• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Which is why they should have not blown the announcement load so early. The announcement should have came when the deal was done, like it usually is.
You cant hide a deal that big. See Take2/codemasters. Lots of paperwork to go wrong, it wouldve gotten leaked.

Also what MatrixReloaded said.

I think that Sony managed the expectations poorly in this regard. In Road to PS5 Cerny made the process (optimal SSD-I/O implentation and usage) sound as more automatic and efortless than it really was (without any first/third party distinction of course). This paved the way to the somewhat lukewarm reception of today.
Sometimes companies hype features of their products. They aren't 'lying'. Sometimes the actual implementation doesn't match that hype. In this case just like with MS the features need to be properly implemented to really see the results.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They wanted to create buzz for the Series S/X before launch. That’s why they mentioned it so early.
michael richards yes GIF

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Which is why they should have not blown the announcement load so early. The announcement should have came when the deal was done, like it usually is.
They would not have been able to keep it secret; the intent to buy is reported to the FTC and the EU to start the process of confirming the purchase.

Lysandros

Sometimes companies hype features of their products. They aren't 'lying'. Sometimes the actual implementation doesn't match that hype. In this case just like with MS the features need to be properly implemented to really see the results.
I understand but personally i find an 'under promise and over deliver'/frank marketing approach much more preferable.

Last edited:
I understand but personally i find an 'under promise and over deliver'/frank marketing approach much more preferable.
When a product that will make or break your company is releasing soon stating 'Our product is really average!!' isn't really going to excite the consumer base even if you are successfully under promising. It is totally the norm to try and create excitement about your product or brand. As long as there isn't a stark difference in what you promised vs what was actually delivered(Cyberpunk 2077) you'll be ok.

History is littered with examples of cash being wasted through misinvestment. Having a pot of cash doesn’t automatically reap rewards if the business doesn’t fit and doesn’t generate the returns.

That was really my point about H:I and Craig.

Money doesn’t make quality (in fact sometimes it hinders it through bloated teams).
I think the issue will be what games these teams will make and not so much about
MS already said that they need the deal to be completely finalized before they can talk more about the deal.

Gears and Halo have both always been console exclusives for Xbox so I don’t see why people would think the same would not be the case for Bethesda games.
It won't easily bee the case cause even minecraft was bought by Xbox and so a small other games. Gears and fo
When a product that will make or break your company is releasing soon stating 'Our product is really average!!' isn't really going to excite the consumer base even if you are successfully under promising. It is totally the norm to try and create excitement about your product or brand. As long as there isn't a stark difference in what you promised vs what was actually delivered(Cyberpunk 2077) you'll be ok.
cerny said nothing wrong, the problem is the games to show off all that talk, I personally believe that this consoles where rushed. If I was in charge I'd release ps5 on Holliday 2021 when every problem is fixed regarding the os and firmware issues, made sure it supports vrr, and so on

And make sure it comes out with titles that show off that ssd tech. Be it ratchet and clank, and more. Just like the library of PS4 launch titles. But they failed this. It's just a bad launch and it's sad. Remember when the road to ps5 video came out. Everybody insulted cerny even df cold him a liar, Alex even said ssd's won't improve graphics. There was more dislikes on that video than likes and then the unreal 5 demo came out and everybody in the industry all the devs from mars to Jupiter called him a genius. 🤣 It's a bad launch it's all it is and 3rd party games where never going to show what the ps5 could do atleast not on launch.

Last edited:

lebron james what GIF by SB Nation

EA was originally going to what?!?!?....

My gosh, the execs at EA are fucking clueless. After the disaster that was ME:Andromeda, and then Anthem's cataclysm, they actually wanted to screw over the last remaining decent IP Bioware produces by turning Dragon Age of all games into a Destiny clone????..... W.T.F.?

Also, how is this supposed to be great news? The game just narrowly missed being turned into a steaming pile of shit that has nothing to do with the focus of previous games. It doesn't mean it still can't be a steaming pile. Given the same EA that wanted Dragon Age: Destiny Edition, will have producers on the project driving the developer, I can't see how we're supposed to have any confidence in the end result being anything other than a huge disappointment.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
lebron james what GIF by SB Nation

EA was originally going to what?!?!?....

My gosh, the execs at EA are fucking clueless. After the disaster that was ME:Andromeda, and then Anthem's cataclysmic, they actually wanted to screw over the last remaining decent IP Bioware produces by turning Dragon Age of all games into a Destiny clone????..... W.T.F.?
That's also why they sacked the Star Wars Project Ragtag and supposedly transitioned it over to GAAAAAASSSSSSS.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

EA is also letting studios decide what they want to make next. Titanfall 3 is on if Respawn is interested. Basically what Sony is doing with their studios. Little to no publisher meddling.

I think the next BF being designed from the ground up on next gen is going to be huge. It will be unlike anything else out there and I really hope this shows that EA has learned to trust their devs. Let these studios with a storied history of making games do what they do best.

All EA needs to offer is guidance and making sure they stay on track and manage the scope of the projects. Thats what a good publisher does. The rest should be up to the devs.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Everyone wanted Breath of the Wild 2 news at the Nintendo Direct.

Instead, Nintendo sent out Eiji Aonuma to announce a Skyward Sword port.

Everyone wants God of War 2 news at the PlayStation State of Play.

Instead, Sony will send out Cory Barlog to announce a God of War Ascension port.
Christoph Waltz Reaction GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom