• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andodalf

Banned
I think the potential functionality of the PS5's I/O won't be exploited by 3rd party developers unless when it comes to loading times, I think we'll see the real magic when it comes to first party games. I could be wrong, the PS5 was built and architected around the Unreal Engine 5 and I remember reading a quote from one of the Epic developers stating they re-wrote UE5's I/O subsystems with the PS5's I/O in mind. Here's the actual quote from Nick Penwarden:

Although I don't think this is the case with Assassin's Creed Valhala, I think it's likely that we're seeing an early build of the game which lacks a lot of optimisation and this could be due to a number of reasons, I think it will end up looking identical on both the PS5 and Series X.

That quote is and will always be in reference to spinning platters. UE5 will benefit from a Sata SSD, let alone NVME of any kind

Sinthor

Gold Member
I think the potential functionality of the PS5's I/O won't be exploited by 3rd party developers unless when it comes to loading times, I think we'll see the real magic when it comes to first party games. I could be wrong, the PS5 was built and architected around the Unreal Engine 5 and I remember reading a quote from one of the Epic developers stating they re-wrote UE5's I/O subsystems with the PS5's I/O in mind. Here's the actual quote from Nick Penwarden:

Although I don't think this is the case with Assassin's Creed Valhala, I think it's likely that we're seeing an early build of the game which lacks a lot of optimisation and this could be due to a number of reasons, I think it will end up looking identical on both the PS5 and Series X.

I tend to agree though I think it WILL be exploited by 3rd parties as long as there's not too much effort involved. Certainly not this early on with a game like Valhalla. But we'll see. If it's not a huge deal for devs then I would think mid to late gen titles might show some of that increased density, etc. and go beyond the loading times.

But...even if they don't take advantage of that...I expect these two machines to be really damn close to each other, at least when it comes to the 3rd party titles.

BigBooper

If I were to get one for media capabilities, is the next generation going to be pretty much the same? I ended up with an Xbox One S just because of 4K bluray.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Spider-Man: Miles Morales Dev Says We're Just 'Scratching the Surface' of the PS5 Hardware

“It feels like we’re just scratching the surface of what you can do with hardware like [the PS5],” says Fitzgerald. “That we sort of can take a game model like Spider-Man and make everything really fast. Even the Ratchet and Clank game we’re working on is leaning into that, a lot.”

Fitzgerald says that developers will have “years and years of scraping more and more performance” out of the PS5 and doing things that are “crazier and crazier.”

vpance

Some pics I grabbed, need better quality video though.
Frame00016.png

Frame01502.png
Frame03979.png

Frame05349.png
Frame06018.png

Frame07565.png
Frame06616.png

Frame08167.png
Frame08706.png

Frame11197.png
Frame26238.png

Frame27855.png
Frame26416.png

Frame28030.png

XSX looks a little blurrier. Could be textures or lower res, or both.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
End of gen Sony sells like crazy though. After PS4 gets a price drop it’s gonna sell 10’s of millions still for all the people who never purchased one. Xbox and Nintendo gamers who want to play exclusives and kids who age up from handhelds. Imagine what a GoW2 or HZD2 PS4 bundle will sell @$249 or $199 Black Friday next year?
i don't care about sales.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Spider-Man: Miles Morales Dev Says We're Just 'Scratching the Surface' of the PS5 Hardware

Aside from ray tracing they haven't even scratched the surface. There are no other next gen features in miles.

No dynamic lighting like Lumens or ray traced GI. No destruction. No physics. Npc behavior is still last gen. Character models look last gen. Everything about it is last gen save for Ray tracing.

Last edited:

inflation

Aside from ray tracing they haven't even scratched the surface. There are no other next gen features in miles.

No dynamic lighting like Lumens or ray traced GI. No destruction. No physics. Npc behavior is still last gen. Character models look last gen. Everything about it is last gen save for Ray tracing.
Most importantly the new Geometry Engine. We could see more if it's a PS5 exclusive.

renx

Really pushing that PS5 hard right Riky Riky ?

Yeah, that was pretty ridiculous, tbh.
Actually PS5 is probably more powerful than the Series X. Unreal Engine 5 developers seem to believe that.
And how could it be more powerful than the Series X?
My guess is that engines are changing, and now the IO throughput will have quite a lot more weight, compared to a 17% gpu difference.

thelastword

Banned
Neither does Xbox
Richard went out of his way to show that PS5 could not output 8K and XBOX could, but I never saw him actually show 8k content on the XBOX or an 8K Dash....Very interesting...

However this is what Sony said of 8K....

Sony is working on a software update that’ll enable the PS5 to output 8K content, the company revealed in a giant FAQ for the console, which goes on sale this Thursday. “PS5 is compatible with 8K displays at launch, and after a future system software update will be able to output resolutions up to 8K when content is available, with supported software,” Sony says.

VRR and those pushing it are going to rue the day they did.........About two persons have VRR televisions and your framerate must be generally above 40fps to make it viable......Using VRR as an excuse for choppy games with tearing is going to encourage alot of sub-optimized and subpar performance for the majority of 4k tv owners with no VRR...

kyliethicc

VRR and those pushing it are going to rue the day they did.........About two persons have VRR televisions and your framerate must be generally above 40fps to make it viable......Using VRR as an excuse for choppy games with tearing is going to encourage alot of sub-optimized and subpar performance for the majority of 4k tv owners with no VRR...

For this gen of consoles, here is how devs should use VRR (considering most TVs do not have it):

1. For most users
- still focus on a core game frame rate (30 or 60) that is consistent aka "locked" and capped

2. For VRR users
- offer the option to uncap that frame rate and let it run as high as possible. maybe lower res to let it push higher FPS

Like if a shooter can hit a solid 60 FPS in 4K, then offer another option to uncap it, and maybe lower resolution to 1440p and let the frame rate run wild. That way 120 Hz w/ VRR (HDMI 2.1) TV users can try that option too.

Key is don't force most users to deal with tearing, but give the option for VRR display users

ToadMan

Ok I'm back here, but let's get things straight:

@EviLore is resorting to his dirty tactics and has been harassing me lately and sending his goons like @Mod of War to push me around and ban me. He's worried that the "new cool kid in the hood" is getting all the attention and love, going the extra mile by deleting and blocking all the love PM's to me from hot chicks in here.

gaf.jpg

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, he's getting pushed inside his own turf, feeling the heat, but he's only pushing me like an Xbox Series S pushing a PS5. He's afraid that I will rebel and dethrone him and bring back the glory days of SonyGAF.

So now I need to make a historical reminder, as the ambassador of Oman in NeoGAF to the US president in NeoGAF:

The two countries [Oman and USA] formalized their relationship when they signed the “Treaty of Amity and Commerce” in 1833 — the first bilateral accord between the U.S. and an Arab Gulf state. In 1840, the Sultan’s envoy Ahmad bin Na’aman sailed to New York on the Sultanah, and bin Na’aman became the first Arab diplomat accredited to the U.S. The Sultanah was also the first Arab ship to sail to the United States. In 1880, the U.S. established its first Consulate in Muscat in order to strengthen political and economic ties with Oman.

The Twentieth Century

Oman and the United States expanded their trade and diplomatic relations in 1958, when they signed the “Treaty of Amity, Economic Relations, and Consular Rights” in Salalah. In 1972, the United States opened its Embassy in the capital of Muscat and the Sultanate opened its embassy in Washington D.C. the following year. Oman and the United States signed a military cooperation agreement In 1980, which was revised and renewed in 2010, continuing its close military partnership

07-SultanGift-26.jpg

...Such a voyage finally took place in 1839, in part because of the urgings of a visiting American shipmaster representing the New York firm of Scoville and Britton. Sayyid Sa'id's ship, Sultana, the same vessel that had been sent to the aid of the stricken Peacock, sailed from Muscat on December 23. After touching Zanzibar and St. Helena, she arrived in New York harbor on April 30, 1840. Aboard as supercargo and as Sayyid Sa'id's special emissary was his secretary Ahmad bin Na'aman, charged with delivering letters and gifts for the President of the United States and purveying a cargo of Omani dates, Persian wool carpets, and Mokha coffee loaded at Muscat, as well as various articles from agreed that they might be accepted on behalf of the government of the United States. Some, such as two Arabian stud horses, were sold at auctions—one to a member of former President Jackson's Cabinet, General John Eaton of Tennessee. Proceeds were deposited in the United States Treasury. Others, such as a Persian carpet, a gold-mounted sword and minor gifts, were accepted on the condition that they belonged to the United States.

TL;DR: WHERE ARE MY FUCKING PONIES!!!

giphy.gif

4Cg60wa.png

3liteDragon

Launch titles are never an indication of what the hardware’s capable of (these games are still being developed for new hardware with cross-gen engines), I think GoW2’s gonna be our first glimpse into what the custom Geometry Engine is really capable of pulling off. It’s probably the most overlooked feature on the console imo and is gonna be a game-changer going forward this generation.

jose4gg

I just wish Sucker Punch is able to scale that engine they have right now with Ghost of Tsushima, and that they can deliver at consistent base a new type of Assasins Creed, I just love the multi era thing and be able to explore the past, but Ubisoft is not innovating in that front like they use to.

onesvenus

Seems like there is a weird bug with external drives and/or rest mode. Think Jeff might have allude it in the last hot-spot podcast either in reference to the ps4?

Not with external drives. That message usually appears when an external drive hasn't been properly ejected. If the console is crashing it's not being correctly ejected and that message appears. It's a consequence, not the cause

reksveks

Not with external drives. That message usually appears when an external drive hasn't been properly ejected. If the console is crashing it's not being correctly ejected and that message appears. It's a consequence, not the cause
Yeah, something related to rest mode seems to be the cause. I would wonder if its an os level issue instead of being a specific game?

Isn’t this the same issue reported by ACG and others that broke their system?

Edit:

For all we know ACG's the one the system broke. Yong Yea's system is still running just fine. In Yong Yea's case Sony Engineers contacted him to let him know that a fix is on it's way as it's pertaining to google wifi routers that's causing the system to turn off when in rest mode.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Guys Ps5 doesn't have better textures on AC is just the video resolution. It's a cross gen game they're nearly identical.

The true next gen showcases are Spider Man & Demon Souls, we're just getting started, Ps5 is a hugely custom Console, no it's not Ps3 like that it'll take 4 years before a true next gen game (Killzone 2) but it'll take more than mere months, let alone launch window.

I know it's all fun we here saying shit & having fun sometimes but on a serious note, both these Consoles will deliver outstanding games at both 30 or 60fps with even new techniques that are being perfected as we speak.

sinnergy

Both are also not next gen show cases as 1 is a remaster constrained by old game concepts and the other is cross gen.

But for games they look very good in the new machines .

Wasn't aware the Series S was only 30fps for Valhalla

Really pushing that PS5 hard right Riky Riky ?

To be fair, both Star Wars squadrons and rocket league are 120 FPS on Series S compared to 60 FPS on PS5, so I guess this is more like a case by case basis.

Okay what did I miss... So visually is the PS5 superior to XSX with regards Valhalla 🤷‍♂️

no. It’s the other way around actually and thanks to VRR Valhalla runs way better on XSX, no screen tearing and FPS dips.

Seems like there is a weird bug with external drives and/or rest mode. Think Jeff might have allude it in the last hot-spot podcast either in reference to the ps4?

Fuck. I guess this also kills the future possibility of having PS5 games on the external drive.

Last edited:

SSfox

I don't understand some of these over-reactions.

Sony has always promised they support their consoles for 10 years. And Sony did support their consoles for 10 years.

Sony shipped GOW2, a PS2 game after the PS3 launched but the different architecture ensured the game was available only on PS2.

If the next GOW:Ragnarok is going to be released in 2021. Then I assume it will most likely be cross-gen game. Considering PS4 and PS5 use the same x86 Architecture, they will most likely be less effort relatively to port say, GT6 and Puppeteer which were both phenomenal games. These 2 games could have easily doubled its lifetime sales figures if they were also available on PS4. These is one of the main benefits of having the same architecture moving forward. Games made for old hardware don't get abandoned by players who move to next-gen consoles.

If Sony need to be questioned for anything then it should be for dropping Real Time Ray Tracing for Demon's Souls. A 1440p RT mode with RT audio/reflections/shadow would have been exceptional.

Ragnarok Will be ps5 only. If Ratchet is, can hardly imagine gow2 being on ps4 too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom