• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Mass Effect 3 details [Planet Aesthetics Detailed, Verdict On Space Battles]

Speaking of artwork:

I mentioned this on a previous thread, but how cool would it be for Bioware to commission someone like Drew Strutzen to do the cover for the collector's edition of ME3. I'd buy that in a heartbeat, and I never buy the prestige/collectors/super-duper edition of games.

Kinyou

I'm right now playing again through Mass Effect 2 and what really bothers me are that except for Shepard, Garrus and Grunt, no one is wearing a real helmet. I don't know too much about spacewalks but I'm pretty sure that you would die if you were only wearing a mask in outer space. Also it just looks kind of silly:
m76vc4.jpg

It reminds of this Simpson spoof:
"Hullbreach! Space-air is flooding in, quick put on your glasses!!"
240px-PlanetFOS-SpaceAir.jpg

RedSwirl

Kinyou said:
I'm right now playing again through Mass Effect 2 and what really bothers me are that except for Shepard, Garrus and Grunt, no one is wearing a real helmet. I don't know too much about spacewalks but I'm pretty sure that you would die if you were only wearing a mask in outer space. Also it just looks kind of silly:
m76vc4.jpg

I don't think you're ever actually in a true vacuum throughout the game, just environments with air unbreathable to Humans (and most other races apparently).

My question in regards to this is: do most people in the future just have personal air masks on their person, like purses? It was really hard for me to imagine Jack just pulling one out.

Pollux

DennisK4 said:
Love between humans is sane.

Krogan-human love.....not so much.
Don't even mention this...I still can't get the wrex image out of my head from the last thread. or the 18 boobed tali....ugh

RedSwirl said:
I don't think you're ever actually in a true vacuum throughout the game, just environments with air unbreathable to Humans (and most other races apparently).

My question in regards to this is: do most people in the future just have personal air masks on their person, like purses? It was really hard for me to imagine Jack just pulling one out.

If it's unbreathable air can't it get absorbed through the skin?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Darklord said:
Wrex, Liara, Garrus(well more in ME2), Tali(again, more in ME2) were good characters. They seemed perfect to build from. And the ones they kept, it worked well.

lol Liara

RedSwirl said:

Still pretty illogical since they don't know what's in the environment that could effect them regardless of gas-masks.

Zeal

Banned
i'm so sick of hearing the term dudebro.

if by awesome as hell people mean dudebro, then yeah, skyrim and me3 will be dUdeBr0 as hell.

Clott

Zeal said:

if by awesome as hell people mean dudebro, then yeah, skyrim and me3 will be dUdeBr0 as hell.
But dude! Common bro, it hasn't been around that long.

charlequin said:
It's all addressed. Tali and the quarians think of "a geth" as being a single robot body, but Legion explains that the geth as a whole are lots of different AI routines and each robot body is driven by a selection of such routines. The individual robot bodies don't share senses and so one geth body can't see what another one is seeing, but each body isn't "a geth," it's a mutable set of AI routines that reconnect back into the broader geth "hive mind" when they download back into the AI cores.
Thanks. I'm usually pretty well-versed in ME lore, but that particular nugget bugged me when I came across it earlier today. :)

Darklord said:
Edit: Oops, that was meant to be an edit! My bad.

Person: Man, ME1 had some cool characters.

Bioware: Damn right!

Person: So we'll be using them in ME2?

Bioware: Umm, not really, you've all split up.

Person: Oh...

Bioware: But it's ok! Because we're making the BEST team ever of the best characters we can muster! In fact this team is so important the entire game is dedicated to it, the core story is barely present!

Person: Wow! Really? So THAT team we'll be using for later games, I get it now. Yeah, build the team, use them in ME3 for the core story.

Bioware: Well, no, that team broke up too.

Person: Then WTF was Mass Effect 2 about?

Bioware: Umm...well...you're banned from the forums and our games.
lol yeah that sounds about right ... :(

Kinyou

MalboroRed said:
If it's unbreathable air can't it get absorbed through the skin?
I don't no about the skin, but toxic air would definitely affect you eyes
RedSwirl said:
When you infiltrate the stranded collector ship you can fly with the shuttle directly into the ship. There are no doors or forcefields that would keep the vacuum outside. I'll hope they just get the full helmets back for ME 3.
They could fix that issue by making the helmets like the ones in Dead Space 2
2202106_o.gif

Anyway just found this, made me laugh:
BLATANT-COMMANDER-SHEPARD-FACIAL-RE.jpg

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
thisisjimmy said:
Hey, that's apretty huge list. Can't OP just spoiler tag all of the verified information and leave the speculations untagged?
Why would this distinction matter?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm contemplating whether I should get the Arrival DLC or just watch some youtube walkthroughs. I'm only interested in what happens story-wise, and I heard ME3 will pick up right after the events of Arrival. Thoughts?

Trickster

Zeal said:

To me it seems that dudebro is used about games that are not very complex or dumbed down, and features big bulky "badass" dudes in order to appeal to the bigger mass market of casual gamers.

Jinfash said:
I'm contemplating whether I should get the Arrival DLC or just watch some youtube walkthroughs. I'm only interested in what happens story-wise, and I heard ME3 will pick up right after the events of Arrival. Thoughts?

Youtube it. The DLC is 80% combat anyway and there's no choices to be made really and it's only an hour long at most.

ReBurn

Gold Member
After reading this thread I want to go back and replay the first two games. I'm so hyped for this.

Jinfash said:

Are you a big ME whore? if the answer is NO, just youtube it, just played it today and there's barely a few nuggets of really important plot and the DLC by itself is pretty underwhelming.

ReBurn said:
After reading this thread I want to go back and replay the first two games. I'm so hyped for this.
Replay the first one just to see The Citadel as it should be. That was one of my biggest let downs with ME2, the terribly gimped Citadel.

Man, now that Ashley is back I have to download that damn PS3 interactive backstory to get her onto my team in the PS3 version.

Coxswain

Trickster said:
To me it seems that dudebro is used about games that are not very complex or dumbed down, and features big bulky "badass" dudes in order to appeal to the bigger mass market of casual gamers.
It doesn't mean anything besides "violent game I don't like".

bigace33

Tylahedras said:
Man, now that Ashley is back I have to download that damn PS3 interactive backstory to get her onto my team in the PS3 version.
What do you mean Ashley is back? She is dead on my play through. I saved Kaiden instead and wifed up Liara.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
entrement said:
I'm kinda hoping that we never see Tali's face. It would be an epic troll on Bioware's part.

I want her to take off her mask but then for there to be another mask under it

Zen

Banned
Does Ashley look... ugly... to anyone? She looks like she has been drugged and tarted up, not that Liara looks good in that cover shot either, but her shot looks like artwork.

bigace33 said:
What do you mean Ashley is back? She is dead on my play through. I saved Kaiden instead and wifed up Liara.

Ditto.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
entrement said:
I'm kinda hoping that we never see Tali's face. It would be an epic troll on Bioware's part.
Their art director basically stated that they were spending a bunch of time making one for her in that Garrus video.

On that note, we should probably put up at least one Garrus shot from that.

garrusme3cu1p.png

entremet

Zen said:
Does Ashley look... ugly... to anyone? She looks like she has been drugged and tarted up, not that Liara looks good in that cover shot either, but her shot looks like artwork.

Ditto.
The Liara artwork is from ME2.

Zen said:

Ditto.

She looks like she's dead inside.

Wiggum2007

Ugh, Mass Effect Evolution #4 details are out. Saren's glowy cybernetics/robo arm no longer came from Sovereign, but from the same Reaper artifact that affected the Illusive Man. =/

Is this them setting up the Illusive Man to become indoctrinated in ME3?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Wiggum2007 said:
Ugh, Mass Effect Evolution #4 details are out. Saren's glowy cybernetics/robo arm no longer came from Sovereign, but from the same Reaper artifact that affected the Illusive Man. =/

Is this them setting up the Illusive Man to become indoctrinated in ME3?

Why is that a big deal? Anyway, I think it's both? The artifact sowed the seeds for indoctrination, but Sovereign surely advanced its progress.

Kinyou said:
m76vc4.jpg

Yes, exposure to vacuum even with an air mask will not only be unpleasant but quite deadly. Unconsciousness in under a minute, death in under five.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Kinyou said:
They could fix that issue by making the helmets like the ones in Dead Space 2
2202106_o.gif

]

Seeing that gif makes me wish some of the ideas in Dead Space like Zero-G gameplay made it into the Mass Effect series.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Lostconfused said:
yay for more retcons!

The best part is that it directly contradicts that Q&A answer.

Have either of you actually read the comic? Nowhere does it show Saren getting transformed in any way? It just shows him getting a slight jolt from the artifact, with his body completely unaltered afterwards. It probably just drove his obsession to get to Sovereign and Sovereign is the one who gave him the actual physical alterations.

neojubei said:
Seeing that gif makes me wish some of the ideas in Dead Space like Zero-G gameplay made it into the Mass Effect series.

I wish more games used the virtual interfaces from Doom 3, where you actually used computer interfaces in the game world, navigating touch screen menus and pressing buttons and so forth. Shit was so awesome, but the only other game that I can think of that ever used it again was Prey (which used the Doom 3 engine iirc).

Wiggum2007

Nils said:
Have either of you actually read the comic? Nowhere does it show Saren getting transformed in any way? It just shows him getting a slight jolt from the artifact, with his body completely unaltered afterwards. It probably just drove his obsession to get to Sovereign and Sovereign is the one who gave him the actual physical alterations.

My bad, maybe I misread the details on the Bioware forums, they do seem to be saying now that he definitely got his glowy eyes from the artifact. And it seemed pretty easy to believe given all the other weird shit they've been doing with the fiction in Evlolution . We already know that Saren got enhanced by Sovereign, that he hates humans because his brother was killed in the First Contact War. Now a reaper artifact is suddenly involved in the First Contact War and the whole conflict is revolving around it. Humans and turians now understand each other even though this is the first time we've come in contact. Then, TIM gets knocked unconscious and wakes up and is told about the end of the conflict because of the Citadel intervention, and somehow immediately has knowledge of Illium, the Terminus Systems, etc. Oh and turians are now amoral space nazis willing to turn their own kind into husks to create an unstoppable army. And it's all written by ME3's lead writer, woohoo!

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Illusive Man got his from the artifact yeah, but I've checked yet again and it doesn't show Saren with glowy eyes post-artifact exposure.

cluxdeluxe said:
I just played through mass effect 1 and 2 on the pc for first time and I did not miss the citadel from the first one while playing 2. The citadel from the 1st one kinda felt like a giant grindfest for me.
Fair enough. I thought it was great. Walking around, talking to people, doing stuff that didn't always involve a gun. Good times.

And those awesome load screens with the shot of the Wards.

Back on topic, It's kind of disappointing that TIM has been indoctrinated.

DirtRiver

What? Are you telling me The Illusive Man has been indoctrinated and that's why he is a bad guy?

Fuck, why can't we have a bad guy that is a bad guy simply because he is a bad guy. Takes away the vibe I got from that character.

Top Bottom