• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Elden Ring hackers are locking players in infinite death loops (PC Gamer)

kingfey

Banned

Elden Ring players beware. Users on Reddit and Twitter have shown that Elden Ring Hackers are entering players' games, crashing them, and sending the players into recursive loops, doomed to fall to their deaths as soon as they log back in.

In the video demonstrated by @EldenRingUpdate on Twitter, you can see an invader activating an ability that immediately causes the game to crash. This is followed by subsequent log-in attempts seeing the player load out-of-bounds and fall to their death.

In terms of prevention, there are two real options for the concerned player:

• Avoid online play: You don't have to launch Elden Ring in offline mode necessarily. Co-op and invasions are opt-in by area, and you can choose to not engage with this aspect. This is far from an ideal solution, however.
  • Back up your saves: Elden Ring saves are located in C:/Users/[name]/AppData/Roaming/EldenRing (you'll need "view hidden files" enabled in File Explorer to see them). Just copy the folder whose name is a long string of numbers and keep the backup somewhere safe, updating it at your discretion.

If you find yourself the victim of this prank and don't have a backup of your saves, some users have reported a fix to get yourself out of the death loop. It's still possible to warp to another site of grace while falling, with the only complication being that you have a very small window to do so before dying and getting sent to a loading screen again.

Draiganedig on the Elden Ring subreddit claims that Alt-F4ing out of Elden Ring will give you more time for the maneuver on next logging in, but I a haven't been able to test this. Pressing "Y" on an Xbox-style controller while on the map screen will center your cursor on the Roundtable Hold site of grace (honestly a useful quality-of-life feature even outside of this situation.) The idea is to open the map during your brief window between deaths, quickly press Y, then start hammering the button to "confirm" your choice, which defaults to "A" on Xbox gamepads. I've embedded a video of a Twitch streamer, Kaimitsu_Enju, successfully pulling the maneuver off:

A similar hack that corrupted save files through bugged items left by invaders existed in Dark Souls 3, and I recall bugged invader items also floating around as far back as Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition on Games for Windows Live. There were concerns in the community that a full-on malware security vulnerability present in the multiplayer of Dark Souls 1–3 could be grandfathered in to Elden Ring, but Bandai Namco acknowledged the issue and nothing of the sort seems to have come up in the month since Elden Ring's release. Dark Souls 3's PC servers, however, remain offline.

SantaC

You do backups easily with steam backup wizard. No need to copy any folders.

I am doing daily backups on my game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sadly it’s the usual with pc souls.
I remember a hacker streaming ds1 and invading and destroying people saves. Disgusting.
And ds trilogy servers are still dead on pc

Last edited:

Doom85

To all the losers/borderline psychopaths who are so dead inside that their only source of enjoyment is doing this to people who just wanted to have some fun playing a video game:

go fuck yourself middle finger GIF
Angry South Park GIF

homer simpson middle finger GIF
Wolf Of Wall Street Goodbye GIF by Jordan Belfort

I see the usual idiot gaffers blaming the PC players but if they could do it on console the situation would be the same and has nothing to do with the actual PC players. The hackers would do it everywhere regardless so stop posting dumb shit.

laynelane

It's great that people are getting the word out about this so players can protect themselves as best they can. I don't really get people who grief others like this. Perhaps they have a lot of spare time and no quality ways to spend it. Or maybe the whole "misery loves company" thing. Whatever the case, it's shitty that people have to deal with this.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's great that people are getting the word out about this so players can protect themselves as best they can. I don't really get people who grief others like this. Perhaps they have a lot of spare time and no quality ways to spend it. Or maybe the whole "misery loves company" thing. Whatever the case, it's shitty that people have to deal with this.
it's some kids and angsty teens.
I remember watching a ds1 remake stream few years back and it was shocking.
The stream was on yt. The guy had like 500 viewers. People are cheering and even donating him.
All while he was having "fun" trolling and getting peoples saves soft banned and broken.
You know, the type where he attacks and it changes the stats of the person being attacked.... adn the fact that he does that to entire map and glitches the whole game out. like wtf

laynelane

it's some kids and angsty teens.
I remember watching a ds1 remake stream few years back and it was shocking.
The stream was on yt. The guy had like 500 viewers. People are cheering and even donating him.
All while he was having "fun" trolling and getting peoples saves soft banned and broken.
You know, the type where he attacks and it changes the stats of the person being attacked.... adn the fact that he does that to entire map and glitches the whole game out. like wtf

I remember that guy. I think he's still doing stuff like that too. He built up quite a rep for himself in the Souls community for ruining many people's games.

MaKTaiL

I see the usual idiot gaffers blaming the PC players but if they could do it on console the situation would be the same and has nothing to do with the actual PC players. The hackers would do it everywhere regardless so stop posting dumb shit.
But that's the whole point though. They can't do it on consoles.

But that's the whole point though. They can't do it on consoles.

Im talking about the ppl generalizing and blaming the PC community or the PC platform. You can certainly play on console or offline or use the items to get rid of invaders if you want to feel safe, just dont blame us for the work of some dumb base-dwelling assholes. Im sure if they were more talented they would find a way to do it on the consoles as well. Still, blame them, not the PC.

Neofire

Imagine the disaster paying for online having and having cheaters, right?

like these:

There is always a wise guy trying to conflate console cheats to PC hacking/cheating and the irony of using a video from a known Chinese cheater too but I digress.

Console cheating, for a fact, is no where near as wide spread as PC cheating. I've played every souls game since it's inception on the par and never had someone use a cheat that wiped my game save or send me through a infinite death loop.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
There is always a wise guy trying to conflate console cheats to PC hacking/cheating and the irony of using a video from a known Chinese cheater too but I digress.

Console cheating, for a fact, is no where near as wide spread as PC cheating. I've played every souls game since it's inception on the par and never had someone use a cheat that wiped my game save or send me through a infinite death loop.
No one said it is, plus no one can know how spread it is because XIM/Chronux max scripts are not being detected/banned.

Chronicle

Lol paying for online because fearing some cheaters that will most likely never to encounter in your game sections...
I'm not sure I agree with your statement. Apparently cheating on PC is way more of a problem and downright commonplace is some games, is it not?

Both console and PC have there trade offs. But I'll never go PC because of two things: cost (unless i win the big one) and cheating.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I'm not sure I agree with your statement. Apparently cheating on PC is way more of a problem and downright commonplace is some games, is it not?

Both console and PC have there trade offs. But I'll never go PC because of two things: cost (unless i win the big one) and cheating.
It is. Diference is on pc almost always the games have anti cheat and players are banned. On console there are players never banned or even being detected using adapters/scripts.

Top Bottom