• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New beautiful screenshots surface for Elden Ring

FunkMiller

Gold Member
yep, that's a dark souls game.

Wake me up when From tries something new I can play

FTFY mate.

It’s funny, I never hear this complaint about making similar games when people talk about devs like Rockstar or Naughty Dog.

I wonder if it actually has anything to do with the accessibility of From Soft’s game design?

🤔

GrayFoxPL

Bandai Namco has released some new screenshots from its upcoming highly-anticipated action RPG, Elden Ring.
Maybe Bandai Namco is sharing these as teasers for Tokyo Game Show 2021. Thus, we might get a new trailer at that event.

In Elden Ring, players will ride through the vast fields, gallop over rolling hills, and leap to the top of rocky crags on your ephemeral steed, revealing a world teeming with life and danger.
The game will have mythic creatures that prowl the veldts, ineffable horrors that lurk in the bogs and marshes, and all manner of soldiers and itinerant warriors. Moreover, shy creatures will nibble on sweet grasses or scuttle through the underbrush.

Furthermore, players can try dozens of skills and find one to best suit their style. Players can practice stealth to avoid danger or catch enemies unaware. Additionally, they can use the environment, the weather, and the time of day to gain an advantage.
The game will also rely on dodge and parry mechanics. Players will have to learn the art of combat where they must read their enemy’s intentions. Thus, a well-timed dodge or parry could be the difference between life and death.

Elden Ring new screenshots-1Elden Ring new screenshots-2Elden Ring new screenshots-3 Elden Ring new screenshots-4Elden Ring new screenshots-5Elden Ring new screenshots-6 Elden Ring new screenshots-7Elden Ring new screenshots-8Elden Ring new screenshots-9

aubrey plaza lol GIF by Lionsgate Home Entertainment

Flabagast

FTFY mate.

It’s funny, I never hear this complaint about making similar games when people talk about devs like Rockstar or Naughty Dog.

I wonder if it actually has anything to do with the accessibility of From Soft’s game design?

🤔
I played and finished Demons, dark souls 1, bloodborne & sekiro.

But that is the problem, all those games are simply too similar at this point and I have no desire at all to play another copy paste one.

I have the same complaint for ND games for that matter (even if From is now more akin to Ubisoft imho)

martino

But that is the problem, all those games are simply too similar at this point and I have no desire at all to play another copy paste one.

I have the same complaint for ND games for that matter (even if From is now more akin to Ubisoft imho)
thankfully for me we are millions to disagree with you.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I played and finished Demons, dark souls 1, bloodborne & sekiro.

So, you played all the way through four of From Soft's games, putting in hundreds of hours, and only now have you decided that they're all too similar?

And you also think that Demon's Souls and Sekiro are way too similar? What exactly is it about hose two games that you find so very similar to one another?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
FROM's screenshots usually are eh.... "enhanced" and not really indicative of actual gameplay experience.
Yep, that one with the masked man and the boss looks close enough to demons ps5 to call them bullshot.

But who cares.

Kev Kev

Man, it’s a good thing OP included “beautiful” in the title, otherwise I wouldn’t have noticed it for myself.

Lol I kid kid

It really is too bad I’ll never play any of these games tho. Uber difficulty isn’t fun to me, but they do look really nice! I’m into the whole medieval/fantasy aesthetic too.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I haven't played a Souls game since the first one on PS3 but I think I am into this one.

EDIT: And a little Bloodborne.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
No issues with the graphics, as I know that's been a hot topic, but I do feel a little let down to see the same old looking character models, armor, and red glow around other players. I just feel like that aesthetic is a little played out. Hope there is more to see, deeper into the game.

Definitely looking forward to it either way, but I'd like to see, more visibly different types of equipment, as well as the ability to drop the glow around other players.

K2D

Banned
Shoot it straight into my veins now.

I've only ever beat DS1 (cause I'm a big ol' pleeb) since the launch of Bb, and I still can't wait to play this..!

Easy mode and I'm in day one

I just want a mode that let's me hold the controller but not really have to push buttons you know? Almost like, a guided experience. I mean, if I want to pause the game I can press the start button or whatever but I think games like this need to be much more accessible for those of us who don't really play games but just talk about them. It's about equity in gaming.

Last edited:

tommib

I just want a mode that let's me hold the controller but not really have to push buttons you know? Almost like, a guided experience. I mean, if I want to pause the game I can press the start button or whatever but I think games like this need to be much more accessible for those of us who don't really play games but just talk about them.
I’ve heard of such things. They come with these “DVD” controllers and you select basic options before starting the experience.

lachesis

Getting even more a Caravaggio vibe from the stills. Definetly baroque and middle/dark ages.

My favorite:
0cVqSIz.jpg

Not saying you are wrong. Almost chiarosquro like lighting, the hand and drama in it itself is very Baroque, no doubt.

I just find scenery itself and how it's rendered (wall textures, sweeping arch, etc + rather geometric composition of the perspective with the direction of light continued into the MC's hand etc) rather reminds me of neo-classical ones. :)

Even the scene is carefully balanced - like how the light creates blobs of symmetry, or even the blood splatter of lower left quadron also balances out the MC with sweeping perspective and all. Unlike a lot of baroque paintings fade into black or backdrops blur to bring out the atmosphere - the sheer detail of the background (even though it does fade into black void in the center portion) - I think really adds that neo-classical flair IMHO.

I'm just surprised to see this kind of image in a modern videogame, whether it was carefully coordinated or just sheer coincidence. Impressive stuff.

Top Bottom