• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hashi

giphy.gif
That furry pet is soo cute :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

onesvenus

Sony doesnt need DVision because their solutions are superior in the world of HDR cameras.
UHC-8300 (8K@120fps@10.000cd/m2), Venice Camera, 7SIII, S-log (S-gammut3), HLG etc :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
Sony is missing a big thing though, a standard that TV makers can use. In other words, all that knowledge on the HDR cameras field does mean nothing if it cannot be authored to something that even their own TV division can use.

Nowcry

Sony is missing a big thing though, a standard that TV makers can use. In other words, all that knowledge on the HDR cameras field does mean nothing if it cannot be authored to something that even their own TV division can use.

The problem with DVision is that it still does not have enough support in the market. Very few games actually use it on PC.

Speaking of movies, I think the time constraints have removed dvision from the priorities maybe in the future it will appear however HDR with HDMI 2.1 supports Dynamic HDR which also does a good job.

"In a seemingly exhaustive new FAQ on the PlayStation Blog, under the question "does PS5 support HDR10?", the answer given is "yes, PS5 will support the HDR10 specification". "

They have time to implement features.

And casual consumers dont probably even know what HDR is and their audio setup is TV speakers or some cheap ass sound bar

I know maybe 1-2 people that have even 4k TVs yet, rest are using 1080p sets. So they are not in a hurry with new features.

After 2-3 years 4k + hdr is probably more common, as people upgrade their TVs. Most people I know just use their TV for 5-15 years, or until it breaks so it takes time to adapt new tech.

Even I have 1080p Sony from 2014 as it still works fine + looks good enough, even after 10-15h of daily usage. Next will be Sony oled, but they are too expensive here so I can wait :messenger_savoring:

But yes, it is better to support more features than less usually, for compatibility

Hashi

I saw many DolbyVision content on Sony oled TV and its not better than good HDR10 or HLG content. Even good night shots from 7S with good lens without HDR sometimes can look better than HDR videos.
But about TVs you have right. Compatiblity is important.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Seems pretty good, not as sharp as external recorders I've seen from professional youtube channels reviewing Spiderman and other games, but very good. Seems to be compressed in WebM to save a lot of space:

Gives you 4K@60fps HDR record up to 15min. If you want more, you should use PS5's share factory app.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood

Seems pretty good, not as sharp as external recorders I've seen from professional youtube channels reviewing Spiderman and other games, but very good. Seems to be compressed in WebM to save a lot of space:

Gives you 4K@60fps HDR record up to 15min. If you want more, you should use PS5's share factory app.

I think you can choose WebM (VP9) or MP4 (h264) as the recording options at system level. I'll be going with WebM definitely.

Grinchy

Banned
Wow at the smoking xbox stuff. There was another reddit thread from someone else claiming theirs was smoking too (no videos from that one).

That would scare the shit out of me. I had a really old monitor catch fire once and the smell was so strange and I was so scared of it becoming some dangerous electrical fire.

MastaKiiLA

In a way, having the Thai launch of the PS5 pushed into 2021 is a blessing. We'll get hardware that have addressed any launch unit bugs.

DrDamn

This shot encapsulates a lot of the issues we will have with comparisons this generation. Without the banner and prior knowledge of the game and techniques used which order would you have guessed they would be in? X1 is reasonably obvious, then things get trickier. X1X and XSX are clearly sharper than XSS so that helps distinguish that one, but at the top end and specifically in a close screen shot like this the XSX RT resolution makes it look less clear/clean than the X1X. When moving and where you have greater awareness of the environment and what should be reflected it likely looks a lot more impressive on XSX. The still screenshot doesn't reflect that though. I don't think the RT applied to the matt black air ducts on the hood of the car helps either.

onesvenus

"In a seemingly exhaustive new FAQ on the PlayStation Blog, under the question "does PS5 support HDR10?", the answer given is "yes, PS5 will support the HDR10 specification". "

They have time to implement features.

And casual consumers dont probably even know what HDR is and their audio setup is TV speakers or some cheap ass sound bar

I know maybe 1-2 people that have even 4k TVs yet, rest are using 1080p sets. So they are not in a hurry with new features.

After 2-3 years 4k + hdr is probably more common, as people upgrade their TVs. Most people I know just use their TV for 5-15 years, or until it breaks so it takes time to adapt new tech.

Even I have 1080p Sony from 2014 as it still works fine + looks good enough, even after 10-15h of daily usage. Next will be Sony oled, but they are too expensive here so I can wait :messenger_savoring:

But yes, it is better to support more features than less usually, for compatibility
I know PS5 supports HDR10, I was answering a post that claimed that having a good HDR in cameras would somehow translate to having amazing HDR output. If they are outputting in HDR10 they have the same limitations as everybody else

MastaKiiLA

LOL
The interface was only in the Menu, after the load / two the appearance of just a puff of smoke

Here's another one.... Fake or genuine 🤷‍♂️

Really stupid question, but have the affected gamers found the smoking to be fatal? Is the box pretty much cooked at that point, and they have to return it, or is it possibly just some resin burning off the surface of the vapor chamber?

LiquidRex

It's real, there's people on reddit having the same problem. Hopefully it's not widespread.

Still I would get a bit scared looking at all that smoke coming out of my console.
I can see people claiming fire damage if say you were to leave the console on standby and bugger off to bed. 😲

It's worrying.

thelastword

Banned

Seems like there is a weird bug with rest mode. Think Jeff might have allude it in the last hot-spot podcast either in reference to the ps4?

Updated to better indicate the cause

Maybe it's the patch Spiderman Remastered had that transfers your PS4 saved game to the PS5. Maybe that is causing the issue, hope it's rectified in the day 1 patch...

hemo memo

Gold Member
Will wait for it to happen to a journalist

They had the console for weeks. It would have occurred earlier. Both console are going to be fine. Couple of defected units is the nature of electronic products. Simple as that. Not everything is a wide spread issue or it have been reported by journalists who got the console for weeks before consumers.

sircaw

Banned
They had the console for weeks. It would have occurred earlier. Both console are going to be fine. Couple of defected units is the nature of electronic products. Simple as that. Not everything is a wide spread issue or it have been reported by journalists who got the console for weeks before consumers.

You won't be saying that when Alex Battaglia goes up in smoke,

sircaw

Banned
*if* these reports and videos are genuine then it looks like massive capacitor failure? The "sizzling" being the smoke venting out the capacitor(s) like a boiling kettle?

If that is true, that will be a recall, you can not have people sleeping and something starts barbequing away.

I remember a few years back some vehicle dealer recalled all their cars due to some heater or airconditioner problems, it was a lot of cars.

DrDamn

*if* these reports and videos are genuine then it looks like massive capacitor failure? The "sizzling" being the smoke venting out the capacitor(s) like a boiling kettle?

Slightly more worrying that this is presumably happening whilst the XSX is "off" as they woke up to it. You don't want this to be anything more than a few isolated cases otherwise mass recalls could be needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom