• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Hyde

Felt too clean to me, the original manga was far darker. The boyfriend was too Hollywood, and didn't feel nothing like the original character

At least it more or less followed the original manga pretty well tho

I'm not familiar with the manga so can't really compare, but movies being different (and often worse) than their source material is usually the case with pretty much every adaptation out there.

However, I watched the making of features on the Blu ray disc and it seemed like the creator of the manga, Yukito Kishira, was quite satisfied with what Rodriguez and Cameron had brought to the table.

INC

I'm not familiar with the manga so can't really compare, but movies being different (and often worse) than their source material is usually the case with pretty much every adaptation out there.

However, I watched the making of features on the Blu ray disc and it seemed like the creator of the manga, Yukito Kishira, was quite satisfied with what Rodriguez and Cameron had brought to the table.

Its not far off, the core story is basically the same. Just small things, which considering its Hollywood, arent that bad. Its probably by far the best remake of a manga, from Hollywood
The manga film is like half the run time as well, so of course they've had to padded some story telling
I just hope to god akira live action falls through, Been rumoured for years now

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
The Forever Purge - 7.5/10

I went in with no expectations and was pleasantly surprised. It is by far one of the best movies in the series..... maybe even the best. That’s no saying much as I think the whole series is constantly wasting it’s potential by focusing on overall complicated story lines.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The Forever Purge - 7.5/10

I went in with no expectations and was pleasantly surprised. It is by far one of the best movies in the series..... maybe even the best. That’s no saying much as I think the whole series is constantly wasting it’s potential by focusing on overall complicated story lines.
I thought it was pretty good, better than I was expecting from the reviews. Plenty of action, albeit a bit disjointed. I still think the second one is the best, although it's probably by accident.

MastaKiiLA

The 8th Night

This was really good. Korean horror flick. Ancient monster artifacts must be guarded to prevent the end of the world type of story. It doesn't rely on cheesy jump scares, but rather uses tension and the interesting lore to create a compelling horror movie with some light mystery elements. If you're dubbing in any language, be aware that the movie opens with narrator exposition that explains the lore, and for whatever reason, they don't translate that to the dubbed language. The subtitles do translate it though. This felt like an Omen or Poltergeist type of horror movie, where the paranormal activity and mythology/lore are always visible, but scary enough in their own right. Asia does good horror, and this is the best I've seen in quite some time.

Jiu Jitsu

I mean...Nic Cage is just cashing checks to keep his wacky lifestyle going, but that doesn't justify this movie. It opens with some interesting camera work for an extended fight scene, featuring Tony Jaa, and the main character. However, while it was interesting with the transitions between 1st and 3rd person views, it was also incredibly clunky. Like this was some test bed for something bigger. I don't remember them ever using that gimmick for the rest of the movie. It's basically Predator, but a lot worse, and a lot cornier. It was a complete waste of Tony Jaa, who also seems desperate to cash some checks. Frank Grillo continues to pad his resume with shitty movies. This was almost unwatchable for me. I had no interest in any of the characters, nor the world-saving stakes. Just a dreadful film.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Willy's Wonderland - Hulu (US)

A really good purposefully B movie. It's just the right kind of stupid and fun. I don't even know how to rate something like this, but I'd watch it if you can.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Streaming related:

I discovered Tubi, what a gem of a streaming service. Tons of movies and TV shows, they have a "Highly Rated on Rotten Tomatoes" category so you don't have to fuck around, and it has a clean interface. One has to watch ads but there aren't many. It even operates more quickly and has a better search feature than HBO Max or Netflix on both my iPad Pro and Apple TV 4K.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Watched Total Recall, the original, on Netflix last night.

Man, I really wish they would make more movies like that these days.
I can't believe they decided to reboot a movie that might have been cinematic perfection. The reboot was such complete and utter trash. Kinda like the Robocop reboot. That was a complete abortion. Rebooting classic films should be a crime.

Toots

Gold Member
LIke everyone here i watched and was appaled by that huge pile of dung that was the tomorrow war...

Crazy dumb film. Poor Chris Pratt is carrying every conservative christian values on his muscled back. The message about war is borderline schizophrenic. War is bad everyone die and fightining is useless, but at the same time we're gonna make it and it's important to fight cause we can win win win no matter what.

It feels like it was written by some videogame scenarist, someone who's not entirely grasping what it takes to make a good coherent plot... At one point Pratt's daughter is like "i drew this picture daddy, and mommy helped me with the words..." like she's a borderline special needs kid. It is the same character that was quizzed an hour ago by her dad about the molecular composition of air and gave the right answer without "mommy's help".

It's obvious they wanted certain scenes cause it must have been impressive or badass in their head but it just falls flat.
Pratt who deseperatly needs to go back to the future to save his daughter who was last seen falling in a literal sea of monsters who had overrun the last bastion of humanity... What can you save and how you ask? I don't kown but you'll save it with the power of christianity and decent moral principles i guess...

There's also a scene that seems to have been shot in a low tier disneyland Paris ride, with a polystirene cave that look so fake its laughable...

At one point they're on a mission and there's the kind of "combat voiceover" you'll hear in COD or some bullshit ubisoft gameplay presentation (like "blue team on the move", "roger on your six", or some shit like that), and it dawned on me.

Videogames finally caught up with movies, but it was more a matter of movie dumbing it down than videogames rising up...

The movie is so dumb no wonder the aliens were winning
if you have some toxin that can kill all the male monsters why the hell do you not base all your weapons on that stuff?

Anyway i needed to clear my head of that mess, so i watched boss level, which i had heard about and it was the best damn videogame movie i have ever seen! It has its flaws but goddam it was innovative, well thought out and constructed, funny, and exhilarating. Plus bad guy Mel Gibson is always great, and Will Sasso doing funny faces too.
The Osiris stuff was a nice idea, he truly is a living dead man with god-like powers, only just on that particular day.
There was two big fuck ups still, the stuff about loving retro gaming and then they play SF2 HD remix, and the kid who's supposed to be a total street fighter nerd who says hadougen instead of hadouken

Tl;dr : don't watch tomorrow war, go watch boss level

Recently saw “the holiday” for like the 100th time. For some reason it has become the go to feel good movie for me! A very typical rom-com with a predictable story. It’s just perfectly cringe and dorky! 10/10 would recommend

Edit:
Did really my comment become #666? Can’t be a good sign, haha 😂

Last edited:
Gone Baby Gone 7/10
Pretty solid movie with a few dumb plot points.
The cops declare the girl dead after she supposedly feel into the reservoir, even though they didn't find her body because "it's really deep". Get the fuck outta here. And Ed Harris sprinting off with two bullet wounds in the heart area, come on...
I really liked the twist and the ending though and Casey Affleck who normally comes off as douchey in his movies was really good in this one.

Last edited:

Neolombax

Watched The Tomorrow War. It was okay, not as bad as I thought it would be. Sure the plot is insanely dumb. But the action scenes were quite compelling I thought. I guess having watched some of the reviews prepared myself to switch off my brain and just go for the ride.

IDappa

LIke everyone here i watched and was appaled by that huge pile of dung that was the tomorrow war...

Crazy dumb film. Poor Chris Pratt is carrying every conservative christian values on his muscled back. The message about war is borderline schizophrenic. War is bad everyone die and fightining is useless, but at the same time we're gonna make it and it's important to fight cause we can win win win no matter what.

It feels like it was written by some videogame scenarist, someone who's not entirely grasping what it takes to make a good coherent plot... At one point Pratt's daughter is like "i drew this picture daddy, and mommy helped me with the words..." like she's a borderline special needs kid. It is the same character that was quizzed an hour ago by her dad about the molecular composition of air and gave the right answer without "mommy's help".

It's obvious they wanted certain scenes cause it must have been impressive or badass in their head but it just falls flat.
Pratt who deseperatly needs to go back to the future to save his daughter who was last seen falling in a literal sea of monsters who had overrun the last bastion of humanity... What can you save and how you ask? I don't kown but you'll save it with the power of christianity and decent moral principles i guess...

There's also a scene that seems to have been shot in a low tier disneyland Paris ride, with a polystirene cave that look so fake its laughable...

At one point they're on a mission and there's the kind of "combat voiceover" you'll hear in COD or some bullshit ubisoft gameplay presentation (like "blue team on the move", "roger on your six", or some shit like that), and it dawned on me.

Videogames finally caught up with movies, but it was more a matter of movie dumbing it down than videogames rising up...

The movie is so dumb no wonder the aliens were winning
if you have some toxin that can kill all the male monsters why the hell do you not base all your weapons on that stuff?

Anyway i needed to clear my head of that mess, so i watched boss level, which i had heard about and it was the best damn videogame movie i have ever seen! It has its flaws but goddam it was innovative, well thought out and constructed, funny, and exhilarating. Plus bad guy Mel Gibson is always great, and Will Sasso doing funny faces too.
The Osiris stuff was a nice idea, he truly is a living dead man with god-like powers, only just on that particular day.
There was two big fuck ups still, the stuff about loving retro gaming and then they play SF2 HD remix, and the kid who's supposed to be a total street fighter nerd who says hadougen instead of hadouken

Tl;dr : don't watch tomorrow war, go watch boss level
Movie is legit a modern turn your brain off action blockbuster. I think you came into this movie expecting something that wasn't advertised. My recommendation is to go watch both.

MastaKiiLA

Rewatching Hobbs & Shaw right now. I forgot how enjoyable this movie was. I had it rated in my top 5 for the franchise, but I'm reminded of why now. This is a fun movie, in a way that some of the others just aren't anymore. Since they ditched street racing, and went full-on action, they've focused mostly on spectacle, and in that regard, H&S delivers some really good action. It's also got better comedic moments than all the other movies in the franchise. Ryan Reynolds and Kevin Hart are great additions to the cast, and I hope they're present in future sequels. Some sophomoric dick jokes are a negative, but the overall banter is solid in this film. Idris Elba is a great villain for them to face-off against. If they can continue to get strong talent to line these films around the 4-6 core good guys, then I think this spinoff will have strong legs. At least until Statham and Rock age out.

SirTerry-T

I can't believe they decided to reboot a movie that might have been cinematic perfection. The reboot was such complete and utter trash. Kinda like the Robocop reboot. That was a complete abortion. Rebooting classic films should be a crime.
The moral of the story is "Never reboot something Verhoeven did right first time". ;)

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Quiet place 2.
That's like one of the worst, most infuriating movies I've ever seen... and I am usually not too anal about movies but it is so stupid.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Brilliant movie. I should have watched this sooner. Once Amazon comes back online I am ordering the bluray.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Settlers (2021)
Incredibly boring low budget western set on what is supposed to be Mars.The drama is incredibly cliché'd and the science and setting does not make sense at all. I give it an extra point for the cute robot though.

Black Widow (2021)
This movie would be acceptable 30 years ago maybe? Fake Russian accents, mad science guy explaining his plot from a floating fortress, but not fun enough to feel like a hommage. Just stale.

Fear Street Part 1: 1994 (2021)
Was expecting a cool throwback to 90s horror, instead I got an annoying Young Adult turd of a film.

The Tomorrow War (2021)
Possibly the dumbest movie in this selection, and that's quite a feat in itself. The whole premise didn't make a lick of sense, and when Pratt's wife finally suggests what the viewer's been thinking for 90 minutes it is too late and we can't go back to unsee this piece of dribbling crap.

A Quiet Place Part II (2021)
The first fifteen minutes were pretty cool and promising. I'll just leave it at that.

Last edited:
Demolition Man 6/10
The tone is set immediately: Stallone bungee jumps screaming out of a chopper onto a roof with everyone shooting at him.
The movie feels like it wants to be Robocop, and a lot of the satire works, but the action really isn't up to par. A bunch of funny scenes though and Sandra Bullock is super cute.

Being a prop aficionado I had to look up if that ridiculous model of Stallone on ice was still around and sure enough:
j1flP4e.jpg

Settlers (2021)
Incredibly boring low budget western set on what is supposed to be Mars.The drama is incredibly cliché'd and the science and setting does not make sense at all. I give it an extra point for the cute robot though.

Black Widow (2021)
This movie would be acceptable 30 years ago maybe? Fake Russian accents, mad science guy explaining his plot from a floating fortress, but not fun enough to feel like a hommage. Just stale.

Fear Street Part 1: 1994 (2021)
Was expecting a cool throwback to 90s horror, instead I got an annoying Young Adult turd of a film.

The Tomorrow War (2021)
Possibly the dumbest movie in this selection, and that's quite a feat in itself. The whole premise didn't make a lick of sense, and when Pratt's wife finally suggests what the viewer's been thinking for 90 minutes it is too late and we can't go back to unsee this piece of dribbling crap.

A Quiet Place Part II (2021)
The first fifteen minutes were pretty cool and promising. I'll just leave it at that.
Watched the first 2 Fear Streets. Totally agree. It does have more brutal kills than expected, so I guess that's different.

The second movie is a little better with the setting. I just want to say some of the kids brutalized in the movie look 13 years old and idk about that shit. This aint a Shindlers list, half budget Netflix teen shit doesn't get to portray that. The Friday the thirteenth stuff aren't innocent little children, they're hot seniors banging. Didn't feel right.

They also cast some of the ugliest human beings I have seen. It's hilarious how un representative of real life it is. 80 percent of kids at summer camp aren't hills have eyes characters.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
533377-archive-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg

Archive (2020) | Amazon Prime Video US | 1/2

Very few works of fiction are capable of painting emotion and soul onto an artificial lifeform like the creators of this film did with a specific character. The movie is wonderfully shot, interesting, and yet profoundly sad in its way.

xrnzaaas

Till Death wasn't that bad 'trapped in a remote location' flick. Sure the premise of the film was a stretch
the husband dying from cancer or something similar would be more believable
but the execution was decent. The hide & seek bits were okayish and the ending pretty satisfying despite not being very original. I can easily recommend the movie if you liked Gerald's Game or something along those lines.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

I'm a huge sci-fi/fantasy/monster movie fan(always loved em' since being a wee little kid).

The Tomorrow War was fantastic. Sure, the "aliens are attacking Earth" story has been done to death but this film brought a unique spin on the story
and the "white spike" aliens design is incredible. Very strong casting and very likeable characters which helped me "buy into" the movie as well.

the-tomorrow-war-2021.jpg

MastaKiiLA

Decided to revisit some old faves recently.

Lucky Number Slevin

Josh Harnett's best role, as the witty and charming Slevin, who's the wrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time. He gets caught up in a beef between mob bosses, and finds himself down a rabbit hole of lies and secrets. This film has such a crazy good cast. Lucy Liu, Morgan Freeman, Sir Ben Kingley, Stanley Tucci, and more. It's kinda wild when Corey Stoll plays a nameless stooge. This might also be the first film where you see Bruce Willis mailing in a performance behind the guise of a sullen character. The writing in this movie is excellent, especially the dialogue. The dialogue reminds me of Guy Ritchie films. I absolutely love this film. I don't think it gets the credit it deserves.

Life of Pi

Ang Lee makes some gorgeous films. Life of Pi is one of those films I love to look at, just like Crouching Tiger. No matter how many times I see it, I still get emotional about the story this movie tells. The boy trapped on the boat with a tiger is such a great metaphor, and Lee manages to create tension in a story told largely through narration. I don't know if that's ever been the case for me. I'm usually pulled out of the world by the narrator, but not here. Maybe because the crispness of the visuals keep me entranced the whole time. Irrfan Khan is excellent, as is Rafe Spall, and the young Suraj Sharma, who hasn't done anything since that I've remembered. Ang Lee's resume is so weird, with a mix of brilliant epics and laughable try-hards. This is one of those brilliant epics.

INC

Decided to revisit some old faves recently.

Lucky Number Slevin

Josh Harnett's best role, as the witty and charming Slevin, who's the wrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time. He gets caught up in a beef between mob bosses, and finds himself down a rabbit hole of lies and secrets. This film has such a crazy good cast. Lucy Liu, Morgan Freeman, Sir Ben Kingley, Stanley Tucci, and more. It's kinda wild when Corey Stoll plays a nameless stooge. This might also be the first film where you see Bruce Willis mailing in a performance behind the guise of a sullen character. The writing in this movie is excellent, especially the dialogue. The dialogue reminds me of Guy Ritchie films. I absolutely love this film. I don't think it gets the credit it deserves.

Life of Pi

Ang Lee makes some gorgeous films. Life of Pi is one of those films I love to look at, just like Crouching Tiger. No matter how many times I see it, I still get emotional about the story this movie tells. The boy trapped on the boat with a tiger is such a great metaphor, and Lee manages to create tension in a story told largely through narration. I don't know if that's ever been the case for me. I'm usually pulled out of the world by the narrator, but not here. Maybe because the crispness of the visuals keep me entranced the whole time. Irrfan Khan is excellent, as is Rafe Spall, and the young Suraj Sharma, who hasn't done anything since that I've remembered. Ang Lee's resume is so weird, with a mix of brilliant epics and laughable try-hards. This is one of those brilliant epics.

Nah he's great in Sin City and 40 days of night (which is a seriously underrated vampire film)

jonnyp

The Tomorrow War - I don't even know where to begin to explain how stupid and bad this movie is.
Black Widow - Utter garbage

Keihart

Its not far off, the core story is basically the same. Just small things, which considering its Hollywood, arent that bad. Its probably by far the best remake of a manga, from Hollywood
The manga film is like half the run time as well, so of course they've had to padded some story telling
I just hope to god akira live action falls through, Been rumoured for years now
I was so disappointed by the script of Alita, it somehow managed to turn a story of how someone gets disenchanted with the world while growing up into a fucking fairy tale.
The boyfriend was supposed to be a scumbag and his death pathetic, Alita was supposed to feel betrayed by her ideals by the end of the arch but everything gets resolved super well in the movie.

The effects of the movie are cool, but James Cameron is still writing the same script over and over again since Titanic, i don't know what the fuck is up with the dude.

Last edited:
Reactions: INC

Fbh

Un_lugar_tranquilo_2-979721999-mmed.jpg

5/10

First one was fun but rather underwhelming given all the hype it was getting at the time.
This one is pretty much worse in every way. I didn't find the story, horror or suspense very compelling. Splitting up the cast also wasn't a good idea, it's one of those movies where they have 2 things happening in parallel but it would have been better if they would have chosen 1 scenario and just focused on it.
The intro was pretty cool though.

Given how the first one ended I always assumed a sequel was planned. But this one weirdly felt like after the success of 1 they were like "Oh fuck it's really popular...guess we'll have to rush to make a sequel now!".

To be fair I wasn't bored. But it was just a forgettable movie to pass time.

INC

I was so disappointed by the script of Alita, it somehow managed to turn a story of how someone gets disenchanted with the world while growing up into a fucking fairy tale.
The boyfriend was supposed to be a scumbag and his death pathetic, Alita was supposed to feel betrayed by her ideals by the end of the arch but everything gets resolved super well in the movie.

The effects of the movie are cool, but James Cameron is still writing the same script over and over again since Titanic, i don't know what the fuck is up with the dude.

He's better at making follow up sequels to other people films

Lock stock and 2 smoking barrels is better imo, both are great tho

Revolver is a love or hate film, I love ut personally

His sherlock films are also great.
I’ll check it Out let’s see if lock stock and two smoking barrels gets a 4k release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom