• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo Switch Hardware Model Codename Suggests Completely New Form Factor

Nintendo-Switch-emulator.jpg

Nintendo Switch firmware 10.0.0 includes in its code a mention of a new hardware model, codenamed nx-abcd. According to an online report, this codename likely refers to a new form factor.

As reported on the ResetEra forums by JershJopstin, the nx-abcd codename follows an established naming convention that has been used so far to label the form factor of the Nintendo Switch models that have been released so far. The console's firmware, however, does feature references to two unreleased models known as Copper and Calcio.

Copper was removed after the RCM hardware bug was found, but based on its implemented services it seemed to be a non-mobile device (it didn't implement battery or charging services, and had HDMI services unique to it that are theoretically handled by the dock in the hybrid Switch).
Calcio is interesting. It only popped up in one of the 9.X updates, seemingly indicating it's in active development. It appears to essentially be Copper but on the new Mariko chip found in Hoag and Iowa and, curiously, lacks support for game cards, suggesting a digital-only device. If my speculation that a TV-only device would be positioned as a sort of super-economical option (even cheaper than the lite) is accurate, that would make some sense.
What's interesting is that the five models currently supported by the Nintendo Switch firmware fall into three form factors. Nx-abca2, which seems to indicate an unknown "integrated" form factor, nx-abcb, which seems to indicate a console form factor, and nx-abcc, which is the handheld form factor of the Lite model. As the naming convention for form factors has been consistent, it seems like the nx-abcd codename indicates a brand new one. Considering this new Nintendo Switch hardware model may feature a secondary display, there is no doubt that the console's form has to be changed to integrate it.

These 5 models fall into three form factors: nx-abca2, nx-abcb, and nx-abcc. Icosa and Iowa are nx-abca2, Copper and Calcio are nx-abcb, and Hoag is nx-abcc. You may also notice some consistency in the naming; abca2 devices start with 'I' (integrated?), nx-abcbs start with 'C' (console), and nx-abcc is 'H' (handheld).
The 10.0.0 firmware is still getting datamined, so there's the chance that more information will emerge on this new form factor soon. It has been suggested that it will feature a secondary display, so it will be interesting to see its uses and how it will be implemented.

Rumors of a new Nintendo Switch model have been circulating online for a good while. Last we heard about the possibility of a new model was back in January, when it was suggested that a "Pro" model wouldn't be a huge step forward for the console.

BlackTron

They need to release a tv only model for $99 us, would sell like hotcakes and make them rich. The "switch" feature would be gaming mode to "watch tv mode" for netflix, hulu, etc. Its a stretch, but it almost works....

If you could seamlessly move your gameplay to a different Switch family device, the name would still work.

The Lite not only does not switch, but also makes it very clunky to "switch" between your docked Switch and Lite. Total 180 from the brilliant branding and messaging they had going on.

abcdrstuv

Banned
Said this in another thread, but instead of a premium Switch, it could make sense to swerve and do a Switch Home that isn’t portable, priced like the Switch Lite - and the second display stuff could be for using a S or SLite with the Home

Guess the presentation formerly known as the E3 presentation could turn out interesting, unless the Chinese Wuhan virus from Wuhan China ruined that too.

Nintendo have a history of downgrading their consoles from launch onwards eg nintendo wii, then wii without gamecube, then that weird red one. 3ds, then 2ds. Now switch and then weird switch lite.

Banned
Nintendo have a history of downgrading their consoles from launch onwards eg nintendo wii, then wii without gamecube, then that weird red one. 3ds, then 2ds. Now switch and then weird switch lite.

well on the Handheld side they usually upgrade over time. GameBoy to GameBoy Pocket to GameBoy Light to GameBoy Color... GBA to GBA SP (although the formfactor was worse ergonomically, the tech was better) to GBA SP [AGS-101] (backlit instead of frontlit), DS to DS Lite (although I like the formfactor of the fat DS better) to DSi (lost GBA slot but added more ram and online store).
and the 3DS was upgraded as well with the New 3DS

Last edited:

Von Hugh

They need to release a tv only model for $99 us, would sell like hotcakes and make them rich. The "switch" feature would be gaming mode to "watch tv mode" for netflix, hulu, etc. Its a stretch, but it almost works....

99 dollar price would make them poor, not rich.

Last edited:

Woopah

Guess the presentation formerly known as the E3 presentation could turn out interesting, unless the Chinese Wuhan virus from Wuhan China ruined that too.

If I remember correctly the code name for the upgraded Switch was found in the files around 18 months before it launched. I don't think we'll get a new model until next year.

TheContact

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I hope they reduce the form factor of the switch. The PS Vita is my favorite handheld of all time, I think it's perfect in almost every way. I would love to see a smaller Switch (even smaller than the switch lite) though I know it's probably never going to happen. I should really just hope for a new Sony handheld

JimboJones

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I hope they reduce the form factor of the switch. The PS Vita is my favorite handheld of all time, I think it's perfect in almost every way. I would love to see a smaller Switch (even smaller than the switch lite) though I know it's probably never going to happen. I should really just hope for a new Sony handheld

If they could get rid of the fan for cooling they could probably go smaller.

If I remember correctly the code name for the upgraded Switch was found in the files around 18 months before it launched. I don't think we'll get a new model until next year.

I guess an announcement might not be too likely then that far out. Maybe near the end of the year or beginning of the next to grab some attention back from the next gen consoles.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
The Nintendo Next.

Backwards compatible with all 3DS/2DS/Wii U games. Features same 3D tech found in the 3DSXL. 3D can be turned on or off.
All the 3DS/2DS/Wii U titles will be available on the eShop digital only. Performance increases and graphical
upgrades are possible.

New high resolution IGZO 1080p touch screens. Still no 4k support yet. Joy Cons slightly revamped. Cooling system improved, system case(Magnesium Alloy) will help
dissipate heat. Model is still able to be docked or played in handheld mode. 2-3x the performance of the current
Switch. Backwards compatible with all Switch games. All former Switch games will take advantage of the power boost
and have better performance/graphics across the board. Same development philosophy as MS and Sony with games on the Next ie:
all games going forward will be playable on the OG Switch but only the Next will give the upgraded performance/graphics enhancements.

Will be announced within the next two months. Tons of first/third party games to launch with system. $399 price.

I can dream. Don't hurt me. :messenger_tears_of_joy: 🤞

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo makes another Switch console, it's such a unique console and brings a lot to the table.

Rat Rage

Ok, DETECTIVE GAF, let's prove we're not a bunch of losers and flex our powers!

After a long analysis, I came up with:

"NX-ABCD" means Swtich- and 4 letters. The word "Home" has 4 letters: H-O-M-E.

Nintendo already released a portable only version. They now have 1. a hybrid console, 2. a portable only device. Since they want to win the console war and achieve the ultimate VICTORY. What's the first letter in victory. YES: "V". V as a geometrical form stands for "starting point, going down, going up again". Since their starting point was their Switch, a hybrid, and since they then went "one down" conceptually - with the Swtich Lite - they now have to go one up conceptually, and since they can't do another hybrid, because they already have one (DUH!), they to make a Switch Home console next.

So their next game console is gonna be called: "Switch Home".

kiphalfton

Ok, DETECTIVE GAF, let's prove we're not a bunch of losers and flex our powers!

After a long analysis, I came up with:

"NX-ABCD" means Swtich- and 4 letters. The word "Home" has 4 letters: H-O-M-E.

Nintendo already released a portable only version. They now have 1. a hybrid console, 2. a portable only device. Since they want to win the console war and achieve the ultimate VICTORY. What's the first letter in victory. YES: "V". V as a geometrical form stands for "starting point, going down, going up again". Since their starting point was their Switch, a hybrid, and since they then went "one down" conceptually - with the Swtich Lite - they now have to go one up conceptually, and since they can't do another hybrid, because they already have one (DUH!), they to make a Switch Home console next.

So their next game console is gonna be called: "Switch Home".

... So they would be at the same place as they were with the hybrid. Maybe it's a check mark instead? ✓

That way it's actually an improvement over the regular switch?

GymWolf

so no more outdated tablet with the cheapest dock and controllers ever?

just gimme a proper powerfull home console like the gamecube ffs.

Woopah

I guess an announcement might not be too likely then that far out. Maybe near the end of the year or beginning of the next to grab some attention back from the next gen consoles.
I could see one coming around summer next year. Trouble is we know so little of their future line up that it's difficult to tell what their plans are.

Antwix

Haven't owned a Nintendo system since the N64 but a screen-less, TV only Switch.... yeah I'd buy that.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Your understanding of economics and logistics is really something else.

That's an interesting statement as a controller and a base tegra x1 box would hardly cost nintendo more than $99. (The chip is ancient, and it's a minimal amount of ram and storage built in) No screen, no battery.

It seems your understanding of where nintendo makes it money (games and perepherals) is what's in question here.

Every person who would buy one of these would spend hundreds on games and peripherals, explain to me exactly how nintendo would lose money here? There is zero chance of that happening.

Last edited:
Top Bottom