• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New beautiful screenshots surface for Elden Ring

K2D

Banned
Not saying you are wrong. Almost chiarosquro like lighting, the hand and drama in it itself is very Baroque, no doubt.

I just find scenery itself and how it's rendered (wall textures, sweeping arch, etc + rather geometric composition of the perspective with the direction of light continued into the MC's hand etc) rather reminds me of neo-classical ones. :)

Even the scene is carefully balanced - like how the light creates blobs of symmetry, or even the blood splatter of lower left quadron also balances out the MC with sweeping perspective and all. Unlike a lot of baroque paintings fade into black or backdrops blur to bring out the atmosphere - the sheer detail of the background (even though it does fade into black void in the center portion) - I think really adds that neo-classical flair IMHO.

I'm just surprised to see this kind of image in a modern videogame, whether it was carefully coordinated or just sheer coincidence. Impressive stuff.
Actually, maybe just the one still with the knight kneeling, pleading.. - Might be part due to the interaction between these two characters.

Would love to see a souls game with more dept of contrast and more vibrant color (DS-remake) and these artstyles.

Last edited:

tommib

Not saying you are wrong. Almost chiarosquro like lighting, the hand and drama in it itself is very Baroque, no doubt.

I just find scenery itself and how it's rendered (wall textures, sweeping arch, etc + rather geometric composition of the perspective with the direction of light continued into the MC's hand etc) rather reminds me of neo-classical ones. :)

Even the scene is carefully balanced - like how the light creates blobs of symmetry, or even the blood splatter of lower left quadron also balances out the MC with sweeping perspective and all. Unlike a lot of baroque paintings fade into black or backdrops blur to bring out the atmosphere - the sheer detail of the background (even though it does fade into black void in the center portion) - I think really adds that neo-classical flair IMHO.

I'm just surprised to see this kind of image in a modern videogame, whether it was carefully coordinated or just sheer coincidence. Impressive stuff.
I wish video games would look back into renaissance art and the painting techniques of the time instead of constantly using shit modern cinema as their asthetic references. From Software has been pretty good at it, with their medieval and gothic references. I had a boyfriend who was an architect that once caught me playing that secret level in Dark Souls, the Painted World of Ariamis, and he said that was clearly influenced by these guy's sketches whose name of I can't remember. He even brought some architecture book to show me and it was so true. We need more of that and less of everything trying to look like Avatar.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
2 new screenshots from Playstation Play Play Play (youtube low q grabs)

i8FWwX6.jpg

mswB3Se.png

old known shot showing day/night cycle

5KZSKyk.jpg
vHwO7Jz.jpg

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
I can never ever understand how Elden Ring’s visuals considered as “ugly”.
aren't ugly are just technically nothing new .. there are developers who will have released more impressive games on PS4 and Xbox series x than from soft will do with elden ring, at least taking into account the videos seen about elden ring .. just take Rdr2 or tlou2 as an example ......the only thing that saves the game from a graphical point of view is the art direction otherwise it would fall into the most irrelevant oblivion

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Easy mode and I'm in day one
Just stay indoors while the rest of the kids go outside to play.

I personally value that over high tech graphics especially these days when “high tech graphics” is all about having hyper realistic visuals, I would say fuck all that.
Graphics last a generation, great art direction lasts forever

FrankWza

Gold Member
This looks beautiful for a PS3 game
Someone got a lump of coal in their stocking. I’m playing DS1R now and I played the network test of ER. Not even close. As a matter of fact, I wanted to play it ahead of Elden Ring and as far away from DeS remake as I could because the graphical differences are too much at this point.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Someone got a lump of coal in their stocking. I’m playing DS1R now and I played the network test of ER. Not even close. As a matter of fact, I wanted to play it ahead of Elden Ring and as far away from DeS remake as I could because the graphical differences are too much at this point.
I also did a second playthrough of Dark Souls (minus DLC). I finished it today and went with a Zweihander R2 beat down technique. I did not get into the network test, so I have a fresh start when ER drops. The way you heal in Dark Souls takes so much time. I really enjoyed Dark Souls 3 and how you could move with the Estus flask. This will be my 5th playthrough of Dark Souls. I replayed all of the Souls and Bloodborne in the last two years. How I see it: Dark Souls will help better equip my character while Bloodborne teaches me more about getting out of the way and staying aggressive.

I read a couple articles comparing difficulty and how Elden Ring has more defined gameplay. How they give you more tools to use. I just wonder if they’ll match that with some crazy encounters.

I did order the mook (Overture of Elden Ring) and I put in a pre-order for the magazine. I’ve double and triple dipped on this franchise, so I wanted to actually treat myself with this.

Here is the poster that comes with the mook.

611-A3245-1-CDE-4-E37-8-F31-194-CF5-B8-EE21.jpg

9-B3163-E6-C382-4-A22-A795-163430039916.jpg

The cover of the Edge magazine looks awesome. It reminds me of Narnia and Jesus walking on water.
B1131060-84-B3-4839-84-A5-397-A285-F98-FF.jpg

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
I look forward to it as much as the next person, but it's a crossgen game... Hardly generation defining.

Edit: wrong thread

Last edited:
Top Bottom