• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Mass Effect 3 details [Planet Aesthetics Detailed, Verdict On Space Battles]

Gvaz

Banned
McNum said:
I probably missed something, but it IS an interesting omission in the previous two games, isn't it?
They couldn't jump in because the Protheans fixed the keepers to not respond to the codes after the reapers invaded. That's why Sovereign was looking for someone who could get inside and do his dirty work, which was the idea of it.

Also Saren's arm was geth technology, not reaper. However, with Saren being indoctrinated, it's not a far stretch that he also let Sovereign operate on him at points.

Additionally, it's not a far stretch to think that TIM and Shepard have reaper tech in them. Look at their eyes, look at their scarring and how it reacts to them, look at Shepard being able to resist poisons that'd kill a man, etc.

I don't know about TIM being indoctrinated, but in the (shitty) books, he was playing around with reaper technology. Reaper technology, all of it indoctrinates you or tries to. They're living machines, a lot like the geth.

McNum

Gvaz said:
They couldn't jump in because the Protheans fixed the keepers to not respond to the codes after the reapers invaded. That's why Sovereign was looking for someone who could get inside and do his dirty work, which was the idea of it.
I know, it's not the omission I was thinking of. To make a Mass Relay Jump, you need TWO relays. One at the start of your jump and one at the end of your jump. All long ranged relays are paired, only shorter range relays can target multiple other relays. The Citadel reaches beyond the edge of the galaxy, so it's most likely a twinned Relay. What is the Citadel's twin? (And do we get to blow that up? A relay of that size would blow up good.)

We know that the Citadel can be activated manually, as that was Sovereign's plan so why couldn't Shepard fire it up and hit the Reapers in the rear? Who knows, maybe there's something useful out there.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Lostconfused said:
He is at least partly effect by indoctrination during the first contact war. That's when he gets those robot eyes and what not.

It gave him the eyes and some knowledge, but the final pages of the comic make it clear he's damn determined to put a stop to whatever alien species is behind the artifacts. So I think in ME2 he's shady sure but genuine in his attempts to stop the Reapers. In 3 the arrival of the Reapers may trigger the true indoctrination, but I'm hoping the reason is more complicated than that. If he did a 180 in allegiance I doubt the rest of Cerberus would blindly follow.

pmj

As the reapers seem to be able to simply fly from wherever they like to hang out to our galaxy in a few years, taking out the citadel's twin relay seems kind of pointless.

McNum

pmj said:
As the reapers seem to be able to simply fly from wherever they like to hang out to our galaxy in a few years, taking out the citadel's twin relay seems kind of pointless.
Depends on what it does, yes, but if all is lost, it's a magnificent "Fuck you!" to the Reapers.

Mainly, I just want to see the Citadel Relay fired up to see what it looks like, though.

McNum said:
I know, it's not the omission I was thinking of. To make a Mass Relay Jump, you need TWO relays. One at the start of your jump and one at the end of your jump. All long ranged relays are paired, only shorter range relays can target multiple other relays. The Citadel reaches beyond the edge of the galaxy, so it's most likely a twinned Relay. What is the Citadel's twin? (And do we get to blow that up? A relay of that size would blow up good.)

We know that the Citadel can be activated manually, as that was Sovereign's plan so why couldn't Shepard fire it up and hit the Reapers in the rear? Who knows, maybe there's something useful out there.

Why would they need to blow it up they're already gonna have to take the Reapers down?

Also the reapers don't need many resources once they are built, the Citadel's counterpart is in the space between galaxies, and I doubt there is anything inside the counterpart because it was never made to be used by tiny organics.

Gvaz

Banned
McNum said:

No, not necessarily. The Omega Relay jumps you to a point in space. That's why you needed the IFF codes so that it would "listen to your ship" and not send you hurtling into debris. That is also why it's "a one way trip"

pmj said:

No. Having the citadel set up, it means they could just jump right into the center. By turning off the Mass Relay, means they have to get to the nearest relay on the edge of the galaxy (like in Arrival) They were moving in normal space for this (or lightspeed or whathaveyou) which is why the point was to blow it up. It makes them have to change course to the NEXT nearest relay. They can still reach the core that way, but by jumping straight into the citadel, they can fuck any and all forms of government turning the galaxy into hysterical anarchies.

Gvaz said:
No, not necessarily. The Omega Relay jumps you to a point in space. That's why you needed the IFF codes so that it would "listen to your ship" and not send you hurtling into debris. That is also why it's "a one way trip"

Speaking of which, how does the Normandy 2 get back to normal space from the center of the Galaxy so easily?

They just go to warp drive while surrounded by exploding suns and black holes? :/

IoCaster

Vamphuntr said:
Jack is back? Space bigot and Borinko are now Spectre? Illusive man indoctrinated? I'm not pleased by these new developments.

Seems they lowered the criteria for becoming a spectre. Plot dangerously approaching fan fiction level.

huh?

The plot got catapulted across the absurdity event horizon within the first ten minutes of ME2. I think that it's beyond redemption at this point.

They went from a middling, sci-fi mass market paperback story in ME to a comic book level narrative for the sequel. Complete with "cutscene power to the max" and wacky sidekicks in skintight super hero costumes. It's hard to take them seriously when they've done everything possible to shit on their own story and cheesed the fuck out of it with wild abandon.

It's mystifying to me how they wasted such an opportunity to explore the setting and create a compelling three part saga. There's this huge galaxy full of exotic alien cultures and a machine god species hellbent on exterminating all sentient life. Why they decided to focus so much of the trilogy/story on a totally incompetent human-centric terrorist organization is incomprehensible to me. This is literally the "gang that couldn't shoot straight".

As far as ME3 is concerned, I'm just hoping for some good TPS combat and a chance to kill TIM before the clock runs out on the galaxy. *shrug*

Gvaz

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Speaking of which, how does the Normandy 2 get back to normal space from the center of the Galaxy so easily?

They just go to warp drive while surrounded by exploding suns and black holes? :/
*shrugs*

Dunno.

Nils said:
It gave him the eyes and some knowledge, but the final pages of the comic make it clear he's damn determined to put a stop to whatever alien species is behind the artifacts. So I think in ME2 he's shady sure but genuine in his attempts to stop the Reapers. In 3 the arrival of the Reapers may trigger the true indoctrination, but I'm hoping the reason is more complicated than that. If he did a 180 in allegiance I doubt the rest of Cerberus would blindly follow.
Really? Absolutely nothing happened in ME2 that affects the Reapers in any significant way. Only the events of arrival are relevant and they only delayed the invasion by a few months. Either TIM is extremely incompetent or stopping them isn't the motivation here.

Edit: I really need to write down "Just don't think about it" and stick note and put it on the monitor. Maybe chant it like a mantra or something. I don't see any other way of dealing with the plot of mass effect.

IoCaster

Crewnh said:
The fuck is that supposed to mean?

There was a total lack of non-sensical 'resurrection' bullshit in ME. Every squad member wore armor and enclosed protective gear in seemingly hostile environments. The story attempted to take itself seriously in ME. There weren't any goofy 'super-hero' cutscenes like taking down three Ymir mechs bare-handed and so on.

In ME2 they took it to a comic book level of <<<BANG>>>, <<<CRUNCH>>> and <<<KAPOW>>> in cutscenes that was not reflected in actual ability. Not to mention the crackwhore skintight catsuits on Miranda and Samara. I'm not even going to try and comprehend whatever the fuck that titty-strap Jack is wearing is supposed to convey. It's hard for me to take that shit seriously.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Lostconfused said:
Really? Absolutely nothing happened in ME2 that effects the Reapers in any significant way. Only the events of arrival are relevant and they only delayed the invasion by a few months. Either TIM is extremely incompetent or stopping them isn't the motivation here.

I'm sure they didn't want their human reaper destroyed before completion. Can they start over? Sure. Was it a huge setback? Probably not. At the same time I don't think your boss would appreciate you putting a laxative in his drink to screw with him...unless it was to convince your new bff Commander Shepard you're on his/her side *gasp*

Nonsense aside. Some of the final dialog of the comic:

They died as they lived, protecting humanity to the last. And what they helped confirm not only confirms everything I believe -- it has proven to me, beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is something to protect humanity against. Desolas was right. The stars look warm and inviting to us -- places to be explored, knowledge to be had, riches to be made. But we will not always be welcome. Those who came before may not be willing to share. It is the way of things, it is inevitable. A dark time is coming. Humanity will be tested. And while we will not know who is doing the testing or why -- we must meet this challenge, as we have met all others. We will succeed, because to do anything else would be -- inhuman. We will watch the dark places -- and bring illumination. There is no magic -- only technology. Tools we can master. Tools we must master. Not to survive -- but for the betterment of mankind. We can -- and will take our rightful place in the stars. This is my manifesto, I hope you will join my cause.

While not outright anti-reaper and plausible this is his cover story if he already is indoctrinated, I do think his human supremacy angle is legit and at worst he's a sleeper agent during ME2 rather than outright turned.

natkingcoleslaw

Neo Member
Why cerberus turns against shepard?

Did you see the look on illusive man's face after the reaper mission. It's obvious he would turn out to be a slimy bastard come ME3. From his weird shiny eyes, I would guess he is a pawn of the reapers.

Nils said:
Nonsense aside. Some of the final dialog of the comic:

While not outright anti-reaper and plausible this is his cover story if he already is indoctrinated, I do think his human supremacy angle is legit and at worst he's a sleeper agent during ME2 rather than outright turned.
Saren now had exactly the same amount of foreknowledge as TIM. He went looking for sovereign. Look where that got us.

Anyways I am not saying that TIM has turned or anything. Just that there is absolutely no reason to trust him or anything he ever said. Like how he casually ignored the fact that he apparently got his hands on a weapon that can take a reaper down with (presumably) a single shot.

natkingcoleslaw

Neo Member
natkingcoleslaw said:
Why cerberus turns against shepard?

Did you see the look on illusive man's face after the reaper mission. It's obvious he would turn out to be a slimy bastard come ME3. From his weird shiny eyes, I would guess he is a pawn of the reapers.

Also, if that is not the case I am guessing that illusive man is a crazy bastard who wants reapers to destroy all organic life, while he hides and ensures that humanity dominates the galaxy when the reapers leave.

I suppose this would be the conflict between renegade and paragon: to allow illusive man to succeed or to kick his bleeding ass.

samdavis

Neo Member
-A human mega city that formed when Vancouver and Seattle merged.
Add: That's where you'll spend your time on Earth. So not London or New York like previously mentioned. Describes the planet: 'It's curved, futuristic buildings bathe in beautiful light as the sea laps into the waterfront and docks.'

I..."arrived."

And now I am dripping with anticipation.

IoCaster

edgefusion said:
Shepherds lips look soooo great on that cover. I hope there are some gay romance options this times.

I can honestly say that this cracked me up because I tend to doubt that this was the intent of the artist. It's cool though since I firmly believe that all is fair when it relates to perspective and libido. As it applies to consenting adults, of course.

Walshicus

Fimbulvetr said:

Yeah... I just completed the game again a few minutes ago and that bugged me. Did they FTL to a system with a mass relay?

IoCaster

Sir Fragula said:
Yeah... I just completed the game again a few minutes ago and that bugged me. Did they FTL to a system with a mass relay?

I'm curious to know why it isn't assumed that they make the return trip through the Omega 4 Relay? Maybe I'm wrong but doesn't it dump you right back in the Omega system when you choose to continue your game past the credits? It seems to me that it's the most obvious conclusion to be drawn. What did I miss?

webrunner

USD said:
This irked me so much. The whole time I was thinking, "Yeah, Garrus, you might want to get that checked out."

The funniest is when you do his loyalty mission.

"Hey, Garrus! In honor of your loyalty, I present to you this new uniform to show your connection to me and the team!"

"Uh, thanks, but why does it have a giant exploded hole exactly where my old armor did?"

"Oh.. uh.. a.. um... thresher maw.. and um... reminded by what brought us back together.. and ... uh.."

"You just painted my old armor."

"Er.. yes."

Walshicus

IoCaster said:
I'm curious to know why it isn't assumed that they make the return trip through the Omega 4 Relay? Maybe I'm wrong but doesn't it dump you right back in the Omega system when you choose to continue your game past the credits? It seems to me that it's the most obvious conclusion to be drawn. What did I miss?
Okay, you use the Omega 4 Relay to jump to the Collector Base... but you don't use a relay to get back to the Omega 4 Relay. You just FTL out.

masterkajo

Sorry if this sounds a bit of an odd request but I really hate when you people update the title of this thread. I try my very very best not to get spoiled in any way with ME3 but this thread is on the first page almost all the time and it changes title once per day. I know so far there hasn't been any real spoiler in it but alone knowing that Garrus or Ashley will be back (I know it was obvious anyway but ...) kind of spoils me... How about "updated mm/dd/yyyy"??

Also coming E3 I will have to stay away from neogaf or I will get spoiled by thread titles of ME3, I guess.

Well, anyway, on you go with your discussions. I'm outta here!

Sir Fragula said:
Okay, you use the Omega 4 Relay to jump to the Collector Base... but you don't use a relay to get back to the Omega 4 Relay. You just FTL out.
They never show it but there isn't any reason to assume that Normandy doesn't use a mass relay to travel back to the Omega system.

Walshicus

Lostconfused said:
They never show it but there isn't any reason to assume that Normandy doesn't use a mass relay to travel back to the Omega system.
True. But it seems pointless to go into FTL in an area of space surrounded by black holes, stop, FTL back again and then go through the relay...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Fimbulvetr said:

Stop looking for plot holes!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
IoCaster said:
huh?

The plot got catapulted across the absurdity event horizon within the first ten minutes of ME2. I think that it's beyond redemption at this point.

They went from a middling, sci-fi mass market paperback story in ME to a comic book level narrative for the sequel. Complete with "cutscene power to the max" and wacky sidekicks in skintight super hero costumes. It's hard to take them seriously when they've done everything possible to shit on their own story and cheesed the fuck out of it with wild abandon.

Hey now dont be all perpetrating the comic book ghetto thinking.

Dennis

Banned
Door2Dawn said:
tumblr_l9fymg4REG1qdjnebo1_500.jpg
Sums up the Bioware forum nicely. And the fans.

IoCaster

HK-47 said:
Hey now dont be all perpetrating the comic book ghetto thinking.

At this point it's fairly obvious that Mac Walters is such a tedious hack that a good comic book narrative seems to be beyond his capability. Have you read Mass Effect: Evolution?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Love the Tali love in here

Samara

Damn, Ash looks gooood. She's a spectre now? *whistles*

But didn't get into much reading in there, don't want to be spoiled much....right now anyway

McNum said:
Hmm, there's one thing about Mass Effect that hit me after playing through ME1 and 2. An interesting omission of information, really. This is all rampant speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if this could be ME3's endgame. Spoilered on the off chance I guessed right.

Consider this:
The Mass Relays work by sending you from one relay to the other. Some can target more relays, but all jumps begin and end with a Mass Relay. Most Relays have a twin and can only be used to travel between these two locations.

The Citadel is revealed in Mass Effect 1 to be a gigantic Mass Relay to summon in all the Reapers from somewhere outside the galaxy. Does that mean that the Citadel has a twin in Dark Space? Exactly what would the Reapers have used as their jump in point?

I'm half expecting that the answer to that is the endgame of ME3. It'd be a perfect symmetry in the story. In ME1 you stopped Saren from using the Citadel Relay. In ME2 you learned how to use a Reaper Only relay and attacked the enemy base. In ME3 you... use the Reaper Only Citadel Relay to take the fight to whatever huge thing the Reapers have out there.

It's just odd that this hasn't been brought up at all in the games. Sure, the Citadel Relay is locked tight with a "Here be dragons!" sign on it, and I'm not sure if anyone even knows how to open it if they'd want to, but there has to be a receiver of some kind out there. Plus, sending a combined fleet of every race in the galaxy out to fight the Reapers in their own home using the very plan that the Reapers themselves were going for in ME1 just sounds awesome.

I probably missed something, but it IS an interesting omission in the previous two games, isn't it?
I LOVE this idea! It would be so amazing to experience and watch.

Melchiah

Just stumbled on to this, when I read Silver Surfer - Rebirth of Thanos (1987) few days ago.

diCnP.jpg

8T8Ep.jpg

ma3iL.jpg

zOpZC.jpg

I found the fact they took the name from there intriguing, not to mention the similarities in looks (big round eyes, no nose just nostrils) and the plague/xenophage.

Lakitu

st5fu
A little update (with more information from magazine Chief -- thanks to Whiteshiro from Bioware Social):

Some description of some planets:

Sur'Kesh: A peaceful world. Very tropical, with palm trees, waterfalls. The Salarians live near a Volcanic crater. From top to bottom you'll see the houses they live in.
Rannoch (Quarian homeworld): A desert with huge pyramid structures.

-You visit Sur'Kesh earlier in the game.
-New and improved Biotic powers.
-Re: Space Battles -
There will be a space battle when you visit the Turian homeworld. You'll work together with the Turians to try and destroy a Reaper fleet.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Lakitu said:
A little update (with more information from magazine Chief -- thanks to Whiteshiro from Bioware Social):

Some description of some planets:

Sur'Kesh: A peaceful world. Very tropical, with palm trees, waterfalls. The Salarians live near a Volcanic crater. From top to bottom you'll see the houses they live in.
Rannoch (Quarian homeworld): A desert with huge pyramid structures.

-You visit Sur'Kesh earlier in the game.
-New and improved Biotic powers
Excite.

Lakitu said:
There will be a space battle when you visit the Turian homeworld. You'll work together with the Turians to try and destroy a Reaper fleet.
Extra excite.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Lakitu said:

Should not have read that spoiler :(.

Top Bottom