• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix introduces Netflix Games

Boss Mog

ExaltedDiligentEgg-size_restricted.gif

News like this make me feel completely out of touch. I know there's lots of smart people working at Netflix, so this has to make sense and have a realistic chance of becoming profitable. I just don't understand it.

Gamezone

Gold Member
How are they expecting to bring this to iOS if it's not streaming? Apple only allows Web based streaming, right?

Astral Dog

News like this make me feel completely out of touch. I know there's lots of smart people working at Netflix, so this has to make sense and have a realistic chance of becoming profitable. I just don't understand it.
It just something to get people to stick with Netflix, instead of paying for a new show that has the risk of bombing put that money in 'exclusive' games of their more popular brands, so the fans get more content and don't unsubscribe once the TV season is over

Fbh

Pretty bland selection to kick things off, they make so many shitty original stuff now you'd think they could do more than a basic looking card game for this.
I guess it's hard to complain at no additional cost, though hopefully in the future when they inevitably raise prices again there's an option for a cheaper subscription with no games.

BlackTron

Dropped off dark after one season and I'm not into cartoons.

I find it interesting that everyone who doesn't like animation always calls it a cartoon.

It's like "cartoon" carries this intentional connotation that it's for kids, yet, everyone here plays video games.

Looks like Netflix is going to use the ios app store for it's games. Gee thanks apple. Thanks for another nail in the coffin that is my research into getting a new cell phone.
Iphone 8 plus is getting old and the battery needs to be replaced. Wow look at all these shiny android phones, some don't have that awful notch. I wonder if they are any good.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I called it. I have a thread about it and some people couldn't grasp the idea that Netflix can offer gaming at no extra cost. I remember some were saying: "why would Netflix spend money on games, there's no guarantee that subscribers will play them." With the same logic, why would Netflix spend $20M on a new show. There's no guarantee that subbers will watch them.

Even if Netflix will just allot $1 billion of their budget out of the more than $20 billion yearly budget for content, that's a lot of games already.

On a side note, Sony combining movies, shows, anime, and videogames under one subscription doesn't sound so crazy after all. I have a thread about it and a lot of people couldn't grasp the financial feasibility of the idea thinking it would have to cost more than PSNow of $10/mo.
The weird thing is NF is a streaming service to begin with offering movies and TV shows on a shit load of apps across devices. If there's any non-gaming company that makes sense to dive into streaming games it would be this one. So why any naysayers would discount NF is odd. Ok, maybe if NF is a lumber company wouldnt do it But doesn't sound like a stretch at all to offer a streaming gaming section for NF.

There's even rumours Walmart is going to do a streaming service!

In this world of cloud and streaming, it looks like any media related company is itching to get in.

Last edited:
I cancelled my Netflix this year in favor of gamepass. They're smart to try something new because they're going to lose lots of people. Content has been pretty stale.

This is what happens when you can'r read subs.
There is a whole world outside hollywood you know?

I mean, you're somewhat right, lots of Korean, Italian, Spanish, Polish (The Mire was amazing) etc movies/series on netflix but...let's be honest, most of it is trash - just take a look at your specific country's top 10, it's filled with idiotic chick-flicks, dumb as fook action movies/action-comedies (Army of the dead + army of thieves are literally hot garbage) and the usual Netflix "documentaries".
Most of the time, you spend a good 10-15 mins trying to find something good to watch just to turn netflix off again in disgust.

Personally, i must have watched Good fellas 5 times, the Godfather movies and taxi driver (amongst other things) on repeat just get my money's worth out of it, personal opinion and all that my good man...

As for the gaming part, haven't tried it but those titles mentioned...it's not like i give a rat's arse so, yeah :D

mxbison

I'd be down for some actually good mobile games without ads and in-app purchases.

I would play on my phone on the train etc. but can't be bothered with all those f2p shit games.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Now, it's added to this tiny library of free games with two more free titles, and like the previous five, these don't appear to be limited-time offers, but permanent additives for those subscribed to Netflix.

The first of these two free games is Bowling Ballers, available exclusively for Netflix subscribers. Reviews on the App Store and Google Play Store are still coming in, but on the latter is a rating of 4.3 out of 5 across 450 user reviews, and on the former it has a 4.5 rating out of 5 across two user reviews. The other new free game is Asphalt Xtreme, which actually released back in 2016 and was quickly shut down, but has now been revived just for Netflix subscribers. It boats similar user review scores.

Bowling Ballers: "In most endless runners, you want to avoid objects. Bor-ing! Play Bowling Ballers and knock down as many of those pesky pins as possible. Bowling Ballers is a bowling endless runner that includes a level-based mode. Actively hit objects rather than avoid them. Mechanics include skateboarding, flying and more, all with simple, intuitive gameplay."

Asphalt Xtreme: "Forget everything you know about racing, because all you need here is your instincts, real skill and a fearless desire for speed. You'll race around sand hills, charge through canyons, drift across the dirt and climb past your opponents to reach the finish line as part of an absolutely extreme racing experience!"

TLZ

Banned
So this been out for a while? First I see it now. I'll check see if I have it and test.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In its latest quarterly earning Q&A, Netflix says that it plans for its gaming service to be the "absolute best in the category."

The response came from Netflix CEO Reed Hastings, who was asked about how Netflix plans to approach its gaming content long-term. Hastings has an interesting response, if short and lacking detail. According to Hastings, Netflix says it has to be "differentially great" at its gaming efforts and that there's "no point of just being in it." In other words, Netflix needs to set itself apart with its gaming efforts, rather than being just another product that other companies may already be doing better.

However, Hastings acknowledges that Netflix hasn't truly shown what it's capable of yet. He says that Netflix is approaching gaming in a "crawl, walk, run" approach, which seems to characterize its current efforts as the crawling stage. Like an infant, once Netflix is confident in crawling, it'll work towards walking, and so forth. Netflix doesn't want to "just be in it for the sake of being in it or for a press release," which comes off as an indirect insult toward other major companies who have leaped into gaming without much planning or confidence.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I'm sorry but the term 'mobile' is ruined for me. My internal bias and hatred of the casual mobile gamer that dominates the market sticks in my craw. We should have all gatekept harder 😄

Reactions: Fuz

Fuz

Banned

In its latest quarterly earning Q&A, Netflix says that it plans for its gaming service to be the "absolute best in the category."

The response came from Netflix CEO Reed Hastings, who was asked about how Netflix plans to approach its gaming content long-term. Hastings has an interesting response, if short and lacking detail. According to Hastings, Netflix says it has to be "differentially great" at its gaming efforts and that there's "no point of just being in it." In other words, Netflix needs to set itself apart with its gaming efforts, rather than being just another product that other companies may already be doing better.

However, Hastings acknowledges that Netflix hasn't truly shown what it's capable of yet. He says that Netflix is approaching gaming in a "crawl, walk, run" approach, which seems to characterize its current efforts as the crawling stage. Like an infant, once Netflix is confident in crawling, it'll work towards walking, and so forth. Netflix doesn't want to "just be in it for the sake of being in it or for a press release," which comes off as an indirect insult toward other major companies who have leaped into gaming without much planning or confidence.
Seeing their track record on show, they could aim for "absolute worst".

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
There really needs to be something done about bumping old threads,

It would be good if the title could be updated so people dont think its new news

Elysion

Banned
Huh, this news is from last year? I totally missed this. So now Netflix is doing gaming too? I wonder if they’ll be looking for studios and publishers to buy in the near future. They’ll kind of have to, if they want decent exclusive content.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Netflix subscribers in numerous regions already have access to a library of mobile titles through the Android and iOS versions of the Netflix app.

Two of these games, Dominoes Cafe and Knittens, were added to the service in December via RocketRide, and now the agency plans to add more games in the coming months.

Netflix’s mobile games are included as part of a Netflix subscription and contain no ads and no in-app purchases.

Players can access them by opening the Netflix mobile app and looking for the Games tab at the bottom of the screen.

This takes them to the new Games page, where they have access to a growing library of titles to download (there are 12 at the time of writing).

RocketRide Games is a Montreal-based agency which has signed 45 years over the past two years.

“Everyone at RocketRide Games is extremely proud of this new partnership with Netflix,” CEO Louis Rene Auclair said in a statement.

“Having the ability to bring games to their millions of subscribers is definitely a great opportunity for RocketRide Games and for video games studios all over the world.”

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I had forgotten they had announced this and thought it was news. So is it live? I have seen nothing about it, so I guess it's not in my region (Sweden)? I'm not currently a Netflix subscriber though.

Does it suck?

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
I had forgotten they had announced this and thought it was news. So is it live? I have seen nothing about it, so I guess it's not in my region (Sweden)? I'm not currently a Netflix subscriber though.

Does it suck?
Didn't test it yet but it's just low cost mobile games for now. Let's see how it evolves.

I don't like Netflix anyway > Prices are constantly rising, promising TVs shows are disapointing most of the time and there is very often some garbage propaganda.

Glad i'm not paying for it. (it's convenient for some classic movies but that's it)

Prime video also has garbage propaganda but it's cheaper and there is more proper video games like Alien Isolation, more classic movies.

Prime Video > Netflix

Last edited:
Top Bottom