• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NASA's Juno Mission |OT| Now in orbit around Jupiter - New images released (9/2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchap

Well, excluding dealing with General relativity, most orbital mechanics is simple physics invented hundreds of years ago. At worst there are calculations that have to be calculated numerically instead of solved analytically. It in a lot of ways is easier than dealing with aerodynamics, because you don't have air residence and flow and stuff mucking up the calculations. It's why most accidents happen while launching or landing.

What makes it difficult is coordinating the orbital mechanics with all of the other technical aspects on the mission, coding the computer to pull off the manuver automatically, and doing it correct the 1st time knowing that I'd you fail you will destroy a million or possibly billion dollar machine.

The physics is easy the engineering is hard

Firstly, if you do find something during a later exploration you want to be sure it came from that place and not some earlier contamination. Secondly, there's actually a space law forbidding the contamination of other planets and moons.

Enforced by...

space_precinct_logo.jpg

sono

I think this mission is truly wonderful. I am very happy for them they made it there ok and cannot wait for the science data to start to reach us.

golem

They dont answer how do they feel about the budget Nasa currently has.
Its none of their business, but It would be awesome if they did say how do they feel.

Still, they give them money, they do the job.

Unfortunately the budget is not so much give NASA a lump sum and let them figure out what to do with it. Funding is very specific and there are a bunch of politics between the Administration and Congress behind what program gets funded vs what doesn't. For example the Administration might request less budget for the SLS while Congress might allocate more because it falls within someone's district. Also Obama doesn't seem to be very much in favor of planetary exploration unfortunately-- thats why people arent ready to give the Administration much credit for getting to Jupiter.

I think what is really missing is a solid proposal for a future roadmap to bigger goals such as sending people to Mars or establishing a base on the Moon. Without an actual vision and program for the future its hard for the public to rally behind goals and convince the branches of government to work together to achieve these breakthroughs. The current NASA administration doesnt seem to be interested in such things however.

Disxo

Think their mission to Europa required by the congress would be the roadmap they currently need, considering that they also require the sls to do that mission.

I dont know if it is going to turn out well for Nasa but, under pressure, things may move faster :/

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Stupid question but what about the Mars rover? Didn't that contaminate Mars?

There are some levels of contamination controls (such as heat sterilization, similar to what one might do to laboratory glassware, I suppose), but there's a lot of debate about the effectiveness of these. In some cases they probably just say "Hey, we did the best we could but this is something we need to investigate." There is definitely some simulated evidence that some terrestrial lifeforms could survive on Mars for some period of time, so its definitely a reason for concern, especially as we move towards manned missions.

Silly question, but I'm curious if a tardigrade(water bear) could make it on Jupiter, or any other planet. I figure if you can survive naked space, you can make it in a ton of places.

ike_

The upper levels of the atmosphere have life in it, how do they avoid that?

Hah, that's an interesting question. But I'll bet traveling at upwards of 54 km/s for 5 years, stray space dust does a good job of sandblast dry cleaning the probe. I wonder if they factor that in.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
The upper levels of the atmosphere have life in it, how do they avoid that?

Hah, that's an interesting question. But I'll bet traveling at upwards of 54 km/s for 5 years, stray space dust does a good job of sandblast dry cleaning the probe. I wonder if they factor that in.

When they launch probes up, it's usually in fairings, which were originally intended for the protection of the probe and aerodynamics, but now double for maintain clean-room levels of decontamination. The fairings generally get discarded once is out of the atmosphere and the probe is in orbit around the Earth, so the probe shouldn't be catching anything specially.

Disxo

When they launch probes up, it's usually in fairings, which were originally intended for the protection of the probe and aerodynamics, but now double for maintain clean-room levels of decontamination. The fairings generally get discarded once is out of the atmosphere and the probe is in orbit around the Earth, so the probe shouldn't be catching anything specially.
Like ksp!
>.>

Nowy

I've seen references in this thread and other parts of the internet that if Jupiter was just a little bit bigger, we'd have two Suns. Jupiter would need a lot, a lot, more mass for fusion to start in its core. There is a celestial body called a Brown Dwarf which is like a failed star, a massive object but not quite massive enough to start fusion. Even compared to a Brown Dwarf, Jupiter is tiny and would need a lot more mass.

Disxo

Nah, I knew that ksp was not too far from reality, just forgot that fairings were actually into the game and can serve that purpose.
Btw, is there any space OT in gaf?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, I knew that ksp was not too far from reality, just forgot that fairings were actually into the game and can serve that purpose.

I don't think there is. But if it were there'd be a proportional amount of posts to NASA's budget.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

Not that I'm aware of. There is a catch-all scienceGAF OT but its seems more a community thread for those of us that are researchers or graduate students in science programs.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
There isn't a space gaf really. I mean, there is a small community of us that are interested, but not sure there would be enough interest for a catch-all space thread. I have thought about making it in the past. Mostly to post pictures coming from Cassini.

Disxo

Was just asking, in case It didnt appear in my radar, I certainly feel like small OT's like these will work better than a big Space related one.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I've seen references in this thread and other parts of the internet that if Jupiter was just a little bit bigger, we'd have two Suns. Jupiter would need a lot, a lot, more mass for fusion to start in its core. There is a celestial body called a Brown Dwarf which is like a failed star, a massive object but not quite massive enough to start fusion. Even compared to a Brown Dwarf, Jupiter is tiny and would need a lot more mass.
Well, that's why we keep piling probes on it.

Was just asking, in case It didnt appear in my radar, I certainly feel like small OT's like these will work better than a big Space related one.

It would be cool to have a big space OT that can link to and make people aware of the smaller OTs for specific topics though. All these different OTs can be hard to find unless you're actively searching for a specific one, especially if you don't look at the off-topic side often.

I'm sick of people constantly shit-talking Jupiter

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
God, the sun is so big. Like, I see Earth there next to it and it just boggles the mind how much tinier we are. And yet our sun is also super tiny compared to some other stars out there. Like, how can I even comprehend that? It's just impossible.

Now imagine that there are some suns in our galaxy that are so big that our actual sun is the size of Earth compared to them.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The size difference is just incredible between all the planets and suns.

With Juno be able to take pics of what the surface of Jupiter looks like?
Wouldn't that be the planet's core?

Not directly, most of Jupiter is gas. But by measuring the magnetic field and gravity Nasa wants to map Jupiter's structure.

Jezbollah

Nope. The craft will be more than history due to high temperatures and pressure way before it gets anywhere near a solid surface :(

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

As planned, the spacecraft returned to high-rate communications on July 5 and powered up five of its science instruments on July 6. Per the mission plan, the remaining science instruments will be powered up before the end of the month. Juno’s science instruments had been turned off in the days leading up to Jupiter orbit insertion.

The Juno team has scheduled a short trajectory correction maneuver on July 13 to refine the orbit around Jupiter.

"Prior to launch five years ago we planned a date and time for the Jupiter orbit insertion burn and the team nailed it,” said Rick Nybakken, project manager for Juno from NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California. "We are in our planned 53.4 day orbit. Now we are focusing on preparing for our fourth and final main engine burn, which will put us in our 14-day science orbit on October 19.”

The next time Juno’s orbit carries it close by the planet will be on Aug. 27. The flyby is expected to provide some preliminary science data.

I've heard that multiple times, too, even in documentaries. But when clarified, "a bit" means something like 50 times more massive. So, not really true.

fake edit: Wikipedia says 75 times.

Over 3 times more massive, though. Saturn's a lightweight. :)

jett

D-Member
First image post-orbit:

UTZhuMi.jpg

aLasFhX.jpg

Nice.

I can only imagine/hope they will be taking consecutive pictures of Jupiter as Juno comes back around and gets nearer and nearer...cuz that would just make for a really awesome video.

I take it the red circle bits are just artifacts from stitching or compression, right? They're all over the image and it looks a little weird first thinking they're blurred stars when focusing on the planet's shadow.

u0UTAYI.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom