• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Official Game Soundtracks of the Year 2016: Voting Ends January 15th

Thoraxes

E.O.V; Following last year's A Mighty Power, E.O.V is a worthy successor. Unlike some other games this year, the vocal part feels well-written, well-integrated, and properly used. The inclusion of vocals isn't just to sound epic, but it's a core part of the music that the piece wouldn't be the same without it; something I can't really say about a lot of other games that featured chorus vocals this year. It's not just a piece of music that features vocals, but is a good vocal piece. The chorus and solo singing is is really great, and used meaningfully, and the way the timbre drops to let the soloists lead into the climax of the piece is good, nuanced writing by someone who understands the flexibility of voice writing.

Inner Twilight; Absolutely lush harmonic writing at the beginning. I was completely enamored by just how colorful the writing was in this one. Another great use of the Heimdallr theme.

Phantom Glimmer; Absolutely captures the mood of this place. Since similarly built locations were in previous Trails games (i'm being purposefully vague here), the instrumentation being similar to those locations in other games make sense. The lush timbre, wet sound mixing, and ethereal majesty of the music really made me understand just what kind of place I was in during this part of the game. Totally beautiful track(that opening figure is something I think about daily), and I love the percussion in this one (sleigh bells and hand percussion with the reverb are great).

Reverie Corridor; Most of the same as Phantom Glimmer, except the more determined sound conveys a good sense of exploration and motion. Totally beautiful part-writing.

To A Glimmering Tomorrow/Season of Departure; These two tracks totally wrecked me. A really great, albeit unexpected, final battle theme. It's a very sweet track that carries the emotional connections between the main cast in a convincing manner. Compared to the rest of the tracks that play during battle, this one is totally different, but it's super effective.

Senkou no Yukue; Like all Trails OPs, this is good. I love their main theme songs.

I'm only a recent convert to Falcom due to the fact that I only really discovered their existence over the past couple of years, but I don't think I've fallen in love with the output of a company as fast as I've fallen for them. The music was something I didn't know just how much i'd love, but i'm always consistently in awe by just how good the music they put out is. Since Cold Steel 2 includes much of Cold Steel 1's music, the sheer depth and variety of music in this game is insane. Cold Steel 2 is a two disc release and has a ton of music variety that is cohesive and in many ways elevates the first game's music. Cold Steel 2's soundtrack is my favorite of the year because of how well-made it is. The battle themes live up to the incredibly high standards set by the series. The field music captures the sense of exploration and mood of the scenario very well. The dungeon and event music elevate their scenarios and points/places where they're used. Overall, the music is just such an integral part of the game, that I feel like it really helped create a ton of perfect moments that elevated the rest of the game with it. This amazing soundtrack is definitely a key component to establishing the tone of the game, and is so consistently of a high quality that it's hard to find any major faults with it. At first I didn't think i'd like the music of these games, but it's so ridiculously well-made and well thought out that I feel like everyone can appreciate the craftsmanship on display here. I certainly became a huge fan for life.

At the end of the day, please give this game's music a listen, and please give this game's series a try. The soundtracks for these games are something I listen to daily, and the games themselves are something I think about daily too, and will carry them with me always. I hope you'll fall in love with them as much as I did.

2. World of Final Fantasy

thoraxesost20162vdug9.jpg

Absolutely amazing soundtrack as expected from the master, Masashi Hamauzu. It's harder to describe in simpler words, but basically his works always exhibit a lot of thoughtfulness, cohesion, and an absolute refinement of his material from the orchestration to the notes on the pages. His stuff is so high-quality that it's really hard not to recognize the amount of refinement he puts into his works. He always has clear ideas and executes the flawlessly in the best ways possible.

World of Final Fantasy is another game to join his legacy of great game soundtracks.

While I won't write as much here as I did for the above mentioned title, later I want to talk a little about how this soundtrack really is the culmination of a lot of ideas and works he's put out since leaving Square Enix after Final Fantasy XIII. Works of note include Legend of Legacy, Binbougami ga, Final Symphony (Final Fantasy X Piano Concerto), two albums with IMERUAT (Hamauza/Mina group that did the albums Black Ocean and Propelled Life as well as concerts), Sony World Clock website music, Paulette's Chair, and Typhoon Noruda.

In WoFF his style and adaptability really shines. From the fun/whimsical tracks, to emotional moments, to epic battles, and even atmospheric soundscapes, he covers it all with a really outstanding level of craftsmanship and attention to detail. In some pieces that I initially thought were cheesy or overly cute, I was extremely surprised to find such incredible compositions waiting underneath those cute exteriors. The simply titled Happy Melody was one such piece. In what sounds like a piano/bass/recorder/wood block/triangle piece, he manages to maintain his style while bringing with a level of harmonic complexity with such an odd assortment of instruments that is wholly his own sound. Without someone with good orchestration skills, it's easy to see how such a piece could've gone wrong in so many ways, but instead Hamauzu makes it feel like the most natural combination in the world.

Structurally, Happy Melody really is very straightforward, like most of his music. Extremely clean formal structures, well-spaced repetition and evolution of material, and clarity of presentation. Each instrument is treated with an equal amount of care, and each voice is always able to be heard because Hamauzu always has something interesting to say with each part. Instead of padding out the material and instrumentation, he uses only what's essential to deliver the material in the best fashion, and subsequently this affects the form by using repetition as a means to show how strong the material is that each part can stand as an individual. He never lets the material overstay its welcome either. It only lasts as long as it needs to, and as a result, he truly is the master of short-form, which is a huge majority of video game music. Honestly, this track is one of my favorites of the year because of just how perfect and concise it is. I've listened to it QUITE A LOT. Comical Melody is another very similar track with regards to approach and fun instrumentation/mood. The ostinato in that is simply amazing and colorful, and has some minor parts in it that are reminiscent of the piano part in the shop music from Legend of Legacy.

World of Grymoire is the title screen track. With Hamauzu, there's a certain amount of love that goes into these tracks, and I feel that his title screen pieces are among some of the best in the business. They always have such a sonorous warmth to them, and always manage to capture the feeling of the game in the best way possible. The first time I heard this track, I just closed my eyes and focused on the music, and by the end it ended up making me cry from just how beautiful it is, especially during the emotional climax of it (with the repeated 12-note pattern in the piano while the strings change their harmonies). There's something about the way his lush string writing and extended-tertian harmonic structures manage to hit me in the right spot every time, and this title track is no exception. One of my favorite tricks Hamauzu uses is the way he repeats material verbatim while repurposing the accompaniment, truly bringing a paradigm shift to the way you understand the melodic material. It's something he does extremely well.

World of Beauty is essentially the march prelude/overture for WoFF, like he's done with titles such as FF XIII, SaGa Frontier II, and Unlimited SaGa. I absolutely adore the repetition of multiple notes back-to back. Instead of using longer durations or just connecting the notes, the repeated notes give a nice shape to the sound because of the articulation of each pitch, repeated or not. It also allows for some cool minor rhythmic counterpoint. There are three instances of this in the main thematic phrase. In the C section, when the countermelody comes in with the flute/piano accompanied by the clarinet french horns/strings, it's an absolutely sublime contrast to the march section and has a really nice sense of motion to it despite the removal of percussion. Absolute refinement and clarity of ideas is on display here, and it's phenomenal. Moonlight Melody is a much reduced version of this material, and is absolutely sublime.

Lann's Melody is another piece I really love, though the section at 1:04 is totally amazing with how it develops, and the counterpoint on display. It's very much influenced from his IMERUAT work Leave Me Alone. Though it also seemingly has auditory ties to the track Hidden Forest from Legend of Legacy as well.

Reynn's Melody is more regal in presentation at the beginning (much like a processional), using stately downbeat strings with the melody that flows over the top. In the first two main sections, the main material and harmonic structure is repeated verbatim, but the change instrumentation transforms that material into a much more nuanced piece of perfection. Where the first melody was in the trumpet and oboe with a stately string accompaniment, the second time around the melody is in a cello at a high register except the piano fills the orchestra's spot, before being joined near the end of the phrase by the trumpet and oboe from the first phrase. The flip in orchestration is done very well because it clears up the sound so that the opposites can bring out the best in each other. A cello solo with an orchestra would be much less clear than piano and cello. When the strings start to move more underneath all three solo voices (at about 0:55), the way they move is reminiscent of People of the Far North/Servants of the Mountain. When the rest of the piece cools off, it reminds me a lot of the piano writing for Vanille's Theme in Final Fantasy XIII. The English horn solo after the quasi-reprise, followed by a doubling in the flute is a really great way to reintroduce the material in this sort of ternary form, but with a darker sound color than the intro.

World of Nine Woods Hills is so IMERUAT. Besides using vocals from Mina, the pop style fused with his own is basically the signature sound of that group. The intro is great, the buildup with the cello countermelody is great, the actual chorus is fantastic with simple vocals that really bring out a unique color thanks to the more breathy timbre of Mina's voice, and the subsequent instrumental version of that material with the piano and cello between entries of the chorus is absolutely lush. Very fun piece.

I love the battle themes. While I won't drone on them too much since i've already written a ton, I just want to say I really love them all. World of Battle is just so much fun and the way the instruments work with the more upbeat, rock-tempo is a ton of fun. The blending of styles is so much fun. Mega World of Battle is very reminiscent of IMERUAT's Giant in all the right ways and is a really fun piece.

My absolute favorite battle track is Another World of Battle. The chord structure, ostinato, electronic samples used, and the melody are all just so perfect. The melody is a great example of Hamauzu using his trademark cantabile style of melodic writing. The way the main melody handles repetition of phrasing (a a' a a' a a'') (each 4 bars long) is just so good, especially when the accompaniment repurposes itself consistently to keep the texture always interesting. You can tell that he was very confident about the material that it warranted such repetition, and I honestly love it a whole lot! The cello solo in the B section is such a good contrast to the material before it. Then the cooldown happens, and there's a nice little erhu solo to lead back into the section that ties into the loop as the tempo and texture pick back up. The excellent sense of phrasing, contrasting material, repetition, harmonic structure, and melodic figures just make it such an enjoyable track to listen to, and I always find myself humming the main melody when filling up a bottle of water or walking to my car at work. Very catchy and always great.

World of the Cathedral is a track that totally floored me the first time I heard it. Absolute sublime treatment of the material and impeccable orchestration. The way the cadential phrase period has step-wise chant connotations really lends itself to mimicry of voice part-writing. It's written in F phrygian! What's cool is only the pentatonic notes are used till the scordatura in m.7, which give it this amazing mood and intense change of mood from the rest of the phrase that really draws the listener in. The way it repeats the melody over and over while repurposing all elements of the accompaniment is amazing. When the percussion is layered in with the bass voice the music is elevated beyond the mortal realm into god-like territory for me. It's such a fun melody to sing, since it's in my vocal range, and it's a great example of Hamauzu repurposing accompaniment to suit an unchanging melody. The melody is just so solid that it's easy to understand why he built the whole piece around it, without it changing. I absolutely love this track with every fiber of my being and it's completely perfect in every way.

Anxious Melody reminds me a ton of Luxerion from Lightning Returns, particularly this section.

World of Addy is a really great take on the material from Besaid Island.

World of Sunshine is a great arangement of the main theme.

World of Sand is a really nice atmospheric piece that is very reminiscent of IMERUAT's Black Ocean, but with a middle section that elaborates on the fundamental parts scattered in the ethereal soundscape in a concise manner that is extremely alluring.

Hauyn's Melody is just good ol' Hamauzu piano writing. Sounds in line with a lot of his World Clock works. Just a simple idea elaborated and explored before it overstays its welcome.

Last World of Battle is a fantastic track that illustrates his mastery of orchestration, and is reminiscent of a few XIII tracks.

World of Hope is a a really lush soundscape with tons of repetition. Almost minimalist in a way with how it handles the repetition and layering in the first section. The melody even present is sparse, and when its used it's a lot of longer notes and longer phrases instead something more intricately written. The warmth that the color of this sound gives off is something I very much like.

Arrangements these are not only by Hamauzu, but also Shingo Kataoka, Hayata Takeda, and Takashi Honda. All of these composers did such a great job not only making good arrangements, but good arrangements that can stand on their own and mesh with the aural style of the game in a fun way. Prismelody: Lightning Returns is such a fun take on the original, and when the hand percussion comes in (good clapping and skin percussion!), the texture of the piece is so lively and fun. Prismelody: Snow -F- is super reminiscent of of Cirotto from IMERUAT's Black Ocean and a great arrangement of Snow's Theme. There were also good arrangements of tracks from Sigma Harmonics and Dirge of Cerberus as well.

For the more non-Hamauzu arranged stuff (using the credits as sourcing), I really enjoyed Prismelody: Eternal Wind, the three Clash on the Big Bridge arrangements, Prismelody: The Fierce Battle, Prismelody: Decisive Battle, Prismelody: Those Who Fight, Prismelody: Those Who Fight Further, Prismelody: Balamb Garden, Prismelody: Festival of the Hunt, Prismelody: A Fleeting Dream (a great arrangement surprisingly not handled by Hamauzu according to the liner notes), Prismelody: The Sending, Prismelody: Blitz Off! / Zanarkand, Prismelody: Chocobo / Wishes, Prismelody: Blinded by Light (duuuude I love this), and a few others too! The arrangements are great.

Overall I really love this soundtrack. It's about half and half new stuff /old stuff, with the old stuff being arrangements that are absolutely on point. I love how the culmination of Hamauzu's style over the past few years and influences from his other recent works can so easily be heard in the OST. It's such a solidly made soundtrack, and when you factor in the arrangements it's really is apparent that it's a large work of love that's consistent throughout. The way the aesthetic is kept consistent throughout the game is also really impressive when you consider the sheer number of original tracks and arrangements. I find that it worked its way into my daily listening while at work, and it never fails to absorb me. I love that despite being a fantastic game soundtrack, it's also just phenomenal music on its own. Even when I was in grad school, I was bringing piano reductions of a lot of his works to my composition and piano lessons. Heck, I even dedicated part of my graduate thesis to presenting analysis of his works since they hold up very well in even the academic space. Easily the best soundtrack for a game with Final Fantasy in the title this year by light-years. Can't wait to see what Hamauzu does next! He's always such an interesting composer that expands to the coolest projects.

Thoraxes

3. Zero Time Dilemma

thoraxesost20163tuuco.jpg

Shinji Hosoe did a great job capturing the feel of the series while building on it in a more varied manner than he has the past two games. While his music isn't typically melodic, it's the way he builds alluring soundscapes and manipulates electronic sounds through all means of synthesis that really capture my ear. I took a few electronic music courses while in college years and years ago, and I feel like that education helped me understand just how nuanced and well thought out the tracks in this game are. In this game, the focus is more about the quality of the sounds and the textures rather than melody or harmonics. I won't write too much here as i'm cutting it close on time as it is, but let me mention just a few tracks. Just to note, there are lots of arrangements of old tracks as well as new stuff here!

~Infirmary~; This track is great because of the constant heart monitor beep and heartbeat sound, and how their consistency makes everything revolve around them. The harmonies, the short melodic ideas that creep in but never stay too long, and the oscillating chords all revolve around it. Obviously it totally fits in with the theme of the area, being an infirmary and all. In the middle section the little harmonic sounds leave and there's a more noise-oriented soundscape with that oscillating bass voices that make some large leaps, creating a tiny moment of chaos before the track loops.

~Quondam Monitors~ [Monty Hall]; Probably one of the more traditional sounding electronic-focused tracks, the sense of pacing and phrasing is really good. It has two main sections, but the way the contrast is really nice. The first section is mostly atmospheric, with the melodic-like sound being long drones of notes over long stretches of time. The percussion helps give this cool groove that makes it jam. The pad sounds in the back along with the heavy reverb in the bass voice gives a sense of depth to the sound.

~Locker Room~; Since there's a lot of focus on water puzzles in this area, it makes sense for the sound to play to that strength. The core focus of this track is how single hits of sound reverberate and ripple from the moment of impact. This results in a very wet mix of sound with a cohesive theme that is found in all aspects of the track. I just love how many different ways he manipulates the different sounds to reverberate in different lengths to create a really beautiful soundscape.

~Trash Disposal Room~; This track is hot fire... okay, given the place this plays in the game, that was a bad joke, I know, I know. The tempo and the loudness of the noise and percussion really help solidify the urgency of the track. That high-bell like sound at the start very much sounds like an alarm of sorts, and the way it's slightly detuned adds a layer of rawness that fits the mood perfectly. Very percussive track that's very cool.

~Placidity 2nd Mix~; A melodic track, I absolutely love the bass voice in this. The way the piano, bass, and melodic figures interact have this really cool feel to them.

~Clarification 2nd Mix~; Good remix of an old track. Same with ~Divulgation 2nd Mix~ and ~Sacrificial Demise~ [Demise 2nd Mix].

~Blue Bird Lamentation 2nd Mix~; While the original track from VLR didn't hit me that hard, this rendition of that track in ZTD is totally awesome. The improvement in sound samples helps a lot with that. It's a little change to most people, but one that's really obvious to me and honestly helped improve my enjoyment of it, even if it's almost a 1:1 replica.

~Morphogenetic Sorrow~ [Mix 3] ZTD Ver.; Absolutely phenomenal take on the series' main theme. It also helps that the piano writing is very competent. I really love the ending section before the loop.

I'd write a ton more, but i'm mostly out of time! I really love this soundtrack and the way Hosoe really is an electonic music composer, understanding all the ins and outs of sound form manipulation and composition. Making music like this isn't an easy task, and he totally nails it in this game. His sound gives such a distinct identity to the game, that it's hard to imagine the series without it. It also helps that it's all killed puzzle solving music too!

Honorable Mentions

Xanadu Next; Falcom goodness like always.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE; I absolutely fell in love with a lot of the pop music, especially Dream☆Catcher. I really liked all of the game's regular music too.

World of Warcraft: Legion; So diverse and beautiful. The essence of the Broken Isles are captured very well.

Pokemon Sun/Moon; That E4 battle music is one of the coolest things ever. Was very surprised at just how varied this OST was, and how high quality it was in terms of samples used.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse; While it wholly incorporates the excellent SMT IV OST, the new stuff also stands on its own in the best way possible. I was heavily debating this as my number 3, but I wanted to highlight something I haven't touched on before. Absolutely phenomenal music in this game. Check out my write-up from a few years back of SMT IV's OST for more on that.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth; Takada goodness.

Fire Emblem Fates; More consistent, outstanding stuff. Really great all-around.

Kirby: Planet Robobot; Legitimate surprise of the year, as I've always enjoyed Kirby music, but never loved it. This game changed that perspective for me.

Paper Mario: Color Spash; More of the good Nintendo high quality composition and production values. They don't skimp on greatness.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward; I wasn't subbed most of last year, but reading other write-ups, I like what I hear.

I also was going to talk about a ton of stuff not released in the US this year, but I'll save those for when they come out over here. Mostly those include Ys VIII, Tokyo Xanadu, Persona 5, Etrian Odyssey V, just to name a few.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
And my bae Thoraxes is the king. :D

Thank you. I'm poring over your Sen 2 writeup. I just knew you'd love this soundtrack as much as I did when I wrote it up a few years ago. I knew you'd do WoFF justice too.

Edit: You know I haven't redownloaded the Alpha Clock/World Clock stuff on my phone? I should do that haha.

Thoraxes

And my bae Thoraxes is the king. :D

Thank you. I'm poring over your Sen 2 writeup. I just knew you'd love this soundtrack as much as I did when I wrote it up a few years ago. I knew you'd do WoFF justice too.

Edit: You know I haven't redownloaded the Alpha Clock/World Clock stuff on my phone? I should do that haha.

:D

Now you get to see the results of what I meant when I said I write less in a sitting, but more overall, haha. And with WoFF, I knew you liked it. I really wanted to go in on it a bunch. The whole package of the game just so damn endearing.

And there's even more World Clock stuff now too! That one Hamauzu youtube channel that collects his stuff keeps it updated pretty regularly with the stuff from the site, in addition to the stuff from the albums Hamauzu released himself.

Eolz

1. Doom : Most people didn't expect the game to be this good, and the OST even less. It could have been some basic remixes, or just some original composition that wasn't memorable or particularly remarkable, but instead we got one of the best heavy soundtracks in years. Some remixes are there, but sometimes well hidden, or really modernized so much it is like a brand new track.
Without falling into the nostalgia of old Doom, Mick Gordon managed to create a soundtrack harsh and hypnotic completely fitting the classic Doom universe, and leading to some synaesthesia moments during gameplay, where the beats sync up perfectly with the gore attacks, with Doomguy flying from a demon to another, all while making the player sweating to avoid damage. Bloody fantastic!
Main Menu - Flesh & Metal - Argent Combat - Death & Exhale -

2. SMT IV Apocalypse : This one is special. It expands on tracks from SMTIV (which was already excellent) all while pushing it further, going in different directions then trying to put this together again in a different way, making it similar yet different. It does call backs to some other previous games as well. It's still just as weird in some ways as other SMT tracks, a bit disturbing, yet a bit comforting. Classical, yet cyberpunk. Definitely Japanese, yet a lot more than that. SMT music is hard to describe for me, but it's definitely great!
Title - Large Map - The Beginning of the End - One Who Stands Against God

3. Let It Die : Unexpected both in terms of game and OST. Not only it bring 100s of different licenced tracks from japanese (or not) punk and rock bands, it has a really interesting soundtrack used during the gameplay that could be in a completely different game. This is classic grasshopper, and reminded me a lot of the Gamecube/PS2 era. I really wish this was available to buy or stream in some way. This is so diverse, it's hard to really put one above another in this huge tracklist. Put the radio on random in the game!
Escalator theme - TOTALFAT / Come & Get It #TC - Alternate Title Screen Music - Edo feat Tenbi / Yokozuna kokina (Gunkanyama final Boss) #TC - Jin-Die Theme

Honourable Mentions

x. Paper Mario Color Splash: Fantastic surprise! It uses a lot of instruments and does some fantastic interpretations of classic Mario themes, as well as some really great original tracks.
Sunset Express - Credits

x. Final Fantasy XV: The main tracks are absolutely fantastic! The rest, not that much, and that's a shame. Fantastic composer, and again, if everything was at the level of the best tracks, it'd be in my top 3.
Veiled in Black - Apocalypsis Noctis

x. TMS#FE : It deserves to be there just for how different it has been from any other game. It's really at heart a JRPG about idols, and using idols for the songs! It's something else, wish more people could experience it.
Reincarnation - Memory of the Sound of Rain

x. Picross 3D Round 2 : Really nice music for a really nice game. Since you can spend a long time on those puzzles, the music is perfectly made for this, and works really well.
Track 6 - Track 2

x. Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 : Bet you didn't expect this one! Without this kind of relaxing OST, DOAX would really feel different. The tracks are from another time, so fit perfectly. It's actually really good to listen on its own, depending on your mood.
Casino - Nyotengu

x.Brigador : underrated game, great OST that most people probably haven't heard until now. I think it counts as a 2016 game since the OST came out later if I remember well. It has that definite "retro future" feel that became so popular since some years.
Rise - Nexus

Hope it's not too many honorable mentions! :p (removed some)

LTTP

- Puyo Puyo Tetris : I know it's finally being released this year in the west, but since I imported it. Typically in the Puyo Puyo style, it can go from happy tunes to some particularly speedy rock. All while including a lot of remixes from those two franchises obviously! That's a must listen, and a must play.
Hopefully more people will discover that in some months! :)
Puyo Tetro Mix - Tectonic Tetro at War - Dimension Stage ~ Decisive Battle

micbri

Neo Member
1. The House in Fata Morgana
The wonderful music in The House in Fata Morgana really helps set the atmosphere and tone of the story, and is one of the key elements in elevating the game into my GOTY. In particular, the music is very good at highlighting the entire spectrum of emotions experienced in the game. From serene calmness, to intense disquiet, to haunting beauty, the music in The House in Fata Morgana truly is one of the most effective soundtracks I have ever experienced in gaming.
Some of my favorite songs among the many memorable pieces in the game include:
Cicio
Tarantula
Ciao Carina
Bianco o Nero
2. Fire Emblem Fates
The soundtrack in Fire Emblem Fates fits well with the game, especially with the most battle themes having a field/battle version. The Hoshidan/Nohrian split also helps in getting a wide variety of music in the game. All in all, a worthy successor to the soundtracks of previous Fire Emblem games.
Dusk Falls
You of the Light
You of the Dark
3. Final Fantasy XV
Ever since I heard FFXV's music in various trailers stretching back to years ago, I knew it had to be on my 2016 list somewhere.
Valse di Fantastica

Amazing posts, I wish I had the attention span, diction, and overall capacity to write such detailed write ups, keep it up everyone.

I really need to play Furi, the music I've listened to because of this thread sold me on it. Or maybe I should just listen to more Carpenter Brut and whoever else is in that circle.

&$*%$#tr@#ans&$&#miss$#$@#io#$#n
#$#$rec#$#ie##$%@#@ved#%#$#$#$$

The State of Virginia

26129b3a-c604-4141-b39f-18fadcd80f76_zpso4evgcw5.jpg

World 1: Paper Mario: Color Splash
1-1: Cherry Lake
1-2: Sunglow Ridge
1-3: Golden Coliseum

World 2: FURI
2-1: You're Mine
2-2: You Are The End
2-3: Danger - 6:24

World 3: Shantae: Half-Geni Hero
3-1: Mermaid Factory (Counterfeit Mermaids)
3-2: Tassel Town
3-3: Hypno Baron's Castle

EX Stages:
EX. 1: Forest
EX. 2: The Water Shelf
EX. 3: Cleigne
EX. 4: Delphinus Delphis
EX. 5: Shockwave

DLC Stage (off-map):
DLC 1: Steel Beat

Damaged/Incomplete-Date:

3DS RPGs the user hasn't made time for
Exclusive Vita games the user will never get around to

&$*%$#en@#&$&#d$#$@##$#
#$#$tr#$ans%#$#%miss#$#ion#$

Busaiku

1. Pokémon Sun and Moon
Originally, following my initial playthrough, while I really liked the music, I didn't necessarily consider it my favorite Pokémon track. However, revisiting the various cities, using the various themes on Battle Spot, and just listening to the music in general, I actually think this might just be my favorite ever. Overall, what really sets this apart from other tracks I really like, is that I feel that this world is truly alive. While other games make me appreciate the world, from an outsider's view, I feel as though I belong in Alola with this music. Much of the music is so inviting, uplifting, and feels more personal. I don't want to get too much into, but this is especially encapsulated in the Champion's Theme, which I feel is actually the strongest of the franchise. However there are also themes which I can appreciate more in the traditional sense of being more grand in nature, such as the Guardian Diety theme. Also has my favorite Red & Blue theme. Overall, this really has worked its way to be my favorite Pokémon OST ever.
Hau'oli City
Kahuna Theme
Champion Theme
Team Skull Leader
Champion Red & Blue
Guardian Diety

2. Fire Emblem Fates
The maps felt amazing when going through. The music really made the smaller stages (in relation to bigger games) feel so grandiose. A common theme across most of the songs were senses of despair leading into hope and vice versa. I think the best example of this is Azura's Theme, which slowly builds up, from a softer voice, to a more bombastic beat. It truly feels like the culmination of a campaign and the journey as a whole.
Azura's Theme
Thorn in You
Ties That Bind

3. The Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel 2
Despite me being introduced to the series just a year ago, I grew extremely attached to the characters and the world. The music of this game helped to bring back all the feelings of my time spent with them and really hit me hard. Boss battles, and the various events of the game got me pumped or brought tears of joy to my eyes. It also evoked a sense of nostalgia for more traditional RPGs, despite feeling new at the same time.
Transcend Beat
Reunion
Bring Up Trust

Honorable Mentions
xx. Kirby Planet Robobot
P-R-O-G-R-A-M

xx. Zero Time Dilemma
Bluebird Lamentation 2nd Mix

Sciz

Oooh, I haven't picked this up yet. I'm afraid of listening to the soundtrack out of context in-depth (ie: after 2-3 listens) because I'm afraid I wouldn't like it as much as CE DX.

The only CEDX track that stands up to the average quality of CE2's music is Pac-Steps.

Guess I should squeeze something out before deadline.

screenshot_doom_20160u4s50.png

1: Ancient Aliens (Stuart "stewboy" Rynn)
I'm probably stretching things a bit here, but screw it, this was probably the soundtrack that stuck with me the most this year for whatever reason, so I'm giving it some spotlight. It's a Doom mod for Boom-compatible source ports, so its soundtrack is entirely MIDI, but call me crazy, I'm still a fan of MIDI music, even in 2016. It's not very heavy on the rock guitars like the more energetic parts of the original Doom games were, but at the same time not as foreboding as the less-energetic tracks of those games were, either. Instead, it likes going for a style heavy on acoustic guitars and woodwinds, giving the first and last episodes something of a mellow Native American jive, while the second episode (set on the aliens' spaceships) is full-on techno. Surprisingly, it works very well! All-in-all, a soundtrack that's just as much a break-from-the-norm for Doom mod soundtracks as Ancient Aliens itself is a break-from-the-norm for Doom MegaWADs in general (I mean, aside from tight and difficult encounter design, it uses cyan and fuchsia heavily in its art design, two ranges woefully underrepresented in the default Doom palette).

Full soundtrack
"The Incessant Flow of Time" (MAP02: "Sanctum of the Wastes")
"Desk Lamp" (MAP04: "Bad Medicine Men")
"Hypercube" (MAP15: "Wormhole Junction")
"Space Jiggle" (MAP16: "Leave Your Sol Behind")
"Trapeze" (MAP18: "Illuminati Revealed")
"The Last Dance" (MAP22: "Acerola-Orion")
"Garden of Lost Souls" (MAP27: "Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls")

kirbyplanetrobobot8ys72.png

2: Kirby: Planet Robobot (Hirokazu Ando, Jun Ishikawa)
I haven't finished this game or listened to all of the soundtrack yet, the casino stage is enough for me. The new tracks have remarkably catchy melodies, which is about the most you can ask for out of a Kirby game. Otherwise, it's Kirby through and through - if one with a notable techno edge to it.

"Venturing into the Mechanized World"
"Pink Ball Activate! Robobot Armor"
"Program Rhythm"
"Gorgeous-Go-Around"
"Power Plant Inspection" (Kirby 64 remix)
"Green Laboratory" (Kirby's Dream Land 3 remix)

am2r_logoias3u.png

3: Another Metroid 2 Remake (Milton Guasn, Darren Kerwin, Torbjorn Brandrud)
This is a pretty nifty little mix of Metroid 2 music with various Metroid Prime tracks, whose limelight got cut short because Nintendo decided this was the best year to get incredibly litigious (which, I mean, is their right, but was rather unfortunate, since AM2R deserved a much better fate). I didn't get too far into this game, but far enough to know I dig it.

"Title"
"Forlorn Descent"/"Main Cave"
"Alpha Metroid Battle"
"The Queen"
"Credits"

header_doom4kysgd.jpg

Honorable Mention: Doom 4 (Mick Gordon)
Gonna be perfectly honest: as huge a fan as I am of Doom, I find this one kind of highly overrated. That said, I won't lie and say I didn't like any of it: "BFG Division" has a pretty clear melody that I like (though it takes a good two minutes to appear), and "Welcome to Hell" ends with a nice take on "Sign of Evil"... but otherwise, it just sounded like background noise, which definitely set the tone for the action-packed fights (I liked how it changed as the fights went on, doing Glory Kills and such), but was a far cry from the melodies of the original Dooms that I've long come to know and love. It's okay; nothing's for everybody.

header_arealmreborne2st1.jpg
header_heavenswardvsspx.jpg

LttP: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn/Heavensward (Masayoshi Soken, Nobuo Uematsu)
I'm not too confident in my top three soundtracks of 2016. I'm absolutely sure what the best soundtrack I heard this year was, though.

Early this year, around when a large snowstorm hit my neck of the woods, Steam decided to put both the base game and its expansion on sale for $30. I had seen a good friend post images from the game frequently on her Twitter, which got me interested in giving it a go, to play alongside her or at the very least seeing what the fuss was all about. Now, granted, I had never played a massively-multiplayer online RPG before, mostly avoiding them because, y'know, paying subscription services is kind of off-putting. I also haven't played most of the Final Fantasy series (I got up to Safer Sephiroth in VII, the World of Ruin in VI, and... uh, the fire cavern in I, I guess, but that's about it), so I knew the music was gonna be good, though didn't think it'd be remarkable enough to comment on.

But, uh, wow? This game is incredible. Like, it has seriously engrossed me like no other game this year did (barring Doom 4, I suppose), and its soundtrack, Jesus. Who the hell is Masayoshi Soken? How has he totally flown under my radar to this point? I mean, okay, they got Uematsu to do a fair chunk of the original iteration's soundtrack, as well as the theme tunes for it and Heavensward ("Answers" and "Dragonsong", respectively - mind the spoilers in the latter video!), but most of this is Soken's work, and... I friggin' love it. (Probably should buy the Blu-Ray soundtracks sometime - when I get a Blu-Ray drive, anyway.)

"Serenity" (This is pretty Jeremy Soule-ish; at least, I kept thinking of Skyrim incidental music while hearing it)
"On Westerly Winds" (love that fiddle at the start)
"To the Sun"
"Fealty"
"Against the Wind" (fittingly somber, considering when you first access it)
"Lost in the Clouds" (and fittingly uplifting, considering the same)
"Landlords" (love the reverb on those drums)
"Order Yet Undeciphered" (really nails the "final area" feel; love that it keeps playing in lieu of any battle theme)
"Wailers and Waterwheels" (very "Concerning Hobbits"-ish)
"I Am the Sea"
"Saltswept"
"A New Hope"
"Reflections"
"Solid"
"Nobility Obliges" (dat dulcimer/kalimba combo)
"Paradise Found" (while many find it grating, I'm more amused that Ocarina of Time's ocarina sample is in here)
"The Mushroomery" (ie:
"Matoya's Cave"
)
"Agent of Inquiry" (best questline, bar none)
"The Emperor's Wont" (dat synth lead @ 1:47)
"The Dark's Embrace"
"Riptide"
"Spiral" (or, "Answers" if it had the bassline from that one track from The Matrix)
"Promise of Plunder"
"A Fine Death"
"Steel Reason"
"Ominous Prognisticks"
"Primal Judgment"
"Under the Weight"
"Fallen Angel"
"The Maker's Ruin"
"Ultima" (love me a good Gregorian chant now and then)
"Battle on the Big Bridge" (probably the best version thereof)
"Torn From the Heavens" (turns the "Prelude" into a battle theme, and it works quite well)
"Primogenitor"
"Borderless" (remix of the above, but would you believe my first encounter with this song was riding this stupid thing)
"Limitless Blue"
"Woe That is Madness" (this reminds me so much of Sonic 2006's soundtrack, which incidentally is the only good thing about Sonic 2006)
"Heroes" (love how it ties together many of the tracks the game had up to this point)
"Fiend" (I think I'm liking Sephirot's theme better than Sephiroth's theme, dang)
"Aetherpause"
Weeping City of Mhach Theme (some nice FFIX for you, there)
"Locus" (smoothest boss music ever...)
"Exponential Entropy" (...except maybe for this one. I haven't started running Alexander: the Creator yet, but damn this ups the ante from "Locus". Forward and back and then forward and back and then go forward and back...)

Oops, that's practically the whole soundtrack. Oh well~

1. Trails of Cold Steel 2
2. Street Fighter V
3. The King of Fighters XIV

it was a good year. FFXIV and XV with great soundtracks, as always. Xanadu Next is another favorite. haven't played it this year though so nah. could mention a few more but nothing beats falcom with their top tier

Cold Steel2 soundtrack. can't wait to experience the new Ys and CS3 in the future.

Real last minute picks here.

1. Hyper Light Drifter : Fantastic stuff. Still have yet to go back to the game now that the 60fps update is out on console but this soundtrack has been in my audio rotation since launch.

Vignette: Panacea

2. Quantum Break : Really enjoy the electronic orchestra that Quantum Break uses; the distortions that work throughout the score is right up my alley.

Campus

3. Virginia : The soundtrack this made the game for me. The
flash-forward
sequence wouldn't have had nearly the same impact with a weaker score.

Main Titles

x. Shadow of the Beast
Grass Plains of Karamoon

x. ReCore
Main Menu

x. Mafia 3
11th Hour Blues

Ekai

a3647736652_10.jpg

1) Oxenfree
Composed by scntfc
Epiphany Fields
Beacon Beach
Lost *avoid reading comments, seriously, don't do it*

The music in this game is so divine and lovely to digest. At times unsettling, at times uplifting, but always an undercurrent of mytique, this OST is seriously one of my favorites in years. It's hard to find anything that compares. I'm just so enthralled by the music within that I can't help but drown myself in it. The way the notes just creep in, the way it crescendos, the way it dies out, the way it just sticks with you. Everytime I listen back to it it brings up all of my happy memories of playing it at the start of 2016. The music of Oxenfree is an experience all by itself but it did such a fantastic service to an overall masterpiece of a game.

a3572752221_10.jpg

2) Diaires of a Spaceport Janitor
Composed by Matt Briganti, Sal Ghamo and Jack Yeates
The Best Buskers (On This Street) In The Known Universe
Lighting Candles
Broken Ghosts

Festivals play a big part of Diaires overall experience (they're a part of the game's own culture afterall) and the festival music is always such a blast to just listen to. It's a fun, lighthearted romp at times. That is, of course, not all that the ost has to offer but it's easily the more standout tracks for how upbeat they are. That's what Candles represents. Broken Ghosts and Buskers represent other sides of the ost that are at times more atmospheric in nature and at other times more down-trodden and methodical in their nature. They are beasts unto themselves with their own structures that go to their own various beats. It's almost a sort of controlled chaos at times, jumping from one set to the next. There's hints of something bubbling right beneath.....which fits with the attitude of the game itself.

a2146479157_10.jpg

3) OneShot
Composed by Nightmargin (Casey Gu), ft Eliza Velasquez and Michael Shirt
Phosrphor
Niko and the World Machine
Pretty nice day huh

OneShot is a ost built on emotions of wonderment. On melancholy. On restful days and a striving towards brighter (no pun intended) tomorrows. It's a ost that really speaks to the heart of the game itself and I appreciate it ever so much for complimenting the game the way it does.

Like the other two entries, the osts themselves feel like they add to the character of the world of the game's themselves. They feel like they have a stake in the narrative itself by influencing your emotional response to various situations. Although any OST with worth will do that. So, thanks to OneShot for continuing that trend. Indie's had some damn good ost's this year.

a1873003511_10.jpg

x. Oxenfree: Side Stories EP
Composed by scntfc
Operation Downfall
Better Not Go Alone
Black Lantern

An EP of tracks that didn't end up in the game but still freaking rock. Would have loved to see where they would have gone if they did end up in the game. Only in honorable because I wanted to give each game a slot.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Keep them coming! The deadline is 11:59 PM PST so voting closes after that.

I can't stay up for then since I have to be up early tomorrow but please continue voting until then. Otherwise, the thread should be up on Tuesday. If I finish it quickly enough on Monday that would be lucky.

Soma

1. Let it Die

I just adore the entire concept of this soundtrack. That Akira Yamaoka handpicked around 100 lesser-known bands from a wide range of genres to contribute to this game's soundtrack with the sole request of their songs to have a theme of "Let it Die" is so great to me. Every artist that contributed has a different sound from the next one whether it's metal, electronic, j-rock, pop or punk and yet every song that appears on the radio fits the tone of this weird crazy game so well. Nearly every song is loud and aggressive and totally fucking cool that I love just hanging out and listening to what song pops up next on the radio. The times these tracks are used in cutscenes are unfortunately kinda sparse but when they do pop up they fit the scene like a glove (the Meet The Jackals scene in particular). I'm glad that Yamaoka has given every artist such a unique platform of exposure so that people like me can further seek them out. Let it Die has not only given me hours of entertainment from the game itself but has also provided me a sampler of sorts of over 100 different Japanese bands that I am excited to check out more.

2. VA-11 HALL-A

I feel like a lot of games lately are falling victim to this very popular grim, too-serious cyberpunk style and while this game dabbles in a lot of that, it provides a spotlight to something much more unique in the cyberpunk genre and that shows up in spades with the soundtrack. I was expecting a lot of the tracks for this soundtrack to have a much darker vibe but there is just this constant bright and colorful atmosphere to so many songs here that I can't help but fall in love with. It all feels very methodical and nearly every key and every synth displayed never feels like it needs to be more or less than what it needs to be in the context of this game's narrative.

3. Furi

I still haven't beaten this damn game and I still need to back to it but man the soundtrack was the best motivation for me to "keep trying to get through another stage with this boss". There's been so many times where I wanted to give up or take a break but I just really needed to hear the next part of whatever song was playing. This has some of Carpenter Brut's best material after loving what he's done in the Hotline Miami games. I love when games take the soundtrack and progress it in context with what the player does at that very moment and this is one of the best examples of a game that has done that.

Resonance

1. Doom - A hard soundtrack that matched perfectly with the action on screen. The way it faded in and out to match what was happening made the game so enjoyable. The sheer vicariousness of it all was incredible.
BFG Division
Argent Combat
Rip and Tear

2. Pokemon Sun and Moon
Moving away from some of the series traditions seems to have done a lot of good for the game and the music was very much part of this. The battle themes especially got a real nice overhaul. The variety and the experimentation were a very welcome change to the previous gen soundtrack.
Team Skull Battle Admin!
Battle Legendary Pokemon

3. Fire Emblem Fates
The musical definition that went into each half of the game is really what has me putting this here. That stated I felt the Conquest was a bit stronger if only because bagpipes and Celtic flute. That stated both sides were very strong and provided a strong musical backing for the game and the choices you made.
Dusk Falls
Alight (Birthright)
Prepare for battle (Nohr)

Honorable Mentions:

Furi - In a game all about the boss fights this needed to have a strong accompaniment and it more than made that happen.
Shantae Half Genie hero - This is here solely because of the vocal song and the mermaid factory theme.
Paper Mario Color Splash

And with Sneaky Gato's fitting sneaky last-minute vote, the voting is closed. A big thanks to everyone that participated this year. We had over 150 more voters than last year, which isn't insignificant for these threads. I couldn't be more pleased with the turn-out, and some of the deep cut votes of games I otherwise never would have heard of. Currently working my way through VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action, and it's all because of this thread.

jb1234

What this thread is making very clear is that I need to play through the Cold Steels, haha. Falcom always delivers with its music.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, add your HM in another post so I can see it and easily add it when I get home. I don't mind.

The thread finally getting pinned really helped its visibility, the turnout was really good this year.
haha, well, the tiny little insignificant details of that happening involved me whining while drinking so I appreciate the mod in question doing it. They didn't have to. I should have been more forward in asking.

Just so you know, I am absolutely rehosting and adding this picture to the results thread because I like it so much.

also ;)

NEO0MJ

Honorable Mentions:

x. BlazBlue: Central Fiction
Most of the tracks are reused from CP, but there were still some nice tracks here. Susanoo's theme especially is something I wanted to hate but couldn't help but love in the end.
Must Die
In the Shadows

Top Bottom