• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My cat just jumped off from 10th floor :(

Rickyiez

My cat just jumped off the balcony from 10th floor. He's in the vet now, inside a breathing chamber. Condition is no external injuries, but some blood on the table and heavy breathing. He was also limping on the back foot. What is the odd of survival :(

I have already accepted the worst case but just wanted to talk about it with you guys :(

update :
Doc just called after screening , she said his condition already stabilized for now . There's a small air bubble in the lung that might be a little concerning , and some fracture on the pelvis . He can breath on his own now so that's a good sign and will be continued monitor . Thanks for the support guys , hopes everything turns out alright . His name is Mochi and this is him

vzOn6bi.jpg

Update 11/8
Great news ! Mochi was cleared from the Vet today and is now back at home . He still have to be caged for a month or so for the fracture to heal . Lung and the liver condition had all returned to normal . Again , thanks for all the support !

wGnqBxm.jpg

Last edited:

MadAnon

Poor cat. Why are cats being held in crammed city apartments in the first place? It's basically a prison. I would jump off the building too...

It really makes me sad to see these indoor city cats while my 2 female cats can go explore outside as they please, hunt mice in meadows etc.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
In a 1987 study of 132 cats brought to a New York City emergency veterinary clinic after falls from high-rise buildings, 90% of treated cats survived and only 37% needed emergency treatment to keep them alive. One that fell 32 stories onto concrete suffered only a chipped tooth and a collapsed lung and was released after 48 hours.

Last edited:

L0la H4vana

Banned
I hope your cat is going to be okay. That sounds really rough. But like someone here said cats are very resilient so there's always a chance he pulls through. I had a cat in my apartment and we installed this fence on top of the balcony using the material that they use to coop in chickens. A roster like thing.
Unsightly but effective. Although after the stunt yours pulled he will probably not make the same mistake twice.

All the best to you and your kitty!

Poor cat. Why are cats being held in crammed city apartments in the first place? It's basically a prison. I would jump off the building too...

It really makes me sad to see these indoor city cats while my 2 female cats can go explore outside as they please, hunt mice in meadows etc.
Idiotic take. This cat didn’t try to commit suicide, and outdoor cats die extremely young on average.

Cyberpunkd

What are you rambling about? Many cats are not suited to outdoor life, they feel great inside an apartment as long as they are taken care of and loved. They are probably the best companion animals given effort required to keep them and the level of interaction they provide to their owners.

What gives me pause is people being allowed to keep dog monstrosities in the city, I literally cannot walk in a straight line without stepping in dog shit in Paris. Meanwhile my cat does her thing in a litter box.

Last edited:
Idiotic take. A person who lives 24/7 inside scared, shielded from everyday danger will live longer on average. It's not about who lives longer. It's about who feels happier. City cats are basically held in Truman show.
Even if you were right, which you aren’t (see: ANY indoor cat), you’re still an asshole for blaming the OP.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

I agreed too my mindset is always that animals should be free in the wild . However this cat was brought home by my sister , so it is what it is , I've already bonded so much with him .

L0la H4vana

Banned
I just saw the picture and I don't know how to edit my post so I'll just say it here: what a sweetheart, OP! Let us know how it goes. I'm really hoping for a happy ending.

Come on cat!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I think it does not matter if it's 10th floor or 100th floor.
cats quickly reach their terminal velocity and it is usually not lethal for them

Good update, glad to hear it and I'm not even a cat person. Now we need to tell your kitty raining cats and dogs is not to be taken literally.

Top Bottom