• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: Japan their fastest growing gaming market, strong popularity for the Xbox Series S

Oh please not this again. What we get this type of stuff once or twice every year? The metric is here is like going from diarrhea to solid shit. It's still shit.
Haha, yeah going from 140 consoles to 14000 is a 100x increase but it’s still a bad showing.

Like I’m happy that they are doing better, but Japan will never adopt the Xbox in large numbers. It’s literally never going to happen.

PC emulator can't emulate most of the main PS3 games and won't during many years because of technology limitations.

All 4 consoles sold the same day? Wow, spectacular!

I am peppering you with god damn facts while you're acting emotional. You can't sell more than you provide. No one is saying the thing will outsell PlayStation or Nintendo.

yurinka

I am peppering you with god damn facts while you're acting emotional. You can't sell more than you provide. No one is saying the thing will outsell PlayStation or Nintendo.
You already have the facts earlier in this thread: Xbox Series is selling in Japan worse than all the other Xbox consoles launch aligned, and there's an improvement over the previous year (obviously since they released next gen consoles this year) but they still are abysmal numbers. Specially when compared to the other Xbox or to PS4/PS5 and Switch they suck, nothing to brag about. That's what I said, I didn't say they were talking about outselling PS or Nintendo.

Last edited:
You already have the facts earlier in this thread: Xbox Series is selling in Japan worse than all the other Xbox consoles launch aligned, and there's an improvement over the previous year but they still are abysmal numbers. Specially when compared to the other Xbox or to PS4/PS5 and Switch they suck, nothing to brag about. That's what I said, I didn't say they were talking about outselling PS or Nintendo.

You think you're smart for saying that XBOX isn't setting the world on fire in Japan? Everyone knows this shit. Growth and sentiment can change however and what XBOX Japan is saying is that it's finally moving in the right direction they feel and the localization work and PC GamePass has a lot to do with that. But here you come kicking in the door to announce that you know better. Give me a break. It's not even about the sales but most people's lack of understanding. But then again I'm older and a professional business man so maybe I'm expecting folks to understand a world beyond surface level bullshit.

yurinka

You think you're smart for saying that XBOX isn't setting the world on fire in Japan? Everyone knows this shit. Growth and sentiment can change however and what XBOX Japan is saying is that it's finally moving in the right direction they feel and the localization work and PC GamePass has a lot to do with that. But here you come kicking in the door to announce that you know better. Give me a break. It's not even about the sales but most people's lack of understanding. But then again I'm older and a professional business man so maybe I'm expecting folks to understand a world beyond surface level bullshit.
No, I just show the facts to better understand the context of his words.
Growth doesn't mean a shit when sales are still poor after that growth. Sentiment/mindshare/etc are just bullshit buzzwords used as excuse because unlike the facts can't be properly measured and compared because we don't have that data.

P.S.: I worked over a decade and a half in different gamedev studio roles (including marketing/product management and producer) first for a studio bougth by a couple of top publishers and now I'm CEO of my own gamedev studio. Worked in over 40 published games, several of them big hits or award winning games.

Last edited:
No, I just show the facts to better understand the context of his words.
Growth doesn't mean a shit when sales are still poor after that growth. Sentiment/mindshare/etc are just bullshit buzzwords used as excuse because unlike the facts can't be properly measured and compared because we don't have that data.

P.S.: I worked over a decade and a half in different gamedev studio roles (including marketing/product management and producer) first for a studio bougth by a couple of top publishers and now I'm CEO of my own gamedev studio. Worked in over 40 published games, several of them big hits or award winning games.

Well at least I'm not arguing with a 15 year old, that makes me feel a little better 😂

Growth in Asia is expected to be beyond console and we know that. Nintendo mops PlayStation in Japan for instance because portable experiences are more desired for longer commutes and spurts of gaming. Conversely PC gaming has picked up a lot of "steam" in recent years as well. They cater to different audiences. XBOX will never be the market leader in console in Asia mostly due to their own failure with localization, support, and investment. We all know that.

yurinka

Growth in Asia is expected to be beyond console and we know that. Nintendo mops PlayStation in Japan for instance because portable experiences are more desired for longer commutes and spurts of gaming. Conversely PC gaming has picked up a lot of "steam" in recent years as well. They cater to different audiences. XBOX will never be the market leader in console in Asia mostly due to their own failure with localization, support, and investment. We all know that.
Regarding the global gaming market, Asia, F2P and mobile are the highest growing markets and regions in addition to be bigger in terms of users and revenue than the west, paid games or console. But the gaming market growth in Asia is highly focused on F2P PC and specially mobile F2P games, not in consoles.

Even if way smaller and growing less than the mobile market, the worldwide console market growths specially thanks to the western markets. Years ago the home console Japanese market started to slowly migrate to portables and mobile, so this why many home console devs and publishers started to consider making mobile games, or to focus less in Japan focused games and more in games with a global appeal.

Console still has China and India as untapped markets with pretty big black and grey markets. All 3 platform holders are trying to address these markets but seems a difficult task and that they will require time. If they succeed with these countries then we could see a big growth in console Asian market.

Yes, localization is key for non-English native countries. Since the first PlayStation Sony did a great work in Europe localizing their games to the main European languages (many people in a lot of European countries don't speak English). I'd say it was one of the key reasons of why PS caused an insane growth of the console market compared to its competition and previous console, and why Europe has been Sonyland since then.

I don't know well the localization in Asia, but a friend who now lives in Thailand told me that since recently Sony localizes boxes and subtitles to Thai plus Korean and traditional Chinese, when until now the common thing was to have only simplified Chinese. See the RE Village example he sent me:

image.png

He barely speaks Thai (he speaks Spanish and English), but thinks it's a big step for games there since many people there don't speak Chinese or English. He thinks that Thailand will continue being a tiny, non-important market if they do this with all games he expects a good growth.

Last edited:
Regarding the global gaming market, Asia, F2P and mobile are the highest growing markets and regions in addition to be bigger in terms of users and revenue than the west, paid games or console. But the gaming market growth in Asia is highly focused on F2P PC and specially mobile F2P games, not in consoles.

Even if way smaller and growing less than the mobile market, the worldwide console market growths specially thanks to the western markets. Years ago the home console Japanese market started to slowly migrate to portables and mobile, so this why many home console devs and publishers started to consider making mobile games, or to focus less in Japan focused games and more in games with a global appeal.

Console still has China and India as untapped markets with pretty big black and grey markets. All 3 platform holders are trying to address these markets but seems a difficult task and that they will require time. If they succeed with these countries then we could see a big growth in console Asian market.

XBOX is trying to address this with their Samsung partnership in Korea for xCloud for instance but they won't amount to much if they don't localize their games and experiences.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Discussing why Xcloud won't ever be even marginally successful in Japan, where Xbox has never been a thing and in a market that demonstrably has dwindled its interest in anything except casual mobile gaming? Yeah, no interest in discussing that...
... then why are you posting in a discussion thread that is discussing Xbox in Japan, where xCloud is forming a core component of their long term strategy? Do you walk into movies you're not interested in just to tell everyone in the cinema you're not interested in the movie they're watching, too?

Mr Moose

... then why are you posting in a discussion thread that is discussing Xbox in Japan, where xCloud is forming a core component of their long term strategy? Do you walk into movies you're not interested in just to tell everyone in the cinema you're not interested in the movie they're watching, too?
Only if it's an Amy Schumer movie.

yurinka

XBOX is trying to address this with their Samsung partnership in Korea for xCloud for instance but they won't amount to much if they don't localize their games and experiences.
Yes, I think they must make a big improvement regarding localization. I mean, you don't need to go to Asia for that:

Look at Spain, Europe's 4th biggest country in revenue and a top 9/10 country. Nintendo and Sony have a great full Spanish localization -even dubs- on their games, they sell a lot there. MS instead doesn't have a proper Spanish localization, and as a result it's the country where they have the worst market share.

Having a proper localization wouldn't magically fix all their issues, won't make them outsell Sony, but would improve their numbers on many countries resulting on a better global performance specially if now will want to approach more countries with Game Pass.

Osaka_Boss

It's awesome to see how the GamePass catalog is kind of unattractive to them. Even a vtuber (who clearly has a hardcore gaming fanbase) dissed MS live during a sponsored stream lol. GamePass is huge for gamers during these trial times on poorer countries, but it just doesn't hit the same way in Eastern countries

Last edited:

Jboemios

Banned
It's awesome to see how the GamePass catalog is kind of unattractive to them. Even a vtuber (who clearly has a hardcore gaming fanbase) dissed MS live during a sponsored stream lol. GamePass is huge for gamers during these trial times on poorer countries, but it just doesn't hit the same way in Eastern countries
Can you post the link?
It would be funny to watch it

Last edited:
Top Bottom