• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phillip W. Spencer III "Japan is the most growing market for Xbox... I consider Steam Deck as Xbox... Switch and PS users as part of Xbox community"

Ozriel

M$FT
As I recall, Phil Spencer made a statement along those lines when discussing Bethesda. It was not described as a restriction for all games going forward. Heck, even in the interview above he talks about cloud only in the context of "on the go". So yeah, stop "holding back" on all the other platforms if they are all "Xbox users".

He said this without regard to a Game Pass restriction whatsoever....

"Phil: Both are important indeed. Firstly, regarding the hardware, I am very excited and looking forward to what can be achieved in the future. With respect to hardware, it's not just about merely aligning with what other companies are doing, but I believe there's something unique that can be offered to Xbox users. Just as I consider ROG Ally and Steam Deck as part of the Xbox community, it's necessary to consider the numerous Nintendo Switch and PlayStation users as part of the Xbox community going forward.

Similarly, including those who are playing on PC with Game Pass, it's important to ensure that everyone who continues to play Xbox games feels equal within the community. There are many things to work on."

How exactly is he ‘holding back’ on people playing COD or Minecraft on Playstation and Switch? how exactly is the experience not equal, when there’s full content and feature parity? Ditto for Fallout 76, Elder Scrolls Online and others.

Nowhere in that statement does he promise full availability of all xbox games on all platforms where Xbox users exist.

if it’s not then why don’t you prove it by only playing games on a browser for the next year? 🤔 because you’re saying that it’s perfectly fine for people that don’t have the systems you do that Xbox still puts games out on

Web browser’s just one example, though. There are lots of members here that exclusively play Xbox games on PC…and have done so for years.

GHG

You guys are jealous cause man knows how to cook.

Wm6bnVd.jpg

wBTfhXH.jpg

NbwkTUb.jpg

The current figures in Japan show that over the past three years, Xbox has been the fastest-growing market compared to any other country, region, or market.

Uhm, Phil, 20% more of zero market share ... is still zero.

ZoukGalaxy

Grumpy Cat No GIF by Internet Cat Video Festival

Also Phil:
"We sold x10 more Xbox consoles* this week in Japan... going from 1 sold to 10 sold, it's incredible, it's growing and fantastic (...) it's like an experiment becoming reality"
Phil Spencer, crackhead of Xbox.

*Xbox 360 consoles sold

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Would ‘Monthly Active Users of multiplatform Xbox games like Minecraft, ESO, FO76 and COD’ make you feel better?

Why is the common sense that says people who play COD on PlayStation are not using Xbox and therefore are not Xbox users somehow controversial for you?

Are people who play mlb/destiny on Xbox PlayStation users?

So everybody who watches the last of us show on hbo is a PlayStation user?

It’s not enough that Phil and his minions are inflating numbers for the brand, now we gotta deal with this bs?

Last edited:

Fredrik

Then they ain't "Xbox users" and he needs to stop pretending they are.
They’re never going back to isolating Xbox console users as Xbox users. Xbox has been on PC too for awhile now, the games are day 1 on Steam, and handhelds and cloud, some games are on PS and Switch. MS has been using total player count and engagement data from all platforms for some time, the Xbox console-only bubble may exist for rare games with no other versions but for the most part the bubble has been popped and there is no going back.
It’ll make more sense once there is no new specific Xbox hardware and it’s just a launcher. I give it one more console generation and it’ll feel normal for everyone that using a Xbox launcher on whatever plastic is all that’s needed to be considered a ”Xbox user”.
Can’t wait. I hate the plastic wars.

Last edited:

Doom85

Yeah. Because companies want a leader with a negative outlook 🙄 What is he supposed to say?

Hating/shitting on Xbox is the cool thing to do these days

Maybe focus on things that are positive AND not total bullshit?

Imagine the head of SEGA saying their company was the strongest they’ve ever been…..in 2001. Just because it’s positive sounding doesn’t mean it doesn’t deserve to be laughed at.

Last edited:

hinch7

Yeah. Because companies want a leader with a negative outlook 🙄 What is he supposed to say?

Easy to pick fun and critique when people say stupid things. Some people (Phil Spencer) can't help themselves..

We've seen the leaked emails of them wanting to basically buy most of the big publishers including Nintendo and Valve, which sounds fucking dreadful. Question is.. why would anyone want to simp or defend them? lol.

Idc for stupid console wars, but MS is a awful company with its business ethics.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
They’re never going back to isolating Xbox console users as Xbox users. Xbox has been on PC too for awhile now, the games are day 1 on Steam, and handhelds and cloud, some games are on PS and Switch. MS has been using total player count and engagement data from all platforms for some time, the Xbox console-only bubble may exist for rare games with no other versions but for the most part the bubble has been popped and there is no going back.
It’ll make more sense once there is no new specific Xbox hardware and it’s just a launcher. I give it one more console generation and it’ll feel normal for everyone that using a Xbox launcher on whatever plastic is all that’s needed to be considered a ”Xbox user”.
Can’t wait. I hate the plastic wars.

Right now we hate plastic wars because there’s a very real possibility Xbox the console goes away or loses the concept of exclusives.

I’m sure you will be able to run a Xbox launcher on a PlayStation lol

Ozriel

M$FT
Why is the common sense that says people who play COD on PlayStation are not using Xbox and therefore are not Xbox users somehow controversial for you?

Are people who play mlb/destiny on Xbox PlayStation users?

Thread title says 'community', not 'users'. And yes, anyone who plays Destiny actively is part of the Destiny community...and that's a PlayStation game.

You think revenue from Destiny from PC and Xbox sales aren't getting reported in PlayStation overall revenue?
When Sony put out this chart showing their future growth area for PlayStation, where were you?

sony-briefing-2023.jpg

They even had a slide talking about how 5 PC ports so far have PSN Log-ins. Essentially part of the PlayStation community even without access to PlayStation hardware.

sony-ongoing-growth-to-be-sustained-by-pc-titles-v0-qfqqseab9r1b1.jpg

So if everybody who watches the last of us show on hbo is a PlayStation user?

Such an inane analogy. What were you thinking?

Fredrik

Right now we hate plastic wars because there’s a very real possibility Xbox the console goes away or loses the concept of exclusives.

I’m sure you will be able to run a Xbox launcher on a PlayStation lol
The thing is, there won’t be a Xbox or Playstation in another console generation. It’ll just be Playstation and Xbox launchers. Throw this back at me with lols in 2036 if I’m wrong, assuming we’re still around and not nuked or whatever.

Last edited:

NonPhixion

I mean when you buy IPs with pre-existing communities then sure, they’re now part of the Xbox community. Phil just tying to make you think they wouldn’t exist without him xbox.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

You go and do all the research or news reading to see why the division has been incompetently run for a while.

And he simply sucks at his job. They saw better days under Moore and even Matrick.

The trust fund doesn't erase the facts.

And supernovas, you're right. That's just what Microsoft PR is. Saying a whole bunch of nonsense and see what sticks. It's old

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Thread title says 'community', not 'users'. And yes, anyone who plays Destiny actively is part of the Destiny community...and that's a PlayStation game.

You think revenue from Destiny from PC and Xbox sales aren't getting reported in PlayStation overall revenue?
When Sony put out this chart showing their future growth area for PlayStation, where were you?

sony-briefing-2023.jpg

They even had a slide talking about how 5 PC ports so far have PSN Log-ins. Essentially part of the PlayStation community even without access to PlayStation hardware.

sony-ongoing-growth-to-be-sustained-by-pc-titles-v0-qfqqseab9r1b1.jpg

Such an inane analogy. What were you thinking?

“Part of the Destiny community” I’m sorry is it something in your programming that stopped you from saying PlayStation community? Also I was replying to a post about the term Xbox users.

Insane analogy? The Last of Us is PlayStation productions.

I’m sorry did this break your bs rationale?

Sushi_Combo

If you're buying their product i.e. Minecraft, COD or any other game owned by MS then you are part of the engagement numbers.
It's going to be interesting once we get engagement numbers between Xbox and Playstation. I'm sure they'll try hiding it and combining everything into one row of numbers.

Fredrik

It's going to be interesting once we get engagement numbers between Xbox and Playstation. I'm sure they'll try hiding it and combining everything into one row of numbers.
Of course. And CoD player numbers are going to be spectacular for PR without the hard details and the money brought in will be impressive since they’ll dodge the Gamepass effect.

Top Bottom