• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Name some games that get hated way too much

Swift_Star

Banned
Most of the games listed in this topic deserve the criticism and they are not really hated outside of forums.

If they were really hated, you would think that ubisoft could fix their shitty combat systems or rockstar would fix their ps1 tier mission design just to name 2 examples from this topic.
Well, if we go down that road, I don’t think any game is really hated except SW Battlefront 2 because of its controversy.

Shut0wen

Pokemon Sword/Shield: Are they the best Pokemon games ever? No, but they are still really good games (to me at least), they get too much hate , while it sucks that there is DLC, I don't really care at this point.

Kingdom Come Deliverance: Its super janky but its one of the most immersive games for me, I like the fact that you start out as a nobody and you slowly build yourself up.

Dead Space 3: It is the worst game in the series, but its still one of my favorite Co-Op experiences.

Dark Souls 2 gets a lottt of hate but I think its the 2nd best game in the series and the most replayable one.
Was about to say dark souls 2 until you mentioned it, personally i think it gets hated because its the hardest game in the series imo, doesnt let you abuse the leveling system thats in dark souls 1 and people cant hack it

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
TLOU2. I actually was reluctant to buy it because of all the hate but I finally got round to playing it recently and it's a damn masterpiece. Makes other games feel amateur and a gen behind.
Yeah. The hate is just embarrassing at this point, like I feel these haters have no idea what they're talking about anymore.

TLOU 2 is the answer for me too

Marvel14

Banned
Breath of the Wild....because the people who hate it seem to be unable to accept that many people adore it.

GTAV Online...it has soo many modes and fun things to do for no additional purchases. But some people just want a new GTA VI even if it's crap rather than a fun, expanding GTA V that works - illogical

Knack gets too much love....

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Was about to say dark souls 2 until you mentioned it, personally i think it gets hated because its the hardest game in the series imo, doesnt let you abuse the leveling system thats in dark souls 1 and people cant hack it

DS2 is the only one where you can permanently kill all enemies, though. You can brute force your way through that way instead.

I only played Scholar so I'm not qualified to judge the base game, it's easily the worst Souls but it's still a damn fine game.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Off the top of my head, Twilight Princess.

Seriously, I don't know if it was just vocal Wind Waker fans who were upset over the change in art style or if the narrative just took over that the game takes forever to get going but either way, Twilight Princess is an awesome game. People also act like the vessel of light sections are a complete slog as wolf link, it's honestly just hyperbole or people misremembering the game and relying on a hater's view of the game. Those sections take maybe 30 minutes top to complete, and the light bugs are on your map, it's not like you're running around aimlessly looking for things. They also cut the number of light bugs down in the HD version.

Most valid complaints for me are that the game is too easy, as are most 3D Zelda titles, and it has a lack of things to buy, but those issues are present in most 3D Zelda's prior to BOTW.

As a whole though, Twilight Princess is an awesome game with some of the best dungeons/atmosphere seen in any Zelda, it has an awesome OST and the game is long as hell. Definitely try to revisit it if you own a copy and haven't played it in years.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Oh, I'll throw in the weapon degradation system in BOTW rather than the whole game.

It's a "problem" for a few hours and then have more weapons than you can carry. Seriously, just pick them up. It also encourages you to try every type of weapon in the game rather than just finding the one with the highest number attached and using that until you find a bigger number. I feel people were too used to doing that and got blindsided by a really inoffensive system and didn't know how to react.

fart town usa

Gold Member
To add to the topic: Dragon's Dogma. Lots of people marked it as shit just for being a 7/10, which I guess must be because the game feels rushed and lacks content. But I don't know, the content the game actually has is the most fun I've had in a game like this. Really great gameplay and nice exploration.

That's fair. I was just really disappointed with both DS3 and DS2... Dead Space 3 and Dark Souls 2, specially the later. I mean, yeah, they are nice enough games on their own, but compared to what cane before they really fell short.

Never cared too much about Pokemon tbh.
What? People hating on DD are insane, that game is amazing. It's really ahead of its time and is still really unique. The mix of a somewhat brutal difficulty with arcade style combat is awesome.

MiguelItUp

RDR2 for sure. There was also another title that I noticed was randomly getting bashed as of late, and I wasn't really sure why. Can't recall what it was though.

I will say, as someone that recently completed Dark Souls 2, I don't think the hate it gets is deserved. However, I personally DID feel like it was the most watered down iteration in the series. Everything just felt diluted IMO. The music, the characters, the bosses (aside from froggy boi), some of the environments, etc. It all just felt like it was lacking some "umph" in the end.

Shut0wen

DS2 is the only one where you can permanently kill all enemies, though. You can brute force your way through that way instead.

I only played Scholar so I'm not qualified to judge the base game, it's easily the worst Souls but it's still

I only played Scholar so I'm not qualified to judge the base game, it's easily the worst Souls but it's still a damn fine game.
Ive played both not sure what your talking about perma death enemys, the same enemys that are perma deathed on ds2 are the same in all 3 games

fart town usa

Gold Member
Mass Effect 3, mass effect and bioware fans want you on your knees kissing Mass Effect 1 and 2's feet yes ME2 is transcendent but it seems like ME3 only gets better.
Yea, I've played through like 75% of 1&2 and put like 10 hours into the Wii U version of ME3 the other month and it's a lot of fun. The changes to how you equip armor and weapons is definitely a step back to prior ME games but I was having alot of fun with it. ME1 is still my favorite though.

Also, I still don't know the ending to ME3 so no spoilers please! lol

AV

Ive played both not sure what your talking about perma death enemys, the same enemys that are perma deathed on ds2 are the same in all 3 games

If you kill the same regular enemy - any enemy, not miniboss -enough times in DS2 it will never respawn again, It's the only DS game that does it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Also,

Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest.

AVGN got the bandwagon going on the hate for this game but it's such an awesome game and was really ahead of its time. It's obtuse as shit but my older brother and I managed to beat it when we were kids. We did rely on a Videogame Tips & Tricks VHS to get the flame whip upgrade but other than that, we somehow figured out all the weird puzzles. Tons of trial and error and using holy water on everything to find secrets and avoid invisible floors in dungeons.

It's weird too cause back in the day, a lot of people owned that game and while everyone thought it was confusing, I don't remember anyone bashing it. It was only when AVGN released that video that I started seeing people dog pile on it.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Yea, I've played through like 75% of 1&2 and put like 10 hours into the Wii U version of ME3 the other month and it's a lot of fun. The changes to how you equip armor and weapons is definitely a step back to prior ME games but I was having alot of fun with it. ME1 is still my favorite though.

Also, I still don't know the ending to ME3 so no spoilers please! lol
The game came out in 2012 buddy so the spoiler game is over lol

Powerwheel.jpg

Power wheel from ME3, you can upgrade these powers like other games. I give Bioware credit on Mass Effect's combat in allowing you to switch powers, weapons on the fly.

ME3 is a CLASSIC AND has that horror feel from Dead Space that you don't get in ME1.

Aion002

TLU2 and Max Payne 3.

Yeah, yeah... You might hate the story and the characters, but the graphics are top notch, the animations are incredible, the "levels" are awesome and the gameplay is great.

Both are amazing games gameplay wise, that gets some hate because some felt offended by the story and/or the characters.

AV

Majora's Mask. Then again, it deserves it.

Poor MM. I feel like most of the hate for MM comes from people who didn't actually beat it and didn't realise there's a song that gives you 30/50% longer to do everything and the timer really isn't that harsh at all.

brian0057

Banned
Mass Effect 3, mass effect and bioware fans want you on your knees kissing Mass Effect 1 and 2's feet yes ME2 is transcendent but it seems like ME3 only gets better.
Thermonuclear take:
Mass Effect 3 is mechanically a much better game than 2. It has better shooting and actually brought back some of the RPG elements.
It's the story that brings the game down like the Hindenburg.

Either way, the first game is the best in the series.

RE5 + 6. Amazing game mechanics, great cheesy characters and fucking Mercs. Sorry Capcpom wasn't going to make a spooky tank control survival horror after they made game of the gen in RE4.
Not a single mainline Resident Evil game has ever been anywhere near bad, they're all at least very good, and most are great. That includes "black sheep" titles like Resident Evil 0 and Resident Evil 6.

And of course RE4 is the greatest video game of all time.

VN1X

Banned
Wolfenstein Young Blood.

Played through that in its entirety in co-op with my gf and we had a blast. The shooting felt great and enemies didn't nearly felt as "spongy" as I was made to believe. I suspect half the people who played it never even bothered to check that some weapons work better against specific enemy types and therefore thought the entire game was like that. Anyway, add to that some imaginative and sprawling level design by the boys and girls from Arkane and you've got yourself one incredibly solid co-op shooter. People are poopy heads!

nkarafo

Goldeneye gets too much hate nowadays because of it's janky frame rate and "clunky controls" that "have not aged well".

But everyone is wrong about the controls because whoever says that they never tried anything except the default scheme. Otherwise the game has two different schemes that are the same as in modern shooters and can only work with the original "trident" controller. Mind blowing, right?

I agree about the frame rate but really, the worst of it's frame rate problems appear in multiplayer. Single player isn't that bad, there are far worse on all 3 consoles at the time. Plus, you can play the game with a smoother frame rate if you use an emulator with counter factor "1" (and recently, there were even some overclock options that push the game at 60fps even) so it's not like this issue can't be fixed at least...

Last edited:

AV

Goldeneye gets too much hate nowadays because of it's janky frame rate and "clunky controls" that "have not aged well".

That leaked XBLA build plays really well on an Xbox pad. Looks like we'll be getting an official release pretty soon based on the achievements leak and I'll definitely play through.

YukiOnna

I'd say Kingdom Hearts.

I think people take the story way too seriously when the developers have said they ultimately focus on the fun factor with it when it comes to the story and gameplay. You miss out on a endearing game with a Disney charm to it and some fun action RPG gameplay, but that's just me.

mcjmetroid

Twilight Princess. It's far from being hated but it's often seen as the black sheep of the Zelda series. I honestly had people saying they thought skyward sword was better and they were serious

TonyK

The Last of Us 2 metacritic users reviews. For anyone that has played the whole game, that score is a non sense.

I track all my games and future purchases through metacritic and usually I'm more aligned with user scores than press scores. Except for that game. Ok, one key character dies and Abby is not fuckable, but anything below an 8 for that game is insulting.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Pokemon Sword/Shield: Are they the best Pokemon games ever? No, but they are still really good games (to me at least), they get too much hate , while it sucks that there is DLC, I don't really care at this point.

Kingdom Come Deliverance: Its super janky but its one of the most immersive games for me, I like the fact that you start out as a nobody and you slowly build yourself up.

Dead Space 3: It is the worst game in the series, but its still one of my favorite Co-Op experiences.

Dark Souls 2 gets a lottt of hate but I think its the 2nd best game in the series and the most replayable one.
Dark Souls 2 got hate because they changed up the combat animations and personally for me, I hate that you're able to teleport right off the bat. In Dark Souls 1 you had to run everywhere until you got that chalice from the Snake-stache-denture guy. I felt like I was cheating when I first played it. It made the world feel instanced instead of continuous. Now after Dark Souls 3...I've more or less accepted it as it's been in every soulsborne game since.

Aldric

Twilight Princess. It gets covered in shit very often online while it's probably the best example of the classic Zelda formula with top notch dungeons, items and bosses. The combat system was also interesting as well as the world and even the art direction was good despite the poor technical performance. Probably the most underrated Zelda game.

Mozzarella

If you hate Kingdom Come then you are not a RPG fan, simple.

As for games that get too much hate, i dont really know much, but maybe Fallout 4? Though i dont like what Bethesda did to the Fallout franchise, we can see that Fallout 3 started it. I still enjoy both though, so dont get me wrong.
Another game could possibly be League of Legends? i dont know, but i think its a good game fundamentally, not very good but good, but its problems stem from other places.
What else? I think Cyberpunk gets a bit too much hate, some of it is deserved but some are also too much.
I think people praise games way more than hate them, most of the game that get hated are for some reason. Sometimes though the hate is not deserved compared to the flaws. But it will require me to think about all the games to give accurate answer so that will do enough for now.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Oh, I'll throw in the weapon degradation system in BOTW rather than the whole game.

It's a "problem" for a few hours and then have more weapons than you can carry. Seriously, just pick them up. It also encourages you to try every type of weapon in the game rather than just finding the one with the highest number attached and using that until you find a bigger number. I feel people were too used to doing that and got blindsided by a really inoffensive system and didn't know how to react.
It also can take dozens of hours for Link to become a tank. I feel like people who got upset over the weapon degradation were just being impatient.

Lots of encounters are best avoided for a good chuck of the early game.

I guess my point is, you can't approach BOTW like a traditional Zelda if you're brand new to the game, it's a completely different beast and for the first few hours you should be focusing on the survival mechanics and not combat. You'll get your ass handed to you with a quickness, lol.

chaseroni

My vote goes to Bioshock Infinite. A lot of weird hate on this one, I'd assume a lot of it has to do with that crowbcat video, which I don't think is very fair.
I'd take a hundred more games like it over most AAA games today. It was imaginative, had great performances by the cast, an interesting story...shit felt EXPENSIVE.

brian0057

Banned

It also can take dozens of hours for Link to become a tank. I feel like people who got upset over the weapon degradation were just being impatient.

Lots of encounters are best avoided for a good chuck of the early game.

I guess my point is, you can't approach BOTW like a traditional Zelda if you're brand new to the game, it's a completely different beast and for the first few hours you should be focusing on the survival mechanics and not combat. You'll get your ass handed to you with a quickness, lol.

Quoting for truth.
If you're playing Breath of the Wild and somehow miss the Pacific Ocean of weapons the game throws at you, you're playing the game wrong.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
My vote goes to Bioshock Infinite. A lot of weird hate on this one, I'd assume a lot of it has to do with that crowbcat video, which I don't think is very fair.
I'd take a hundred more games like it over most AAA games today. It was imaginative, had great performances by the cast, an interesting story...shit felt EXPENSIVE.
I saw my brother play that game a few times and it looked really cool to me. Whatever that thing is chases you had such an evil demented look to it.

chaseroni

I saw my brother play that game a few times and it looked really cool to me. Whatever that thing is chases you had such an evil demented look to it.
The enemy designs in the game are awesome! I'm not sure which one you're referring to tho lol

The Songbird chases you around the game
OcFwhOl.jpg

so do the Handymen
QsZvGbo.png

Then there's these fuckers
6IijStr.jpg

Top Bottom