• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My cat just jumped off from 10th floor :(

Mossybrew

That's a good name for a cat. Too bad it has suicidal tendencies! No more Balcony Time for Mochi!

Last edited:
Poor cat. Why are cats being held in crammed city apartments in the first place? It's basically a prison. I would jump off the building too...

It really makes me sad to see these indoor city cats while my 2 female cats can go explore outside as they please, hunt mice in meadows etc.

What a douche.

Why did he do it?

Because you touch yourself at night.

Anyway OP, wishing all the best to you and your furball. I was never a cat person until I rescued a stray that has some health problems and I know how emotionally invested I get in his health. I can only imagine what you are going through but cats are resilient animals and I'm sure he will pull through.

My cat had to have hip surgery where they removed the ball on his femur where it attaches to the hip. I figured he would be limping for the rest of his life but its crazy how much he has returned to normal.

Methos#1975

Poor cat. Why are cats being held in crammed city apartments in the first place? It's basically a prison. I would jump off the building too...

It really makes me sad to see these indoor city cats while my 2 female cats can go explore outside as they please, hunt mice in meadows etc.
Get poisoned, beaten to death by shitty kids, ran over, killed and eaten by coyotes and foxes, etc. That's what happens to outdoor cats where I live. Anyone that let's their pets roam outdoors shouldn't be allowed to have them imo.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Poor cat. Why are cats being held in crammed city apartments in the first place? It's basically a prison.
We have had two cats that were born inside before we adopted them and never left the house until we started to teach them to go into the garden; real Housecats. Yes, they like to watch out of the windows, but once they are out of the kitten age will always be scared of the outside world at first and not willingly leave the safety of the house unless taught to do so.
So it is untrue that they feel like captives.

Buggy Loop

Why did he do it?

Cats and all animals I guess probably have the human equivalent of the « call of the void », with a bit less restraint in critical thinking to not fucking jump lol, although I’m sure humans do jump from this feeling, we just put in the « suicide » label on the event, as who can really say? Some peoples who jump had a total absence of sadness/depression prior to their move.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Not sure which of these 2 comments I’m more turned off by.
0WDyD47.jpg

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Idiotic take. A person who lives 24/7 inside scared, shielded from everyday danger will live longer on average. It's not about who lives longer. It's about who feels happier. City cats are basically held in Truman show.

Cats =/= people

IT'S WHO LIVES HAPPIEST OVER LONGEST

Going with your worldview about cats being people, I'd say I'd be much happier not having to claw at a door and yell everytime I wanted shelter from the rain. Or happier not having insects give me Lyme disease and bacteria populating my poop with worms. Or you know, I'd rather be euthanized than eaten by coyotes or dragged underneath the wheel of a truck until I'm smeared on the road like a furry red crayon.

JUST MY TEN CENTS, being a lifelong owner of multiple cats. Mine have never an heroed from being inside too much. The worst thing that happens is they get a touch bored and start knocking shit over. Easily remedied by playing with them for awhile.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Idiotic take. A person who lives 24/7 inside scared, shielded from everyday danger will live longer on average. It's not about who lives longer. It's about who feels happier. City cats are basically held in Truman show.

I can't tell if you are just a massive cunt, an idiot, or both. You seriously go into a thread to blame the owner? After nearly losing their family member? Really?

KiNeMz

Banned
Wow. oP. I can into this thread hoping for some good news for you and your olmate. But instead there is some people with nasty views.

Don't come back here to read this stuff.

I hope your ol mate pulls through and the next time I'm in this thread it's good news from you.

nkarafo

I mean, size wise, a cat jumping from the 10th floor would be the equivalent of a human jumping from a skyscraper.

Imagine jumping from a skyscraper, not dying on impact and having a chance to go through it with relatively mild injuries.

Yeah, cats are tough.

INC

I mean, size wise, a cat jumping from the 10th floor would be the equivalent of a human jumping from a skyscraper.

Imagine jumping from a skyscraper, not dying on impact and having a chance to go through it with relatively mild injuries.

Yeah, cats are tough.

Not really, cats are naturally gifted at falling and taking impact to land

Humans are not, we don't have backwards knees for a start, to absorb shock and impact off a landing

nkarafo

Not really, cats are naturally gifted at falling and taking impact to land

Humans are not, we don't have backwards knees for a start, to absorb shock and impact off a landing
Yeah i know, but it's still impressive for a terrestrial mammal to be able to survive such fall.

bati

Mass also plays a role. My dog jumped off a 3rd story balcony when he was a pup (about 10 months at the time I think), landed on grass on his side and got away with it with minor bruising and labored breathing for 2 days. I wasn't there when it happened but I still flipped the fuck out, I love him to bits and pretty much spent the next 72 hours watching him if he's still breathing, especially when he slept. And that was after x-rays and ultrasound confirmed nothing broken and no internal bleeding.

I know I can throw one at least 37m, if swung round my head

Still land feet first as well, amazing
acchtually...false.

cats are better falling vertically than horizontally. swing a cat over your head it'll have waaay less time to react. drop a cat from a large height it'll land the fuck out of it.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
My cat just jumped off the balcony from 10th floor. He's in the vet now, inside a breathing chamber. Condition is no external injuries, but some blood on the table and heavy breathing. He was also limping on the back foot. What is the odd of survival :(

I have already accepted the worst case but just wanted to talk about it with you guys :(

update :
Doc just called after screening , she said his condition already stabilized for now . There's a small air bubble in the lung that might be a little concerning , and some fracture on the pelvis . He can breath on his own now so that's a good sign and will be continued monitor . Thanks for the support guys , hopes everything turns out alright . His name is Mochi and this is him

vzOn6bi.jpg
Any update?

Airbus Jr

Banned
Not trying to be rude but youre a careless owner

Knowing that you live in 10th floor and knowing animal like cat loves to climb around you shouldve put more on safety precautions around it ( always close the windows when youre out/ put a barrier around it etc)

Last edited:
Cats have an amazing ability of to redistribute their fall and land on all fours. If anything I would think a possible broken leg or two.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

Not trying to be rude but youre a careless owner

Knowing that you live in 10th floor and knowing animal like cat loves to climb around you shouldve put more on safety precautions around it ( always close the windows when youre out/ put a barrier around it etc)
Yes you're right , I admit that . Staying with family though it's hard to make restriction sometimes as they wouldn't believe that the cat was able to jump over the balcony barrier .

Mohonky

His breathing had been stabilized , no longer needed to breath by mouth . So he'll be transferred out from breathing chamber , so I take that as a good sign . The next screening will tell us more , until then I hope he's not in pain . Hopefully the next update will be a solid good news !
Hoping for more positive updates mate

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
His breathing had been stabilized , no longer needed to breath by mouth . So he'll be transferred out from breathing chamber , so I take that as a good sign . The next screening will tell us more , until then I hope he's not in pain . Hopefully the next update will be a solid good news !
Good to hear. I've had many cats at the Vet for various issues (diabetes, kidney issues, cancer, heart issues) so it sucks but you feel like you want to do anything you can. It's not cheap. I hope you can financially handle it and not just cut the cord and write him off. If not maybe set up a GoFund me to ask for help. I'm sure many here would help (not sure if that would be allowed here though). Good luck and I hope he recovers quickly!

Tschumi

stop throwing catnip out the window brah

(for real, glad to see he seems to have come off kinda alright, hope this lung issue gets sorted. Poor puss.)

catvonpee

WTF is wrong with people in this thread? I know people don't like cats, but if you can imagine a member of your family jumping out of a window and being seriously injured... This is what happened to the OP. Take your corny jokes elsewhere please.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
10th floor? Fuck me, human would have gone splat sending positive thoughts for your cat.

Deffo used up a couple of lives there though.

My cat just jumped off the balcony from 10th floor. He's in the vet now, inside a breathing chamber. Condition is no external injuries, but some blood on the table and heavy breathing. He was also limping on the back foot. What is the odd of survival :(

I have already accepted the worst case but just wanted to talk about it with you guys :(

update :
Doc just called after screening , she said his condition already stabilized for now . There's a small air bubble in the lung that might be a little concerning , and some fracture on the pelvis . He can breath on his own now so that's a good sign and will be continued monitor . Thanks for the support guys , hopes everything turns out alright . His name is Mochi and this is him

vzOn6bi.jpg

dean hug GIF

:(

Oh fuck man, i'm really sorry to hear that.

As a person who has raised kitties since I was a boy, and really looking at my cats as my children, this breaks my heart to hear.

I hope your car is doing well by today, and I sincerely hope she/he is in much better spirits after the whole ordeal.

May I know if you moved to a new place recently, or is this just a freak accident?

Seems odd a cat would jump 10 floors unless it was:

A) In a new environment

B) It is/was a outdoor-ish cat that is now being made to stay in.

I live in an apartment and my furball has never once even climbed up the balcony having growing up in it. So I do wonder.

Edit: I just read some of the replies in this thread and wtf guys, some of you need to chill the hell out and for the love of god just come together for a fellow member who is worried about a family member. Leave that other bs until the situation has clearly improved for OP at least 🤦🏽‍♂️

Last edited:

Blade2.0

Cats and all animals I guess probably have the human equivalent of the « call of the void », with a bit less restraint in critical thinking to not fucking jump lol, although I’m sure humans do jump from this feeling, we just put in the « suicide » label on the event, as who can really say? Some peoples who jump had a total absence of sadness/depression prior to their move.
I've thought about jumping when I look down from high heights. Glad I have a name for it.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Very glad your cat is going to do ok it appears. I know cats have super dexterity but I’m pleasantly surprised he survived that. I have no idea what their limits are, but before I opened the thread I was expecting hearing how he didn’t survive. It shows you how amazing cats are. 10 stories is a long long fall.

Top Bottom