• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jupiter's red spot shrinks to smallest size ever seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanspeed

Banned
From_earth_to_the_largest_star.gif
This is just incomprehensible:

xA75kIH.jpg

Whats also pretty amazing about this picture is that despite this star's insane size, our solar system is still a fair bit bigger than it.

I wish I could ghostify myself and teleport to places like that. It must be an incredible sight from the ground level (if in fact you can see anything)

Is there any chance it could dissipate completely?

Do scientists even know what's causing the storm? I know Jupiter is a gas giant, but does that mean it has no solid mass? Do we know why the planet's weather is so chaotic? If it has storms, does that mean it has an atmosphere?

This is just incomprehensible:

xA75kIH.jpg

Whats also pretty amazing about this picture is that despite this star's insane size, our solar system is still a fair bit bigger than it.

Yeah, I love thinking about stuff like this, but it hurts my brain and makes me feel dizzy when I contemplate it too much.

I wish I could ghostify myself and teleport to places like that. It must be an incredible sight from the ground level (if in fact you can see anything)

Dr. Manhattan, baby. To walk across the surface of the sun and visit other galaxies. Holy shit.

Do scientists even know what's causing the storm? I know Jupiter is a gas giant, but does that mean it has no solid mass? Do we know why the planet's weather is so chaotic? If it has storms, does that mean it has an atmosphere?

It's pretty much all atmosphere!
Jupiter generates heat internally which drives the weather.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_(spacecraft)#Galileo_Probe

They need to do something like this again but with a camera recording the action

I wonder if it would be possible to do this, but use some sort of propeller to keep it flying in the air. Use a parachute or something to slow down the initial surge of velocity from the drop, then switch to something like a solar powered propeller set to keep it afloat while it just collected data and sent it up to an orbiting satellite.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
I don't get it. Do you actually hear this if you were to stand on the planet?

Well your clip sounds like it's from 2001 (was real audio used in 2001?) but Jupiter gives off radio waves as a part of it's crazy nature I'm pretty sure, and if you have a device to convert that to sound then yeah, WJUP is the solar systems largest planetary radio station

Edit: ^^^^ or EM waves as he said :p

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
That is why Saturn is the best. Rings and a hexagonal storm.
Saturn is the most fabulous planet.
Also kind of hipster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom