• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Testing Cloud Game Streaming to TVs and Web

Vox Machina

Banned

Netflix is kicking off the first public tests of its cloud-streamed games. Beginning Monday, some Netflix subscribers in Canada and the UK will be able to check out Netflix games streamed to select TVs, connected TV devices, and on the web from Netflix.com.

The company first launched its mobile gaming offerings as a free perk for subscribers in November 2021. So far, the company’s titles have only been available on iOS and Android. By bringing games to TVs and web browsers over cloud streaming, subscribers will potentially be able to play Netflix’s titles in a lot more places, and it also means that Netflix could begin to compete for gaming time on TVs and PCs.

When playing on TV, you’ll control games by using your smartphone. On Android, the controller will be accessible through the Netflix app, while on iOS, you’ll need to download a special controller app, spokesperson Chrissy Kelleher tells The Verge. (Yes, the one that mysteriously appeared on the App Store last week.) If you have access to the games on the web, you’ll play them with a mouse and keyboard.

Vox Machina

Banned
This is part of of Netflix's effort to diversify away from low-revenue (comparatively) media streaming to higher-revenue media streaming (games). Movies and TV shows don't present as many "upsells" as games do. So as profit margins drop on traditional media streaming it seems clear Netflix sees the next frontier as game streaming.

Personally I would never want to play a game on my TV with my phone as a controller but it will probably work decently for slower games.

Fuz

Banned
Let's all pray they fail hard

elmo-fire.gif

Vox Machina

Banned
Streaming dinky little games that could probably just run natively.

LOL

These are just the ones they've inked deals for. They are also spinning up a AAA studio with Joe Staten as Creative Director: https://www.theverge.com/2023/4/17/23686693/netflix-joseph-staten-aaa-game-halo-veteran

I bet they're thinking: It worked so well for Stadia, so why not fail ourselves!

Haha, true. Although Stadia failed primarily because of a number of reasons:

1. They didn't embrace BYOG OR Multi-Game Subscription, you had to purchase the games outright on Stadia, even if you owned them elsewhere
2. They used a custom Linux backend with no emulation/compatibility layer like Proton, meaning developers had to engage in a very expensive porting process, with no guaranteed success, for a very small target market.
3. No original/exclusive IP. New platform with massive barriers to entry on both the consumer and producer side that has no Killer App? Dead in the water.
4. No revenue streams outside of their own platform.

Netflix, having the benefit of seeing all of that go down, should at least have plans to not fail spectacularly like Stadia

1. Netflix is already a Multi-Game Subscription that, as of this testing, now has Cloud Streaming included. This is similar in structure to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate.
2. No idea what backend they're using for the Cloud Streaming portion of the service. Android? Windows? Don't know, but probably not custom Linux.
3. At least one Original IP incoming through the aforementioned AAA studio. It won't be exclusive though (Joe Staten mentioned it was multi-platform) leading me to my next point
4. It seems they'll be publishing games natively on other platforms, similar to how Xbox publishes pretty much all of their games natively on Xbox and PC, and some of their games natively on other platforms (Playstation, Switch). So even if a potential customer doesn't want or have a Netflix subscription they can still monetize them elsewhere.

Netflix already has a much MUCH better business model than Stadia ever did, and the benefit of hindsight as well. They also have successful analogues to learn from (Xbox Game Pass, Luna (maybe?)). I wouldn't count them out just yet.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
I'm curious to see how well it works. But please also with gamepad support. I'm not going to play games on my phone.

CamHostage

This is part of of Netflix's effort to diversify away from low-revenue (comparatively) media streaming to higher-revenue media streaming (games). Movies and TV shows don't present as many "upsells" as games do. So as profit margins drop on traditional media streaming it seems clear Netflix sees the next frontier as game streaming.

Conceivably yes, but Netflix isn't really built to nickel-and-dime customers (for better or worse.) Adding a DLC monetization program would be a new revenue stream not included in the regular subscription plan. They've never really been able to add additional payments easily into their service, aside from offering different tiers of subscription for streaming or content resolution. So, it's possible, but it's not their familiar business model.

spons

Gold Member
Canada? You mean the country with one of the worst internet infrastructures in the first-world? Why the fuck would you test something like this out there.
You're just getting feedback from people annoyed at how laggy it is or how they've already hit their data caps.

Drew1440

So you control the games via your smartphone, and have it stream from the cloud. If these are the same mobile games then you might as well just screen mirror them from an android phone instead, which practically all smart TVs support. What's the point of the cloud here?

Vox Machina

Banned
Conceivably yes, but Netflix isn't really built to nickel-and-dime customers (for better or worse.) Adding a DLC monetization program would be a new revenue stream not included in the regular subscription plan. They've never really been able to add additional payments easily into their service, aside from offering different tiers of subscription for streaming or content resolution. So, it's possible, but it's not their familiar business model.

Yeah they would need to accustom their userbase to the idea of ad-hoc payments. That's where models like Game Pass do really well. DLC isn't included in Xbox Game Pass either but if I like a game and want the DLC it's a no-brainer for me to just hit the "buy" button, pay that ad-hoc payment, and then get access to that content. The same is not the norm on Netflix (as of now). Everyone's just used to paying a flat payment per month and then basically never thinking about it again.

Vox Machina

Banned
Yeah I get it; still doesn't make dinky ass games being streamed make sense lol

Yeah for these games that could be run natively on the phone it makes literally no sense other than "I'd love to see this indie game on my TV instead of my phone". Then again, it is only a test.

Gamepass killer

Seriously, this is the only company at the moment Microsoft is legitimately worried about. Also Sony already has a deal with Netflix on their movies. It will make sense if they have a partnership for games someday.

Last edited:
Top Bottom