• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
639580-what-lies-below-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg

What Lies Below - 2020 - Netflix US |

A solid, tense mystery that goes in a strange direction by the end. Nothing spectacular but a solid watch if you're in the mood for slow tension and weirdness.

sol_bad

The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It - cinema

Another movie that was fine to good. It wasn't scary for me except for maybe 1 or 2 scenes. The story concept is different to the rest of the "conjuring universe" films but I don't want to say what is different about it as it will spoil things. I can understand why they would want to try new ideas, obviously they don't want things to get stale. I personally hope they go back to what the series is usually about.
:)

MastaKiiLA

The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It - cinema

Another movie that was fine to good. It wasn't scary for me except for maybe 1 or 2 scenes. The story concept is different to the rest of the "conjuring universe" films but I don't want to say what is different about it as it will spoil things. I can understand why they would want to try new ideas, obviously they don't want things to get stale. I personally hope they go back to what the series is usually about.
No James Wan makes me wary. I enjoyed the first 2 movies. I'll give this a watch, because I'm committed to the franchise. I don't have high hopes though.

sol_bad

No James Wan makes me wary. I enjoyed the first 2 movies. I'll give this a watch, because I'm committed to the franchise. I don't have high hopes though.

It definitely doesn't feel the same without James Wan, that's for sure. But it's certainly no where near as horrible as The Nun or Annabelle 1. It's not a bad film to be honest, just different. There are a few annoying things if I get nitpicky but I try not to do that if possible.

*EDIT*

The Hitman's Bodyguard - Prime rental

Wife and I rented this last night to see if we liked it enough to see the new film at the cinemas.
And I'll be honest, I enjoyed the shit out of this stupid movie. Reynolds and Jackson work so well together, you can tell they had a blast making this film. Obviously it's not the greatest action film ever made and it's not the funniest film ever made, it actually has some strangely childish humor at points that simply don't work. The boat chase through Amsterdam was pretty darn thrilling truth be told and I liked the gun play that was on show. My wife enjoyed it too but not as much as me. We looked at the budget of the film and both exclaimed how we couldn't believe it was cheaper than Army of the Dead because it felt like a far more expensive film in every possible way.
So yeah, we'll be watching the sequel at the cinemas, can't wait to see more of Salma Hayek's tiddies!!!.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

It definitely doesn't feel the same without James Wan, that's for sure. But it's certainly no where near as horrible as The Nun or Annabelle 1. It's not a bad film to be honest, just different. There are a few annoying things if I get nitpicky but I try not to do that if possible.
Ugh...The Nun was so bad. Annabelle was bad too, but The Nun was as bad as a shlocky 80s slasher flick, minus the gratuitous violence. The Nun and La Llorona are probably the 2 worst horror flicks I've seen in recent years. Just awful efforts. Wan was too eager to cash those producer checks.

xrnzaaas

The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It was decent, definitely not on the same level of creepiness and quality as the first film, but on a similar one to Conjuring 2 and way above Anabelle and The Nun flicks. I was disappointed not to be scared by any of the jump scares because of their predictability, but it was still an enjoyable movie and the main antagonist was okay (although not on the same level as the Nun from Conjuring 2).

Last edited:
Just tried watching the Snyder cut of justice league.. no wonder it’s 4 hours long. Everything is in slow motion even Wonder Woman just standing in the rain.

Had to pause it at 35 mins and will go back sometime.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The Big Short

Pretty good movie about the economic destaster that occured back in 2007 but honestly by now I have serious trouble taking ANYTHING coming out of Hollywood seriously that is based on true events...
But at least the movie was entertaining for what it was.

8/10

MastaKiiLA

Awake

Did I ever mention that I hate Gina Rodriguez? The only thing I liked her in was Miss Bala. Now combine my distaste for her acting with a plot that had potential were it not hobbled by a terrible script. I'm not sure I can blame the direction, I think the script is just bad. A total waste of Barry Pepper, Frances Fisher, and Jennifer Jason Leigh. Most of the world loses the ability to sleep. Pandemonium ensues. Sped through the descent into madness, which would have been a compelling watch. Gina Rodriguez lacks the emotional range to play a sympathetic lead. I found myself not caring about the plight of her and her family. What you get is a movie where most of the time the characters are gravely fatigued, making the kinds of stupid decisions you normally rip movie characters for making. The kind of movie you figure out fairly early through process of elimination. Masking bad writing behind a sleep deprivation plot is clever, but it isn't fooling anyone. The movie did make me long for sleep though. Watch only if you love hating on bad movies, and have time to burn.

tsumake

Silence

Its certainly long, thought provoking, and beautifully shot and mixed audio wise. Its not a gripping film, but it is somewhat compelling.
7.5/10

It’s certainly not a date movie :/

It’s Scorsese’s passion play. He’s wanted to make this for years. It’s analogous to Hitchcock’s “I Confess.”

Neolombax

Always.

Its a Korean romantic drama, watched it on Netflix. Not the most original of premises, but I thought the acting was very good, believable chemistry between the main cast. The plot required a few of leaps of faith but I thought it was fine. Ended tearing up by the end. Wife was sobbing horribly.

MastaKiiLA

Wrath of Man

I love Guy Richie flicks. This was a good revenge flick, and I've seen a comment made before about the dialogue not working for the characters. I have to agree, and I don't think it was poorly-written dialogue. I think Richie's customary banter works best with Brits, and sounds completely out of place with Americans. Yeah, he has the rando American character like Avi in Snatch, and their dialogue hasn't sounded weird. However, this is a movie about a Brit in America, so the bants between most of the characters is the kind of stuff that would slap with a bunch of British gangsters, but sounds really weird with some yankee security guards. That said, the plot drives this film, and my gf and I both enjoyed it immensely. If you're not a Guy Ritchie fan, though, you'll hate it.

Spiral

The Saw franchise is one of my favorite horror/thriller franchises, especially the early installments. This doesn't fully capture the essence of what made the franchise great. This feels a bit underwhelming like Jigsaw. The formula is the same, but it lacked the same intensity. Chris Rock tried to go off-brand, but you can tell they shoehorned in a bunch of jokes to play to his strengths. I got some good chuckles from his quips, but it only served to undercut the seriousness of his character. That and he really can't portray the intensity needed from a tenured cop working a high-profile case. He had a few scenes where he got up in the faces of other characters, and they came off really forced. Some of that is his poor acting, but some of it is really due to the script having too many jokes. New Jack City showed he can play serious in a gritty film. As a character-driven film, this was a poor writing decision. Also, not nearly enough Samuel L. Jackson. He was the best part of the film, but was missing for more than half of it. I don't see a sequel happening. Reboot it in 5-ish years.

The Hummingbird Project

Skarsgard carries. Eisenberg is good as the hustler side of the brotherly pair, but Skarsgard's neurotic Anton makes this film interesting. Fictional characters, but a story about the real life latency race to ace the stock market by connecting data centers in Kansas with the NYSE in Manhattan. Nacho from Breaking Bad (Michael Mando) gets to break out of the fairly stereotypical roles that made him famous, and Salma Hayek gets to play a total bitch without the comedic softening they usually give her roles. She's manipulative and vindictive, but still working every ounce of that sexy MILF vibe she's aged into. As an engineer, I enjoyed the way they blended personal tragedy with technological intrigue. If you dug The Big Short, this one is good in similar ways.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Fuck it. I love Chris Rock so I bought Spiral at the $20 rate on Amazon.

It is a 7/10 horror movie. Solid watch. Is it worth $20? I dunno. It depends. But I really enjoyed it.

Edit - going to add my review of it here:

I am a long time fan of Chris Rock so I wanted to check it out, paid the premium to rent it on Amazon.

It's a pretty solid horror film. Slow tension that crescendos about three-fourths of the way in. It has all of the Saw hallmarks that fans of the franchise should enjoy. Rock is funny without hamming it up.

Narratively it kind of bounces around a bit, some might say it's misguided in that way. But in the end it all works out.

I can't say it's worth the cost of an early watch before it eventually lands on the streaming services at large, but I think it's safe to say that if you're a horror fan you'll enjoy this movie.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Wrath of Man was decent, a 7/10 Jason Statham / Guy Ritchie action flick. I don't think that the beginning of the story needed a total of three introductions, especially the part about the robbers and their motives was very straightforward. Also the ending was disappointing, feel a little bit cheap how they ended the revenge storyline. It was still worth a watch if you enjoy heist flicks that aren't very deep.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Tenet, and WTF did I just watch?

I’ve seen people put similar comments before and thought it meant it had a lot of plot twists or a complex story but it’s really just a disjointed mess that isn’t fun to follow.

3/10

Yea that movie is kind of shit. Sucks for Denzel's son, that was supposed to be his ticket to the big leagues. Instead he'll probably have to go back to doing random HBO shows again.

KielCasto

I didn’t enjoy In The Heights. The choreography, singing, and acting were mostly fine. Beautiful to watch. The characters and plot were not good.

Vanessa’s character arc was weird. Nina and Benny could have been cut or reworked to feel more significant. The piragua could have been cut. There was a weird, random insert of a protest (I’m not American, so I didn’t know what that was about).

There wasn’t a standout song in my opinion. Pacencia Y Fe could have been it, but it needed more buildup. And the rapping didn’t really work for me.

So, yeah. I didn’t like the movie. Maybe it’s because I didn’t watch the play or not familiar with Miranda and his work. But this film doesn’t work in my opinion.

Kenpachii

639580-what-lies-below-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg

What Lies Below - 2020 - Netflix US |

A solid, tense mystery that goes in a strange direction by the end. Nothing spectacular but a solid watch if you're in the mood for slow tension and weirdness.

That movie was a trip at the end.

dorkimoe

Fuck it. I love Chris Rock so I bought Spiral at the $20 rate on Amazon.

It is a 7/10 horror movie. Solid watch. Is it worth $20? I dunno. It depends. But I really enjoyed it.

Edit - going to add my review of it here:

I am a long time fan of Chris Rock so I wanted to check it out, paid the premium to rent it on Amazon.

It's a pretty solid horror film. Slow tension that crescendos about three-fourths of the way in. It has all of the Saw hallmarks that fans of the franchise should enjoy. Rock is funny without hamming it up.

Narratively it kind of bounces around a bit, some might say it's misguided in that way. But in the end it all works out.

I can't say it's worth the cost of an early watch before it eventually lands on the streaming services at large, but I think it's safe to say that if you're a horror fan you'll enjoy this movie.
I thought it was like a 1/10, his acting was awful and it seemed like a straight to dvd rip off.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Watched Boss Level on Amazon Prime.

Thought it was hilarious. Imagine an action flick version of Groundhog Day where the guy doesn't even have time to think about what the fuck is going on because the moment the loop starts some goons try to kill him.

The only thing that bothered me aside from the obvious budget contrains (you can really tell at many parts) is that the plot gets needlessly "heart touchy" towards the end. Would have been much more fun without this.

7/10

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The Grey

What a sad movie. I discovered it because I was thinking of a title for a short story I wrote and I though "Live, and Die, This Day", but googled it to make sure it wasn't already taken and lo and behold it's like a big part of this movie with Reddit and everyone asking about it. And I thought I was clever and original.

Anyways, it's not really deep or terribly entertaining, but as I wrote before it's a very sad story about a collection of men on the edge of the world.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
TXWkHAH.jpg

Halloween - 2018 - ★★

Boring and seemed to have lost focus on what made this franchise popular in the first place. This is barely a horror movie. It feels like it was written by teenagers.

It doesn't actually get going until halfway into its runtime and even then it's just kind of murder by numbers. I was expecting so much more.

NahaNago

Saw F9 and I thought it was kinda meh. Like some of the reviewers have mentioned the movie went a little too far and ended up being kinda silly and you are left asking really for some action scenes. The banter between tyrese and ludacris was fell flat a couple of times and they really need a third person in each scene to be the laughing audience for the jokes. This movie was far more action and has a lot less emotional impact than the other movies. I'd give this movie a rating of C. It was enjoyable to watch and if your an fast and furious fan you should just go ahead and see it since youv'e watched everything else already.

1-0.jpg

MastaKiiLA

Saw F9 and I thought it was kinda meh. Like some of the reviewers have mentioned the movie went a little too far and ended up being kinda silly and you are left asking really for some action scenes. The banter between tyrese and ludacris was fell flat a couple of times and they really need a third person in each scene to be the laughing audience for the jokes. This movie was far more action and has a lot less emotional impact than the other movies. I'd give this movie a rating of C. It was enjoyable to watch and if your an fast and furious fan you should just go ahead and see it since youv'e watched everything else already.

1-0.jpg
I'll watch for sure, but I'm not expecting anything great. And I quite enjoy the Fast franchise. However, 8 was already pretty fucking bad, and I didn't expect things to improve on another go 'round. The loss of Paul Walker was terrible for the franchise, mostly because the franchise needed 2 leads. Vin Diesel can't carry it by himself, with his complete and utter lack of charisma. Paul Walker brought that. The Rock could have been a great co-lead, but him and Vin couldn't see eye-to-eye. Given that one actor has had a shitton more success than the other over a much shorter time span, I have to blame Vin for being the source of that friction.

I've avoided spoilers thus far, so that I can get the most enjoyment out of this film, but sounds like I'm in for another F8-esque turd of a movie. It says a lot that the Hobbs & Shaw spinoff was more enjoyable than F8. I wouldn't mind seeing the franchise end with F10, and just spinoff some of the team members, like Tej & Roman, and Letty. Couldn't give much of a shit about Dom anymore, as most of the movies revolve around him anyway.

Fuck it, give me a short film about WTF happened to Leon, or what Vince did between the first movie and F5. Anything but more Vin Diesel growling through an unbelievable tough guy facade.

NahaNago

I'll watch for sure, but I'm not expecting anything great. And I quite enjoy the Fast franchise. However, 8 was already pretty fucking bad, and I didn't expect things to improve on another go 'round. The loss of Paul Walker was terrible for the franchise, mostly because the franchise needed 2 leads. Vin Diesel can't carry it by himself, with his complete and utter lack of charisma. Paul Walker brought that. The Rock could have been a great co-lead, but him and Vin couldn't see eye-to-eye. Given that one actor has had a shitton more success than the other over a much shorter time span, I have to blame Vin for being the source of that friction.

I've avoided spoilers thus far, so that I can get the most enjoyment out of this film, but sounds like I'm in for another F8-esque turd of a movie. It says a lot that the Hobbs & Shaw spinoff was more enjoyable than F8. I wouldn't mind seeing the franchise end with F10, and just spinoff some of the team members, like Tej & Roman, and Letty. Couldn't give much of a shit about Dom anymore, as most of the movies revolve around him anyway.

Fuck it, give me a short film about WTF happened to Leon, or what Vince did between the first movie and F5. Anything but more Vin Diesel growling through an unbelievable tough guy facade.
You got me thinking that Dom shouldn't be the main character of the movie. He is great as the leader of the crew but not as the main character. A Tej, Roman , and Ramsey movie would be great. I was thinking they would make a great team but I feel like they would need another character to balance out their nonsense and Ramsey just isn't a strong enough character. I find Letty to be kinda boring honestly.

It is unfortunate that Tokyo Drift is not liked since I did enjoy the movie and would have liked more Asian race car movies. I kinda feel like if it hadn't we could have pretty much had Fast and the Furious spinoffs for so many different countries.

The Grey

What a sad movie. I discovered it because I was thinking of a title for a short story I wrote and I though "Live, and Die, This Day", but googled it to make sure it wasn't already taken and lo and behold it's like a big part of this movie with Reddit and everyone asking about it. And I thought I was clever and original.

Anyways, it's not really deep or terribly entertaining, but as I wrote before it's a very sad story about a collection of men on the edge of the world.
I love this movie. Neeson in the movie made people have the wrong expectation. Brilliant survival movie. Touches on faith and nihilism.

MastaKiiLA

Voyagers

Lord of the Flies in Space...and Worse, would have been an excellent title for this. That kind of spoils the movie for those who didn't know what it's about, but you're really not missing much. I have a weird hate for Tye Sheridan, but he's honestly not the reason this movie is bad. This had an interesting premise, with the ability to dive into what could go wrong with a transgenerational expedition to another planet. It didn't bog itself down with focusing on the plight of the planet they were leaving behind, so it had almost the full runtime to dive into things. They built a strong enough foundation for the story, before the mission started, but resorted to some pretty tired tropes less than halfway through the film, and it just devolves from there. A young cast, so the acting wasn't helping much. Colin Farrell did his thing, and Sheridan was the best of the young cast. Nothing else redeemable about this flick. Passengers is the far superior movie in this genre.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Watched The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons again. They’re bad movies but for some reason I like them. I guess it’s because of the locations filmed and I’m a sucker for treasure hunt type movies. And also many parts in each give comedic relief, they’re so ridiculous and over the top.

watching The Hobbit in 4K next.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Been on a Shudder binge lately at night. since this is mainly horror I'll list the ones I remember, insomnia is a b$&#.

Most recent:
Terrified - Pretty funny when you see accidentally a boom mic show up. Overall creepy moments
Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum - Found this one the most entertaining, builds up
Gehenna: Where Death Lives - Good twist
Still/Born - Eh.. it wasn't horrible
Caveat
Take Shelter - Pretty good but long
Blood Vessel - Fun stupid movie
Superdeep - Wtf.. pretty bad

Update
Sadako vs. Kayako - this was damn fun to watch. Having ju-on and ring girls go at it.
The Tomorrow War - Great action movie
Host - Fun twist with covid quarantine , bottle to girls head was funny, also they need to upgrade their zoom meeting is a huge plot point.

Adding more to the horror list.
Z - F the kid in this movie
The Cleansing hour - exorcism movie that doesn't take itself to serious
Apartment 143

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Fear Street - Part 1 : 1994 (Netflix)

9/10, this was great, never read the books before but it definitely has that old school slasher feel.
Looking forward to Part 2.

INC

Watched The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons again. They’re bad movies but for some reason I like them. I guess it’s because of the locations filmed and I’m a sucker for treasure hunt type movies. And also many parts in each give comedic relief, they’re so ridiculous and over the top.
Same, they're not amazing movies, but they're decent treasure hunt films. Inferno isn't bad either, not great. They're like guilty pleasure movies

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Since it's 4th of July weekend, I had to watch an all-time 4th of July classic.

Not Independence Day, not Born on the 4th of July, not The Patriots.

NATIONAL TREASURE. It's so fucking terrible, but just like the Robert Langdon movies, I am entertained by these dumb movies for some reason.

xrnzaaas

The Tomorrow War was mostly forgettable even though the premise was okay and the monster designs were cool. Chris Pratt is either a bad actor or he didn't care too much about giving a good performance in this flick and the part about diverse candidates from various genders and ethnicities gave me a nice laugh (plus it was dumb to expect civilians with such a short training to survive). I liked some of the action scenes in the film, the siege reminded me a bit of World War Z.

PS. I wonder how much money Qatar paid the producers to be featured in the film.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Nobody

I'd heard it was good, but man, that was much better than I expected. I love how the action gets ratcheted up right to the end. The combat is shot really well, especially when you consider that Odenkirk is nowhere near your prototypical action star. I have no doubt they used stunt doubles gratuitously, but they shot it so well that you don't notice. The choreography was really nice. This is how you pull off fast cut fights, without abusing shaky cam. You make every move count, and use camera angles that deliver both setup and impact. The first fight on the bus was like a basic tutorial on how to shoot a good fight. They used some CG for blood spatter (I think), and some speed up at the right moments, but damn that was just a truly visceral experience. They also gave the fights moments to breathe and rebuild tension, with timely, but brief, breaks in the action. This movie is a must-see. Move over John Wick, there's a new badass in town.

Quasicat

So far, this has been a summer of movies for me. My movies from this week are Chaplin with Robert Downey Jr, Muppet Guys Talking with several Muppet performers directed by Frank Oz, and Luca. All three from this week are awesome and I definitely recommend them!

My favorite of the three:

Mr Hyde

Alita: Battle Angel

When I first watched this movie in the theaters I left somewhat disappointed. It didn't really click with me, either the action or the story. The only thing I really enjoyed was the world building and Alita herself.

I decided to give it a second try so I bought the blu-ray edition and I gotta admit, this is a pretty good movie. It's a great movie. I very much enjoyed everything, the story is exciting and well done, as is the characters and the design of the cyborgs (especially the look of Zapan, total badass with that sword).

The CG effects are outstanding, particularly Alita, who seems almost real, much thanks to Rosa Salazar's phenomenal acting. She was very believable and had a lot of heart for this role.

Robert Rodriguez is such a good action director and every scene with the fighting felt awesome to look at, very tense encounters with Alita and the cyborgs, with the highlight being the Motorball scene.

I want a sequel. I want more films in this universe with these characters. Unfortunately, I read the movie didn't do to well in the box office so maybe this movie is all we get. But if it is so, I'm at least happy we got this, because it is a hell of an entertaining movie.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
The Danish Girl.

Kind of a frustrating watch. It was very clear, early in the film, that the couple's relationship would never work after her husband's gender dysphoria awakened. But they keep trying, over and over for two hours. (I know it's based on a true story, but still, it's a film for entertainment). Also Redmayne's character came across more of a schizophrenic than transgender.

Gets a 7/10 from me. Mostly for the performances, cinematography, and emotional ending.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
MV5BMTYwMzIyMjg5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzM1NjI2MDE@._V1_.jpg

60 critic (RT) score.
91 user (RT) score.

Watched it after reading it was the "German Band of Brothers". Loved it. Definitely recommend it for anyone looking for solid war movie/series. Free on Amazon Prime right now.

The Purge: Anarchy. First time I've seen a film from this series, didn't know there were 6 in total! Once a year the citizens of the US can kill each other with impunity. You are either on the streets purging or indoors. You know what you're getting yourself into with this movie, though there are a couple of twists. Some moments of tension but not enough to push this movie past mediocrity.

INC

Alita: Battle Angel

When I first watched this movie in the theaters I left somewhat disappointed. It didn't really click with me, either the action or the story. The only thing I really enjoyed was the world building and Alita herself.

I decided to give it a second try so I bought the blu-ray edition and I gotta admit, this is a pretty good movie. It's a great movie. I very much enjoyed everything, the story is exciting and well done, as is the characters and the design of the cyborgs (especially the look of Zapan, total badass with that sword).

The CG effects are outstanding, particularly Alita, who seems almost real, much thanks to Rosa Salazar's phenomenal acting. She was very believable and had a lot of heart for this role.

Robert Rodriguez is such a good action director and every scene with the fighting felt awesome to look at, very tense encounters with Alita and the cyborgs, with the highlight being the Motorball scene.

I want a sequel. I want more films in this universe with these characters. Unfortunately, I read the movie didn't do to well in the box office so maybe this movie is all we get. But if it is so, I'm at least happy we got this, because it is a hell of an entertaining movie.

Felt too clean to me, the original manga was far darker. The boyfriend was too Hollywood, and didn't feel nothing like the original character

At least it more or less followed the original manga pretty well tho

Its not bad tho. Its better than ghost in the shell Hollywood shit, only thing that as decent was SJ in skin tight outfits

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom