• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASA's Juno Mission |OT| Now in orbit around Jupiter - New images released (9/2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Almost at the halfway point!

6TYQoAU.jpg

Lime

I was just at the National Space Center in Leicester, UK and I saw how important the probe missions were to all the information we have on the planets, especially Neptune and Uranus. It made me really excited for Juno :p

By the way, are there any other probes out there or missions towards anything beyond Saturn?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I was just at the National Space Center in Leicester, UK and I saw how important the probe missions were to all the information we have on the planets, especially Neptune and Uranus. It made me really excited for Juno :p

By the way, are there any other probes out there or missions towards anything beyond Saturn?

Actually up and roaming around? Only New Horizons which is heading to the Kuiper belt. Other than that, Cassini mission ends Sept 2017 and Juno shortly after that in 2018.

There is something planned for Europa though.

This mission got me thinking about Voyager 1, do we still receive transmissions from that satellite even though it's outside of the solar system?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
This mission got me thinking about Voyager 1, do we still receive transmissions from that satellite even though it's outside of the solar system?

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe Voyager 1 still sends faint signals back. It has power to last until 2025.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I really really hope when Juno deorbits into Jupiter we somehow can get some pictures of the inside before the camera melts or whatever

Crisco

Banned
I really really hope when Juno deorbits into Jupiter we somehow can get some pictures of the inside before the camera melts or whatever

Won't it basically be pitch black? It's atmosphere looks stunning from space with the Sun's light illuminating it, but I can't imagine the light penetrates too far past the outer layers of clouds and dust.

Won't it basically be pitch black? It's atmosphere looks stunning from space with the Sun's light illuminating it, but I can't imagine the light penetrates too far past the outer layers of clouds and dust.
You still get light in an overcast day, it will penetrate somewhat. You also will get a lot of infrared because the planet's pretty warm for something outside the goldilocks zone.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

I don't think the camera is going to be functional that long. Jupiter's radiation is gonna to ruin the camera very quick.

fallout

Juno reaches Perijove 1 (first closest approach to Jupiter with all its instruments turned on) on August 27th. We should get images back sometime shortly after that.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Set those alarm clocks:

This Saturday at 5:51 a.m. PDT, (8:51 a.m. EDT, 12:51 UTC) NASA's Juno spacecraft will get closer to the cloud tops of Jupiter than at any other time during its prime mission. At the moment of closest approach, Juno will be about 2,500 miles (4,200 kilometers) above Jupiter's swirling clouds and traveling at 130,000 mph (208,000 kilometers per hour) with respect to the planet. There are 35 more close flybys of Jupiter scheduled during its prime mission (scheduled to end in February of 2018). The Aug. 27 flyby will be the first time Juno will have its entire suite of science instruments activated and looking at the giant planet as the spacecraft zooms past.

Not only will Juno's suite of eight science instruments be on, the spacecraft's visible light imager -- JunoCam will also be snapping some closeups. A handful of JunoCam images, including the highest resolution imagery of the Jovian atmosphere and the first glimpse of Jupiter's north and south poles, are expected to be released during the later part of next week.

jett

D-Member
Have they been releasing any new pictures as Juno approaches Jupiter?

edit: seems it's still pretty far away.

Have they been releasing any new pictures as Juno approaches Jupiter?

edit: seems it's still pretty far away.

According to the article they are aiming to release some images late next week.

A handful of JunoCam images, including the highest resolution imagery of the Jovian atmosphere and the first glimpse of Jupiter's north and south poles, are expected to be released during the later part of next week.

Is it next week yet? Come on already, hurry up!

DrEvil

not a medical professional
First pictures from jupiter..

monolith%20close%20align.jpg

But in all seriousness, I can't wait to see what the detail level is coming back from juno... I really hope there's some visual distinction in the cloud layers and, ugh, I can't wait till Sept 1st... lets hope they tease some stuff out earlier.

I feel like this may be the closest I'll ever get to my favourite planet before I die, I look forward to seeing what the craft saw immensely. What a trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom