• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Name some games that get hated way too much

ParaSeoul

91dYD60qysL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Destiny. Most people still hate it based on the D1 release.
It survived many "destiny killers" and it's still going strong. Best fps coop in the market.

Azurro

Banned
Sounds like delusion, mate. Both main characters were multiple orders of magnitude more interesting than Joel. 🤷‍♂️

Oh please tell me how fantasy hulk testosterone "lady" that had an oppressed trans friend as companion and edgy lesbian that acts like a man Ellie with her bigot sandwiches are such great characters that totally make up for the ridiculous assassination of Joel's character in this game.

Come on, it's an lgbt game and that's why you like it. There's no merit to it, just "mah representation1!!!!". I'm surprised you have such a high opinion of the game, do you also have blue hair and are confused sexually?

Last edited:

Beechos

Came here to post this, The Order 1886 is one of the most underrated games ever made, it genuinely leaves me scratching my head that it got THAT much hate and it pisses me off because it sank what should have been the start of a new franchise.

I still like to hold out some hope that maybe it will get a sequel, but does Ready At Dawn getting bought by Facebook pretty much mean that's never going to happen? So fucking unfair.

RE0 is actually my second favorite in the series behind REmake, whatever flaws it has are mild and made up for by the fact that it's one of the best looking games ever made and just overall oozes wonderful atmosphere, wish we had gotten a third game in that REmake/RE0 graphical style.
I think sony owns the i.p. and the recently renewed it so they can have another development studio make a sequel. Like you said facebook bought rad so any sequel to me wouldnt feel the same. That doesny mean whoever develops it wont do a good or better job though. This game interests me much more that gears of war at this point.

makaveli60

I enjoyed DmC Devil May Cry the most in the series and although I’m not a hardcore DMC player I feel it got a lot of undeserved hate.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Returnal
- Blamed it for being not worth the money (game not released when this was raised so how do they know?)
- game is too long to have to finish a run (why buy a game that is explained it is one long run? Later fixed and people now saying they try to cheese the saving to progress so it had nothing really to do with long runs)
- why do I want to play as a grandmother? & she's a bit too ugly for me. (You want to fuck a character? Seek help)

Returnal got so many bullshit negative comments that didn't relate to the actual great gameplay and well thought out story. Even here there is still a thread going about how Selene is so ugly, a sniper wouldn't even take her out. Returnal came out in April 2021 and people are still complaining about looks. Housemarque you are an incredible games developer and I hope others on the fence give this game a chance.

AmuroChan

Chrono Cross - Yes, it's not Chrono Trigger 2, but IMO it's a great game in its own right. Also, the soundtrack is incredible.

Watch Dogs Legion - I came into this game late because I've heard mostly negative things about it, but I actually ended up having lots of fun with this game.

buenoblue

Every game! For me growing up on Atari 2600 and master system games every game released nowadays is a technological masterpiece! Am I interested in every game? No. Bit I'm interested in the medium having choice for every gamer. Bring on the love for All games!!!

drganon

Caligula effect.
I know the vita version wasn't great but the ps4 version with added content was really good.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Shenmue.

I never understood the hate. I remember back in 1999 when I first got the game, I showed it to my sister. And then at the scene in the beginning with the cat and the little girl, my sister started screaming at the top of her lungs. Like "ahhhhhhhhhh!!!".

The game was so boring and frustrating to her. I never got it because to me it was perfect.

Ultra Donny

A lot of first party exclusive, often with good review scores seems to trigger a need to explain to the rest of the world how bad they really are.

Ezekiel_

Banned
Lost Planet 3 : I really liked this game. I found the blue collared main character and the world building was good. Great graphics, voice acting (Troy Baker) and gameplay (mech travel sal and fights) too. I understand that the game is less fast paced than 1 and 2, but was still very good.

TLOU2 : The story elements can be a bit hit or miss for some, but everything else is a step above the first one and basically a masterpiece. Some set piece moments had my heartrate going and once I started playing, it was hard to put down the controller.

Fredrik

Rise of the Tomb Raider - I’m guessing people originally hated on it because Xbox had a timed exclusivity, and later because they haven’t played through them back to back, I replayed them all awhile back and Rise is by far the best in the new trilogy.

Cyberpunk 2077 - It’s a great game with among the best and most immersive story telling the industry has seen. Play it on PC, crank up the visuals, add some mods and enjoy.

The Ascent - It’s simply awesome. The 68 Metascore is among the most flawed scores ever. There is nothing more to add really.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Resident Evil 0. Last classic fixed angle, tank control title in the series. Item management is much more convenient if you know you need the hookshot. Story is bonkers, but it always is.

Resident Evil: Code Veronica/X. It's brutal, it's unforgiving, it's legit Survival Horror. Good shit. Story is bonkers. See RE0.

Resident Evil 6. Game is fun as hell, long as shit, and has some of the best TPS mechanics I've ever seen.

Final Fantasy XIII. Tight ass combat system with a lot of nuance hidden under the hood. Almost every fight feels like a boss encounter. Great music. Graphics hold up even today. Story isn't nearly as confusing as people make it out to be.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII. Great game. Pseudo open world. Evolved but engaging version of XIII's battle system. Incredible level of fanservice, not just for XIII but for the entire series. Examples include The Warrior of Light from FFI being featured on the Coliseum posters, the bards that play Eternal Wind from Final Fantasy III. All the garbs that reference FF titles from I-XIV. Good shit.

Final Fantasy Type-0. Really, awesome story about war and the cost of blindly following orders from a "higher power,". Bit confusing, bit janky, but lots of good music, lots of good callbacks, and a lot of customization and ways to get stronger without grinding solely.

Oh please tell me how fantasy hulk testosterone "lady" that had an oppressed trans friend as companion and edgy lesbian that acts like a man Ellie with her bigot sandwiches are such great characters that totally make up for the ridiculous assassination of Joel's character in this game.

Come on, it's an lgbt game and that's why you like it. There's no merit to it, just "mah representation1!!!!". I'm surprised you have such a high opinion of the game, do you also have blue hair and are confused sexually?
Honestly I think this applies both ways. Some people hate the game JUST because it's LGBT, while others only like it JUST for that reason. Truth is that doesn't matter, the game sucks eitherway, end of argument.

Gaming is a hivemind so there are definitely lots of games that I think get way too much hate or way too much love, but I'd say the most is Mass Effect 3 or Mass Effect Andromeda. Until like the last half of the last mission I was enjoying Mass Effect 3 more than I even enjoyed 2, yeah the ending sucked but people need to learn to not just overreact to the ending of things, the dozens of hours of enjoyment don't disappear just because the last 30 minutes were bad. It's like how people talk about Game of Thrones now like it was a terrible show just because they didn't like the last season. As for Andromeda, I thought it was a really good game, the biggest issue being that it wasn't as good as the original trilogy, which is an insane expectation

😂

nush

Gold Member
Shenmue.

I never understood the hate. I remember back in 1999 when I first got the game, I showed it to my sister. And then at the scene in the beginning with the cat and the little girl, my sister started screaming at the top of her lungs. Like "ahhhhhhhhhh!!!".

The game was so boring and frustrating to her. I never got it because to me it was perfect.

It was a game that played at a real world pace, you can just chill with it and take your time. Most other games are rush rush in your face keep busy. It subverted the expectation of a console videogame.

JLB

Banned
Crackdown 3. MP was disappointing in the end, but the SP was really fun, and the City was really well made with great verticality.
maybe i should give it a second try, but played it 10 mins and looked like complete shit.

JLB

Banned
The order 1886. I loved this game, the art direction, the setting/story, the graphics, gameplay. The only complaint i have were the forced walking sequences. I felt the length was fine. Too bad we'll never get a proper sequel. Days gone is another one i dont understand all the hate for.
the finale of 1886 is a complete travesty though.

Kokoloko85

Dark Souls 2 gets a lottt of hate but I think its the 2nd best game in the series and the most replayable one.
Nah. It totally missed that special miyazaki sauce. Even playing Sekiro you could tell its a Miyazaki game.

As soon as I rolled, walked around and spoke to an NPC in Dark Souls 2 I knew it was the same as Dark Souls, Demon Souls and Bloodborne

Cryio

Splinter Cell Double Agent
Prince of Persia Warrior Within
Dark Souls 2
Dead Space 3
DmC: Devil May Cry
Bioshock 2
Assassin's Creed III
Far Cry 2

All of these games are brilliant, close to masterpieces even (with some very minor flaws, but what game doesn't)

Tschumi

Myyekmyekmyek TLOU2.. back in the day there was ample backing on this forum for everyone who said "ah, it involves homosexuality, and a muscular woman, it's a complete write-off, shit game."

These days more nuanced putdowns are hopefully required.

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I can't think of any game I love that receives a large concerted amount of hate. I think it's because a lot of what I love isn't on the top mainstream. And due to preferences, everyone is going to have different tastes.

I tend to be the one disliking games that get decent praise; usually games where they went all out on graphics but left little for actual deep mechanics and/or challenge.

OuterLimits

Elder Scrolls Oblivion. Yes, the level up system is kind of bonkers, but the guilds and side quests have far more interesting plots than Skyrim. It's not even close.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Mass Effect Andromeda. Not a great game by any means, but not as bad as other had made it out to be. When it was fun it was very fun.

Final Fantasy X-2 : If people look past the Charlie's Angels atmosphere, they will find a great battle system, some great musical pieces and I also think the story is very worth experimenting if you like FFX

Dark Souls 2
Dead Space 3
Bioshock 2
Assassin's Creed III
Far Cry 2

All of these games are brilliant, close to masterpieces even (with some very minor flaws, but what game doesn't)
Original Xbox version of Splinter Cell Double Agent is really good.

Tschumi

Okay, more thoughtful than my previous post.

Deus Ex: Invisible War. In many ways it was the sequel fans wanted: globe trotting, aliens, multiple paths through a level, very long... Interestingly the graphics got better the further you got into the game, i thought.. some good technology behind it.. small levels to work on xbox, so too Fable, Deadly Shadows... many good looking games of that time suffered the same fate...

Pillars of Eternity 2... I can't fucking stand how people write off an epic like this because of poor optimisation for consoles and an OPTIONAL ship to ship battle system that i have never once played in my hundreds of hours in this game.

GT6. I dunno, for me this is the best car racing game i ever played. A few cosmetic issues.. released for ps3 after ps4 launch, long loading times, no multiplayer (i don't care), fine, but those are skin deep and the racing, cards, graphics, it was all fantastic. I can't wait for GT7, I want to roar around Bathurst in the evening in my F1.

Dungeon Siege. I have no godly idea why this isn't considered, alongside Diablo, as an elemental progenitor to Action RPGs. A different, more story driven and linear experience; carefully tailored, seamless, long as one could hope until it ended... Just legendary.

Vaelka

I'd agree with Dark Souls 2, it's not as good as the others but it's still a good game.
It's also not the original devs so I am more forgiving towards it I view it as a spin-off of sorts.

Other than that I'd say the Dead or Alive games.
They're actually good fighting games main flaw with them is a problem most fighting games have/ have had which is the netcode.
A lot of the hate and negative attitudes really feel like it's just a bandwagon and circlejerk thing, and people basically turned the game into a meme because of an unlockable thing you quite literally had to go out of your way to get ( the OMG breast physics ) and the volleyboll spin-off which isn't even the same game.
DoA5 actually had an almost 50/50 roster of male and female characters and the game was full of skimpy outfits for male characters too including literal stripper outfits and speedos.
But all people ever focused on was the female characters and talked shit about it ( yes there's more of it, but it's actually more equal than most games and you have all kinds of options for both genders ).

The thing that kinda baffles and annoys me too about it is that there are a lot of fighting games that have way more sexualized default costumes than in any DoA games and yet DoA is the one that turned into a meme and people basically just dismiss as the '' fanservice fighter ''.
KoF and Street Fighter characters have way skimpier default outfits, the outfits in DoA are overall not even that skimpy it's all optional stuff and those games also have it too.
It also never stopped Mortal Kombat, MK9 was still very popular and so were the past games.

It's kinda sad and childish imo that people basically allowed an optional physics mode that was basically there for fun to derail the entire franchise.
It's not even uncommon for fighting games to begin with either they're full of half-naked men and women.

TLOU2. I actually was reluctant to buy it because of all the hate but I finally got round to playing it recently and it's a damn masterpiece. Makes other games feel amateur and a gen behind.

I do think it deserves a lot of the hate, there was some really shitty marketing too ( Joel in scenes he's not even in ) that obviously was going to anger people.
But I'd agree it doesn't deserve as much hate as it gets.
It's kinda the problem with hype tho and underdelivering.
Same with Dark Souls 2 it's not as horrible as people say but it had a lot to live up to.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Okay, more thoughtful than my previous post.

Deus Ex: Invisible War. In many ways it was the sequel fans wanted: globe trotting, aliens, multiple paths through a level, very long... Interestingly the graphics got better the further you got into the game, i thought.. some good technology behind it.. small levels to work on xbox, so too Fable, Deadly Shadows... many good looking games of that time suffered the same fate...

One of the most interesting things about that game was a side mission where you could give this business owner the worst day of all time:
  • Sabotage his business
  • Get him in trouble with the authorities
  • Kill his wife
  • Kill his kids (!)
  • Kill him, if you wanted to.
It was crazy to see that level of viciousness/freedom in a game. I don’t think it’s as good as the original Deus Ex, largely because of the stupid universal ammo and obnoxious loading, but it was still a good game.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Final Fantasy X-2 : If people look past the Charlie's Angels atmosphere, they will find a great battle system, some great musical pieces and I also think the story is very worth experimenting if you like FFX

Yes. X-2 is the poster child for this thread.

Amiga

Final Fantasy Stranger in Paradise, persistent overaction to a trailer.

Death Stranding, a GOAT candidate but reactions made out to be Kojima's Devil's Third.

Destiny, it's the biggest FPS world that is still going in. probably my most played game in 3 decades of gaming. did get burnt out, but it was after 6 years and thousands of hours.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. for me it was a deep adventure game(old point and click) with action. Something I always dreamed of playing. It just needed a bit more creativity to pull everything together. CDPR tried to fulfil the potential of this franchise with Cyberpunk before their technical failure.

The_hunter

Dark Souls 2
Dead Space 3
Bioshock 2
Assassin's Creed III
Far Cry 2

AC3 was good, the deep snow was so cool, and the tree parkour. They re-did all the animations. The tomahawk was so satisfying to use. The story in the beginning was freaking great, but it becomes a beat weak near the ending. I enjoyed playing as a templar, the native main character, and the showdown between the assassin and the templar father. My favourite ac games are 2 and then 3.

Top Bottom