpg

cyberpunk-2077-geforce-rtx-30-series-exclusive-screenshot-001.jpg

Well, I can say that it is due to the game's inconsistency in graphics, not really a downgrade though, because that new Gif is from the latest build, we'll see when the game releases and compare them 1 to 1.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Hey man I'm just saying, all retailers would always choose to sell the same number of units at a higher price. Every time.

Only time they cut the price is to push sales units higher than would be otherwise. Not very complex.

Then why is the ps4 and xbox one version $10 off in the states? They could easily just sell it for $60?

Which games are everyone going with for launch? I'm 100% in on Spiderman MM (possibly Ultimate to replay the 1st game with all the extras), about 90% on Destruction All Stars (but I'd like to see more gameplay on this one). Plus I'll have Cyberpunk coming as well.

If I wasn't a fan of Bloodborne (I didn't care for the control scheme) and haven't played any of the other Souls games, is it worth a shot for me to try Demons Souls? I suppose I could always see if its on PS Now and try it there.

Demon Souls
Spiderman
Godfall
Destruction All Stars when drops to 50
Also Sackboy

kyliethicc

Then why is the ps4 and xbox one version $10 off in the states? They could easily just sell it for $60?
Clearly they think it will not sell the number of units they want.

Large retail like Amazon and Walmart try to undercut each other or price match each other, (as you correctly said often is with tracker bots,) to chase volume. Not margins.

If Amazon is selling a game for a $10 discount, it could be as simple as them trying to sell more than Walmart will, etc.

These big chains basically operate with fixed volume targets, but will let price drop as necessary to achieve those volume goals.

If they could sell same units at a higher price, they would.

And also, I don't wanna argue on about this, so I'll just add I respect your opinion and we can always just disagree.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Well, I can say that it is due to the game's inconsistency in graphics, not really a downgrade though, because that new Gif is from the latest build, we'll see when the game releases and compare them 1 to 1.

Told you, this is the latest, 1st of September, the newest so far, on probably 3080/3090. You need a big screen, 4K, not a cellphone or 1080 monitor:

254545.jpg

Looks soft as well.

Redlight

What are you smoking? I mean we're fighting here to secure a preorder for the best games console. Xbox probably made very few consoles, so be ready to preorder your box few days from now. If sold out, no worries, you're not missing anything.
True, even if everything is sold out I can still play most of the 'next gen' games on my PS4, so I'll be fine.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Clearly they think it will not sell the number of units they want.

Large retail like Amazon and Walmart try to undercut each other or price match each other, (as you correctly said often is with tracker bots,) to chase volume. Not margins.

If Amazon is selling a game for a $10 discount, it could be as simple as them trying to sell more than Walmart will, etc.

These big chains basically operate with fixed volume targets, but will let price drop as necessary to achieve those volume goals.

If they could sell same units at a higher price, they would.

They most certainly can sell them at a higher price but they choose not to.

You can't say they anticipate low demand then also say they have a volume they want to reach.

If they didn't expect the product to sell then why would they cut the price in order to move more units when the rest of the market isn't doing so? Cyberpunk 2077 is also on sale. Is that expected to do poor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom