• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Even the PS5 ITSELF has ray-tracing, while the xsx next to it is like, "...".

yenGo0t.jpg

EliteSmurf

XSX unboxing experience and quality of materials used is miles ahead of PS5.

08CVKul.jpg

3FsBVip.jpg

That's it! That seals the deal! I'm no longer a PlayStation fan! I've been a PlayStation fan since 1988 and an owner of a PlayStation console since 1994 but I've had enough and I’m taking my fanhood to Xbox where they actually know how to package a console. Thank you and goodbye!

giphy.gif

/s

Last edited:

edotlee

• 45.9 million PlayStation Plus subscribers as of September 30, 2020, which is up nine million from the same period the previous fiscal year.
  • PlayStation 4 software sold 80.9 million units in the second quarter of fiscal year 2020, which is up 10.3 million from the same period the previous fiscal year.
  • 12.4 million units were first-party titles, which is up 6.1 million from to the 6.3 million sold during the same period the previous fiscal year.
  • 59 percent of software sales were full game software digital downloads, compared to 45 percent the previous year.

Last edited:

AeneaGames

MS has been in the console business for almost 20 years. Outside of specific circumstances how many 1st party titles have they put on PlayStation? Halo, Forza, Gears? What about smaller titles like Banjo or Viva Pinanta? During those 20 years MS lost every single console sales competition with Sony. Xbox was beat by PS2. Xbox 360 was beat by PS3 worldwide. XB1 was beat by PS4. All of those losses and they didn't put Halo on PlayStation. The market forces said that Sony has a stronger brand but putting 1st party games on PlayStation was not an option. But NOW with this 1st party studio acquisition PlayStation is getting MS first parties right? Due to market forces? I believe that claim is dubious.

Minecraft

xacto

MS has been in the console business for almost 20 years. Outside of specific circumstances how many 1st party titles have they put on PlayStation? Halo, Forza, Gears? What about smaller titles like Banjo or Viva Pinanta? During those 20 years MS lost every single console sales competition with Sony. Xbox was beat by PS2. Xbox 360 was beat by PS3 worldwide. XB1 was beat by PS4. All of those losses and they didn't put Halo on PlayStation. The market forces said that Sony has a stronger brand but putting 1st party games on PlayStation was not an option. But NOW with this 1st party studio acquisition PlayStation is getting MS first parties right? Due to market forces? I believe that claim is dubious.
Minecraft

In memoriam of Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem

Elog

So some speculation from an old tweet

Note what Matt is teasing here, can intersetion engines calculate bounce across CUs ? You can only do that if CUs are sharing more information.

Is this an L1 infnity cache tease or more to do with ps5 custom cache handling ?

There is more to be learned, and some people already know the answer and we dont, so frustrating.

allot of Post processing techniques performance is about speed, caches and sharing data across Cus. Elog Elog this is for you.

I really think he is.

Firstly, as so many have pointed out, multi-bounce RT benefits from frequency since each bounce calculation is performed sequentially to the the last. Secondly, with each bounce you will increase the amount of cached data. If done right I believe the cache memory need grows by a material amount per bounce since you need to store at least two complete RTed planes at any point in time for the multi-bounce RT.

Maybe someone here knows whether you can do multi-bounce by merging the RT reflections into one after each bounce or if you need to store all RT reflections for each bounce before merging it into one picture as your last step (the last variant requires a lot more of cache memory)?

So I believe you are right in your assumption Geordiemp :)

Hashi

I know a lot of Ponies will like this, but it's pretty obvious that most unpatched, previous games are capped by their target device.

It doesn't undermine the Series S as a console. 🤦‍♂️

I wonder how this channel manages to drive such traffic with bad analysis and titles like this.

Oh wait...
True. It doesnt mean that XSS is fully utilized. We are at beginning of race.
I say this despite the fact that I have read many times that XSS is stronger than PS5 - because it has 1440...
And my heart is for PlayStation.

Elias

I find it hilarious that people are still going on about secret sauces when both companies have been upfront about what features they have. If they haven't mentioned them 2 weeks before launch, they don't have it. No, the PS5 doesn't have better rtx than the series x and no it doesn't have VRS or mesh shaders. Better to accept it now.

Last edited:

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

geordiemp

I really think he is.

Firstly, as so many have pointed out, multi-bounce RT benefits from frequency since each bounce calculation is performed sequentially to the the last. Secondly, with each bounce you will increase the amount of cached data. If done right I believe the cache memory need grows by a material amount per bounce since you need to store at least two complete RTed planes at any point in time for the multi-bounce RT.

Maybe someone here knows whether you can do multi-bounce by merging the RT reflections into one after each bounce or if you need to store all RT reflections for each bounce before merging it into one picture as your last step (the last variant requires a lot more of cache memory)?

So I believe you are right in your assumption Geordiemp :)

Here is another interesting thought, the GDRR6 will need connecting to the GDDR6 PHY before cache, which makes off chip cache even more complex, it cannot be like VITA as such.

But AMD would not have 128 mm2 of chip area for L2 cache surely ? So it really is a mystery.

Note large L2 cache and shared L1 are actually different things, we keep calling them infinity cache but I call them L1 infinity and L2 infinity as the really are different, and L2 maybe a memory bus enhancer.

There may be even an L3 on GPU side .....I ahve no idea and neither does anyone else it seems, which is why its interesting.

Anyway, today the mystery will be solved, we may get 2 names for these techniques on PC,. and god knows what consoles adopt.

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
I find it hilarious that people are still going on about secret sauces when both companies have been upfront about what features they have. If they haven't mentioned them 2 weeks before launch, they don't have it. No, the PS5 doesn't have better rtx than the series x and no it doesn't have VRS or mesh shaders. Better to accept it now.
Don’t forget the packaging too. Keep crying all you want, year one on the PS5 absolutely shits on the Series X’s. At the end of the day these consoles are about games.

Dibils2k

That's it! That seals the deal! I'm no longer a PlayStation fan! I've been a PlayStation fan since 1988 and an owner of a PlayStation console since 1994 but I've had enough and I’m taking my fanhood to Xbox where they actually know how to package a console. Thank you and goodbye!

giphy.gif

/s
i am sure you would have been fine without "/s" at the end lol

Last edited:

Garani

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The second part of your post is why he had a meltdown. Couldn't understand people don't care about the box

He had a meltdown because he thought he’d successfully found something he could bash the Ps5 with, and lift the XSX, but I pointed out to him that Sony have probably keep the packaging down for environmental reasons. X-Fighter was a smart chap, and he knew that was a good point, but by that time had doubled down on his position, and if he’d pulled back it would have seemed weak. Hence the meltdown because he’d backed himself into a corner, and everyone knew it.

I hope he reads this and comes back. It’s just such a stupid thing to grenade your account over.

Mr Moose

Series S can't really be judged on some launch patches. I remember launch games like COD Ghosts and Battlefield IV running at 720p on Xbox One, next year's COD was getting to 1080p.

Things will improve over time. It's already pushing 120fps which last gen never got near.
For campaign only, a majority of the gun-toting action runs at 1360x1080 on Xbox One. However, courtesy of a dynamic frame-buffer, there are specific areas designed to render at a full, true 1080p on Xbox One
For Xbox One's multiplayer, the scenario is different. The 1360x1080 resolution is a stuck fixture in this mode, with the 1920x1080 pixel boost simply never kicking in as it does in campaign
Not exactly.

mitchman

Gold Member
Do you think the hardware decompression on the PS4 is a bottleneck?
Yeah, read into CPU controlled memory, decompress and transfer the control of that texture to the GPU. This vs. just reading directly into a texture id controlled by the GPU and let the GPU handle the decompression (on PS4). Should improve performance quite a bit, even on the PS4. Basically, they implemented the equivalent of XSX' DirectStorage on PS4.
That's my theory, at least, but I'm pretty sure I'm correct :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom