• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Improved graphics as in, that on the PC you probably can dial a higher values, but nothing that they did some more work than on PS5. And unlocked framerate, well if you have 2080 card + it's probably not an suprise that it can do more. 60FPS is mostly like requirement on PC or rather bottom of the barrel type of thing. Which is understandable due to how mouse works.
I think the PS5 is more than capable enough to run the game at an increased graphical fidelity. If the 4.2 tflops PS4 Pro can run the game at 4kcb 30 fps then it should only need 8.4 tflops to get to 60 fps. lots more power available for increased draw distance and more foliage.

I don't think we have any evidence that PS4 games can detect they are running on a PS5.

But Days Gone looks/runs fantastic on PS5.... draw distance is fine too.
Didnt Sucker Punch patch in a 60 fps mode that only got activated on the PS5? Can you even see that mode on the Pro? GoW recently did something similar.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
TCMMLs6h.jpg

zSDdtuo.png

Quite the Dickotomy

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I think the PS5 is more than capable enough to run the game at an increased graphical fidelity. If the 4.2 tflops PS4 Pro can run the game at 4kcb 30 fps then it should only need 8.4 tflops to get to 60 fps. lots more power available for increased draw distance and more foliage.

Didnt Sucker Punch patch in a 60 fps mode that only got activated on the PS5? Can you even see that mode on the Pro? GoW recently did something similar.
But you alread got a increased fidelity with Days Gone, no?

ToTTenTranz

Banned
There is rummor based in drivers data that PS5 USB-C port supports Display Port in alternate mode.
Die analyses also show a display output PHY next to the USB headers.
I briefly explained how that works and its capabilities here:

It's not using the USB standard to send the video signal like e.g. Quest 2 does, it's using USB-C Alternate Mode to pass a Displayport 1.4 (up to 32.4Gb/s) plus a 10Gbps USB 3 data link.
It's basically repurposing the 4 USB2 pins on the USB-C connector to instead send 4 lanes of Displayport for HBR3.

People seem to be missing the key part of this.
proyecto-hideo-kojima-5370992.png

Xbox as a game service by the end of this gen confirmed.
We can see a window to the left: Windows for Series consoles confirmed.

ethomaz

Banned
I don't think we have any evidence that PS4 games can detect they are running on a PS5.

But Days Gone looks/runs fantastic on PS5.... draw distance is fine too.
Yes there is a lot... there is menu differences in PS4 games running on PS5.
But of course you need to patch that new menu for when the game run on PS5.

SlimySnake

But you alread got a increased fidelity with Days Gone, no?
nah just an increased framerate. I consider fidelity to be higher quality settings a la better foliage, draw distance, textures, tessellation etc. Basically stuff you see on PC.

ethomaz

Banned
Die analyses also show a display output PHY next to the USB headers.
I briefly explained how that works and its capabilities here:

We can see a window to the left: Windows for Series consoles confirmed.
Yeap... these evidences shows there USB 3.1 has way more bandwidth than the standard.
And that it will use something like Virtual Link even if the own Sony implementation of it.

32Gbps video + 10Gbps data is enough for VR even in 4k I believe.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
nah just an increased framerate. I consider fidelity to be higher quality settings a la better foliage, draw distance, textures, tessellation etc. Basically stuff you see on PC.
Well we see how it's going to turn out, but I doubt that more is going to be done outside of maybe DLSS and extra muscle of PC.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yeap... these evidences shows there USB 3.1 has way more bandwidth than the standard.
And that it will use something like Virtual Link even if the own Sony implementation of it.

32Gbps video + 10Gbps data is enough for VR even in 4k I believe.
Well you just posted evidence of USB + DP Alt Mode.

Which can't do 10Gbps for data w/ 32Gbps video. It can do 16.2Gb video + 10Gb data, or 32Gb video + 480Mb data.

VirtualLink enables the 32Gb + 10Gb data.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
mark my words. In two years, every PS5 game will launch on PC simultaneously.

Thats how long it took for Xbox games to launch on PC after the first game was ported to PC.

don’t really agree. I’m not sure what they will do, tbh

they could take the Microsoft approach (day and date) or they could go the Take2 route (console first, PC later)

both are successful, and I think Sony cares about getting console versions correctly optimized first and not burdening their teams for launch with a PC release

I also don’t think it will compromise their vision, the minimum hardware requirements on PC will just have to be very high

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It should be as simple as a config setting on consoles too.
Only if you have more extraction layers. If you are "coded to the metal" things like this are not a simple .ini. Hence why these companies have to work on either virtualization layers or patches making sure shit doesn't break.

Also, is Bend doing the port? Or is it contracted out like HZD was?

saintjules

At 1:20, did that just switch into another similar architectural environment (in game) similar to The Medium? Or was it just splice cut on the trailer?

This video has me much more intrigued than I already am for this game, story/setting wise. Already trust Housemarque gameplay wise.

I immediately thought of The Medium as well at that moment. Crazy stuff.

Well you just posted evidence of USB + DP Alt Mode.

Which can't do 10Gbps for data w/ 32Gbps video. It can do 16.2Gb video + 10Gb data, or 32Gb video + 480Mb data.

VirtualLink enables the 32Gb + 10Gb data.

Was just catching up the last few pages. Some of the comments on the USB port were laughable. I guess after googling you found the right answer.

480Mb/s should be more than enough to send sensor data from the headset back to the PS5 for processing.

As for the other poster who wanted to remind us the PS5 has Wi-Fi 6 and that the PSVR2 could be wireless ... just no.

Last edited:

devilNprada

I have a Switch. I've never played it handheld. 100% docked use for me.
I guess that explains why you would play a Mario game on a PC..

You realize you are not taking advantage of the Switches best feature.
But hey you do you... We all game differently...

I just enjoy me a little Mario in the bathtub..

IntentionalPun

Was just catching up the last few pages. Some of the comments on the USB port were laughable. I guess after googling you found the right answer.

480Mb/s should be more than enough to send sensor data from the headset back to the PS5 for processing.

As for the other poster who wanted to remind us the PS5 has Wi-Fi 6 and that the PSVR2 could be wireless ... just no.
What was laughable?

I'd appreciate being corrected.

I thought VirtualLink was created explicitly because the 480Mb/s isn't enough.

edit: But yes, i've been googling.. what exactly is wrong with that? lol

Last edited:

LucidFlux

At 1:20, did that just switch into another similar architectural environment (in game) similar to The Medium? Or was it just splice cut on the trailer?

This video has me much more intrigued than I already am for this game, story/setting wise. Already trust Housemarque gameplay wise.

I'm pretty sure it was just done in the trailer for effect, I think the world changes each time you die/spawn but I could be wrong. Either way I'm very intrigued.

Imtjnotu

I think Sony are holding the big cards close to their chest. Sony love doing big events which attract a lot of attention and hype. I see them doing a big event during summer were we'll see gameplay for Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War and other unannounced exclusives.
What was the last event sony did with big gameplay? God of War reveal?

None of Sony's first party games currently have any gameplay shown outside Ratchet lol

What was laughable?

I'd appreciate being corrected.

I thought VirtualLink was created explicitly because the 480Mb/s isn't enough.

edit: But yes, i've been googling.. what exactly is wrong with that? lol
Your earlier posts. I tagged them accordingly.

Nothing to correct now as you have the correct speeds for gen 2 TypeC

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Your earlier posts. I tagged them accordingly.

Nothing to correct now as you have the correct speeds for gen 2 TypeC
Huh? I didn't correct anything...

I wasn't particularly clear in some of my posts, but I mentioned 32Gb/second for video for VirtualLink before ethomaz chimed in.

VirtualLink was going to be 32GB/second for video though. And it doesn't really exist anymore.

USB-C is just the connector format; the port would have had to be far more bandwidth than USB 3.1.

Used GB wrong.. and maybe "was" isn't accurate.. but VL is considered basically dead.

Last edited:

LiquidRex

For those of you in the UK that would like action to be taken on the issue of Scalpers.

SlimySnake

You have the second weirdest takes on this forum.
it was a joke. the trailer has a scene where she goes back to an area that's been transformed into something else. same layout just different lighting. reminded me of Medium's level switching.

I know returnal has combat. I just dont like ending my posts with /s. Makes them funnier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom