• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Lies Of P Update Makes The Game Easier

Draugoth

Gold Member
A new Lies of P update is live on PlayStation and Steam, and it includes several changes to bosses, standard enemies, items, and more that should make the game easier overall.

Balance Changes​

• Decreased the HP of certain field monsters
  • Increased the chance of breaking some monsters' stance and the frequency of stagger
  • Increased the staggerable window time of field monsters
  • Decrease the HP of all 3 types of Dimensional Butterflies

Adjusted the rewards for some monsters​

• Increased the drop rate of Moonstone type items
  • Decreased the drop rate of Star Fragments
  • Increased the drop rate of Ergo items
  • Increased the Ergo rewards of certain monsters that appear after Lorenzini Arcade"

Boss Monster Balance Changes​

• Decreased the HP of 'Fallen Archbishop Andreus'
  • Decreased the HP of 'King of Puppets' in the first phase
  • Decreased the HP of 'Simon Manus, Arm of God'
  • Decreased the damage of 'Simon Manus, Awakened God'
  • Increased the chance to break the stance of 'Simon Manus, Awakened God'"
  • Increased the Specter's HP and damage

System Changes Related to the Character Progression Reset​

• Added the feature to reset the character's level, P-Organ, and Legion Arms at the 'Gold Coin Tree'
  • Characters created after this patch will now receive 8 Gold Coin Fruits instead of 5 for their first harvest
  • Adjusted the required amount of gold coins to reset the character's level, P-Organ, and Legion Arms

Additional Changes​

• Players will now be able to carry more weight for each point spent on Capacity
  • Decreased the weight of Amulets that could be purchased with Boss Ergo
  • Players will now be able to land attacks better when they use fable arts that consume three or more slots. (includes Fable Arts that stack)
  • Successfully performing the Fable Art 'Guard Parry' will now break the monster's stance
Lies of P's Update 1.2.0.0 also features a few bug fixes as well:

• Fixed a bug with the Legion Arm 'Pandemonium II - Acid Charge' rarely not working properly.
  • Fixed a bug that the Legion Arm 'Pandemonium' consumed only Legion guage while using Grindstones
  • Fixed a bug that Geppetto's face to flicker in the cutscene after defeating the 'Nameless Puppet' with Graphic Quality Presets - Low
  • Fixed a typo of Carlo Collodi in the End Credits. (We sincerely apologize to Mr. Collodi and that was not a lie!)

NinjaBoiX

Any word on the flickering brightness bug? Apparently something to do with VRR and/or 120hz displays.

Noticed it immediately upon booting the XSX version, there’s a fix by disabling TV settings but I figured I’d just wait for a patch.

Kilau

Any word on the flickering brightness bug? Apparently something to do with VRR and/or 120hz displays.

Noticed it immediately upon booting the XSX version, there’s a fix by disabling TV settings but I figured I’d just wait for a patch.
It's awful, I like to go back and forth between PC and console but it's headache inducing.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Good. An untested team like this has no business making a ball buster unless you want multiple difficulty modes. Try making a few action games and mastering the delicate balance of difficulty balancing, animations, hit stun and all the basics before trying to push it to the limit. All action game studios could learn something here.

The only people qualified to push those limits are Team Ninja, From, Capcom and even they get it wrong multiple times or offer options.

night13x

It was fine the way it was. It was the snowflake crowd who wants easy mode in all of the souls games and not "git gud" OR they don't want to adjust to something different because it has to be the same as dark souls.

I hope the devs don't continue to let the easy mode cruisers infuence them - they will lose their identity of the game they are trying to create.

I'd rather they had introduced different difficulties than buffing the character and nerfing the enemies in the game.
Was enjoying it as it is and will still play, but somehow knowing it was made a little easier lessens that feeling of accomplishment.

I guess the low number of people that have finished the game influenced that decision----f'n catering to the everyone gets a trophy crowd :(
Edit: Itagaki would've called that the Ninja Dog difficulty...lol

Last edited:
We live in the bitch-ass era where everyone wants everything to be "accessible" to them instead of accepting the fact that not all things are for all people (and never will be). Making some balance tweaks is one thing, completely abandoning the creative vision of the game to make it a cakewalk for a handful of soy boys - so the can finally beat their first ever Souls-like - is another. Thankfully I already beat the game twice pre-patch with no character guides, git gud you limp wristed motherfuckers!

Last edited:

Aion002

They should've just decreased some of the bosses aggressiveness, increased the dodging speed, added some hyper armor to the heavy weapons and maybe increased the window of the parry a little bit. This would make the gameplay more fluid and "fair".

I have yet to play with this update, but just making the player stronger and weakening the enemies doesn't seem like a good move.

Last edited:
Good. An untested team like this has no business making a ball buster unless you want multiple difficulty modes. Try making a few action games and mastering the delicate balance of difficulty balancing, animations, hit stun and all the basics before trying to push it to the limit. All action game studios could learn something here.

The only people qualified to push those limits are Team Ninja, From, Capcom and even they get it wrong multiple times or offer options.
You aren't wrong, there is a fine line between difficult but rewarding and being a waste of time.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You aren't wrong, there is a fine line between difficult but rewarding and being a waste of time.
Even Ninja Gaiden and DMC have difficulty modes and these are the best of the best at fair but hard balancing.

Then you have indie stuff like Moonscars being almost unplayable and wasting years of work on a great game due to horrible difficulty balancing. Or Lootriver. Or 100 others.

& done. why take the chance of isolating a portion your potential audience straight out of the gate?...

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I was hoping they'd increase the perfect guard window.

I walked away from the Archibishop fight. Might actually give it another go now.

