• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball TV Series Announced: Dragon Ball Super

Status
Not open for further replies.

munchie64

Coming to Japan July this year! (most likely the 5th since that's the week after Kai ends)

Official Toei PR: http://www.toei-animation.com/files/Press_Release_DBS_ENG_0.pdf
TOKYO (April 28, 2015) – Toei Animation has announced production on Dragon Ball Super (Japanese title; tentative
for English release), the first all-new Dragon Ball television series to be released in 18 years. Following the recent events of the hit feature film, Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F’, Dragon Ball Super will debut in Japan in July 2015.

Reuniting the franchise’s iconic characters, Dragon Ball Super will follow the aftermath of Goku’s fierce battle with Majin Buu, as he attempts to maintain earth’s fragile peace. Overseen by Dragon Ball’s original creator, Akira Toriyama and produced with Fuji Television, Dragon Ball Super will draw on its historic past to create a bold, new universe welcoming to fans and endearing to new viewers.
Article at Kanzenshuu: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2015/04/28/new-dragon-ball-super-tv-series-announced-for-2015/
The new TV series will be directed by Kimitoshi Chioka, whose only work with the franchise thus far was as a story boarder in Battle of Gods, and will be produced by Osamu Nozaki (Fuji TV), Naoko Sagawa (Yomiko Advertising), and Mutsumi Kido (Toei Animation). While Nozaki and Sagawa were both recent producers for Dragon Ball Kai, Kido served a short time as an assistant producer during the production of Dragon Ball Z.
Article at Anime News Network: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...s-1st-new-tv-anime-in-18-years-in-july/.87608
The story of the anime will take place a few years after the defeat of Majin Buu, when the Earth has become peaceful once again. The voice of Goku, Gohan, and Goten, Masako Nozawa commented on the new anime, saying, “We've always used the word 'chō' (Super) with Dragon Ball in commercials, games and the like, but the fact that the series titled Dragon Ball Super is beginning is the best thing ever.”

Fuji TV producer Osamu Nozaki commented on the new series as well, saying, “As I read the plot [of the series] I've already received from Akira Toriyama, my dreams for this begin to expand. An enemy even stronger than Buu or Freeza may appear...”

No Revival of F spoilers please. This is a news thread.

Razmos

A sequel to Dragonball Z? I never thought I'd see the day.

I liked GT but I heard it doesn't count.

I'm going to go to sleep not believing I just read this.
If I wake up and this is still real, then...
I dunno.

This is too cool to be real.

Aiii

So not worth it
I want to say YAY, but I need some proper info before I go YAY.

So I'll just stick with a moderate huzzah, for now.

Sandfox

I was expecting an announcement during the last episode of Kai, but this works and makes more sense seeing as how it will apparently be airing as soon a Kai ends.

Thoraxes

That could easily be before or after the epilogue though.

GT is what, 5 years after Z?

I guess there is a lot of time between to do stuff if they keep to the "timeline".

I love that it's premiering in July too! Hopefully they do it justice given the inconsistent quality of something like Sailor Moon Crystal on their track record.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
I hope it turns out good and please make the characters more heavier/buffed up, they look really thin in the upcoming movie.

Sandfox

I hope it turns out good and please make the characters more heavier/buffed up, they look really thin in the upcoming movie.

I think the characters being thin has more to do with Toriyama's artstyle changing since Dragonball ended 20 years ago and he's the one coming up with the character designs.

VariantX

Well at least it will be new animation. Its probably going to look worse than one piece and be off model 90% of the time because they won't take breaks isn't it.

Fuji TV producer Osamu Nozaki commented on the new series as well, saying, “As I read the plot [of the series] I've already received from Akira Toriyama, my dreams for this begin to expand. An enemy even stronger than Buu or Freeza may appear...”

It's so unrealistic how there can be more enemies out there stronger than Buu.

I know its the only way for them to be relevant and not just get one shotted like "Oh lets see, your around the power level the androids were, I'll just backhand you into the sun" but still come on.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
I think the characters being thin has more to do with Toriyama's artstyle changing since Dragonball ended 20 years ago and he's the one coming up with the character designs.

Yeah, you're probably right. Well let's hope the art quality will be more consistent than DBZ, dunno what the quality in DBGT was like since I haven't seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom