• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Weird how people only seem to be on your side when they're hearing what the "want" to hear

IuWzwy0.gif

FeiRR

Banned
52 min 45 sec is a very long bath. Remember to resupply hot water and don't worry that certain parts of your body will be a bit wrinkled and floppy afterwards. Things will return to normal soon.

Please calm, at the end of the day if they are equal, a bit more or a bit less than the other, we enjoyed the ride, or at least I am enjoying this ride, sadly it is about to end.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

Hatsuma

The funny thing is, as soon talk about their SSD being faster (it is) and having a normal memory structure (MS way works just as well, but needs more work. If you understand how game memory is handled, the 10fast 3.5 slow makes zero difference and actually makes sense, I just wish it was 16 dedicated, that’s all. It was done this way because more faster ram needs more power to use, so this effectively frees up cpu run cycles for use elsewhere. The fact it’s slower doesn’t matter, because it will be used for none system intensive processes that don’t require instant delivery.), the ps5 will win everywhere. The actual console won’t be as high as you may think in flops, but as I’ve been saying for a long time, flops are only part of the story. And the faster SSD won’t actually make any difference for the vast majority of things. But the ps5 will still win everywhere. It’s inevitable. I implore you to look at the systems as a whole than the sum of their parts, as I have done all along. Even though I still believe when it comes down to raw power, the SX will have it beat... but power is only one metric.

Best of luck everybody. Let’s try not to all commit Sudoku later.

Gotta make sacrifices somewhere, so the small sacrifice in raw power for a greater sum sounds extremely promising.

KAL2006

Banned
Wanna be part of this legendary thread just like the PS4 reveal.

Last predictions 13TF, better RAM, better SSD, Dualshock 5 has back buttons, better social integration in games without starting the game, and teaser of Horizon 2.

demigod

Can we all chill just a little bit slagging off Jason? Just the other day, you were all using him as a yard stick for how old Tommy boy would be redeemed.

Let’s not move the goal posts just yet. As has been posted, even an 11.6 would prove what he said correct but still give a beast of a machine.

How many times you going to self ban yourself from the thread and then come back like usual with your snide remarks? Own up to your words.

GymWolf

Weird how people only seem to be on your side when they're hearing what the "want" to hear
nah, that guy is equally bashed by both sony and xbox fanboy (and neutral people) in the other topics, it's nothing new talking shit about that guy, him being a click-whore right now is only the icing on the soy-cake.

Last edited:

LucidFlux

As a few of the more enlightened members have reiterated ad nauseam, regardless of what the final numbers end up being the only thing that matters is performance. We've heard both machines are powerful and very capable. How it is achieved by both making concessions in one area and innovation in another doesn't really matter if the end result is mostly the same.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
How many times you going to self ban yourself from the thread and then come back like usual with your snide remarks? Own up to your words.

It’s funny, everybody has been chatting totally fine but the very second I post something even so much as slightly negative towards Sony fans right now, somebody has to have a personal dig at me.

Own up to my words? What words? I’ve kept to every single one of them, and I’m here, on the day of the Info drop, to face the music. As I said I would be?

Get a grip, and stop baiting people out.

nah, that guy is equally bashed by both sony and xbox fanboy (and neutral people) in the other topics, it's nothing new talking shit about that guy, him being a click-whore right now is only the icing on the soy-cake.
Im talking in general, seems all forum folks (mostly fanboys) love a person when they are
saying what they want to hear, then rip & tear when they are saying what they dont
want to hear. Human nature, sure but make you a complete prick of a person if thats
how you roll.

Hatsuma

I’ve said that all along really. The trouble is, you will be waiting a while to see this differential. The SSD speeds are a definite improvement for sure, but it won’t make much difference out of power point slides and closed examples. As I’ve said all along, ingame will be virtually the same, and game logic/asset loading will depend on the game itself. But you’re looking at a couple of seconds versus.., a couple of seconds. Definitely better, but not exactly going to be a win - lose situation. It’s essentially another bullet point for fan boys to argue over.

The memory, I’m still under the assumption that it’s 16gb full, but the speed I was given, I honestly just don’t buy it myself and feel it was a fake out. However...Don’t think that it’s a 16 versus 10 battle. Remember that other things that are in memory do NOT need faster memory, so it’s very much a 16 vs 13.5 thing atm. I do wish, and hope, that MS bump this to at least 16.

I won’t mention other stuff, but Ms have a lot of tools under the hood as well to help with asset loading etc, as im sure Sony do.

The point is, you don’t even NEED as much memory as you would on a pc work station, not with the tools given and the SSDs. It’s not the same thing anymore, and is much, much better. PCs are a catch all solution, they do a lot, and as such need a different approach. The next gen consoles are both (thank fuck) gaming FIRST, and as such are putting ideas into play to help this.

@Physiognomonics I’m utterly dreadful and feel like horse wank. I have a fat bird constantly sat on my chest, heels down. I’m coughing all over the place, and I feel like I’ve run a marathon. I got up an hour ago and I’m ready for bed. Shoot me.

Fuck, that's awful. Take care of yourself!!!

On Demand

Banned
Can we all chill just a little bit slagging off Jason? Just the other day, you were all using him as a yard stick for how old Tommy boy would be redeemed.

Let’s not move the goal posts just yet. As has been posted, even an 11.6 would prove what he said correct but still give a beast of a machine.

Understand the context please.

Jason was the one who mentioned both consoles are close in power and better than 2080. All this time he was saying the power difference wouldn’t and couldn’t be determined.

To now all of a sudden saying PS5 specs will make ps fand upset.

Not only that, he goes on to ridicule ps fans by calling them warriors and fanboys. Where did that come from? He’s a complete asshole. Don’t brag about them being close in power and very powerful to then saying PS5 specs will underwhelm fanboys. Like WTF is that is about?

The only person moving goalposts is clearly Jason.

GymWolf

The kicker is, I won’t be able to watch it live, due to being an adult with a child, meh... And then that floppy haired cock womble Boris will be on at 5pm to talk about how he’s fucked the nation again. But I’ll be checking my phone when I can.
the metldown is gonna be epic on one side or the other, just watch the show with your child and a bowl of popcorn 😆

mitchman

Gold Member
What if, github was correct, sony overclocked like crazy to hit above what we would
That would mean Sony would be incredibly stupid and amateurs in hardware design, they would know MS would likely do wide. Sony does not have a history of being stupid in their console designs when it comes to power.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Im talking in general, seems all forum folks (mostly fanboys) love a person when they are
saying what they want to hear, then rip & tear when they are saying what they dont
want to hear. Human nature, sure but make you a complete prick of a person if thats
how you roll.
fair point, i was just giving you some context about this particular character...

demigod

It’s funny, everybody has been chatting totally fine but the very second I post something even so much as slightly negative towards Sony fans right now, somebody has to have a personal dig at me.

Own up to my words? What words? I’ve kept to every single one of them, and I’m here, on the day of the Info drop, to face the music. As I said I would be?

Is that why you were still posting in this thread yesterday and Monday? You're free to post wherever you want, but don't cry that you won't be posting in here and then come back.

splattered

Nah I dont expect meltdowns... I still expect the systems to be super close. But I will say the argument over who has better games will be 100x more annoying than usual after today ugh

So what happens after 9:00 am PST? Is this thread going away? I don’t remember from back in 2013.
I think we should create another thread to truly discuss next gen consoles and what they'll bring in terms of videogame experience when they launch. Not this leaks and rumours hodge-podge that has been around for a long time and reached dead ends more often than not, i remember it turning into a massive warzone some time ago.

Last edited:

johnjohn

Nah I dont expect meltdowns... I still expect the systems to be super close. But I will say the argument over who has better games will be 100x more annoying than usual after today ugh
We're going to be back to "Power doesn't matter because Xbox has no games" only for that to be shattered in the next few months lol.

That would mean Sony would be incredibly stupid and amateurs in hardware design, they would know MS would likely do wide. Sony does not have a history of being stupid in their console designs when it comes to power.
It would not mean sony or cerny is incompetent at all. What? LOL
There's 0% chance both had the exact same targets and probably price points as well.
And neither have the same method of back compat and that changes how you
reach certain goals

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Is that why you were still posting in this thread yesterday and Monday? You're free to post wherever you want, but don't cry that you won't be posting in here and then come back.

I stopped posting here as a topic of discussion. I actually said I would pop back in every now and then, and I came back a few times to answer a few questions. I’ve been here last night and today because the spec reveal is here as i said I would.

Can you tell me how many miles I have left of petrol in my car too? Because you seem to know an awful lot about my movements and it’s a little worrying.

Just concern yourself with your own worries please and not mine. You’re baiting for the sake of baiting, and I’m not going to bite. Cheers.

Last edited:

Fun Fanboy

Banned

Speaking of people who said they'd be back in this thread when it was PS5 spec times.

Hi guys. I been in the smackdown thread having fun. Where's everyone been? :) Can't wait to see this reveal. Today is the day. May it be legendary!

Dabaus

Banned
Lets be clear, Jason isnt throwing a wet blanket on hype, Sony is. They made the decision to make an under powered over priced lack of lack of backwards compatible console, not Jason. Hes just telling us the unfortunate news early,.

DaGwaphics

So what happens after 9:00 am PST? Is this thread going away? I don’t remember from back in 2013.

Should leave it up for a minute to skewer all the bad projections.

I was too conservative with XSX guesstimates, so I'm going to go in with TF and say 13.3 TF PS5 with 32GB of memory and a blazing SSD at $399. Might as well go out in flames.

demigod

I stopped posting here as a topic of discussion. I actually said I would pop back in every now and then, and I came back a few times to answer a few questions. I’ve been here last night and today because the spec reveal is here as o said I would.

Can you tell me how many miles I have left of petrol in my car too? Because you seek to know an awful lot about my movements and it’s a little worrying.

Just concern yourself with your own worries please and not mine. You’re baiting for the sake of baiting, and I’m not going to bite. Cheers.

"I’ll still be posting, just not in this thread.
So my DMs are open, my Twitter always full of shite, and I’ll be around Gaf as usual. But if people genuinely feel that way, then I’ve failed, because that was never my intention.

Feel free to start posting all the usual running away, crying, petty bollocks that will follow.

Best of luck all."

I rest my case.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
So my DMs are open, my Twitter always full of shite, and I’ll be around Gaf as usual. But if people genuinely feel that way, then I’ve failed, because that was never my intention.

Feel free to start posting all the usual running away, crying, petty bollocks that will follow.

Best of luck all."

I rest my case.

You’re now derailing the thread for zero reason. Well done. Other posts I made said I would be back and forth.

There’s no need. What is it you hope to achieve here?

RasAlGhoul

I stopped posting here as a topic of discussion. I actually said I would pop back in every now and then, and I came back a few times to answer a few questions. I’ve been here last night and today because the spec reveal is here as i said I would.

Can you tell me how many miles I have left of petrol in my car too? Because you seem to know an awful lot about my movements and it’s a little worrying.

How about you two take the childish bullshit somewhere else.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Best of luck all."

I rest my case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom