• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripolygon

Banned
giphy.gif

Shamelessly stolen.

Last edited:

Md Ray

Why the RTX 3080 Isn't as Amazing @ 1440p, CPU or Architectural Bottleneck?

I was watching HUB's latest vid and it's interesting to see how the Ampere isn't as good at resolution scaling as Turing is. Around 8:56 mark (timestamped above), he says:
The game simply can’t keep with all those CUDA cores loaded with work at these lower resolutions and therefore efficiency drops off considerably.
Which reminds me of what Mark Cerny said during his PS5 deep-dive:
Also, it's easier to fully use 36 CUs in parallel than it is to use 48 CUs. When triangles are small, it's much harder to fill all those CUs with useful work.
Yes, he was talking about AMD's RDNA 2 architecture. But it makes me wonder what if it's true in general for high core count GPUs? Just speculating.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Did i say something wrong "lollipop_disappointed:

Yes, you did not bow before the fudd master, it is only I who should be allowed to spread nonsense truth, in here.

Seriously, I was just asking you a follow up to see if there was any legitimate/verifiable reports of overheating or if this was all never-never land silliness at this point.

Which reminds me of what Mark Cerny said during his PS5 deep-dive. "Also, it's easier to fully use 36 CUs in parallel than it is to use 48 CUs. When triangles are small, it's much harder to fill all those CUs with useful work." Yes, he was talking about AMD's RDNA 2 architecture. But it makes me wonder what if it's true in general for high core count GPUs? Just speculating.
It's true in general for any type of distributed work. It's hard because the work needs to be parallelizable., which in GPUs is generally true, but not for every single thing. SIMD works due to the fact that all instructions are executed in lock-step, so no waiting or locking is needed, but not everything is appropriate for that, sometimes you need to coordinate jobs, which is hard and requires locking, waiting, spinning, and a lot of work to keep it all in sync. It's easier for developers to reason about a large single pipeline than 100's. Tools are getting better so the developer can throw a bunch of tasks and it will work everything out, but when the developer needs to take more control, it becomes difficult.

Here's a description of different attributes some architectures use in multi-processor development.

ethomaz

Banned
The UK’s largest electrical retailer recorded record-breaking sales for the recent PlayStation 5 (PS5) pre-order, as the coveted console sold out in just 10 minutes and recorded nearly 90,000 more pre-registrations than Xbox.

Currys PC World’s new research reveals that nine in 10 (88 per cent) of existing PlayStation owners, and 68 per cent of existing Xbox owners have.

the links is in the twitter, when click on it
I said before but I believe more people will migrate from Xbox to PS5 this new gen due how weak delivering MS is having for over a decade already.

Last edited:

Md Ray

Most people talk about the new SSDs or PS5 SSD but what I understood that the SSDs will always get faster in future, on the other hand the heavily custom flash control on PS5 actual is the key here "secret sauce". and that what was Andrea Pessino was talking about back in March. also rumours saying the PS5 GPU is DRNA 3 OR have some features take it with " grain of salt".

"PlayStation 5 is one of the most revolutionary, inspired home consoles ever designed"

rumours saying the PS5 GPU is DRNA 3

ps5-ssd-gdc-presentation.jpg

DRNA 3 :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned

Some of the PS5 games with 3D Audio features include Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered, Astro’s Playroom, Gran Turismo 7, Returnal, Destruction AllStars, Demon’s Souls, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Horizon Forbidden West, Resident Evil Village, and many others.
Worth a thread so i created one for you.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Oh, the irony.

giphy.gif

EDIT:

icerock icerock Sorry, it's your original art work with some modifications! Got it from other source so didn't notice your post as I was lagging behind ;)

Last edited:
Alright. Who was writing the PS5 FUD list? Need to recheck that list.

Everything about that list was really about XSX.
RDNA1.5
NO RT
Overheating
No games ready
Rest of the goofy shit.

It really is the XSX that has all these issues. What a turn of events.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Is this right, so the heat people are talking about isn't even from the shell but just about the air venting out?

If the body is cool with this design I guess they have a great CFM rating on the fan. I'd assume that the PSU and heatsink would push heat to the case just based on proximity.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Why do they keep pointing out "preview units"?

These are retail units.. if they aren't.. WTF are MS doing?
yeah, this thing was done way back in December when Phil said he took it home. Then DF and others literally picked it apart and put it back together in March. These are the final units and there is not a goddamn thing they can do to fix it other than changing the vapor chamber cooling system or changing the fans.

And lets not forget that they have only been running backward compatibility games on it that are not using the full power of the GPU or CPU. if i had to guess they are running at half power.

I also find it funny that after literally a year of rumors about the PS5 running hot, its actually the xbox series x. First it was no RT and now PS5 has more games with RT and MS is literally shipping DMCV with no RT. Then PS5 being RDNA 1.0 and then we find out the XSX GPU architecture is literally identical to the 5700xt. These guys project more than Trump.

Last edited:

LucidFlux

I doubt either PS5 or XSX has that. Microsoft already disclosed their Specs at Hot chips. Sony did the "Road to PS5" in march. 95% of specs are known to everyone . The remaining 5% are the details of the known parts of PS5 GPU, CPU and SSD.

Edit: by details I mean L1 L2 and L3 caches, RT figures, cache scrubbers details and other I/O full dive.

I wonder if the large SRAM in the PS5's I/O complex is related to RDNA 2's Infinity Cache :pie_thinking:

71340_512_understanding-the-ps5s-ssd-deep-dive-into-next-gen-storage-tech.png

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Now it seems to be a issue reading that green guy saying it is preview unit.... he tried to do damage control.
What damage control? Pointing out that the device is a preview unit? He's saying: It's not hot, and it's a preview unit => nothing to worry about

Zoro7

Banned
yeah, this thing was done way back in December when Phil said he took it home. Then DF and others literally picked it apart and put it back together in March. These are the final units and there is not a goddamn thing they can do to fix it other than changing the vapor chamber cooling system or changing the fans.

And lets not forget that they have only been running backward compatibility games on it that are not using the full power of the GPU or CPU. if i had to guess they are running at half power.

I also find it funny that after literally a year of rumors about the PS5 running hot, its actually the xbox series x. First it was no RT and now PS5 has more games with RT and MS is literally shipping DMCV with no RT. Then PS5 being RDNA 1.0 and then we find out the XSX GPU architecture is literally identical to the 5700xt. These guys project more than Trump.
Thats a good point. So we know its running hot (not an issue) but the consoles are only running BC games. So if you was to push it to the max....then how hot would it get?

DaGwaphics

What's the RT performance like on the 5700XT, I was thinking I was going to have to wait for the RDNA2 units to see some benchmarks?

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
He tried to give excuses why it is hot... and he clearly said it is hot.
Seem how he did the opposite to the loud because it is really a quiet machine.
Not surprised that you see this is an excuse, you're probably very worried for the console and their users?

It's not overheating, and the heat coming from it is like a PC. So again, that's just nothing...

THE:MILKMAN

Why do they keep pointing out "preview units"?

These are retail units.. if they aren't.. WTF are MS doing?

The only difference is the sticker on the back I'm sure. Notice how the big outlets get the "retail" units but the YouTubers/Influencers get the "prototype" units. It is a smart CYA move giving the Youtubers the 'prototypes' if any failures occur. Microsoft can just point that out if anything happens.

ethomaz

Banned
Not surprised that you see this is an excuse, you're probably very worried for the console and their users?

It's not overheating, and the heat coming from it is like a PC. So again, that's just nothing...
Yeap... like we have dozen of pages of the issue and I posted every single time lol

Nowcry

Why the RTX 3080 Isn't as Amazing @ 1440p, CPU or Architectural Bottleneck?

I was watching HUB's latest vid and it's interesting to see how the Ampere isn't as good at resolution scaling as Turing is. Around 8:56 mark (timestamped above), he says:

Which reminds me of what Mark Cerny said during his PS5 deep-dive. "Also, it's easier to fully use 36 CUs in parallel than it is to use 48 CUs. When triangles are small, it's much harder to fill all those CUs with useful work." Yes, he was talking about AMD's RDNA 2 architecture. But it makes me wonder what if it's true in general for high core count GPUs? Just speculating.

I would like to propose you to read this quite good article despite coming from WCCFTERCH.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-rtx-30-...e-curious-case-of-missing-gaming-performance/

DaGwaphics

This! If the vortex design of the system is really doing its thing and almost all heat is being pushed from the box as quickly as it is generated, that's a great thing for system longevity. Might not be too good for users that sit close to the boxes though. Someone will get some temp diodes on both units after launch, then we can make a real comparison about how well the units function at removing heat from the silicone and sensitive components. I'm sure they'll both do great.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What's the RT performance like on the 5700XT, I was thinking I was going to have to wait for the RDNA2 units to see some benchmarks?
Nice try but no. You can listen to Richard himself who confirmed the xsx GPU architecture diagram is the same as the 5700xt. They just added in more CUs and bolted on hardware RT in the TMUs which is exactly what was done on the PS5, but to xbox fans that meant the PS5 was RDNA 1.0 with hardware rt bolted on. Turns they are both RDNA 1.0. or RDNA 1.5. its nonsense.
XSX has SRAM in its I/O?...
Yes. it's needed in both consoles for decompression of ssd assets.

There are customisations to the CPU core - specifically for security, power and performance, and with 76MB of SRAM across the entire SoC, it's reasonable to assume that the gigantic L3 cache found in desktop Zen 2 chips has been somewhat reduced

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Aren’t they playing old games though? Should barely be getting warm.
Has nothing to do with the game they are playing, since some of them are unlocked and played at 60fps. Also old games? They are playing RDR2 and Division 2 for example. It's not like everyone is playing Fusion Frenzy

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom