• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious if any of the press releases have hinted at this particular point, or if it's just fan speculation.
It would be hilariously redundant to retell the movies in anything other than a brief recap.

It is fan speculation based on the number of apparent inconsistencies between BoG and Super so far.

Syntsui

I found resurrection to be funnier that BoG.

The problem was the ending, since it really felt that the relationship between Goku and Vegeta took several step backwards, also how the fight against Frieza never felt important

Also the ending is awful, I was expecting to finally see Vegeta get full revenge on Frieza, but we get an stupid ending that just served to give Goku an stupid life lesson, I was expecting some setup for super, but we just got Goku laughing, and without a funny scene like the ending of BoG

The movie was entirely pointless, I hated it.

I mean, what's the point in bringing Frieza back if he is going to be wrecked by Goku again? He never stood a chance, he gave some good punches and them he started getting tired? Fuck that shit, he was never a threat to anyone there (besides the usual jobbers)

The choreograph of the other Z-fighters against Frieza's army in Resurrection F was really good, loved the animation.

Let me be more clear, it was not exactly the animations that were bad, but the way the characters were drawn. Bulma was really off specially, she was younger than she ever was in Z.

ElFly

I found resurrection to be funnier that BoG.

The problem was the ending, since it really felt that the relationship between Goku and Vegeta took several step backwards, also how the fight against Frieza never felt important

Also the ending is awful, I was expecting to finally see Vegeta get full revenge on Frieza, but we get an stupid ending that just served to give Goku an stupid life lesson, I was expecting some setup for super, but we just got Goku laughing, and without a funny scene like the ending of BoG

Resurrection F looks a lot worse on paper than it actually is. I had read the summary and thought it was p boring, but eventually I catched up the actual movie, and it is a lot of fun. Sure, doesn't have Vegeta doing a Bingo dance, but it is still a lot of laughs through some good fights.

Let me be more clear, it was not exactly the animations that were bad, but the way the characters were drawn. Bulma was really off specially, she was younger than she ever was in Z.

She has money, she has dragon balls, it is a mystery why she had let herself go so much in the first place.

sibarraz

Banned
My explanation for Bulma is that since his family is so stupidly rich, she could paid whatever operation she wants to look younger.

The movie is a great comedy, but they wasted IMO the series greatest villian for a second time just to show Goku that he doesnt had to be so overly confident.

When Trunks killed Frieza so easily it was awful, too but at least gave us a good explanation on why the earth was capable of producing fighters way more stronger that the saiyajins or frieza that were the most powerful beings in the universe, but now, it didn't amounted anything.

Still, the funny parts were better in resurrection, the exchange between Krillin and 18 was the best part in the movie

Astral Dog

Resurrection of F is really the worst and best of modern Dragon Ball Z,

I found it entertaining and a step above BoG, but its mostly pointless,
characters besides Goku and Vegeta dont make sense to fit a short movie Jacko was fine,Z Warriors getting a chance to defeat mooks was good, its lighthearted enough to be inoffensive and mostly the dialogue is handled right, characters are on their respective roles and there are constant references to past events..

Its just very vanilla, Frieza was one of the most, if not the most threatening villain in the series, he destroyed planet Vegeta (wich is a joke here) killed countless and enslaved others, if they are going to bring him back and with a new transformation, get it right, its not a sports game its supposed to be a vile villain returning much more powerful to get revenge, the battle here is mediocre at best compared to Namek, even lacks the impact when Trunks killed him after he returns to Earth.

Even if Frieza won, and he did, Whis just reversed time for Goku to steal Vegetas spotlight, one of the best things about the movie, Vegeta finally killing Frieza for what he did to him, its still a joke.

Not bad, but mediocre.

The way Frieza becomes more powerful is a serviceable excuse, but i still dont like it, the Saiyans are supposed to be this special race of warriors that become more powerful after each battle, thats why Frieza was afraid of them. he was a prodigy but still had his limits, while the Saiyans are pure warriors, just like the Tuffles were scientists.
oh well.

The way Frieza becomes more powerful is a serviceable excuse, but i still dont like it, the Saiyans are supposed to be this special race of warriors that become more powerful after each battle, thats why Frieza was afraid of them. he was a prodigy but still had his limits, while the Saiyans are pure warriors, just like the Tuffles were scientists.
oh well.

It makes no sense. If all Frieza had to do was train a little to see the gainz he achieved and he was so afraid of the saiyans, why did he never train? That would have solved everything.

It makes no sense. If all Frieza had to do was train a little to see the gainz he achieved and he was so afraid of the saiyans, why did he never train? That would have solved everything.

Arrogance. That's always been the whole point with him.

Why bother training when he can just blow up the entirety of Planet Vegeta in a matter of minutes?

zulux21

I mean the show is starting in japan this week. If there was a simulcast I'm sure it would have been announced by now.

you would lose a lot of bets when it comes to simulcasts if you bet on what you were sure about.

a lot of simulcasts don't even get announced until 24 hours before the first episode will air. Crunchyroll will continue to announce simulcasts well into mid july even picking up some shows after they started airing.

Funimation has 2 more mystery simulcasts to announce, and the biggest anime convention in the US also happens to take place this weekend right before db super airs. If there is a simulcast it was always expected to be announced at anime expo shortly before super airs.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
you would lose a lot of bets when it comes to simulcasts if you bet on what you were sure about.

a lot of simulcasts don't even get announced until 24 hours before the first episode will air. Crunchyroll will continue to announce simulcasts well into mid july even picking up some shows after they started airing.

Funimation has 2 more mystery simulcasts to announce, and the biggest anime convention in the US also happens to take place this weekend right before db super airs. If there is a simulcast it was always expected to be announced at anime expo shortly before super airs.

Ah I wasn't aware. I was going by what I thought made sense, because that sounds fucking asinine

Anth0ny

blue and red hair super saiyan god is truly the worst shit

I wonder how they're going to handle GT with Super. Toei clearly doesn't want to completely write over GT, since they use those characters/designs all the time in stuff like Dragon Ball Heroes and various other video games.

At the same time, anime is made to sell merch. They aren't going to sell fuck all merch with these garbage designs:

y3VMVfe.png

They need a super saiyan 4.

but GT exists.

damn it GT

Ah I wasn't aware. I was going by what I thought made sense, because that sounds fucking asinine

the marketing for super has been so terrible that I can actually see a simulcast being announced the day it happens

i mean why plan this stuff out in advance. it's only the continuation of one of the most beloved cartoons ever made after 17 years. not much money to make there.

Snaku

Banned

It really is completely absurd. You'd think with a show this big they'd want as many people to know about it as possible. If there is an announcement we likely won't even hear about it until the day before it airs.

At the same time, anime is made to sell merch. They aren't going to sell fuck all merch with these garbage designs:

Actually that's the whole point of the Super Saiyan God and SSGSS transformations, because the old designs don't sell as well anymore. It's the reason why Kai failed in Japan and never progressed into the Buu saga, until its success internationally forced Toei's hand. They don't need Super Saiyan 4, they need Super Saiyan God and SSGSS.

zulux21

it is a bit. at this point I think crunchyroll has like 5 shows announced, they will likely end up with 15 or so by mid july.

simulcast stuff has gotten even more weird this year since funimation has become a bigger player with it. previously crunchy was the only real player in it so they would get most of the anime season no problem, but now funimation is picking up more and more, but only for north america so the crunchy roll announcements you have to read where they have streaming rights.

it's possible that both funimation and crunchy will get db super rights, but funimation's will be for NA while crunchy will be for most other places.

now there are a couple shared ones, fairy tail is on both as a simulcast for na but that is unlikely to happen with supper given how tied to funimation dragon ball is at this point.

but yeah, sadly until super actually airs it shouldn't be worried about that there isn't a simulcast announced, once it airs we can be worried, but it still won't mean that there isn't one.

Dugna

Really hate what Funi is doing with simulcasts though, I mean with Crunchyroll after a certain time if you're a free user you can watch the videos. On Funimation's streaming service its subscribe most of the time or you don't see anything at all new.

zulux21

It really is completely absurd. You'd think with a show this big they'd want as many people to know about it as possible. If there is an announcement we likely won't even hear about it until the day before it airs.

nah we will likely hear news around 8 or 10pm PDT on july 2nd
Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F’ World Dub Premiere & Red Carpet | Red Carpet 6:30p | Screening 8:00p (Invite Only) at Regal Cinema LA Live Celebrity guests to include Sean Schemmel, Christopher R. Sabat and Chris Ayres. Check the FUNimation Facebook & Twitter channels for information and ticket giveaways. - See more at: http://www.funimation.com/blog/2015/06/29/brace-yourselves-for-anime-expo-2015/#sthash.3KKglMXU.dpuf

or between 4-6pm on july 4th
Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F’ Panel | 4:00p – 6:00p | Location: LP/Hall B
This summer, Dragon Ball Z returns to the big screen as the series’ most evil villain seeks his revenge. Get an exclusive sneak peek at the next feature-length film in the Dragon Ball Z franchise, Resurrection ‘F’, as well as a panel and Q&A with stars Sean Schemmel (voice of Goku), Christopher Sabat (voice of Vegeta / ADR Director) and Christ Ayres (voice of Frieza). Tweet along using the hashtag #DBZAX for a chance to win some prizes.

- See more at: http://www.funimation.com/blog/2015/06/29/brace-yourselves-for-anime-expo-2015/#sthash.3KKglMXU.dpuf

unlike toei funimation is quite invested in db in general and is sure to make a big deal about it at anime expo if they have the rights.

Really hate what Funi is doing with simulcasts though, I mean with Crunchyroll after a certain time if you're a free user you can watch the videos. On Funimation's streaming service its subscribe most of the time or you don't see anything at all new.

funimation usually runs the same as crunchy, new sub episodes need a week before they are free to non sub people. Some series run 2 or 3 weeks behind but I don't know of any that don't go eventually sub free.

the only thing that doesn't give anything new is dubs, with the dubs typically only the first 3-4 episodes are free for a non subber.

Anth0ny

Actually that's the whole point of the Super Saiyan God and SSGSS transformations, because the old designs don't sell as well anymore. It's the reason why Kai failed in Japan and never progressed into the Buu saga, until its success internationally forced Toei's hand. They don't need Super Saiyan 4, they need Super Saiyan God and SSGSS.

But they are literally the old designs... just recolored. With kinda slimmed down muscles? I guess? Truly terrible, lazy designs.

When I said Super Saiyan 4, I meant relative to Toriyama's story. So if we're going to include GT, I really mean Super Saiyan 5. A new, exciting transformation that really looks new. Not Kaioken 2.0 or opening a picture of a Super Saiyan in MS Paint and clicking invert colors.

Anth0ny

you'd think after 15+ years of making money off dragon ball toei and funimation would be more on the same page

for fucks sake toei is ignorant as hell

you can always wait for it to air on toonami or nick or fox kids, or some other place. (yes dragon ball was on all 3 of those at some point and super might end up at any of them lol)

Is Fox Kids still a thing? And Nicktoons hasn't shown anything DBZ related in ages. I bet it'll just end up on Toonami.

zulux21

Is Fox Kids still a thing? And Nicktoons hasn't shown anything DBZ related in ages. I bet it'll just end up on Toonami.

im not sure.
and yeah nick hasn't done anything dbz related in ages, but that is because toonami got the rights to broadcast uncensored dbz kai after nick aired all of kai.

due to the deal with toonami nick likely couldn't get the rights for the second half of kai since toonami has the rights for kai right now

super is a completely different series so likely no one has the rights for it, thus it could feasibly go to the highest bidder.

it would likely be toonami since that's the best market for it, but who knows, it wouldn't be impossible someone like netflix or hulu even makes a play for it. it wouldn't be the first time either company had aquired rights to air anime. Heck netflix dubbed some anime (working with sentai) Knights of Sidonia to air exclusively on their service.

sadly a lot is up in the air with this. it would be nice to know everything but with such a popular franchise it wouldn't be surprising if deals/rights took beyond the final hour and we have to wait until a number of episodes have aired in japan before we find out anything.

zulux21

Hasn't been since 2002.

i was actually thinking of 4Kids TV/foxbox which replaced fox kids, but that is also many years dead.

I don't pay attention to fox morning stuff very much lol.

so yeah we can take that off the list, but disney xd is what replaced that thus that can be on the list instead.

Village

They need a super saiyan 4.

but GT exists.

damn it GT

But SS4 already exists and is the best super saiyan because unlike the rest of their transformations, besides the OG one with the moon. Actually makes them look like super monkey men. Which is the thing they are.

The SSG is actually better because they aren't even really super saiyans anymore, its just OP god juice.

Snaku

Banned
you'd think after 15+ years of making money off dragon ball toei and funimation would be more on the same page

for fucks sake toei is ignorant as hell

They were literally shocked by how many people showed up for the Resurrection F premiere in Hollywood a few months ago, they really don't realize how popular Dragon Ball is here.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Toei has always been laughably out of touch on the international stage. Toei America basically saw the success 4Kids had with overlocalizations of Yugioh and Pokemon and told them "Hey, we have this smash hit one piece. Do that overlocalization thing for it and make it a success like you did those other two franchises."

Kai Buu saga was made in response to Kai's success internationally and yet it's still a japan-only thing.

zulux21

Kai Buu saga was made in response to Kai's success internationally and yet it's still a japan-only thing.

it's rumored to be fully dubbed already.
most likely kai buu saga is being held back by toonami as they likely want to air all of the first kai series before they move onto kai buu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom