• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamwest24

From the ReviewTechUSA video...
yjuC1Jz.jpg

AQeHATC.jpg

mitchman

Gold Member
Probably none of those things have happened, but it is certainly interesting IMO to speculate on how they've manage to make such gains in load times.
As I said in a different thread, I'm pretty sure Sony released a new SDK with a backport of some of the storage api for the PS5, sans the hardware decompression (but now done on the GPU on the PS4). They might also have done a compatible assets id storage read directly into GPU memory, as is done on the PS5. This'll ensure the same code can be used on PS4 and PS5 BC, and should improve read speeds even from a HD.

Mahavastu

As I said in a different thread, I'm pretty sure Sony released a new SDK with a backport of some of the storage api for the PS5, sans the hardware decompression (but now done on the GPU on the PS4).
Do you think the hardware decompression on the PS4 is a bottleneck?

Last edited:

jamwest24

I thought it was already known that Series S was going to use enhaced versions of XB1S instead of XB1X.

I would get that, but the fact that a game that probably has an unlocked frame-rate can’t do it for the S version doesn’t help. And that also doesn’t explain why a REMASTERED for next-gen game that is Devil May Cry 5 being redone for next-gen can’t have ray-tracing on S... it’s clearly limited. I really wanted to like it.

Delpij

I would get that, but the fact that a game that probably has an unlocked frame-rate can’t do it for the S version doesn’t help. And that also doesn’t explain why a REMASTERED for next-gen game that is Devil May Cry 5 being redone for next-gen can’t have ray-tracing on S... it’s clearly limited. I really wanted to like it.

So you wanted RT on a 4TF machine?

jamwest24

I know a lot of Ponies will like this, but it's pretty obvious that most unpatched, previous games are capped by their target device.

It doesn't undermine the Series S as a console. 🤦‍♂️

I wonder how this channel manages to drive such traffic with bad analysis and titles like this.

Oh wait...

still doesn’t explain games that are being remastered for next-gen not having ray-tracing. Especially when Microsoft touts it as a 1440p, Ray-tracing, cheaper X... I really wanted to like it.

Series S is a piece of shit.

I can't believe I actually considered it. Maybe out of desperation because PS5 is sold out in my region into next year but fuck this. I'm going to wait it out for PS5.

Will give me enough time to go gear hunting. I need better headphones and will maybe pick up a nice gaming chair.

jamwest24

So you wanted RT on a 4TF machine?

No, I honestly didn’t expect that and I believed the devs who had issues with it.. But I’m not the one who marketed the system as a 1440p ray-tracing mini Series X like Microsoft has... Always better to be honest about a system’s capabilities and under-promise but overdeliver—especially when the internet is a thing. But Microsoft seems to be doing the opposite. They set this tone in their marketing info.

Last edited:
No, I honestly didn’t expect that and I believed the devs who had issues with it.. But I’m not the one who marketed the system as a 1440p ray-tracing mini Series X like Microsoft has... Always better to be honest about a system’s capabilities and under-promise but overdeliver—especially when the internet is a thing. But Microsoft seems to be doing the opposite. They set this tone in their marketing info.
The funny thing is we'll have two things going forward:
If devs need to make sacrifices like removing RT from a game for it to run on XSS: "Lazy devs!"
If games run the same on PS5 and XSX and don't take advantage of them extra flops: "Lazy devs!"

ArcaneNLSC

Mother of god... I'm beginning to think the "Sold out till 2022" from JB-HI-FI wasnt a typo...

Also Cyberpunk delayed again? Big yikes... ive always had a hunch that this game is going to be an absolute shitshow.

See I didn't make shit up or take what store staff at JB and EB sad to me out of context based off the information that they had at hand and have been instructed to not take anymore preorders

Series S is a piece of shit.

I can't believe I actually considered it. Maybe out of desperation because PS5 is sold out in my region into next year but fuck this. I'm going to wait it out for PS5.

Will give me enough time to go gear hunting. I need better headphones and will maybe pick up a nice gaming chair.

its not too late to realize it. I called it from the beginning. Buying S is just a waste of money. Ud rather wait for the inevitable xcloud tv stick.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Holy crap I would never have thought I would see someone deleting their account over packaging.

Daaaannnnnnggggggg Xfighter

bf8.gif

Was it that people were ripping on the Xbox Series X packaging? Cuz, it looks good to me. Definitely more like the 'Apple' style of packaging that Sony seems to have gone with. But...bottom line...who gives a FUUUUUUUUCK about the packaging? We want the consoles! Cool packaging is cool...I mean I appreciate it. But that really just serves to hype you and help you validate your own purchase to yourself before you ever use the product. So not a big deal.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Let's be real though.. if Sony had premium packaging and XBox's was minimal this forum would be full of memes praising Sony and making fun of MS. (and MS fanboys would be praising the minimal design lol)

This entire forum for the most part needs to take a fanboy vaccine.

You know...I'm sure that just like in ANY group you have some folks that will do pretty much anything you can think of, some people would rip on packaging no matter what. Hell, some probably WILL still rip on the Microsoft packaging. But WHO CARES? The forum in general.....nope.

Yoboman

Was it that people were ripping on the Xbox Series X packaging? Cuz, it looks good to me. Definitely more like the 'Apple' style of packaging that Sony seems to have gone with. But...bottom line...who gives a FUUUUUUUUCK about the packaging? We want the consoles! Cool packaging is cool...I mean I appreciate it. But that really just serves to hype you and help you validate your own purchase to yourself before you ever use the product. So not a big deal.
The second part of your post is why he had a meltdown. Couldn't understand people don't care about the box

Sinthor

Gold Member
The second part of your post is why he had a meltdown. Couldn't understand people don't care about the box

Ah...so the OPPOSITE of people ripping on it. People not APPRECIATING it enough. I see...thanks. Well, like I said, I think the Xbox packaging looks dope. It looks well done. Sony's is very much more....practical and not frilly. Just is what it is. Like I said...I just want the damn console. WHICHEVER one you get, you want the console. I don't feel I'm likely to keep the boxes or packaging around...at least not after I've had it for a month or so and can be sure I don't have a DOA or early fail unit.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom