• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Highlights from the first test of the Auto-HDR feature on the Xbox Series X

Riky

$MSFT
Not surprised that you see this is an excuse, you're probably very worried for the console and their users?

It's not overheating, and the heat coming from it is like a PC. So again, that's just nothing...

I'd be worried if the top wasn't getting hot, because that's where the heat is designed to be going. The whole point is to move the heat away from where it is being generated.

kyliethicc

I felt like fixing this image with what should have been

wDvD25e.png
Warhawk was so much fun

Axonometri

I'm cautiously optimistic myself.... when speakers are half an inch from your ear you can do cool shit with tech.
I am not talking about Sony Tempest.. I was referring to the horrible virtual surround modes in TV speakers. However, to me, virtual surround in headphones can also be terribly tinny sounding due to the high level of dsp. The latest 3d object based audio however, sounds pretty impressive and fairly clean. Can not wait to try Tempest tech out. Just want it also piped out to my Atmos system.

Last edited:
A new Nintendo Switch would arrive with NVIDIA’S DLSS 2.0

FunkMiller

Gold Member
yeah, this thing was done way back in December when Phil said he took it home. Then DF and others literally picked it apart and put it back together in March. These are the final units and there is not a goddamn thing they can do to fix it other than changing the vapor chamber cooling system or changing the fans.

And lets not forget that they have only been running backward compatibility games on it that are not using the full power of the GPU or CPU. if i had to guess they are running at half power.

I also find it funny that after literally a year of rumors about the PS5 running hot, its actually the xbox series x. First it was no RT and now PS5 has more games with RT and MS is literally shipping DMCV with no RT. Then PS5 being RDNA 1.0 and then we find out the XSX GPU architecture is literally identical to the 5700xt. These guys project more than Trump.

I can't pretend I'm as bothered that I couldn't pick up a pre-order for the XSX, given the information we're getting. It probably will turn out to be nothing, but I'd like to see a clear, independent breakdown from someone about how the console operates before I spend the money. If I were to buy one, it would be in a fairly small space in my tv unit, and I don't really want something venting a ton of hot air.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I am not talking about Sony Tempest.. I was referring to the horrible virtual surround modes in TV speakers. However, to me, virtual surround in headphones can also be terribly tinny sounding due to the high level of dsp. The latest 3d object based audio however, sounds pretty impressive and fairly clean. Can not wait to try Tempest tech out. Just want it also piped out to my Atmos system.
Well.. tempest is also virtual surround. Anything coming from 2 speakers is.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Have you seen how it is laid out anywhere or where it was mentioned? I'm not seeing anything on the die shot or SOC block diagram.
I have not. I am going by the article I linked.

the dieshot just includes the I/O block which is where the SRAM resides.

Mr Moose

Have you seen how it is laid out anywhere or where it was mentioned? I'm not seeing anything on the die shot or SOC block diagram.
There are customisations to the CPU core - specifically for security, power and performance, and with 76MB of SRAM across the entire SoC, it's reasonable to assume that the gigantic L3 cache found in desktop Zen 2 chips has been somewhat reduced.

TV speakers are what they are, cant do or expect miracles.

Cant blame Sony from trying, it is users fault if they dont invest in better audio in the end.

People whom use TV speakers only are happy with virtual surround, if they are Happy with TV speakers. (They have low expectations / needs) so no harm done.

Basic cheapish 4.1 setup as new is like 400€ for good HT amp(sony str-dn1080 is still great, and cheap), 300€ sub and 300-400€ for 4 small speakers. Then they can upgrade speakers later + add more. Or buy used and get 50-80% off the price

If that is too much, they can enjoy their "virtual surround".

Dunno why people are so hostile against this, like nobody is forcing us to use TV speakers if we have better.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
A new Nintendo Switch would arrive with NVIDIA’S DLSS 2.0

Sign me up. DLSS has made me an Nvida Fanboy.

Axonometri

Cant blame Sony from trying, it is users fault if they dont invest in better audio in the end.

People whom use TV speakers only are happy with virtual surround, if they are Happy with TV speakers. (They have low expectations / needs) so no harm done.

Basic cheapish 4.1 setup as new is like 400€ for good HT amp(sony str-dn1080 is still great, and cheap), 300€ sub and 300-400€ for 4 small speakers. Then they can upgrade speakers later + add more. Or buy used and get 50-80% off the price

Dunno why people are so hostile against this, like nobody is forcing us to use TV speakers if we have better.
Me having my own personal opinion on what I like in audio is "Hostile" behavior? Moving on

kyliethicc

Sign me up. DLSS has made me an Nvida Fanboy.
Do you think Nintendo would make a new Dock with a 4K upscaling chip that they could sell to existing owners to use with their current Switch?

Or would they restrict 4K out to an all new Switch revision and put the chip inside the system itself?

SlimySnake

I see a lot of people saying "It doesn't look great, its basically what my high end PC looks like on ultra"

No shit sherlock thats the idea this is on a $400 console.
nah, it doesnt look like a high end pc at ultra. the character models have received a huge upgrade, there is ray traced reflections and there is a lot more detail. PC games are pretty much identical to console versions.

the issue is that the crowd and people on the sidelines still dont look as good and the lighting hasnt improved.

The game also needs motion matching animations. it feels like a half step upgrade.

LucidFlux

I have not. I am going by the article I linked.

the dieshot just includes the I/O block which is where the SRAM resides.

Sorry I must have missed the article, was it the Digital Foundry one? I do see the I/O block(s) on the die shot.

Thanks, it's still a bit ambiguous what all the 76MB encompasses. Or at least how it's allocated. From the size they deduced that the Zen2 L3 cache was reduced from the desktop variants (which was assumed would happen) so I guess it really is the sum of all cache on the APU. I'm still interested in seeing the actual cache structures for both machines.

Bryank75

Banned

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

You wouldn't believe how many people just go through the TV speakers. My bro has a 60 or 65" awesome plasma tv. Giant house.

Yet he just uses TV speakers for the living room.

mitchman

Gold Member
Depends on how you feel about Mozilla. Is it a big improvement over the PS4 browser?
Never use the user-agent string for anything, it will include every rendering engine and browser under the sun because web devs often have no clue what they are doing and will sniff user agent instead of doing feature detection.

SlimySnake

Sorry I must have missed the article, was it the Digital Foundry one? I do see the I/O block(s) on the die shot.

Thanks, it's still a bit ambiguous what all the 76MB encompasses. Or at least how it's allocated. From the size they deduced that the Zen2 L3 cache was reduced from the desktop variants (which was assumed would happen) so I guess it really is the sum of all cache on the APU. I'm still interested in seeing the actual cache structures for both machines.
the L3 cache on the Zen 2 CPU is 32 MB, but Xbox and PS5 are only using 8MB of that. the rest is likely in the I/O block.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Do you think Nintendo would make a new Dock with a 4K upscaling chip that they could sell to existing owners to use with their current Switch?

Or would they restrict 4K out to an all new Switch revision and put the chip inside the system itself?

Good question. I would have to think the Chip actually inside the switch would need to do the rendering as trying to using the Tegra X1 in conjunction with a new chip built on new hardware would likely create a lot of headaches.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom