• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat: National Tournament | Las Vegas, Nevada | May 14 - May 15, 2011

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GhostRidah said:
1:21:10 for the start of Perfect Legend / Marn trying to get some loving lmao

Mostly posting this so I remember the times for future viewing lol
I missed this yesterday holy shit I'm in tears. The Honda shirt. Rush that. The Penis in the asshole line.

How does Marn not know what a Mudkip is? And Wong not know who Lil B is? This is gold.

Anyone got a timestamp on UltraDrunk?

luffeN

GrayFoxPL said:
Can someone point me to the Markman matches? It's recorded on teams pooky but there's like 6 hours of footage.
If you have the patience just skip the video every three minutes :p

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
UltraDavid is at 1:56:00 or so. Is that Markman at 1:44:00 or so in the next video?! Where has all the facial hair gone?

sleepykyo

Ultradavid must have amazing livers. Downed one of those 3lb liquor bongs, and later on you could hear the commentators talking about Ultradavid got another one.

Dai101

Banned
Stream just started

j5gwF.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
VisionaryQuest0 said:
Is it confirmed to say Mortal Kombat is officially pro-tournament caliber?

Watching these players wreck shop with these characters is awesome.
Well you wonder why the best selling fighting game franchise took this long to get its proper "in" into pro-gaming. And part of the reason why is pretty subjective, considering the quality of releases in the past.

Regardless, NRS is rolling in money.

Arde5643

VisionaryQuest0 said:
Is it confirmed to say Mortal Kombat is officially pro-tournament caliber?

Watching these players wreck shop with these characters is awesome.
Not yet - right now it seems that there are only very few characters that are considered tourney worthy over everyone else (Raiden, Cyrax and Kung Lao obviously - probably Ermac, Sub Zero, and Nightwolf as well).

If only 5-7 characters out of the roster are playable in high tier tourneys than it probably won't go much on tourneys from now on.

Although with the patch coming out, it might be different altogether.

They really need to rebalance Raiden, Cyrax and Kung Lao though - I'm just afraid of everyone going to these 3 whenever their actual mains get in trouble since these 3 characters are so easy to use.

fernoca

enzo_gt said:
Are we in top 16?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see that we are. Is there an online bracket anywhere?
Been looking for one, but no luck. :/

I missed yesterday's and it seems that the only way to get everyone name's, order, results, etc. was to watch the entire stream...which I missed. Managed to update the thread because of the posts in here, since I haven't seen many forums/places posting things.

Wallach

Arde5643 said:
Not yet - right now it seems that there are only very few characters that are considered tourney worthy over everyone else (Raiden, Cyrax and Kung Lao obviously - probably Ermac, Sub Zero, and Nightwolf as well).

If only 5-7 characters out of the roster are playable in high tier tourneys than it probably won't go much on tourneys from now on.

They really need to rebalance Raiden, Cyrax and Kung Lao though - I'm just afraid of everyone going to these 3 whenever their actual mains get in trouble since these 3 characters are so easy to use.

Cyrax isn't even that great. His main strength is a gimmick which wasn't really intentional and you'll find it removed in the next patch. He'll probably settle near the top of mid tier with it gone. Raiden and Kung Lao on the other hand are definitely competing near the top. Not an unreasonable gap, though, and they aren't the only "competitive" characters in the game.

MarkMan said:
:) sorry I don't take orders easily!

Man he bitched out! Glad you beat his ass. Quan Chi don't appreciate flakes.

Unicorn

Arde5643 said:

5-7 is a good number, if that's what it stays at.

Most fighting games have a smaller high-top tier list.

sleepykyo

Unicorn said:
5-7 is a good number, if that's what it stays at.

Most fighting games have a smaller high-top tier list.

5-7. It was pretty much Cyrax, Raiden and Kung Lao. Unless looser standards are being applied to MK.

ie. Applying those standards SSF4 has Honda, Balrog, Bison, Guile, Viper, Cammy, Rose, Akuma, Rufus, Ryu, Adon and Ken in the high top tier.

Khezu

I'm sad about the lack of reptiles, is sabin and thtb the only people that play him? THey make reptile look amazing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Khezu said:
I'm sad about the lack of reptiles, is sabin and thtb the only people that play him? THey make reptile look amazing.
The PowerUp MK Tourney was like 50% Reptiles.

Arde5643

sleepykyo said:
Think Chris G also plays Reptile.
Reptile also seems pretty top tier, although he kinda seems a bit balanced.

Though I hope they dial down a bit on the damage of force ball combos - the damage gets a bit too ridiculous at times.

Dahbomb

Arde5643 said:

Having 5-7 characters being tournament viable is still more than enough for this game to be "tournament worthy". That's still more characters than most fighting games including a particular 3v3 FG that released 10 years ago.

And game is still new, there is a lot of undiscovered stuff in the game. Tier list will get shifted and other characters might come up. Technology will be found that might single-handedly shift the tier list around.

I think the bigger problem is the amount of people asking for instant patches. Pretty sure this is most people's first experience watching high level fighting game streams or getting into the scene because let me assure you... having knee jerk patches for fighting games is a bad idea and will pretty much stunt the growth of it's competitive scene. It will not have a chance to evolve and get to where there is true high level play.

If you rebalance those 3, then the next 3 after them become a "problem". Would you nerf them too? Then the next 3 become more powerful than the rest and it's a cycle until you end at the original 3 who by now are back to being the most powerful because everyone else got nerfed to shit.

If anything, keep Cyrax, Kung Lao, Raiden the way they are and buff the lower end of the cast. Watching these 3 characters fight is far more interesting than watching the lower tiered characters (well I like watching a few others like Kabal).

Top Bottom