• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Name some games that get hated way too much

The_hunter

Days Gone. Everyone that tries it, especially on PS5 loves it. Well most
I do like the game, the story is great, the bike riding is also amazing. I have two gripes, the first is that the enemies feel like bullet sponges, at least on the hard difficulty, it takes 4 shots from a sawed off shotgun to kill a human. The second is that the world is completely
empty outside of the missions, all the houses and buildings have barely anything to loot.

Final Fantasy Stranger in Paradise, persistent overaction to a trailer.

Death Stranding, a GOAT candidate but reactions made out to be Kojima's Devil's Third.

Destiny, it's the biggest FPS world that is still going in. probably my most played game in 3 decades of gaming. did get burnt out, but it was after 6 years and thousands of hours.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. for me it was a deep adventure game(old point and click) with action. Something I always dreamed of playing. It just needed a bit more creativity to pull everything together. CDPR tried to fulfil the potential of this franchise with Cyberpunk before their technical failure.
Death strading had such a great story, also the game-play was really innovative. I think people didn't like it becouse it wasn't an action game, or maybe they were new to games and don't really see how fresh the gameplay systems were. Id take a game like death stranding any day over another third person game with a bow and bandit camps to clear out.

Recency bias, but:

Crackdown 3
If you read anything about it you'd think it was an unplayable mess, but really it's a solid fun game and much better than Crackdown 2.

Honorable mentions:
Fable 3
Super Mario Sunshine
Quantum Break
Death Stranding
Twelve Minutes
Agree with this 100%. As far as scope and ambition go, it doesn't hold a candle to something like Spiderman PS4. But as for sheer fun, it was one of my favorite games of last gen.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Devil's Third.

It's by no means a brilliant game but it plays fine and is entertaining. It's just a big dumb action game that feels like the movie Commando.

People just love to dog pile stuff to death these days and with Devil's Third it's easy to do so cause it feels/plays/looks like a PS2 game.

video is cued up to a scene that captures the games tone. It's pretty great.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Probably going to get my head bitten off for sticking my neck out here, but the game that I think got the most undeserved hate was Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts.

Hell, even I hated it when it was first shown off. How hard is it just to make another excellent Banjo game that followed the traditional formula? I thought. Then, being a jackass teenager, I downloaded the demo mostly to make fun it, and then... ....it became one of my favorite games of the generation. Oops! I know it has a different structure than the originals, but it's honestly a worthy sequel. It kept the same wacky characters and irreverent spirit, and there's just something about looking at a problem and trying to come up with the wackiest functional vehicle to solve it that really appeals to me. It's a bit like a videogame version of Taskmaster.

Anyway, since then I've tried to be more openminded about games I haven't actually played, especially those put a new twist on a familiar series. I'll still voice my reservations in discussion threads, but more often than not, unless it's something I'm opposed to on principle, I'll give it a shot.

Cryio

Prince of Persia Warrior Within
Prince of Persia 2008
Far Cry 2
Assassin's Creed 3
The Witcher 1
Splinter Cell Double Agent (7th gen version)
Doom 3
Wolfenstein 2009
Quake 4
Crysis 1
Bioshock 2
Dead Space 3
Batman Arkham Origins
DmC: Devil May Cry
Deux Ex: Mankind Divided
Dark Souls 2
Quantum Break

CZY

Came to name this one. I went into it with all the negativity surrounding the game in my head, and left it finished after 26 hours or so very satisfied with the experience. Yes there's a lot of PC stuff in there, but I thought it wasn't nearly as annoying as some commentators claimed it was. The game shows production value at the highest level possible for a video game. Incredible achievement on so many levels.
On my reading of things, it’s not even LGBTQPC stuff, is that not a single character is relatable or likable. Which characters did you like? What beyond the gameplay is good?

“Gameplay is all that matters” stops being coherent when the game is story- and character-driven.

Ceadeus

Devil's Third.

It's by no means a brilliant game but it plays fine and is entertaining. It's just a big dumb action game that feels like the movie Commando.

People just love to dog pile stuff to death these days and with Devil's Third it's easy to do so cause it feels/plays/looks like a PS2 game.

Dude I swear, I came to post this!

nemiroff

Gold Member
Observing "hate" here is not exactly an objective quantifiable thing. It's often a notion we get from the noise generated from a vocal minority. It's also often about a single issue, like f.ex. TLoU2 where the "hate" was about politics, not gameplay per se. In the case of Bioshock Infinite it got praise all over with top score among both critics and users. But yeah; I remember the strong negative feedback it got from some people.

Deerock71

unUJ6Nf.jpg

It's alright. It has many flaws but it's far from being an awful game. With a few tweaks it could've been great.
Ehhh. I bought it on the Cube, and I hit the metaphorical wall when I started shooting giant frogs.

On my reading of things, it’s not even LGBTQPC stuff, is that not a single character is relatable or likable. Which characters did you like? What beyond the gameplay is good?

“Gameplay is all that matters” stops being coherent when the game is story- and character-driven.
Agreed. The characters aren't likeable, yet I liked a lot how they were written. I found the sound and music was outstanding, as well as the graphics and level design. The animations are on another level compared to most other games. They also nailed it with the atmosphere imho. I can't argue with critics saying that the gameplay loop becomes somewhat stale after a short period of time, but as you've said this particular title isn't so much about the moment to moment gameplay like a Souls game.

Reactions: CZY

Deerock71

Devil's Third.

Absolutamente. Anybody that doesn't like this game has simply never played it. I was actually responsible for two sales, myself. When I heard that there were only 420 (is that correct?) copies originally gone gold, I kept that sucker sealed and bought a digital copy. The sniper rifle had a hilarious effect on heads; picture your bloodstream as Coca Cola, and a sniper bullet to the head as a Mentos dropped down your neck, and you're starting to get the picture.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Skyrim

Let's see some other devs make a game of that scope with no bugs where you can interact with every single object.

Waiting GIF
Man, I've been playing it on PSVR the last few weeks, essentially the first time ever playing it. It's so much fun.

I bought it at launch on the PS3 and literally only played like an hour. I don't really like massive open-world games but in VR it's just damn fun. Love exploring caves and stuff.

Bankai

Duke Nukem Forever.

Also, I really loved Vampyr. Wasn’t really hated, but under appreciated for sure.

ButchCat

My vote goes to Bioshock Infinite. A lot of weird hate on this one, I'd assume a lot of it has to do with that crowbcat video, which I don't think is very fair.
I'd take a hundred more games like it over most AAA games today. It was imaginative, had great performances by the cast, an interesting story...shit felt EXPENSIVE.
It's a very good game but a flawed one that pales in comparison to the great first game. The first had its fair share of issues and alienated itself from the genre by looking like an immersive sim but not really being one but at least it had a few systems in place and it handled its limitations well enough, Bioshock infinite on the other hand is just a story-driven action shooter that is poor on the action.

Deathloop

Last edited:

CZY

Agreed. The characters aren't likeable, yet I liked a lot how they were written. I found the sound and music was outstanding, as well as the graphics and level design. The animations are on another level compared to most other games. They also nailed it with the atmosphere imho. I can't argue with critics saying that the gameplay loop becomes somewhat stale after a short period of time, but as you've said this particular title isn't so much about the moment to moment gameplay like a Souls game.
Right on, yeah I ask because I agree with everything you’ve said here too *except* that I wasn’t able to play it through because of how much I hated everyone. Like it’s really weird to me how unlikable everyone is, and it seems intentional. I stopped playing because of it.

I’m reminded of a book called Choke where the opening is literally the speaker telling you to go away. I did. I stopped reading. I’m spiteful and petty like that. TLOU2 is the same way for me. It tells me to hate it so I do.

Top Bottom