• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: Japan their fastest growing gaming market, strong popularity for the Xbox Series S

YAZZ-and-the-PLASTIC-POPULATION-The-Only-Way-Is-Up-2.jpg

SkylineRKR

Depends on how you spin this. if they go from like 100 units to 600 units then yes, in raw percentages its quite a grow. But in actual numbers its rather useless.

[Sigma]

Oh please not this again. What we get this type of stuff once or twice every year? The metric is here is like going from diarrhea to solid shit. It's still shit.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
It's not wrong considering how poorly they usually sell in Japan.
But the numbers are barely beating the 3ds.

Come on MS, you're better than this. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Faithless83

Banned
I actually see it the other way round. We are getting more Japanese games on Xbox than we ever had before, he is perfectly right about that.
Because it's actually "free gamepass money".
How else would the japanese version of the games pushing any numbers without hardware?

They keep saying this and yet we see most Japanese games skip over Xbox, so why Great Ace Attorney is not coming out on Xbox? its getting released on other platforms, including PC.
It seems to be a Capcom thing. Street Fighter 5 skipped Xbox too and I highly doubt it was because Xbox gamers would not buy the biggest fighting franchise.

On topic I'd imagine that the XSS should sell well in Japan because the biggest complaint about the Xbox was its size right? Can't get much smaller than the XSS.

cireza

Because it's actually "free gamepass money".
How else would the japanese version of the games pushing any numbers without hardware?
This is wrong, and demonstrates the bad faith in your post.

The vast majority of the big Japanese games we get on Xbox have normal releases, and eventually come to Gamepass. Both Dragon Quest and Yakuza games are an exception because they were late releases. Like a Dragon had a normal, day one release by the way.

I know this well, I buy and play these games.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
This is wrong, and demonstrates the bad faith in your post.

The vast majority of the big Japanese games we get on Xbox have normal releases, and eventually come to Gamepass. Both Dragon Quest and Yakuza games are an exception because they were late releases. Like a Dragon had a normal, day one release by the way.

I know this well, I buy and play these games.
Geez, let me try to put into different words:
They are not selling IN JAPAN.
How could they if there is next to no user base there?

And this applies to everything other than the switch, it's not about "faith" (I see what you did there) it's about numbers.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Not being snarky here.. but when your sales are so tiny, it's really easy to suddenly have a large percentage jump.. aka become the "fastest growing."

200% of barely anything is still barely anything.

Dabaus

Banned
Xbox series has sold less than any Xbox at this point in time from its respective launch period in Japan, or anywhere else for that matter. This is pure, unmitigated lies and spin. I wouldn’t expect ign or anyone in game media for that matter to bother fact checking it. Wasn’t there a article back in February saying Japanese publishers are abandoning Xbox? Besides yakuza I don’t think I saw a Japanese made game their entire conference.

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

They sold 4 consoles this year vs 1 last year. That's a 300% growth, beat this Nintendo and Sony! Checkmate!
This

Technically they are not wrong... but compared to the Xbox One even selling one console more will result in a huge growth in Japan.

BTW: What about China? Do they sell them there and do we have any numbers?

Faithless83

Banned
My post, to which you answered, wasn't about how games sell in Japan.
Like the article about the growth of Xbox in Japan, the same logic could be applied to "more Japanese games on Xbox than we ever had before".

It's true, compared to almost no japanese games/console sales in Japan, but nowhere near the other platforms numbers. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

NonPhixion

In Japan they sold 31k Series XS consoles in 2020 and have only sold 15k consoles so far in 2021. "a strong uptake in the country for Xbox Series X|S consoles"

Is the growth coming thru xCloud? Xbox’s head of the Asia region doesn't seem to share anything other than words.

ethomaz

Banned
From the wording, it sounds like they're talking revenue and lumping in digital content and peripheral hardware sales on PC too.... lol.
Well it it is a very small grow in numbers it is still a grow... so it start to make sense.

But when you look what he said that Series S have strong popularity when Series X has at least 3x the popularity of Series S there makes you find there are more lies behinds the claims.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

No lies detected for the first part of the claim (technically it may be true), but the second part about "strong popularity"....

smbu2000

Well they did just barely start offering gamepass in Japan in April of 2020. Xcloud is also not available in Japan yet.

They would also probably sell more XSX/XSS if they provided any stock.
I’ve only seen them available from 3rd party sellers from $100-$200 (equivalent)above msrp (XSX) to $70 above msrp (XSS). (MSRP I listed includes 10% sales tax.)

John Wick

I can see series s selling alot. Its what casuals, Playstation fans, Nintendo fans want. Small nice box, with one purpose, which is gamepass.

People right now only want series x, because they are the hardcore. After 1 or 2 year, is when the sales of series s will boom.
Your going to be shocked when SX outsells the SS.

Maybe people are buying them in Japan to use as replacement stands for their PS5s? They certainly look better than the official stands and are probably cheaper over there too.

Anyway, well done Xbox, you win an award.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I doubt that. You are underestimating the power of moms. Once that month hits, this will be series S.
Black Friday Shopping GIF by NBC
It will never outsell, because for both Sony and MS, they produce 1 cheaper model for every 7-10 more expensive models. And demand isn't slowing in the global semiconductor and resin shortage.

Atrus

Gold Member
If you were the head of Xbox’s Asia region what would you say?

I'd be selling the Series X/S as a console with unprecedented uptake* and that I've never seen such demand*. A truly revolutionary marvel with a bright future in the region thanks to the fantastic but severely under-compensated XBOX Asia leadership.

*for an XBOX console released in 2020.

Spidey Fan

Banned
It will never outsell, because for both Sony and MS, they produce 1 cheaper model for every 7-10 more expensive models. And demand isn't slowing in the global semiconductor and resin shortage.
If you read the news, you wouldn't have said that.
Microsoft is busy doing XSX blades for their xcloud. Hence why their is low drop of their hardwares, compared to the Playstation. Their goal is to have XSX on their cloud data center for their Xcloud.

And for series S, most of Playstation users want it for gamepass. This will boost the demand for series. Also series S is easy to make unlike series X.

mejin

If they're talking about the tiny island, it just means worldwide Series sales should be at the same pace of Bone or probably worse imo

Top Bottom