• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix introduces Netflix Games

Draugoth

Gold Member
Tomorrow, Netflix Games will start rolling out on the Netflix mobile app. First on Android, with iOS on the way. It’s early days, but we’re excited to start bringing you exclusive games, with no ads, no additional fees and no in-app purchases.

FDM9i2TVQAIdlpt

We want to share all the details so you can start playing right away:

Level 1: Your Netflix Membership Is Your All-Access Pass

All you need is a Netflix subscription — there’s no ads, no additional fees and no in-app purchases. (Don’t let the demogorgon tell you otherwise).

Level 2: Available on Android Everywhere

Our mobile games are currently available on Android devices when you log into your Netflix profile:

• Members on an Android mobile phone will see a dedicated games row and games tab where you can select any game to download.
  • Members on an Android tablet will see a dedicated games row or be able to select games from the categories drop down menu to download and play.
Level 3: Players Around the World Welcome

Our mobile games are available in many of the languages we offer on service, so your games will automatically default to the preference set in your Netflix profile. If your language is not yet available, games will default to English.

Level 4: And Yes, That Means Every Profile on Your Account

Members will be able to play games on multiple mobile devices on the same account. If you hit your device limit— we’ll let you know and, if needed, you can sign out of devices not in use or deactivate them remotely on Netflix.com to free up a slot.

Level 5: Adults Only

We know how important child safety is to the parents, caregivers and guardians on our service. So these games are not available on kids profiles. If you’ve set up a PIN to prevent kids from having access to adult profiles, that same PIN will be required in order to log in to Netflix and play the game on a device.

Level 6: No Connection? No Problem!

While some mobile games may require an internet connection, others will be available to play offline, to make those long trips and areas with bad Wi-Fi a lot more tolerable.

Level 7: We’re Catering to Every Kind of Player

Just like our series, films and specials, we want to design games for any level of play and every kind of player, whether you’re a beginner or a lifelong gamer.

And we’re just getting started. We’re excited to continue improving our mobile gaming experience and adding to our entertainment offering in the months ahead.

So what are you waiting for? Let the games begi

Last edited:

Interfectum

If the games are anything like their movies then yikes. Cancelled my sub last month their output is fucking shocking bar one or two shows.
These are all mobile games. This forum doesn't even play mobile titles... it's only notable because Netflix is doing it.

If the games are anything like their movies then yikes. Cancelled my sub last month their output is fucking shocking bar one or two shows.
Their films are generally terrible bar a couple but some of their shows are damn amazing. Dark which is one of the best TV shows ever is a Netflix original. Their animated content is also crazy good (Castlevania, Love, Death and Robots being just a couple). Gotta hard disagree with you there pal.

I called it. I have a thread about it and some people couldn't grasp the idea that Netflix can offer gaming at no extra cost. I remember some were saying: "why would Netflix spend money on games, there's no guarantee that subscribers will play them." With the same logic, why would Netflix spend $20M on a new show. There's no guarantee that subbers will watch them.

Even if Netflix will just allot $1 billion of their budget out of the more than $20 billion yearly budget for content, that's a lot of games already.

On a side note, Sony combining movies, shows, anime, and videogames under one subscription doesn't sound so crazy after all. I have a thread about it and a lot of people couldn't grasp the financial feasibility of the idea thinking it would have to cost more than PSNow of $10/mo.

Last edited:

SZips

Really nothing there that interests me, but it's free with a Netflix sub, so it's probably going to get a lot of people at least trying some of these games out. If they had cost extra, then it'd be a total joke. Let's just see if future game releases stay included with the sub fee.

I've lost track of all the store stuff and legal rules. Can Netflix put games on IOS without going through apple and paying apple and all that jazz?
wait these games are already included in the sub we already pay. So nothing changes money wise.

Last edited:

Jaybe

Gold Member
Not my thing but I’m glad Netflix isn’t biting off more than they can chew with the initiative. Just making it something extra for people that want it. I get the Stranger Things games but figured that all the games would have some license tie-in.

clarky

Gold Member
Their films are generally terrible bar a couple but some of their shows are damn amazing. Dark which is one of the best TV shows ever is a Netflix original. Their animated content is also crazy good (Castlevania, Love, Death and Robots being just a couple). Gotta hard disagree with you there pal.
Dropped off dark after one season and I'm not into cartoons.

And the shows are not even close to the best of what TV offers, succession for example. There's a few half decent ones, but like I said they are few and far between. We've decided just to sub for one month a year to catch anything worth while. Obviously we all like different things I'm sure many people are happy with their sub

Each to their own though! Sorry for the derail.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
These are all mobile games. This forum doesn't even play mobile titles... it's only notable because Netflix is doing it.
Not sure what your point is there.

I was making the point that I find their video output shite so I expect this to be the same.

How do you know what the whole forums gaming habits are btw?

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
I wonder for how long they will keep that promise.

Having a faitful playerbase is usually enough for the companies.
Very true, they've talked about adding ADS into their streams and haven't so who knows.

Lets hope they've bought some competent devs.

It sucks that Apple is so shitty with people that this is Android only for who knows how long.

Ezekiel_

Banned
Soon, Disney+ will offer their games. HBO will offer theirs. Amazon Prime already does. Playstation will merge their subscription services into one all included thing. Microsoft has theirs. Not too long after we'll start seeing exclusive games and content on each subscription service. The fight for the superior subscription will be fierce. Will it be beneficial for the consumer? Only time will tell, but most likely we'll get fucked sooner or later.

Benedict Cumberbatch Reaction GIF

Doom and gloom /sarcasm, but not really

I called it. I have a thread about it and some people couldn't grasp the idea that Netflix can offer gaming at no extra cost. I remember some were saying: "why would Netflix spend money on games, there's no guarantee that subscribers will play them." With the same logic, why would Netflix spend $20M on a new show. There's no guarantee that subbers will watch them.

Even if Netflix will just allot $1 billion of their budget out of the more than $20 billion yearly budget for content, that's a lot of games already.

On a side note, Sony combining movies, shows, anime, and videogames under one subscription doesn't sound so crazy after all. I have a thread about it and a lot of people couldn't grasp the financial feasibility of the idea thinking it would have to cost more than PSNow of $10/mo.
I don't think ppl understand that Netflix got BUDGET! Content is all they do, they dump shit ton's of money every year to make sure their subscribers are satiated!

Wasn't there a "leak" of this Games on Netflix and the image was a PS game? Netflix definitely has the $$$ to pay for those. *announcer voice I new fighter has entered the arena.

reksveks

I don't think ppl understand that Netflix got BUDGET! Content is all they do, they dump shit ton's of money every year to make sure their subscribers are satiated!

Wasn't there a "leak" of this Games on Netflix and the image was a PS game? Netflix definitely has the $$$ to pay for those. *announcer voice I new fighter has entered the arena.
it was Ghost of Tsushima, I think it's a placeholder/vision of the type of games that they want.

Bkdk

Hopefully they will focus on interactive movies, seems like that's what they will do best with what they currently are doing. They can be a big competitor to sony if they focus on this.

Larxia

"and no in-app purchases."
I'm really not into mobile games, never play them, but if it's really something with no transactions inside, that's actually pretty decent, and surprising. In-game purchases are the worst thing especially on mobile games, because the whole design of the game will be made around making the player want to spend money, with things like limited points to play everyday, having to wait or pay to keep playing etc. Not having any in-app purchase means a totally different type of game design.
I'm a big genshin impact player on PC, free to play though, but the "resin" system is the worst thing about the game, being limited in how much you can play / farm everyday is a huge negative for a rpg.

I'm surprised they are doing mobile games like this though, I assume these are local mobile games, maybe they think streaming is not ready (which I think never will unless you don't mind low quality experience).

Chukhopops

Good idea but those games are not something I’d consider playing. If they actually create decent mobile games on their IPs that could be great, just make an Altered Carbon RPG and I’ll play it.

It sounds quite nice. I’m quite surprised at all the people sounding like Netflix is the first one to offer no in app purchases etc. Apple Arcade is doing exactly the same and has a quite nice library of games already. Not really many aaa blockbusters but a lot of fun games though.

Top Bottom