And for people who say "Why not cheat to make it easier, git gud". Why don't you cheat to make it harder? I think it's because then you couldn't compare your e-peen to others with equivalence. If you actually played for your own sense of accomplishment instead of bragging rights, then nothing would stop you from it.

Last edited:
There are already ways to make the boss fights easier. You can use summons, use wishstones with summons, use throwables, Falcon Eyes Legion arm, items to refresh Fable arts, items to refresh Legion arms, etc

It doesn't help as much against minibosses because you can't use summons and often the stargazer is far enough to not make it easy to recover your Ergo. I guess NG+ will now be the difficulty that the OG run was meant to be.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
but but

git gud?

Kataploom

Gold Member
"Easier"... as if what made the game difficult was too much damage or enemies health... some elite monsters are too tanky though, they needed an adjustment because it gets tiring to fight them without proper tools which are behind skill tree that barely unlocks anything in first playthrough.

Antwix

Damn I don't know how to feel about this as I haven't played it yet. I just installed it yesterday and was gonna check it out next week after I put a wrap on Starfield. I heard the parry windows are super tight though and I don't see any changes about that.

I downloaded it via Gamepass, but I haven't tried it yet.
Game difficulty is such a razor edge for me. Too easy and I get bored. Too tough and I get frustrated real quick. Hitting the sweet spot is super tough, I've beaten all the Souls, but Sekiro was too tough for me and my aging reflexes.

BbMajor7th

Good shout, the game design wasn't balanced against the difficulty properly; fights were frustrating more than satisfying. For a new team, with a new game, it makes sense to see how players get along and tweak accordingly.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
"Easier"... as if what made the game difficult was too much damage or enemies health... some elite monsters are too tanky though, they needed an adjustment because it gets tiring to fight them without proper tools which are behind skill tree that barely unlocks anything in first playthrough.
Those tanks are boring to fight. I want to slash and feel an impact from my attacks.

I felt better fighting those hunters in the Bloodborne The Old Hunters DLC. The mummies felt better. My biggest gripe is how the elites of LoP feel like they are all the same. Ones a big dude, one has a pinwheel, and one’s a giant robot with a shovel. I don’t mind them fixing that stuff. I’m not exactly praising this game beyond it being good.

I don’t think skill comes from tanky brutes. If the style sucks for the player then it’s not exactly worth trying to figure out what does work. The giant ape fight was a lot of fun in Sekiro. Spending time to figure out how to deal the right kind of blow was fun. Running around some big robot dude while the same dudes rush you down is not exactly award winning. Maybe a sequel will make these things better.

I was hoping they'd increase the perfect guard window.
THIS.

I'm a Sekiro, Soulsborne, and Nioh 1, 2/Wo Long vet with no issues parrying; Lies of P makes me feel like I've never understood how to use parries in any other game prior.
They should've improved both the dodge and parry windows to compensate for the enemy animations. No enemy/boss health adjustments necessary.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned

You have the option to go play something else.

Damn, game is fine as it is. Why did they have to try the appease the pussy crowd that don't really play games.

What about gitting gud? Fucking hate modern gaming so much. If something is too difficult then you have the option to fuck off and go play something else.

The "get gud"-ers will probably have breezed through this already and moved onto the next game.

Making it easier means more people might actually play till the end and possibly pick up the inevitable sequel.

Hardcore gamers once again fail to realise that they aren't the biggest sector of the gaming industry.

Virex

Banned
The "get gud"-ers will probably have breezed through this already and moved onto the next game.

Making it easier means more people might actually play till the end and possibly pick up the inevitable sequel.

Hardcore gamers once again fail to realise that they aren't the biggest sector of the gaming industry.
Then why make a game that specifically target that audience?

SCB3

I like a lot of these changes as it does fix a few minor issues I have with the game

On the subject of difficulty, I cannot believe more games don't adopt the "Golden Axe" way of doing it, it the original Golden Axe, if you chose Easy, the enemies went down quicker and you had more HP and magic, BUT you could only access the first 3 levels and the end game boss was the 4th levels end Boss, if you wanted to see the rest of the game, you had to get better and play at least on normal and hard

SCB3

Also those with disabilities that want to enjoy the setting or lore of a game, those people do tend to get missed out

The only change I was interested in was the reduction of weight for the boss rings. I have to resume this and finish it for good, damn you phantom liberty

n111ck

Has this made the first boss fight easier as my patience is running out? Also randomly restricting the ability to level up at this point is just bad game design.

At least with this being game pass fodder it can just be uninstalled if gets too annoying.. lol...

Kindela

Banned
We live in the bitch-ass era where everyone wants everything to be "accessible" to them instead of accepting the fact that not all things are for all people (and never will be). Making some balance tweaks is one thing, completely abandoning the creative vision of the game to make it a cakewalk for a handful of soy boys so the can finally beat their first ever Souls-likes is another. Thankfully I already beat the game twice pre-patch with no character guides, git gud you limp wristed motherfuckers!
Phew, thank God. That's probably going to look good on your CV.

Braag

I already made the game easier for myself with cheat engine.
gPVOuyO.jpg

Gandih42

Balance changes that make the game easier is not necessarily the same as just making it worse because it's "easy" now. Could just be that part of the criticism that the game is getting, is that it is more frustrating than fun in some aspects. Elden Ring would not objectively get "better" if FromSoftware patched in higher HP of all bosses. Same applies in reverse.

Not that I have played the game yet, but it seems as a bit of a reach to insinuate that a balance patch (at least on paper) equals "game is easy mode for scrubs now". Sounds like patching in an Easy Mode would do the game good for the more casual audience though.

I do hope that it isn't too easy now though, as I hope to play through it at some point and would like it to bust my balls.

Top Bottom