• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 11 female characters were purposely made less sexual according to NetherRealms.

Dunki

Pressured from who though? The journalist isn't in the room with the dev teams. So who exactly is pressuring them?
pressure by bad pblicity. Like they did with Hotline miami. In the end the developer got so pressured that they had to do it optional. Tomb Raider Rape scandal which was not even worth being outraged in the end. ournlaists just pile together like a fucking hate mob to accuse the developers of sexism and racism because they do not like how the games, plays etc. These fucking idiots are not even interested in games anymore but rather in politics and agenda driven bullshit. But since they are too stupid to become real journalists they are trying to push their crazy and idiotic views in this industry.

And I hope in a few years they are all dead ( in a professional way). And Publishers have already seen how streamers and influencers are way more effective than these idiots who you can not please anyway.

And even more. They are fucking hypocrites always trying to act like they are superior in morals and opinions while in reality they make rape jokes fucking Kindergarten signs or taking creepy pictures of women like Patrick rape face Klepek as a prime example..

Last edited:
I have no issues with the Characters designs in MK11 from what I’ve seen so far. Big fan of the Noob design.

And I understand why you’d armor up. But why just the women and not the men?

Not exactly wearing much in real life
000_hkg10230977.jpg

Neither are the men
ufc158_12_gsp_diaz_69-jpg.png

Why have only the women armor up in MK11?

oq36qou9a3821.png

CassieCage-1.jpg

Then again with how heavy the micro transactions will be, the player will probably have the options to unarmor all fighters.

lock2k

Banned
I love how people say it's not realistic to fight with skimpy clothes but being a skull under a hood and spitting fire and teleporting like crazy is TOTALLY realistic. Fucking prudes ruining the western world. All hail Japan!

Paracelsus

I think this could be even worse than the censorship, it's like, so silly and dishonest.

tl;dr I'm gonna spill her guts out, cut her legs and her head in half but I'm gonna feel sorry for it because woman.

AmUm8cx.png

I downloaded the pics so there's no point in deleting his tweet.

Xenon

I don't really give a shit, but there is something wrong with a more conservative (pun intended) Mortal Kombat. The funny part is once Anita got people on board with the feminist outlook, she immediately tried to attack gaming violence. So people cheering this need to consider that.

The series has always been about over the top everything. How somebody can claim that this wasn't about social pressure is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
It is really, really telling that most accounts OK with whatever takes the pleasure from straight males were created before 2017....

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think this could be even worse than the censorship, it's like, so silly and dishonest.

tl;dr I'm gonna spill her guts out, cut her legs and her head in half but I'm gonna feel sorry for it because woman.

AmUm8cx.png

I downloaded the pics so there's no point in deleting his tweet.

Really dude? Like really? You call that censorship?

I don't really give a shit, but there is something wrong with a more conservative (pun intended) Mortal Kombat. The funny part is once Anita got people on board with the feminist outlook, she immediately tried to attack gaming violence. So people cheering this need to consider that.

The series has always been about over the top everything. How somebody can claim that this wasn't about social pressure is ridiculous.

I don't think many people here that are okay with the current clothing in MK11 give a crap about Anita and her agenda. Who cares about that lady? I don't.

Last edited:
"How dare this developer make up their own mind about the way they choose to portray women! We only defend a developer's artistic decisions when they validate our bias."

There is so much mental gymnastics going on that it boggles the mind.

Some common misconceptions about moves like this:
1. Not putting a woman in a bikini while she fights is not the same as being afraid of sexuality.
2. Not putting a woman in a bikini while she fights does not automatically make that woman ugly or plain.
3. Not putting a woman in a bikini while she fights does not mean that developers don't want to make their female characters attractive.
4. Putting a woman in a bikini while she fights with YOU being okay with it does not somehow make you more enlightened and less sexist.
5. Knowing women who are okay with women fighting in bikinis does not make YOU right when you rail against a perceived SJW agenda.
6. Fighting tooth and nail for your right to enjoy female dolls designed for your amusement is not somehow better simply because it conforms with what used to be the status quo.

Get used to change, haters. If you want to be genuine about your shock, you're going to have to choose a more substantive side to stand on because defending artistic choice only when it means you get to see boobs doesn't hold water.

"How dare this developer make up their own mind about the way they choose to portray women! We only defend a developer's artistic decisions when they validate our bias."
The people complaining are the very people that have bought Mortal Kombat games over the years, which is the only reason they get to make Mortal Kombat 11. How dare they be annoyed that they are being ignored on this matter and that the franchise they helped build is getting highjacked by people who are afraid of sexuality and call for it's eradication from all media.

There is so much mental gymnastics going on that it boggles the mind.
You've been taking lessons.

Some common misconceptions about moves like this:
1. Not putting a MAKE BELIEVE woman in a bikini while she fights is not the same as being afraid of sexuality. Correct, it's being afraid of outrage from people who are afraid or sexuality instead of catering to long-term fans.
2. Not putting a MAKE BELIEVE woman in a bikini while she fights does not automatically make that woman ugly or plain. Correct, they also give them more square proportions and outright break the face models, creating characters that in no way resemble the characters from the earlier games.
3. Not putting a MAKE BELIEVE woman in a bikini while she fights does not mean that developers don't want to make their female characters attractive. Correct, they artists likely did want to make them attractive but the creative director told them no because a small group of people are afraid of sexuality.
4. Putting a MAKE BELIEVE woman in a bikini while she fights with YOU being okay with it does not somehow make you more enlightened and less sexist. Correct, because nobody is being either. Apparently enjoying the female form is now considered sexist despite it being a completely natural thing. Entitled, maybe, but again this is the group that made Mortal Kombat a success.
5. Knowing women who are okay with MAKE BELIEVE women fighting in bikinis does not make YOU right when you rail against a perceived SJW agenda. Correct, regardless of SJW agendas I am always within my right to express concern regarding matters and I should feel free to express those rights without people judging me for it.
6. Fighting tooth and nail for your right to enjoy MAKE BELIEVE female dolls designed for your amusement is not somehow better simply because it conforms with what used to be the status quo. Correct, but nobody is fighting for the status quo. Ratings and content awareness boards exist now to inform people about content, the status quo already changed. If I still choose to buy a product with sexual content, that is my choice as an adult. People are creating pressure to erase all sexuality from games despite there already being measures in place to protect the people that are so afraid of sexuality.

Get used to change, haters People who have preferences that differ from yours are all haters. If you want to be genuine about your shock, you're going to have to choose a more substantive side to stand on because defending artistic choice only when it means you get to see boobs doesn't hold water. Because you get to decide what is import to everyone.

Artistic choice means jack shit if nobody wants your artistic choice. Get used to seeing virtue-signalling studios that abandon their own fanbase continue to perform poorly. They've already tried to fix some of the ugly-stick'ed characters based on fan backlash so obviously "artistic choice" isn't al there is to this. Boiling down people's complaint to "boobs" is narrow-minded. Today a small group of people successfully helped remove attractive women from a video game, feather in their caps, now what is their next target for outrage? Removing fatalities? Removing any violence? It's bad enough they complain only of the poor women and don't seem to care that a giant Russian man in red gitch is flying through the air with a woman's face smashed against his dick doing a piledriver. They don't care because they actually genuinely don't care, they're just making a scene for the attention.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I have no issues with the Characters designs in MK11 from what I’ve seen so far. Big fan of the Noob design.

And I understand why you’d armor up. But why just the women and not the men?

Not exactly wearing much in real life
000_hkg10230977.jpg

Neither are the men
ufc158_12_gsp_diaz_69-jpg.png

Why have only the women armor up in MK11?

oq36qou9a3821.png

CassieCage-1.jpg

Then again with how heavy the micro transactions will be, the player will probably have the options to unarmor all fighters.
i respect the amount of effort you put into this discussion.
devs are full off shit just stop even trying to show how they are wrong.
it is pointless.

Dacon

Banned
At least wrastling still knows how to party.

giphy.gif

OMFG that's hilarious.

some of 11's female designs are absolutely excellent, and the alts are still sexy

mk9/10 designs were kinda sleazy and lazy, they knew they could do better and they did

and the faces are significantly better, more feminine

mk11-skarlet.jpg

Yeah but I feel like MK11 goes way too far to try and cover up the women. There is a happy medium. Like Sonya in MK3, KItana, Mileena and Cassie in MKX.

You can have sexy designs without it being over the top and laughable. Hell look at Injustice 2. The females in that game are very attractive but not exploitative so.

I'm just gonna quote myself from the other thread for good measure:

Many gamers pointed out that it seemed odd that the women were so covered up in Mortal Kombat 11, compared to the 25 year history of NetherRealm indulging in creating scantily-clad femme fatales.

This is the crux of the entire issue really. If MK always presented women like MK11 people wouldnt be complaining. I also find the amount of female cosplayers complaining about how boring MK11 designs are to be hilarious.
“Our character lead, Brendan George, has been a breath of fresh air of just introducing new ideas. Our design is just getting more mature and respectful. You’re not going to wear a bikini to a fight. You’re not going to be showing so much skin. I think it’s just what the game is about: You’re going in to fight for your life, and you’re not going to be wearing such scantily clad items.

What? Johnny, Baraka, Kotal, Shao Kahn, Liu Kang and Kano are all walking around their tits and their guts exposed. No one is really wearing any armor.

"Respectful".

Ok, guess the scores of female MK fans who have been cosplaying these characters for years have no respect for themselves.

