• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zealand's new flag might be Silver Fern (Red, White, and Blue)

Status
Not open for further replies.

injurai

Banned
fOqmBR0.png

giphy.gif

PillarEN

2 I suppose but the stars look a bit off. I would say do away with them and it keeps the flag more simple which in general works for national flags.

5799098.png

if it was up the Conservatives and Diefenbaker, Canada would still be suck with the Red Ensign today.

present Conservative Prime Minister is a big time Monarchist and I am sure he would have reverted back to this if it wasn't for the current Maple Leaf flag being so widely loved.

If Canada can identitfy themselves with a new flag of their own, so can New Zealand (and Australia)

1000px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png

Hypron

5799098.png

if it was up the Conservatives and Diefenbaker, Canada would still be suck with the Red Ensign today.

present Conservative Prime Minister is a big time Monarchist and I am sure he would have reverted back to this if it wasn't for the current Maple Leaf flag being so widely loved.

If Canada can identitfy themselves with a new flag of their own, so can New Zealand (and Australia)

1000px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png

I think the biggest issue is not that people don't want to change, it's that the proposed flags all suck.

I would think #4 is best.
And kudos to New Zealand for having the courage and foresight to wxpress their identity through their own flag.

Unlike us Aussies.

So after 50,000 petitions it looks like the government has finally added the "Red Peak" to the list. So now we'll have five to choose from... unless it replaces an existing choice.

tumblr_inline_nt5zp15r8O1qbuymk_1280.jpg

It's not my favourite design but it's kinda cool to see it's had so much support, considering the amount of bitching and moaning and whining about the whole process. Something positive is always nice.

Arondight

So after 50,000 petitions it looks like the government has finally added the "Red Peak" to the list. So now we'll have five to choose from... unless it replaces an existing choice.

It's not my favourite design but it's kinda cool to see it's had so much support, considering the amount of bitching and moaning and whining about the whole process. Something positive is always nice.

The only issue I have is that there's not really quick recognizable unique identifier to NZ in this flag which at least the others have southern cross or ferns. If I were to choose between this flag or the rest though, it would be the former because the others just don't look good.

dejay

Banned

This has actually grown on me a lot. It's bold, simple, yet kinda unique. It also looks like something that's been folded in half, but I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

PillarEN

Getting some weird Seven Nation Army vibes with this flag. The colors put together like this aren't too flattering.

EDIT: It's the blue and black. Replace one of those. Make both sides black or both sides blue. Right now it just isn't cohesive.

Red Devil

That's a nice looking one, of the original 4 possibilities I like 1 and 2 the most, 4 is fine and 3 I don't like it at all if I had to pick.

D.Lo

Triangle man is definitely better than the other four. And it's cool it had a groundswell of support, it will likely win.

Should still have just been the plain fern on black however. Surely that would easily win a vote.

Red Peak is a more flaggy flag than any of the others but it does nothing for me. They can talk about how the red represents the earth, the white represents the mountains, the black represents the night sky and the blue represents the sea and try to tie it into Maori myths but nothing about that flag seems remotely New Zealand to me.

At this point I'm just going to vote to keep the current one. I've been for changing the flag since I was a teenager but if we're going to change it, we need to change it to something that's actually good, not something that's merely alright.

spekkeh

Banned
I would choose the black and white swirl, as nice as the fern looks, the swirl is the only one anyone could draw. And in thumbnails the fern would become an absolute mess, so it also fails in iconography.

The peak annoys the crap out of me as a flag design, because it looks rotated. Flags should be able to billow and tear in the wind and still look recognizable.

Fury Sense

I really like the Koru flags (#3). The rendering on the 1st page makes it look great. I hate the MLB one, "Silver Fern"; it looks like some cliche company logo bound to change rather than the timeless symbol a flag should be.

Overall, I hope they do change the flag. The current one looks like nothing more than an administrative formality.

Ceres

Banned

So.. they want to go with a flag that looks like an A?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom