• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat: National Tournament | Las Vegas, Nevada | May 14 - May 15, 2011

Arde5643

Dahbomb said:
Having 5-7 characters being tournament viable is still more than enough for this game to be "tournament worthy". That's still more characters than most fighting games including a particular 3v3 FG that released 10 years ago.

And game is still new, there is a lot of undiscovered stuff in the game. Tier list will get shifted and other characters might come up. Technology will be found that might single-handedly shift the tier list around.

I think the bigger problem is the amount of people asking for instant patches. Pretty sure this is most people's first experience watching high level fighting game streams or getting into the scene because let me assure you... having knee jerk patches for fighting games is a bad idea and will pretty much stunt the growth of it's competitive scene. It will not have a chance to evolve and get to where there is true high level play.

If you rebalance those 3, then the next 3 after them become a "problem". Would you nerf them too? Then the next 3 become more powerful than the rest and it's a cycle until you end at the original 3 who by now are back to being the most powerful because everyone else got nerfed to shit.

If anything, keep Cyrax, Kung Lao, Raiden the way they are and buff the lower end of the cast. Watching these 3 characters fight is far more interesting than watching the lower tiered characters (well I like watching a few others like Kabal).
Not the way they're being played right now.

The current crop of players playing Kung Lao, Raiden and Cyrax (with bomb trap gimmick) right now plays them exactly the same way.

I prefer top tier characters like Ermac, Smoke, or Cage - top characters for sure but with weaknesses to go along with it.

Neither those three characters have any sort of abusable weaknesses and that's just boring.

sleepykyo

Arde5643 said:
Not the way they're being played right now.

The current crop of players playing Kung Lao, Raiden and Cyrax (with bomb trap gimmick) right now plays them exactly the same way.

I prefer top tier characters like Ermac, Smoke, or Cage - top characters for sure but with weaknesses to go along with it.

Neither those three characters have any sort of abusable weaknesses and that's just boring.

In the end is the sponsors that determine whether the game is pro tournament worthy anyway. I'm more interested in seeing how many people are playing after Evo (I think that is the last large sponsored pot).

Arde5643

I always love it whenever cheap ass characters like Raiden and Kung Lao lose - especially to chars like Kabal that requires actual skill to use.

AAK

sleepykyo said:
In the end is the sponsors that determine whether the game is pro tournament worthy anyway. I'm more interested in seeing how many people are playing after Evo (I think that is the last large sponsored pot).

NamcoBandai and Aksys continue to sponsor Tekken 6 and Blazblue's prize pot, I definitely see WB doing the same for major tournaments.

sleepykyo

Arde5643 said:
I always love it whenever cheap ass characters like Raiden and Kung Lao lose - especially to chars like Kabal that requires actual skill to use.

Not to dispute whether or not Kabal, but keep in mind as the commentator mentioned that frame advantage loop is gone.

h3ro

Arde5643 said:

Kung Lao and Christopher Lambert take plenty of skill at this level. Do they have advantages over the other characters? Yeah, but to say that you can make Top 16 among these killers with no "actual skill" is wrong.

Kadey, go ease MM's pain.

Wallach

I'm rooting for this Sochettra Math guy now that MM is out.

Also Kabal ain't exactly low/mid tier, especially in this version.

Arde5643

Wallach said:
I'm rooting for this Sochettra Math guy now that MM is out.

Also Kabal ain't exactly low/mid tier, especially in this version.
Kabal's definitely not S tier or even anywhere in top tier in this version unlike in UMK3.

He's closer to upper mid tier due to his weaknesses: the lack of damage, lack of zoning, and teleport move.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
jN7Yv.gif

Wallach

Arde5643 said:
Kabal's definitely not S tier or even anywhere in top tier in this version unlike in UMK3.

He's closer to upper mid tier due to his weaknesses: the lack of damage, lack of zoning, and teleport move.

For sure he's not what he was in UMK3. I could see him settling near the top end of mid tier, as his damage is consistent, but not amazing. I think his zoning game is better off than some guys, not his biggest problem. He's got enough options that not having a real teleport doesn't hurt him as bad as other characters (similar to Cage).

TBH I think he is in better shape than Cyrax once they pull the bomb trap setup.

sleepykyo

Spirit of Jazz said:
Winners:

PL
Wong
LI Joe
Trophy Club

Losers:

Floe
Fubar
Scrub that beat markman by mashing jab dp and then another when Markman tries to whiff punish
Kabal

All hail Ken Lao, who plays second fiddle to the main hero in the storyline, but beloved by mashers everywhere (myself included assuming I'll ever get to play MK online).

sleepykyo said:
All hail Ken Lao, who plays second fiddle to the main hero in the storyline, but beloved by mashers everywhere (myself included assuming I'll ever get to play MK online).

Ken Lao's EX shoryuken is godlike.

NEO0MJ

Wallach said:
For sure he's not what he was in UMK3. I could see him settling near the top end of mid tier, as his damage is consistent, but not amazing. I think his zoning game is better off than some guys, not his biggest problem. He's got enough options that not having a real teleport doesn't hurt him as bad as other characters (similar to Cage).

Nice thing about his cutter projectile is that it hits behind him, protecting him from teleporters. Not sure how useful it is against pro players, though.

Spirit of Jazz said:
Winners:

PL (Kung Lao)
Wong (Kung Lao)
LI Joe (Ermac, Cyrax)
Trophy Club (Cyrax)

Losers:

Floe (Ermac)
Fubar (Raiden)
Scrub that beat markman (Kung Lao)
MichaelAngelo (Kabal)
Just adding characters

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Omg the guy thanked based god, and the dude in the background was cooking.

TrophyClub now first in running to win the tournament, because he's been blessed.

Top Bottom