• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASA's Juno Mission |OT| Now in orbit around Jupiter - New images released (9/2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This shot is interesting and seems to be the closest to the planet atm. It makes me wonder if the camera isn't calibrated to see the cloud layers properly, or if Jupiter's cloud layers are a lot less defined when closer than we originally thought. I'll admit I was envisioning something much similar to Sagan's old art from Cosmos:

But maybe it's much more smoggy and liberal in its definition down there.

That picture is at Jupiter's north pole, where cloud layers are much less pronounced. It's so different, that almost looks like liquid... haha

Lime

APOD had the latest pictures as Picture of the Day today:

JunoCamJupiterNS2panelc.jpg

Explanation: A wide, looping orbit brought Juno close to Jupiter on August 27. As the spacecraft swung around the giant planet's poles JunoCam acquired these premier direct polar views, a change from the usual nearly equatorial perspective of outbound spacecraft and the telescopes of planet Earth. The sunlit side of Jupiter's north polar region (left) was imaged about 125,000 kilometers from the cloud tops, two hours before Juno's closest approach. An hour after close approach the south polar region was captured from 94,500 kilometers away. Strikingly different from the alternating light-colored zones and darker belts girdling more familiar equatorial regions, the polar region clouds appear more convoluted and mottled by many clockwise and counterclockwise rotating storm systems. Another 35 close orbital flybys are planned during the Juno mission.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap160914.html

Lime

Some big news is coming apparently, but NASA is waiting for publication of this particular new story. The associated scientists say that the discoveries by Juno is going to clear the frontpage of Science.

The smaller findings so far have revolved around Jupiter's aurora borealis, among other things, as far as I can recall from the radio show I listened to this morning.

A lot of the books on planet formation will also have to be revised due to the new findings apparently.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/jupiter-s-north-pole-unlike-anything-encountered-in-solar-system

Surfinn

Some big news is coming apparently, but NASA is waiting for publication of this particular new story. The associated scientists say that the discoveries by Juno is going to clear the frontpage of Science.

The smaller findings so far have revolved around Jupiter's aurora borealis, among other things, as far as I can recall from the radio show I listened to this morning.

A lot of the books on planet formation will also have to be revised due to the new findings apparently.

Interesting. Do you have a link?

The most boring planet in our solar system is way more interesting in anything in no mans sky. Not saying Kupitor is the most boring

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/jupiter-s-north-pole-unlike-anything-encountered-in-solar-system

I'm going to guess that Jupiter is actally made of 4 smaller planets hiding inside it's atmosphere.

Hopefully the news comes out soon.

Surfinn

If you can understand Danish, yes: http://www.dr.dk/radio/ondemand/p1/videnskabens-verden-2016-09-21

It's the professor of SPACE at the Danish University of Technology who says that he's not allowed by NDA with NASA to reveal what the discovery is, but that it's something that they're pretty certain that it'll clear the frontpage of Science Magazine (quite a feat, considering its pedigree).

Nice, thank you for this. I've got Google Chrome Translate, which is the next best thing.

EDIT: Oh it's a podcast. Well shit I don't think we're quite at that level yet Chrome.

Lime

Nice, thank you for this. I've got Google Chrome Translate, which is the next best thing.

EDIT: Oh it's a podcast. Well shit I don't think we're quite at that level yet Chrome.

I'll make sure to post an article whenever it'll be published on what the initial findings are

They will say that Jupiter has a rocky interior surrounded by a thick atmosphere instead of being almost completely gas. :p

Honestly though, I have no idea but I can't wait to know more. This is so exciting.

Nothing to do with Juno, but since it's Jupiter-related, I'm posting it here...

NASA to Announce 'Surprising' Europa Discovery Monday.

NASA will announce new findings about Jupiter's ocean-harboring moon Europa during a news conference at 2 p.m. EDT (1800 GMT) on Monday (Sept. 26).

"Astronomers will present results from a unique Europa observing campaign that resulted in surprising evidence of activity that may be related to the presence of a subsurface ocean on Europa," NASA officials wrote in a media advisory Tuesday (Sept. 20).

It's not aliens.

belushy

Banned

I hope its soon.

So, earlier in October Juno had to enter safe mode because of a software glitch. By the 25th it was powered back on but for safety measures they did not do an engine burn that was supposed to shrink the craft's orbit to 14 days (instead of the current 54 days) :/

Also, it did not collect any data due to the system reboot at the time of the flyby :(

So now they will do this engine burn by december 11, on the next flyby.

The bad thing is, Juno's instruments were made to last a number of flybys only (IIRC, 6 is the number),due to the huge amount of radiation they are exposed to, so any time wasted is a real pity, as the instruments will become more and more degraded until they stop working.

Where are all the jaw dropping images we are supposed to get? I was expecting some high definition images or something. So far the coolest thing to come out of this mission(media wise) has been the time lapse video of the approach.

Xe4

Banned
Where are all the jaw dropping images we are supposed to get? I was expecting some high definition images or something. So far the coolest thing to come out of this mission(media wise) has been the time lapse video of the approach.
C44g8ZpVYAENgDp.jpg

?
Anyhow, pictures are a secondary priority behind the science.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
esLpMwT.jpg

NASA’s Juno spacecraft skimmed the upper wisps of Jupiter’s atmosphere when JunoCam snapped this image on Feb. 2 at 5:13 a.m. PT (8:13 a.m. ET), from an altitude of about 9,000 miles (14,500 kilometers) above the giant planet’s swirling cloudtops.

It's weird. Those clouds look like many different layers of various liquid chemicals repelling one another. I mean, that's probably what it is after all, with all the gravity + pressure this giant has.

Log4Girlz

esLpMwT.jpg

NASA’s Juno spacecraft skimmed the upper wisps of Jupiter’s atmosphere when JunoCam snapped this image on Feb. 2 at 5:13 a.m. PT (8:13 a.m. ET), from an altitude of about 9,000 miles (14,500 kilometers) above the giant planet’s swirling cloudtops.

That's a latte. Fake news.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
PhhOtuf.jpg

This close-up view of Jupiter captures the turbulent region just west of the Great Red Spot in the South Equatorial Belt, with resolution better than any previous pictures from Earth or other spacecraft.

NASA’s Juno spacecraft captured this image with its JunoCam citizen science instrument when the spacecraft was a mere 5,400 miles (8,700 kilometers) above Jupiter’s cloudtops on Dec. 11, 2016 at 9:14 a.m. PT (12:14 p.m. ET). Citizen scientist Sergey Dushkin produced the sublime color processing and cropped the image to draw viewers’ eyes to the dynamic clouds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom