• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, why are we talking about Sony?

I give up! Keep the fight strong muh dude! :messenger_bicep:
Fight? I didn't know I made a joke about the XSS. Silly me! 😜

I think the expectation is that the added power of XsX should brute force past any shortcomings of a e.g PS5 version. The more refined version, less drops, higher quality effects, better rez.

That was the logical outcome, and many are scratching their heads as to why it hasn’t been the case, including DF.
Like the expectation that the PS5 with a SSD twice as fast as any other console would load games in half the time? Sometimes expectations need to be grounded in reality.
No one serious expected the XSX to perform head and shoulders over the PS5. I do expect the XSS to perform head and shoulders over the X1 though. No one should think those systems are on the same level.

Lol, no.

It's more likely the XSS runs the PS5/XSX version with updated assets at 1080p, whereas the XB1X runs the PS4/XB1S version at 4k.

There's more to games than just framerate and resolution people.
Where did you hear this? Does that mean we can expect raytracing and other next gen effects on the XSS? Do you know if things like VRS, Mesh shaders, or velocity architecture are being used?

You have my sympathies, it has me wondering whether he is an expert troll or not.

His arguments tend to jump all around the place only to circle back to one (or occasionally more) of the following:
  • Developers need to do their jobs properly.
  • SonyToo.
  • Sony fans are hypocrites.
I'm not sure why he is so obsessed with bringing up Sony or their 'fans' in every other post. Wondering whether it's like an inferiority complex. Or maybe he is.. an expert troll.
I really like you man. You have anything of relevance to add to the to topic on XSS performance on Outriders or would you prefer to talk about me? I have just as much a right as you do to discuss games and point out inconsistent arguments made by you or anyone else. I hope you are enjoying your PS5 bro.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Like the expectation that the PS5 with a SSD twice as fast as any other console would load games in half the time? Sometimes expectations need to be grounded in reality.
No one serious expected the XSX to perform head and shoulders over the PS5. I do expect the XSS to perform head and shoulders over the X1 though. No one should think those systems are on the same level.
I refute that the ssd expectation hasn’t been met. 1st party has proven the speed of the tech with multiple titles. 3rd party cross gen games still using legacy asset formats and cpu bound loaders easily stand out - that will change overtime.

Engines built around mass asset streaming are yet to come, it’s inevitable.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
I really like you man. You have anything of relevance to add to the to topic on XSS performance on Outriders or would you prefer to talk about me? I have just as much a right as you do to discuss games and point out inconsistent arguments made by you or anyone else. I hope you are enjoying your PS5 bro.

What inconsistent arguments have I been involved in? I very much doubt you can prove that.

Enjoying the XsX too. Let's hope we see some next gen games soon.

Last edited:
I'm not seeing how it's possible.

You can use AI offline in development to upscale stuff like texture resolution, but that's redundant in games development when you already have higher res source textures anyway.

The input to your ML model when inferencing is still a 2D frame. It contains no information about what has been used to create that 2D image. So I can't see how conceptually an AI model can improve stuff like polygon mesh complexity.
This is just an example, but the channel has tons of videos about the latest research on the topic, a lot can be inferred by AI.

One example, but there is tons of work made to enable AI to infer all kinds of information from partial data, no doubt they could train one to redraw an image without the pointy edges or something, especially since they can train the AI on a game's content.

I don't see either of the new consoles do this in real time this gen anyway.

So which Sony games could you guys see being ported to PC?
They said they have a "whole slate of games", but that doesn't really tell us much. I think there are a few games that have a very high chance of end up in PC.
- Until Dawn: This game used the Decima Engine and after Death Stranding and Horizon made their way to PC this one could very well get the same treatment as it runs on the same engine.
- The Last of Us Remastered: With the tv show now being in development I think they would want to get as much people interested in the franchise and releasing the game on PC could make a lot of noise.
- Uncharted The Nathan Drake Collection: Just like TLOU, they would want to get as much people interested in the franchise because of the film adaptation being made.
- Dreams: This one would benefit a lot from a PC release, just imagine the things people would do. And IIRC there was a rumour about a PC release last year.
- Bloodborne: It has been long rumored that BB would be releasing on PC, so it seems it's just a matter of time before this game makes its way to PC.

Wildcards: Uncharted 4, God of War 3 Remastered and/or God of War (2018).

Shmunter

They said they have a "whole slate of games", but that doesn't really tell us much. I think there are a few games that have a very high chance of end up in PC.
- Until Dawn: This game used the Decima Engine and after Death Stranding and Horizon made their way to PC this one could very well get the same treatment as it runs on the same engine.
- The Last of Us Remastered: With the tv show now being in development I think they would want to get as much people interested in the franchise and releasing the game on PC could make a lot of noise.
- Uncharted The Nathan Drake Collection: Just like TLOU, they would want to get as much people interested in the franchise because of the film adaptation being made.
- Dreams: This one would benefit a lot from a PC release, just imagine the things people would do. And IIRC there was a rumour about a PC release last year.
- Bloodborne: It has been long rumored that BB would be releasing on PC, so it seems it's just a matter of time before this game makes its way to PC.

I'm not sure the PS3 titles would go down too well in 2021 unless seriously reworked. More likely Last of Us 2 and Uncharted 4 - although that in itself feels like a disconnect without the prequels being available. See how it plays out.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

I think you bring up a good point about The Decima Engine. It must have been easy to port Horizon because Death Stranding had already added support for PC (Kojipro has full access to the engine). Days Gone over GoW and TLOU2 is another curious choice because its the only Sony game that uses UE4. Again, very easy to port.

That leaves Until Dawn which is on the decima engine but its not a game that they would waste money porting unless Supermassive is willing to do it for cheap. And thats about it. There is something really wrong with the Bloodborne engine or it wouldve gotten a pro patch or a ps5 patch already. Dreams is a great candidate but its a small team and that game took them 9 years to make. i have no idea how custom that engine is.

Sucker Punch, SSM and ND are all using their PS3 engines and while they have been upgraded, I think porting them over might require a lot more work than say a UE5 or a Decima Engine game.

I think Demon Souls is next. I dont believe that the misprint on the trailer was an accident. The game is done by bluepoint who have developed games on other consoles before. I think they can quickly port Demon Souls to PC. ND is taking their sweet time with the PS5 version of TLOU2 so I am guessing they are going to release it as part of a new SKU or part of Factions a year later which should be enough time to do a PC port.

I refute that the ssd expectation hasn’t been met. 1st party has proven the speed of the tech with multiple titles. 3rd party cross gen games still using legacy asset formats and cpu bound loaders easily stand out - that will change overtime.

Engines built around mass asset streaming are yet to come, it’s inevitable.
That's interesting to hear. Despite the fact that the PS5 SSD is double the speed you still have to program for it or else it could end up slower than the SSD in the XSX? I guess as you say Sony titles will use it so that's what really matters but I always thought that the PS5 SSD would always beat out the Xbox one. There was lots of commentary about how it would be a major game changer.

What inconsistent arguments have I been involved in? I very much doubt you can prove that.

Enjoying the XsX too. Let's hope we see some next gen games soon.
I was not specifically talking about you personally. I actually don't know you at all. I was talking about general arguments about what the Xbox could or couldn't do vs PS5 or any other platform.

I am enjoying both consoles but I wish I won the noise lottery with my PS5. Ratchet should be a nice showpiece title for the PS5. Maybe Flight Simulator will for Xbox. Looking forward to both of them.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Literally every big PS4 game, that would sell enough copies on PC to justify the port cost, might. God of War, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, The Last of Us, Spider-Man, Bloodborne, etc. I doubt Sony will port over the less popular games to then only sell like less than half a million units.

Any of their like 10-15 remaining big AAA PS4 games might get ported. Like I bet Horizon Forbidden West will be on PC next year. Will depend on who they can use to do the ports, and how many they can do at once.

They'll keep Knack exclusive tho (system seller).

Last edited:

i'd really be a shame if Dreams wasn't coming to PC. that would really expend its reach and longlivity.

Shmunter

That's interesting to hear. Despite the fact that the PS5 SSD is double the speed you still have to program for it or else it could end up slower than the SSD in the XSX? I guess as you say Sony titles will use it so that's what really matters but I always thought that the PS5 SSD would always beat out the Xbox one. There was lots of commentary about how it would be a major game changer.
Not overly surprising, it mirrors what has been occurring on pc for years. The theoretical ssd speed is meaningless if you’re juggling the data through other components and software layers on the way.

Last gen loading pipeline is baked into the legacy software and api’s. To utilise the new hardware, a new strategy needs to be deployed, albeit likely a significantly simpler one. Ask/get - no need for special handling throughout.

Not overly surprising, it mirrors what has been occurring on pc for years. The theoretical ssd speed is meaningless if you’re juggling the data through other components and software layers on the way.

Last gen loading pipeline is baked into the legacy software and api’s. To utilise the new hardware, a new strategy needs to be deployed, albeit likely a significantly simpler one. Ask/get - no need for special handling throughout.
But the XSX wasn't designed for max IO throughput like the PS5. The last gen legacy titles aren't designed for the Xbox's IO either and isn't the Xbox software also running through an abstraction layer that should even further degrade performance?

Shmunter

But the XSX wasn't designed for max IO throughput like the PS5. The last gen legacy titles aren't designed for the Xbox's IO either and isn't the Xbox software also running through an abstraction layer that should even further degrade performance?
No idea how the Xbox does it, difference is pronounced in bc tittles indicating a different approach in system limits imposed under bc modes between the consoles.

Native 3rd party games are relatively on par indicating cpu as the bottleneck being similar in performance.

Games designed around the new i/o we have Sony examples, not sure which one’s are coded for Xbox architecture. Do you have any?

Lysandros

I think the expectation is that the added power of XsX should brute force past any shortcomings of a e.g PS5 version. The more refined version, less drops, higher quality effects, better rez.

That was the logical outcome, and many are scratching their heads as to why it hasn’t been the case, including DF.
The thing is 'the logical outcome' was based on illogical expectation (incomplete/selective specs), since the reality doesn't work like this, naturally, it didn't materialize. I think DF are just pretending to scratch their heads for obvious reasons. If they truly have no clue about the current situation, they should drop technical analysis altogether.

Last edited:

Loope

I read and re-read that post you quoted, Im not seeing the hysteria. It's a pretty matter of fact post with a prediction based on events that have transpired in the past with the xbox.

I will break them down so you can point out which part of it you find hysterical.

I mean this is what Sony themselves posted.

52d073db71de006b3bbcd4bf5dff3de754f629e3.jpg

I think its as clear as it gets. Their goal is probability and they are exploring expanding their 1st party to PC. They dont have any qualifiers here. No talk of bringing only PS4 first party games. I am struggling to see the hysteria here. I do see a lot of people in denial, but instead of lashing out insults or leaving laughing emojis, I am engaging in conversation which is apparently causing some angst judging by the replies I have been getting.

I think if my somewhat grim take on Sony's actions is causing this much heartache, I'd suggest you consider the possibility that you might be the one getting overly upset by these turn of events. I personally am pretty much over it and have spent the day making gifs and poking fun at the situation.
Like expected as long as you played their tune, that is talking good about Sony etc., everything was fine. As soon as you dared to make an assessment contrary to what they think, lol reactions, delusional, hysterics... More of the same.

I don't totally agree with you, i don't see them putting the 1st party games on the same day on the pc, but it shouldn't matter to sony fans, after all they all have beefy pcs where they can play MS games.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The limitations in BC games for PS5 is more than the Xbox's. That's a fact. Everyone agrees Xbox is superior in Backwards compatibility than PS5.
Issue is that it's pretty stupid policy, because games cannot run at higher res than PS4 Pro titles, which is sad. Not sure why that is, I would expect it to be that you have to buy next-gen remaster, however this fear of mine wasn't materialized. Obviously devs have to pay dev fees to release new version just for PS5. Which in the grand scheme of things is drop to bucket for Sony. I don't think is wise to hold customers like this. But that's just me.

Isn't it already well known now that PlayStation 5 is not as efficient or on good as series x in backward compatibility,
this has been the case since bc games perform worse on ps5 and crossgen similar or somehow the same as series x but native ps5 games work seamless and perfect 1-3 second load times on average!

Shmunter

Issue is that it's pretty stupid policy, because games cannot run at higher res than PS4 Pro titles, which is sad. Not sure why that is, I would expect it to be that you have to buy next-gen remaster, however this fear of mine wasn't materialized. Obviously devs have to pay dev fees to release new version just for PS5. Which in the grand scheme of things is drop to bucket for Sony. I don't think is wise to hold customers like this. But that's just me.
I think they can run at higher rez, but I suspect devs are just doing the bare minimum.

Like expected as long as you played their tune, that is talking good about Sony etc., everything was fine. As soon as you dared to make an assessment contrary to what they think, lol reactions, delusional, hysterics... More of the same.

I don't totally agree with you, i don't see them putting the 1st party games on the same day on the pc, but it shouldn't matter to sony fans, after all they all have beefy pcs where they can play MS games.
Could be just the same trend as usual they'll port some titles here and there after being played on PlayStation for a year or 2 but it won't ever be a Gran truismo, little big planet or God of war. Such titles are what PlayStation is. They won't port this. Ever.

Days gone, horizon, drive club, returnal, dreams will all come to pc especially dreams I can already see a massively modding and creatives community around dreams with the power that pc comes with it'll allow massive possibilities that where a bottleneck on console.

Shmunter

Could be just the same trend as usual they'll port some titles here and there after being played on PlayStation for a year or 2 but it won't ever be a Gran truismo, little big planet or God of war. Such titles are what PlayStation is. They won't port this. Ever.

Days gone, horizon, drive club, returnal, dreams will all come to pc especially dreams I can already see a massively modding and creatives community around dreams with the power that pc comes with it'll allow massive possibilities that where a bottleneck on console.
Man if they put out Drive Club on pc with all the 60fps fruit etc, I’d track down Ryan myself personally and literally teabag him in front of his kids.

I'm guessing PlayStation has a history with struggling bc, they had to have a ps1 processor on ps2 and a PS2 processor on PS3 to support bc it was always expensive my big guess is because PlayStation have always been extremely peculiar proprietary machines..

Meaning they always worked different in API's and architectures for instance ps2 emotion engine, ps3 cell and mark cerny scrapped all that and went back to x86 with PS4 to make it easier for devs and it said probably why it's easier for PS4 to ps5 bc. I mean you can just look at the io architecture on ps5 it's peculiar in the whole computing industry they can't even find a ssd that's compatible..

But Xbox and pc are generally microsofts I mean the first Xbox was running a pentium 3 processor direct x it was a console pc hybrid and since then its always been easier to port games through Xbox consoles and pc it's the same environment.. that's my guess.

Interesting Konami is kissing the FOX Engine goodbye and using Unreal Engine for PES 2022. :unsure:
For a football game it's interesting cause I've always thought football games needed fine tuned self made engines, it's not like they'll use ue5 polygons per pixel or raytracing for anything. What always matters was the gameplay physics engine and the usual animation, facial and cloth/hair physics for close up player shots, I m not sure what unreal will improve.

Neo Blaster

I read and re-read that post you quoted, Im not seeing the hysteria. It's a pretty matter of fact post with a prediction based on events that have transpired in the past with the xbox.

I will break them down so you can point out which part of it you find hysterical.

I mean this is what Sony themselves posted.

52d073db71de006b3bbcd4bf5dff3de754f629e3.jpg

I think its as clear as it gets. Their goal is probability and they are exploring expanding their 1st party to PC. They dont have any qualifiers here. No talk of bringing only PS4 first party games. I am struggling to see the hysteria here. I do see a lot of people in denial, but instead of lashing out insults or leaving laughing emojis, I am engaging in conversation which is apparently causing some angst judging by the replies I have been getting.

I think if my somewhat grim take on Sony's actions is causing this much heartache, I'd suggest you consider the possibility that you might be the one getting overly upset by these turn of events. I personally am pretty much over it and have spent the day making gifs and poking fun at the situation.
Ah, Slimy, never change, you're my favourite bipolar. :lollipop_blowing_kiss:

Neo Blaster

I don't see any PS5 exclusive games in the near future, but for PS4 ones, the sky is the limit.

FrankWza

No one serious expected the XSX to perform head and shoulders over the PS5.
Come on man. We all know that’s not true.

Oh brother. This discussion is all based on speculation. I think a little hysteria either way is perfectly fine. Each person can interpret it however they want. You should make the same comment about FoBoB because Ms came out and said it and there’s people who interpret that both ways as well and it’s a clearer statement than anything Sony is saying here. It’s all speculation until it happens or doesn’t.

This is just an example, but the channel has tons of videos about the latest research on the topic, a lot can be inferred by AI.

One example, but there is tons of work made to enable AI to infer all kinds of information from partial data, no doubt they could train one to redraw an image without the pointy edges or something, especially since they can train the AI on a game's content.

I don't see either of the new consoles do this in real time this gen anyway.

The latest research is impressive and the progress they are making is very optimistic, but it's still a looong way away from being able to redraw a videogame from the base assets in a way that isn't going to produce nasty visual artefacts in motion like you see in that video.

Videogames aren't still images.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Interesting Konami is kissing the FOX Engine goodbye and using Unreal Engine for PES 2022. :unsure:
Christ this fucking company what a shit show to see. It has zero respect for his past roots and his history in the VG industry. Practically it's all about to make more money possible now and nothing counts something for them

Last edited:
The latest research is impressive and the progress they are making is very optimistic, but it's still a looong way away from being able to redraw a videogame from the base assets in a way that isn't going to produce nasty visual artefacts in motion like you see in that video.

I think more and more games will start using ml, since it's adopted on consoles now aswell it'll spearhead the developer so

wouldnt u thinki

Ml is already the future in game engines not only is it going to be used in resolution upscaling but in textures and will be fundamental in game engines I can already tell that it's being implemented in lots of engines, good example is the initiatives demo Of procedural/infinite lossless texture detail or shader trick in the whole environment.

LucasBR

Christ this fucking company what a shit show to see. It has zero respect for his past roots and his history in the VG industry. Practically it's all about to make more money possible now and nothing counts something for them.
You just described 90% of the industry lol

ToadMan

Well, to be fair, MLB situation is baseball league's fault, not Sony's.

It goes beyond that.

I’m just happy Sony was prepared to compromise and accommodate the MLB multiplat requirement or this would have been another 2k/EA franchise.

As it stands the online modes in The Show aren’t total mtx fests yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom