• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yeah I meant Gb.

And true, possible Sony has a custom solution and are being coy about it; but I thought they said 10Gb.

But also couldn't it be 1 cord / 2 connectors? Could use up both USB-C ports on the back or something.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
More than enough.

VitualLink using USB 3.1 to provide 32Gbps of video and 10Gbps of data.
You think Sony is using VirtualLink?

They outright say 10Gb/second in their documentation.

Last edited:
Time proved me right. You dont have to be an insider to see the writing on the wall. You guys have too much faith in suits over at Sony.

Yes, lets bet. We will come back to this in a year or two.

For a next PS4 games? Sure. For a next 1st party PS5 games from Sony? Well, go to jail then and then come out when first PS5 game arrive on PC. :p
For simultaneous PS5 and PC release....don't go back here.😜

Last edited:
From my observation, PC gamers don't play new games, they play strange cursor games and play 1990-2000 games at 1080@100-400fps in ultra low settings. And the master race ones they spend way more money on upgrades way too little on games. Consoles gamers to me seem to be the more focused on games players because they use fixed specs that they forget after their purchase.
nah, that's not entirely true. I think you're describing competitive / esports PC gaming mostly. But there's all kinds of builds and people that play in really cool simulators. If you want good VR, you need to be on PC for example. Any FPS or driving game mmust be on PC too. That's not a dig at consoles, love my console experience as well, but each platform excels at their own thing :)

kyliethicc

Yeah I meant Gb.

And true, possible Sony has a custom solution and are being coy about it; but I thought they said 10Gb.

But also couldn't it be 1 cord / 2 connectors? Could use up both USB-C ports on the back or something.

I think them saying its 10 Gb/s is just telling us the speed to expect if we connect an external storage drive via that port. Maybe it could be faster when connected to a headset and transmitting power, data, video and audio.

Sony have intentionally avoided making any of their official PS5 accessories use the PS5's front USB-C port for a reason. (And PS5 does not have any USB-C ports on the back. And those USB-A ports wouldn't work.)

And they've done custom USB before. Their proprietary PS4 Camera port on PS4 was just a customized USB-A port.

I wonder why it wasn't possible to go wireless here... it has downsides but the VR freedom is unmatched.

I hope they'll at least go with a very long cable.
Wireless means they'd have to add an internal battery and extra processing power. That adds cost & weight and bulk.

I agree the 1 cable needs to be very long. Hopefully like 10 meters lol.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nah... the head of WWS would simply and more sensibly decide that games specifically designed for PS5's unique hardware features aren't going to launch on PC in the first place.

You're making the mistaken assumption that a small handful of late ports are an indication that Sony is going to launch every game on PC. They aren't. So your final line about leaving $50-100 million on the table is moot. By that logic, U4, TLOUII, Dreams, Spiderman, Until Dawn etc etc should have all gone to PC too... they didn't.
Sure, but I would add that it would be nice if PS5 received patches for the games that go to PC to take better advantage of the HW. The top of the line PC consuming hundreds more watts than the PS5 does will be able to beat PS5, but there should be more love given for those game coming to PC with PS5 patches bringing the hame graphics closer to what PC’s can offer those same games.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So clearly PS5 has that USB-C port (@10 Gb/s) on the front for the next PSVR. It'll use a USB-C to USB-C cable for everything. And this is why the PS5 PSU is 350 W. It needed some extra watts to power this headset.

Real question is: how will it track? IR? Cameras?

I hope its lightweight, comfortable, and $399 (or even less.)
Hopefully they can spend most of its bill of materials on a higher fidelity display.
Don't forget WiFi6.

Last edited:

DJ12

proyecto-hideo-kojima-5370992.jpg
People seem to be missing the key part of this.
proyecto-hideo-kojima-5370992.png

Xbox as a game service by the end of this gen confirmed.

Sure, but I would add that it would be nice if PS5 received patches for the games that go to PC to take better advantage of the HW. The top of the line PC consuming hundreds more watts than the PS5 does will be able to beat PS5, but there should be more love given for those game coming to PC with PS5 patches bringing the hame graphics closer to what PC’s can offer those same games.

I don't disagree, but how do we know that PS5 patches aren't in the works, providing considerably more comprehensive upgrades than just the resolution and framerate increases that playing on PC would provide?

SSfox

Bruh what they're gonna show? Better not show or announce other PC ports or i'm gonna kill somebody hhhhhhh

Sorry emotions are too hot...

Seriously tho would be cool to see news about GOW2, GT7 the two SWW game i'm looking forward the most, other games i would like to see news about Elden Ring, next VF news also but it's unlikely for the latest i think tho.

saintjules

Yeah, probably, but i thought it was pretty much off the table since Sony usually do their State of Plays the first week of the month

Ah I see. Haven't caught that, but thought they did those at random. I'd have to check the history again. Seems the last couple have been on a Thursday I think.

pratyush

Well Jim says stuff and then back tracks. One day exclusives are everything for PS, now they want PC space too, one moment day 1 release is not possible on PS+, now they are exploring optlons, one moment we want to develop games for next generation then it becomes how we can ignore PS4.

So I would take his more games on PC with grain of salt. Mostly it will be last gen games being ported to PC. Also anyone who think Sony put so much effort and money in developing state of the art I/O system just to junk it for PC ports is moron.

Reactions: Rea

icerock

Several of their third party exclusive games are releasing alongside PC if not within 3 months. Deathloop, Tokyo Ghostwire, FFX16 all had PC release dates either at launch or only a few months after launch. So it's already happening.

I dont think Sony is run by idiots but you are giving these suits too much credit. They chase money and short term profits over everything. They only care about short term profits because it helps their bonuses. The Sony of old is now gone. All those guys who came up with PS1 (Shawn Layden, Shu, Jack Tretton, Andrew House and Kaz) are all gone. Whats left is Jim and a bunch of other newer execs who clearly dont understand why exclusives are what made Sony so successful. It was GTA3, MGS2, FFX in the PS2 era and first party games like Uncharted, GoW and TLOU in the PS3 and PS4 era. We all knew this which is why we shit on Microsoft all the time. Because MS clearly doesnt understand why exclusives are so important.

You can look at Xbox One's lifetime sales and see how they took a nose dive after they announced everything will come to PC. Even the best most powerful mid gen console's launch didnt stop the complete crash of their sales. PC gaming on the other hand became bigger and more popular than ever.

You are right, there are plenty of reason why people buy consoles but its bad business to give people fewer reasons to own consoles. And thats what both Sony and MS are doing. I dont know about you but I did not buy an xsx because my rtx 2080 will basically play everything at xsx settings. MS lost a sale there. I know many Sony fans here said the same thing. Nioh 2 just got a DLSS 2.0 patch and you are literally getting 50 more frames per second with the same IQ. Why would I buy Horizon on consoles now? Especially in the future once im able to secure a 3080 and run everything at not just double but quadruple the framerate? Because of ease of access or because my family owns a PS5?

People like me and you are the whales. We spend more than the casuals and we are gonna go to PC. Andrew House knew this and him making the Pro was primarily driven by his fear that people like us would go to PC mid gen. Jim knows this too and couldnt care less.

Some good points in there, but I think you're reaching on some of the issues/potential issues which haven't arisen yet.

I don't think Jim Ryan of all people doesn't recognise the value of exclusives. He wouldn't be sanctioning all sorts of money-hats if it wasn't beneficial to the platform. All of these deals cost a pretty penny, the core idea being to make your platform more appealing for that particular title. Many timed exclusives do launch alongside PC sure, but at the end of day, it would cost Sony more money to lock another platform out of release. They just don't perceive PC platform to be a major threat, whereby it's worth shelling out money to have another platform miss release on a 3rd party game. And for good reason too, revenue stream from PC is nowhere as lucrative (at least on software front) compared to consoles. For first party, it is quite different, they hold all the cards, they don't have to spend extra to make their own software an appealing buy on their platform. They can just wait for sales to die down on the console hardware, before they port it to PC to get little more revenue out of that particular title. Like a second wind.

I know MS started with day and date release soon after first port showed up, but the situation is quite different, their software weren't selling at all. And, the beginnings of subscription based service also played a big role whereby the bigger reach you have is better. Think for yourself, MS had access to PC playerbase all along, from the time they launched Xbox, yet they never released any of their exclusive software on it. All money-hats were locked for Xbox only players too. Why do you think that is? It's simply because there isn't as much revenue in PC gaming on software side, as its on consoles. Landscape has changed tremendously since then for PC, but AAA software still don't sell that well. You have few aberrations like CyberPunk but for vast vast majority, the revenue split is miniscule.

Overall, I understand some of the future implications of it. There is a danger to PlayStation business where such practices could eventually eat into their revenue and ultimately backfire. But, for that to happen PC gaming would have to grow at a pace where it eventually catch up to consoles when it comes to sheer engagement and revenue. I don't know how realistic that is. The original point which I made about why masses buy consoles over PC will always remain true. The hardcore which post on this forum and the other don't even matter, because ultimately we'd add more money than an average joe to their revenue stream. That is why they are moving further on this strategy, because your average joe doesn't care if next TLOU is also playable on PC few months after it hits the console. They'll just buy a box which allows them cheapest entry to that front, and it'll never be PC gaming simply because the hardware will be always more expensive.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
in my defense, I raised the same concerns when Phil started taking xbox to PC and let's just say their mediocre to straight up awful output since then has proven me right. It was Xbox fans mocking me back then while Sony fans agreed with me that exclusives are important because of a focus on a single SKU, coding to the metal, etc. My stance has remained the same. At worst, I am consistent.

Sony studios are more talented, but they cant say no when Jim comes to them asking them to port shit to PC or fix bugs after an outside studios fucks up the ports. The moment they tell Jim that Ratchet cant be ported to PC because the level warping can only be done on PS5 hardware, he will tell them to stop developing games that cant be ported. No one is going to lose out on $50-100 million in guaranteed revenue because some dev wanted to use the PS5 i/o.

The revenue numbers arent that high, and i suspect it will always be older games so the studios arent forced to dev for pc at launch

ethomaz

Banned

I think you mistook what VirtualLink is... it is an alternate mode of USB 3.1 that allow transfer of 32Gbps video + 10Gbps data... it only reach theses speeds when in that alternate mode.

When plugged with a normal USB device you have only 10Gbps bandwidth because it works as a standard USB 3.1.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The revenue numbers arent that high, and i suspect it will always be older games so the studios arent forced to dev for pc at launch
I think i saw that horizon sold 700k copies on pc at launch. That's close to $50 million already.

I think if Sony wants to port older games they should perhaps start with porting ps3 classics to ps4. We have been begging for kz, motorstorm, resistance etc to be ported over to ps4. They never updated the uncharted collection to support the pro either. Bloodborne, driveclub, never got a pro patch and horizon never got a ps5 patch.

GG was forced to step in and help fix the pc version. No one forced them to add a 60 fps patch for the ps5. It's clear to me which consumer Sony cares about more.

Voidout

I think i saw that horizon sold 700k copies on pc at launch. That's close to $50 million already.

I think if Sony wants to port older games they should perhaps start with porting ps3 classics to ps4. We have been begging for kz, motorstorm, resistance etc to be ported over to ps4. They never updated the uncharted collection to support the pro either. Bloodborne, driveclub, never got a pro patch and horizon never got a ps5 patch.

GG was forced to step in and help fix the pc version. No one forced them to add a 60 fps patch for the ps5. It's clear to me which consumer Sony cares about more.
Yeah they are diverting their focus. It's pretty obvious. Days gone pc has graphical enhancements (foliage, FOV) that aren't being patched into the ps5 version which could easily do it.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

I’d love it but there’s no money to be made porting ps3 games.

SSfox

Anime has obviously ruined your appreciation of a reasonable female appearance. Am I right IntentionalPun?
Nah he's right, the girl herself is toptier, but those videos and contents are meh. It was little fun with videos that were base on next gen launch, and that's it lol In My opinion.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
there are rumours about shifting even engines of first party games to be more platform agnostic
The engine itself means having an additional backend on top of the PC one, I doubt that they will want to start having to factor in PC’s when designing PS5 graphics API’s or future console HW.

Engine having platform support and the game being coded in a platform agnostic way since the beginning and not just ported later (and sold for an additional amount :)) are two different things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom