• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Name some games that get hated way too much

The enemy designs in the game are awesome! I'm not sure which one you're referring to tho lol

The Songbird chases you around the game
OcFwhOl.jpg

so do the Handymen
QsZvGbo.png

Then there's these fuckers
6IijStr.jpg
Only regret there is that

Songbird is not a boss proper.

Also a minor amount of the hate towards BioShock Infinite *IS* warranted. It's a great game, but from a gameplay perspective it's a massive downgrade from BioShock 2.

K2D

Banned
But Final Fantasy 13 was, in fact, trash. I'm with you on FF8 though. One of my favorites.
My strategy for XIII is to watch someone's stream and hopefully I'll be encouraged to try out the sequel. Which gets praised like no other.

YukiOnna

My vote goes to Bioshock Infinite. A lot of weird hate on this one, I'd assume a lot of it has to do with that crowbcat video, which I don't think is very fair.
I'd take a hundred more games like it over most AAA games today. It was imaginative, had great performances by the cast, an interesting story...shit felt EXPENSIVE.
Agreed. I also found Infinites story to be a lot better than 1's but thats just a preference. Columbia also was just as good a setting as Rapture.

Batiman

Banned
The Outer Worlds: Yes this isn't a big triple A rpg but I'm still having fun playing it, there's some genuinely good writing and good quests sprinkled throughout the game. Having this on gamepass is also a huge plus I wouldn't pay full price for this game but if u can get it for cheap and like space rpgs it's worth a try.
This game gets hate?

How is persecution complex if every single KH thread is filled with vitriol? And nowadays you don’t need to buy handhelds, the whole series is available on one single package usually for less than $30 on sales.

It does deserve at least some criticism for being corny.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
My strategy for XIII is to watch someone's stream and hopefully I'll be encouraged to try out the sequel. Which gets praised like no other.
I tried to do it again when it was on GamePass. Couldn't bare it past the first city. The story is not bad. It's the linearity that kills me

Batiman

Banned
Ryse was a fun launch game. I know it’s not great but it was a perfect game to blow your mind graphically starting a new gen. The story was actually pretty good too besides being generic. It impressed me more than shadowfall at the time too. I wouldn’t mind a sequel.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Agreed on Dead Space 3, it's not a good Dead Space sequel but it's a really fun coop shooter
My problem is I'm not in to MP or co-op and what I wanted out of Dead Space 3 was proper survival horror like previous two games, especially at that time when good 3rd person survival horror was rare.

But thats not enough for me to hate the game, what really made me HATE this game was turning Issac in to jealous ex boyfriend and forcing that stupid ass love triangle.......why?

Shifty1897

Maybe people had just hyped themselves too much.
It was three things for Cyberpunk. One, the hype train got away from it, two, marketing sold it as a next-gen GTA instead of an open world RPG, third, the dev team stretched themselves too thin by trying to release 6 versions of the game at once.

But, as others have said, if you played it on PC, you generally had a pretty good experience.

YukiOnna

My problem is I'm not in to MP or co-op and what I wanted out of Dead Space 3 was proper survival horror like previous two games, especially at that time when good 3rd person survival horror was rare.

But thats not enough for me to hate the game, what really made me HATE this game was turning Issac in to jealous ex boyfriend and forcing that stupid ass love triangle.......why?
They really fucked the formula after 2 felt like a perfect balance of action TPS and survival horror. The new environment also just wasn't as good as DS1 and 2 after nailing the art direction.

isoRhythm

Banned
Mirror's Edge Catalyst always comes to mind.
The time dashes made me really mad and the plat is annoying as hell but the overall atmosphere and free climbing is so satisfying (+graphics that look good and will age well). They really should not have added that hand rope caster thingy.

Bridges

Recency bias, but:

Crackdown 3
If you read anything about it you'd think it was an unplayable mess, but really it's a solid fun game and much better than Crackdown 2.

Honorable mentions:
Fable 3
Super Mario Sunshine
Quantum Break
Death Stranding
Twelve Minutes

R6Rider

Gold Member
Doom3box.jpg

"B.B.b.b.b.but it's too dark!"
"Then play it properly - with the lights out."

Still one of the most immersive gaming experiences, and it did well in mimicking System Shock's audio log storytelling style.
I recently got this for PSVR and heard it's really good with the AIM controller especially. I played the original, but only a few times.

killatopak

Gold Member
FF13

Was it a good Final Fantasy? Arguably no.

I just think the hype made them hate the game too much. Just like Cyberpunk. Too much hype that leads to disappointment amplifies the hate.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Yoshi’s New Island. I mean, someone in here actually opened a thread asking Nintendo to patch the music in the game. It’s a solid, legit Yoshi game and in hindsight, arguably the best YI sequel pound for pound. The music is fine, too.

Paper Mario Sticker Star. I mean, someone in here actually opened a thread and wrote a wall of text blabbering about how the game is a 1/10. I had tons of fun with that game, so much that I restarted it as soon as I finished it.

Final Fantasy 8. It wasn’t 7, yeah. First few hours were grating for me, too. In the end, I loved it.

Spaceman292

Banned
My vote goes to Bioshock Infinite. A lot of weird hate on this one, I'd assume a lot of it has to do with that crowbcat video, which I don't think is very fair.
I'd take a hundred more games like it over most AAA games today. It was imaginative, had great performances by the cast, an interesting story...shit felt EXPENSIVE.
I love crowbcat videos but people need to stop taking them so seriously. It's a cherrypicked montage of the absolute worst things about a game.

Except with Mass Effect Andromeda which is pretty accurate

K2D

Banned
FF13

Was it a good Final Fantasy? Arguably no.

I just think the hype made them hate the game too much. Just like Cyberpunk. Too much hype that leads to disappointment amplifies the hate.
It's an unfathomable fall from grace - not only was it worse than a lot of main titles before it.. it was worse than a lot of non-FF contemporaries. To me it was unenjoyable in all the ways important to me. It might get better ~10 or so hours in, but it wasn't worth my time.

Honestly, because of XII (12) which had some of the same problems for me, there was nearly no hype for 13 for me.

I really don't subscribe to the dogpiling explaination for this game's reception.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Metal Gear Survive. It was actually really fun exploring that map with that giant weird monster from The Mist. People never gave it a chance because it wasn't by Kojima and it's cool to hate Konami.

marjo

Games that are hated for their social/political stance as opposed to the actual gameplay.

Two examples:

Over on 'the other site', Bioshock Infinite is hated because it dared to represent the black revolutionaries as less than perfect and easily corruptible once they got into power.

Here, The Last of Us 2 is hated because it dares to represent empowered females who don't give a rats ass about conforming to societies views on being feminine.

I don't mind if people take issue with the gameplay, but when people trash them because they don't fit into their narrow views on acceptable ideology, then their criticism is meaningless.

Umbasaborne

Banned
TLOU2. I actually was reluctant to buy it because of all the hate but I finally got round to playing it recently and it's a damn masterpiece. Makes other games feel amateur and a gen behind.
Last of us 2 was always amazing, its just pulerizing to people because it somehow got caught in the middle of a right vs left culture war

captainpat

TLOU2 and Cyberpunk are examples why I still trust in game reviews more than what the enthusiast crowd says. Too many people get caught up in hype or deadset on what they think a game should be. Everything's either amazeballs or shits

Azurro

Banned
TLoU2. I swear the hatred is some inside joke I'm not in on because this game is mind-bogglingly good. I legit don't understand how you can't be blown away by it. It's significantly better than the first game at literally everything.

Except the plot and characters in a narrative driven game. It gets suitable amount of hate imo, it has its ardent woke defenders as well. It reviewed well because it's a woke LGBT game as well.

Last edited:

dbilyliker

Death Stranding.

I can see why it isn't for most 'gamers', but it is an original gameplay idea in a cool setting. It somehow felt really refreshing playing it.
I like it too
I thought it was a bad game at first because of other people's reviews, but after I finished I found it was good

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: K2D

iHaunter

TLoU2. I swear the hatred is some inside joke I'm not in on because this game is mind-bogglingly good. I legit don't understand how you can't be blown away by it. It's significantly better than the first game at literally everything.
This is my choice as well. Even if you don't like the story, the game as it is, is a master piece.

Avengers
Zombi U
Devils Third
Anthem
Fortnite

they are all fun

Anthem was an empty, unfinished, POS. I don't think there's any debate on that one. It's simply a demo. I got it cheap and thought it was fun, but SUPER hollow.

Last edited:
The order 1886. I loved this game, the art direction, the setting/story, the graphics, gameplay. The only complaint i have were the forced walking sequences. I felt the length was fine. Too bad we'll never get a proper sequel. Days gone is another one i dont understand all the hate for.
The order 1886. Replaying now for first time since release and loving this game. I liked it first time through and remember decent amount of people giving it shit.

Story and gameplay are really good so far.
Came here to post this, The Order 1886 is one of the most underrated games ever made, it genuinely leaves me scratching my head that it got THAT much hate and it pisses me off because it sank what should have been the start of a new franchise.

I still like to hold out some hope that maybe it will get a sequel, but does Ready At Dawn getting bought by Facebook pretty much mean that's never going to happen? So fucking unfair.

unUJ6Nf.jpg

It's alright. It has many flaws but it's far from being an awful game. With a few tweaks it could've been great.
RE0 is actually my second favorite in the series behind REmake, whatever flaws it has are mild and made up for by the fact that it's one of the best looking games ever made and just overall oozes wonderful atmosphere, wish we had gotten a third game in that REmake/RE0 graphical style.

Codes 208

R.615ec5879576863f4e673f8351ef27a5

DBZ Burst Limit. If you take out the partner help system it played like a more streamlined budokai 3 (without the time-consuming rush/ultimate rng bs) and the art style was superior to the rest of the ps360 era dbz games

Last edited:
Came to name this one. I went into it with all the negativity surrounding the game in my head, and left it finished after 26 hours or so very satisfied with the experience. Yes there's a lot of PC stuff in there, but I thought it wasn't nearly as annoying as some commentators claimed it was. The game shows production value at the highest level possible for a video game. Incredible achievement on so many levels.

Allforce

Call of Duty / Warzone.

Like I get it, these games have been around for decades and it's ultimately "shooting mans" and if that's not your thing that's not your thing. But they still deliver some of the tightest gameplay and satisfying gun mechanics to me of any shooter.

And with Warzone, I play but not nearly as often as I used to but I STILL TO THIS DAY see things happen any time I play that I've never seen before. The moment to moment chaos and hilarity that organically comes out of a Warzone match is hard to match by any other game. You could spend hours just watching "Top Warzone Moments" on YouTube and see shit you never even thought could happen, and there's dozens of channels devoted to posting clips every single day.

Top Bottom