• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASA shows what the Jupiter's Red Spot would look like if you were soaring over it

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

mZzUGxc.jpg

This image of Jupiter’s iconic Great Red Spot was created by citizen scientist Björn Jónsson using data from the JunoCam imager on NASA’s Juno spacecraft.

This true-color image offers a natural color rendition of what the Great Red Spot and surrounding areas would look like to human eyes from Juno’s position. The tumultuous atmospheric zones in and around the Great Red Spot are clearly visible.

The image was taken on July 10, 2017 at 07:10 p.m. PDT (10:10 p.m. EDT), as the Juno spacecraft performed its seventh close flyby of Jupiter. At the time the image was taken, the spacecraft was about 8,648 miles (13,917 kilometers) from the tops of the clouds of the planet at a latitude of -32.6 degrees.

Isn't this shrinking with it expected to be gone within a couple of decades?

Dang, I thought there was no way it could disappear but yeah its been shrinking 1,000km a year for a while now, and if that rate doesn't change it'll be gone in another 15 years or less :( They have absolutely no idea though why its shrinking. MONOLITHS??
http://theconversation.com/jupiters-great-red-spot-could-disappear-in-a-generation-26798

Something really sad about reading that.

Slayven

If you read the sequels to 2001 a space odyssey you will learn the core of Jupiter is actually an earth sized diamond that a chunk of lands on Mars after ending of the movie.

My point being is don't read the sequels to 2001

Servbot24

Banned
you mean solar system? we have no clue what 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the planets/moons in our galaxy look like.

Well I can only be fascinated by features that I'm aware exist, other than the general intrigue of the unknown :p

but yes i did mean solar system, lol

Is is weird I wanna know what it feels like to be in that storm?

If you were wearing something that could withstand the elements, you'd be blown around at up to 400mph and change speeds depending on altitude. I imagine it'd induce a lot of motion sickness at the least, lol.

I've always been fascinated by planetary winds. 200mph+ on Earth's strongest hurricanes is crazy, and you think about doubling that for winds in the Red Spot and it's absurd.

But then you realize Neptune can whip up winds approaching 1500mph. Basically Mach 2 fucking wind. Wtttfff. Imagine that hitting some isolated part of Earth, like one of the larger cities. Shit would just vaporize.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
If you read the sequels to 2001 a space odyssey you will learn the core of Jupiter is actually an earth sized diamond that a chunk of lands on Mars after ending of the movie.

My point being is don't read the sequels to 2001

I sort of enjoyed them. The real core is likely metallic hydrogen.

alternade

This probably a dumb question so feel free to laugh.

Would it be possible to have one of these satellites enter Jupiter's atmosphere or at least get closer than this to it?

We probably don't have anything that can withstand the airspeed or whatever foreign chemicals are on the planet right?

Would it be possible to have one of these satellites enter Jupiter's atmosphere or at least get closer than this to it?

We probably don't have anything that can withstand the airspeed or whatever foreign chemicals are on the planet right?

iirc that thing is a giant storm. Anything that would get close to it or the atmosphere would probably get annihilated. And that would be a huge waste because it takes so damn long for us to get something out there. lol

Bregor

NASA's Galileo spacecraft dropped a probe into Jupiter's atmosphere.

Oozer3993

The Galileo spacecraft that visited Jupiter in the 90s included a probe that was sent into the planet and survived for roughly an hour and made it 600 Km down. The Galileo spacecraft itself was sent into the planet to keep from contaminating any of Jupiter's moons.

Top Bottom