Last edited:
I really do hope the Kabal image is a fluke and not evidence Mortal Kombat as a franchise has sunk to the point, where its developers now worry about whether male characters are showing pleasure while killing the female cast. It seems like a completely unnecessary design choice, but if that's the game it wants to be, at least people are getting a heads-up.

lock2k

Banned
I usually think to myself, could I play this in front of my wife and not look like a creepy pervert? If the answer is no, then I usually don't buy the game.

What a sad life. My wife knows I take pride in my appreciation of T&A. We watch many shows together and the more sex and violence, the merrier. No shame at all.

Paracelsus

Is that what you see in the 2nd image?

It's not what he sees, it's what it is. Sadistic gloating face with men, awkward almost sympathetic face with women.
They couldn't have a different fatality (like a single stab through the heart or neck snap which would dispatch the enemy with less pain) because the whole team would get fired by twitter and resetera, so they went for the stupid ass different face despite the identical atrocious brutality in display.

Last edited:

Closer

It's nice to see all those WWE/MMA fighters fight to their death while crushing their oponent's skulls and whatnots.

lock2k

Banned
It's not what he sees, it's what it is. Sadistic gloating face with men, awkward almost sympathetic face with women.
They couldn't have a different fatality (like a single stab through the heart or neck snap which would dispatch the enemy with less pain) because the whole team would get fired by twitter and resetera, so they went for the stupid ass different face despite the identical atrocious brutality in display.

#notmykabal

MK3 Kabal would whoop the ass of stupid SJW Kabal.

mckmas8808

You see not the difference expression? Smiling while feeling more sad? Really?

I see a difference, but the pic of him killing the woman doesn't look "sad" to me. He just looks like he cares less. Like it doesn't affect him that he's killing this chick. Whereas, with the guy he seems to be angry at him.

Could you rationalize the difference please, why did devs even bother creating different expression for different victim genders, to begin with?

Above. But I'm not 100% sure we know what we are looking at. I'd like to see these two scenes in gif form. Because honestly to me, it looks like the killing of the man is a frame or two further along in the animation. I'm not convinced yet that the facial expressions will be different.

Last edited:

PaulBizkit

It really doesn't matter. Between overly sexy and overly ugly, I would always prefer sexy; but mainstream markets are more benefitted from overly ugly since now more women are interested in games, and having bimbos in bikinis is not very relatable to them

Xenon

I don't think many people here that are okay with the current clothing in MK11 give a crap about Anita and her agenda. Who cares about that lady? I don't.

Thats my point. Youre fine with things but it's not going to stop with this. I dont really care for fan-service, but I see no harm in a game like MK. Not every game has to align with every ones sensibilities. While some woman may have a problem with MK there are many who don't. But the industry is starting to use some bulk template on good character design when making female characters and it most likely wont stop with this. Two years from now this could be seen as too much. Then people may start to think the game is too violent. So lets tone that down as well. Again it's more about a general standard being applied across all of gaming.

For me the game lacked variety with all T&A and this would have been a great opportunity to mix it up a bit. Instead they tucked their tail between their legs like a bitch and nerfed the games historic aesthetic to please people who will never be pleased.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Mortal Kombat’s keys to success was never based on sexyness, they were based off its gruesome fatalities.

Fbh

You know who has long hair and doesn't show too much skin?:

Smoke.jpg

Now where the fuck is he NR?

On topic though. It's their game and the sexy designs have never been the main appeal IMO, so while I find most of the female designs in this bad (outside of Jade) it's not affecting my purchase decision. That said, the whole take some people have on here that this is totally NRs idea and is completely unrelated to the twitter outrages and the current climate of extreme political correctness are kidding themselves.
Their explanation itself already shows this: "It's not realistic to wear a bikini to a fight"... in the game where like half of the dudes are naked from the waist up and you have people literally getting their leg bones broken only to stand up and continue fighting like nothing happened

Last edited:

MacReady13

In western society? Yes.

I can't explain this, but my 4 year old is happy to sit down with me to watch The Terminator or Robocop (original) as myself and my wife allow our kids to watch anything we watch. The violence doesn't bother him at all, yet show 2 people kissing on screen and he puts his head down to cover his eyes...

Jubenhimer

I honestly prefered Koei Tecmo's response to when they did the same thing in DoA6. The reason they downplayed the sexuality was so that according to them, the game can be taken more seriously as an e-sports fighter. Which, makes sense, you don't want a ton of distractions when cash is at stake. Even then, the sexy stuff isn't gone completely either. I feel like NRS' response feels like they're caving to third wave feminist PC movements because they feel obligated to, not because it makes the game better.

I see quite a few users suggesting this new form of censorship is being implemented bc of some SJW complaining. While that may be true - how much of WB/NR is owned by Chinese companies? Does China have its red fingers in this? I wouldn't be surprised. Chinese censorship seems to be creeping into many "western" entertainment media recently.

mckmas8808

Thats my point. Youre fine with things but it's not going to stop with this. I dont really care for fan-service, but I see no harm in a game like MK. Not every game has to align with every ones sensibilities. While some woman may have a problem with MK there are many who don't. But the industry is starting to use some bulk template on good character design when making female characters and it most likely wont stop with this. Two years from now this could be seen as too much. Then people may start to think the game is too violent. So lets tone that down as well. Again it's more about a general standard being applied across all of gaming.

For me the game lacked variety with all T&A and this would have been a great opportunity to mix it up a bit. Instead they tucked their tail between their legs like a bitch and nerfed the games historic aesthetic to please people who will never be pleased.

This is exactly where I stand. The bolded. I think they went too far by making all the ladies super covered up. I good mix would be best. Like Millenia (has she been stated to be in the game yet) can't be super covered up. It's literally part of her character to be sexy.

And Sonya never dressed overly sexy in the past games, so I'm not sure why they tailored her back at all to be honest.

Eiknarf

Banned
Wait. I thought Dead or Alive 6 was the fighting game where the developers said they were purposely making the females less sexy?

Is it both now?

PaulBizkit

I can't explain this, but my 4 year old is happy to sit down with me to watch The Terminator or Robocop (original) as myself and my wife allow our kids to watch anything we watch. The violence doesn't bother him at all, yet show 2 people kissing on screen and he puts his head down to cover his eyes...

lol that's kind of adorable.
Me and my 4 year-old niece were watching Wreck-it-ralph during the last family reunion and when Felix and the blonde soldier woman kissed she looked at me laughing in shame covering half of her face. So yeah, we dont convey our standards correctly

brap

Banned
They want the homosexual audience. Expect a Kano S&M costume soon. Always weird to me how people act like this. WWE is PG wrestling yet the women aren't wearing bodysuits. I mean is this sexualized? Like really? Do these dudes get upset by literally 90% of women (even the fat ones) wearing tiny ass shorts in the summer?
20161101_match_survivorseries_sd_women_3-75e0b2a2a0f8674d604deeb8c11dab95-1488587721-800.jpg

CatCouch

I already posted my thoughts about this from an artists point of view in another topic so I'll just link that here.

I think this is partly a weird form of PR that may be trying to prevent sites like Polygon from creating drama. It seems weird to me that anybody would want to promote their game by saying some fans will be disappointed.

The statements here are not that different from Shimbori when he was saying Dead Or Alive 6 would be toned down. Both the MK11 and DOA6 have statements that some fans will be disappointed now. I suspect that they are told to say stuff like this.

Saying nothing at all is much better than taking a stance against some fans. Considering the popularity of cosplay and fan art it seems weird to bring this up as it will just cause more division among fans. Just what we need, right?

It doesn't look to be true, anyway. DOA6 did not tone down despite all the months of interviews saying otherwise and MK11 has lots of skin showing on male characters which doesn't match the statements about not showing skin. I wouldn't be surprised if there are classic outfits and more skin showing for the women in the game that they are just not showing.

Last edited:

Basketball

Lmfao "you're not going to wear a bikini to a fight"

Yeah you're probably not going to ever rip someone's face off their skull in a fight either, but you're trying to entertain people here aren't you? Yeah definitely not buying this.
Or kick someone's nuts so hard their skull pops out.

Eiknarf

Banned
Initially but they backtracked on it closer to release.

Are you positive?
Before you replied I did a search and saw at least three reviews between March 1 through 6th that explained that either the default outfits are less sexy or the attire is more restrictive (I think referring to “the bounce”). I also read that breast sizes were reduced for DOA5, so maybe the breast sizes are back to normal/large again for 6, but that it is indeed a tiny bit less sexy on purpose.

Either way, I don’t plan on buying either. I was just curious what was going on because that’s now TWO fighting games purposely steering away from sexiness

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Why do people act as if instagram doesn't exist?
Is feeling your body is sexy somehow demeaning?
Or is it disliking others because they look better?

"Actual" Meleena:

iu

cosplay:

iu
iu
iu
iu
But those are unrealistic depictions and completely unattainable by real women.
Hey I think I know the second and last one

Kitana
k4skrm26a2r01.png

Last edited:
Before you replied I did a search and saw at least three reviews between March 1 through 6th that explained that either the default outfits are less sexy or the attire is more restrictive (I think referring to “the bounce”). I also read that breast sizes were reduced for DOA5, so maybe the breast sizes are back to normal/large again for 6, but that it is indeed a tiny bit less sexy on purpose.
The character's default outfits are all fairly tame and presumably made to take into consideration tournament streaming. More revealing and/or classic outfits are available, but need to be unlocked. The female character's jiggle is tied to the outfit, with the default costumes offering little-to-no movement. As for chest size, some of the characters, like Ayane, do appear smaller.

Top Bottom