• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Morbius is so bad Sony and the director are spoiling the movie before release

ManaByte

Not knowing who you're referring to, probably not? Is this just a room full of 16 year olds? She's certainly not dressed like a 16 year old.
R.590ade550c8f793ce6c54a1bb095beec

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Here's what I think is happening

Venom and Morbius were never going to be part of the MCU, but Marvel and Sony agreed to have the post credit shenanigans of this, Venom 2, and NWH happen just for cross studio hype. It benefitted them both.

Strange assumed that his spell was only pulling people from other universes who knew that some version of Peter Parker was Spider-Man into the MCU. He did not realize that it also affected characters from other universes that had their own Spider-Man, but had no idea he was Peter Parker (like Venom and Morbius - this would make sense given the post credit scenes of Venom 2 and NWH). Because Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man still exists, and Sony now wants to give him a third movie after the success of NWH. That, or they intend on making their own Spider-Man movie with a new actor playing Peter.

The spell also had a wild affect of making Vulture in the MCU think that the Spider-Man he knows is Garfield's (or whoever in Sony's universe) Spider-Man, hence why he was sucked into the Sony universe. I guess Marvel exchanged Vulture for some other Spider-Man villain from Sony that we'll see in a future MCU Spider-Man movie.

This is the only scenario I can think of that makes sense.

Ionian

Is that real? I just keep finding new reasons to love James Gunn more and more

Yep, there were stories years ago. Crowd went after Gunn then, tried to have him cancelled for Disney keeping him.

Didn't work.

They were shitty juvenile jokes to be edgy.

Leto on the other hand ... too many accusations. None were for decent acting. Some of the accounts are extremely bad.

miles118

The award for the the cringiest dialogue of marvel and 2022 in general goes to : "Morbius".---> "you don't want to see me hungry".

I bursted out laughing in the theather when I heard this.
Very bad writing, worst antagonist ever, bad dialogue, bad CGI, bad fight choerography. Don't waste your money and just go see "The Batman" even you have already seen it if you want to see a good movie.

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Movie was really bad. Venom 2 wasn't great but I enjoyed it at least. This movie was boring all the way through.

I saw both in 4DX, although I don't think that made the experience worse. Usually I only do 4DX after doing a normal IMAX or Dolby Cinema screening but for these two movies I didn't have that opportunity.

JCK75

There are people who are suprised that this movie is terrible, like knowing Jared Leto is the lead was not the clue you needed.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Requiem for a Dream is really good though.
He's extremely good at picking movies. Requiem, Fight Club, American Psycho. Guy has been a small side character in multiple fantastic movies.

I haven't seen him much as the lead, but supposedly that runner movie is okay.

Morbius seems like just cashing a paycheck, since most theatrical films are only super hero movies at this point.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Sony pictures nowadays fail when they try to make a “marvel”mainstream movie.

it’s ironic that their lesser famous and less action movies get great reviews and awards…
They know how to make great films…

HoodWinked

These Sony comic movies do way better than they should Venom and Venom 2 quietly made shitloads of money

And while Morbius isn't doing great it isn't even close to as bad as it should be.

TTf2C90.png

This is more than Pacific Rim ($37M), Edge of Tomorrow ($28M), Alita ($28M)

I didn't think the movie was as bad as some folk are making it out to be. Don't get me wrong, it's not good either... but it's not as bad as Black Widow or Eternals (the new barometers for bad comic book movies). Like I said when the very first trailer was released: it's basically just another Venom movie, for better or worse.

sol_bad

These Sony comic movies do way better than they should Venom and Venom 2 quietly made shitloads of money

And while Morbius isn't doing great it isn't even close to as bad as it should be.

TTf2C90.png

This is more than Pacific Rim ($37M), Edge of Tomorrow ($28M), Alita ($28M)

Please don't mention Alita and Morbius in the same sentence. It triggers me!!
LMAO
Alita should have made so much more than it did.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Saw the movie today, liked it as much, if not more than 1st Venom, dunno why people and the media are shitting on it?

If I had any complaints there would be only two - A) it's too short - some scenes felt like they're played in fast forward, lacked any build up at all, extending those sequences a bit and slowing them down would make the movie a favor. And B) Milo's actor could've been better, for whatever the reason Matt Smith didn't fit with the rest of the cast for me, even Tyrese didn't felt as out of place, and I'll always see this one as the clown from F&F...

Also that cliffhanger was... trash. For someone who ended his journey with Avengers after End Game I have no fucking idea what the hell was that, what I just saw. But that's a much broader issue that's common for everything MCU releases after EG, so I cannot blame a single particular movie for that.

ManaByte

Also that cliffhanger was... trash. For someone who ended his journey with Avengers after End Game I have no fucking idea what the hell was that, what I just saw. But that's a much broader issue that's common for everything MCU releases after EG, so I cannot blame a single particular movie for that.

Then why are you watching a Marvel movie?

TimFL

Here's what I think is happening

Venom and Morbius were never going to be part of the MCU, but Marvel and Sony agreed to have the post credit shenanigans of this, Venom 2, and NWH happen just for cross studio hype. It benefitted them both.

Strange assumed that his spell was only pulling people from other universes who knew that some version of Peter Parker was Spider-Man into the MCU. He did not realize that it also affected characters from other universes that had their own Spider-Man, but had no idea he was Peter Parker (like Venom and Morbius - this would make sense given the post credit scenes of Venom 2 and NWH). Because Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man still exists, and Sony now wants to give him a third movie after the success of NWH. That, or they intend on making their own Spider-Man movie with a new actor playing Peter.

The spell also had a wild affect of making Vulture in the MCU think that the Spider-Man he knows is Garfield's (or whoever in Sony's universe) Spider-Man, hence why he was sucked into the Sony universe. I guess Marvel exchanged Vulture for some other Spider-Man villain from Sony that we'll see in a future MCU Spider-Man movie.

This is the only scenario I can think of that makes sense.
Your theory makes no sense, most of it was revealed already
Hardy was pulled in because the Symbiote knew Peter Parker from the various universes where they fought and/or had him as host (it was literally revealed that the Symbiotes are a hive mind that share memories across the multiverse).
Andrew is not confirmed to get a new movie, there are no leaks about that just wishful thinking by fans. I sincerely hope that Garfield doesn't touch that franchise and just never calls Sony back when they want to offer him a part in the Venom/Morbius/Sonyverse franchise. Better go out with a whimper / NWH appearance than join that campfire.

Vulture being thrown into the Morbiusverse is just crap and shoddy writing. Vulture probably forgot that Spidey is Peter, but the memories of Peter / Spider-Man ruining his "life" are still there so he naturally still wants to get revenge.

ZywyPL

Banned
Then why are you watching a Marvel movie?

I went on Morbius to see movie about Morbius, seems fair and simple? And truth be told if it wasn't for this very thread I would just exit the hall once the credits started to roll, but I knew there's something extra so I stayed due to curiosity, but nevertheless the scene didn't have any impact at all on my impression of the movie. If anything, it puts in question if I'll go on the sequel knowing I'll have to watch some movies and Disney+ shows I'm totally not interested in in order to understand Morbius 2, the same way Dr. Strange 2 is a no-go for me despite liking the first one so much.

This is my issue with MCU, it all started very very well, there was Cpt. America, Iron Man etc. and those were indeed movies about those heroes, you went blind-in and fully understood everything, the movies were complete, but at some point, those so-called "phases", everything just became Avengers movies basically. And nowadays it's not just Avengers anymore but one gigantic "multiverse" where you have to eat Loki-branded cereals to know what the hell is going on in next Spider-Man... On one side I get it, they have a dedicated, almost fanatic fanbase that will swallow everything with "Marvel" in title, but on the other side they're losing people like me who just want to see selected movies, but those movies are becoming unaccessible.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Hardy was pulled in because the Symbiote knew Peter Parker from the various universes where they fought and/or had him as host (it was literally revealed that the Symbiotes are a hive mind that share memories across the multiverse).
Andrew is not confirmed to get a new movie, there are no leaks about that just wishful thinking by fans. I sincerely hope that Garfield doesn't touch that franchise and just never calls Sony back when they want to offer him a part in the Venom/Morbius/Sonyverse franchise. Better go out with a whimper / NWH appearance than join that campfire.

Vulture being thrown into the Morbiusverse is just crap and shoddy writing. Vulture probably forgot that Spidey is Peter, but the memories of Peter / Spider-Man ruining his "life" are still there so he naturally still wants to get revenge.

Yea, you're just speculating too, whatever

MonkD

Electro learned Spider-Mans identity in the movie. Disney didnt care much about the rules themselves

sol_bad

Electro learned Spider-Mans identity in the movie. Disney didnt care much about the rules themselves

Electro isn't necessarily from the movie verse we know of in Amazing Spider-Man 2. There could be 500,000 variants of that Electro and that Electro in No Way Home did learn who Spider-Man's identity was.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
The first half hour was somewhat watcheable, but as soon as they arrive in that Chinese village it's just generic Marvel nonsense until the credits.

But hey I liked Eternals somewhat so yeah opinions :)

Watching people shitting on Sony Marvel movies as if the MCU ones are peak cinema quality is a choice...how are these movies worse then 50% of the MCU lmao.
I haven't seen Morbius yet but it was hilarious to see Venom 2 perform much better at the box office than Shang Chi, Eternals and Black Widow with like half the budget.

SJRB

Gold Member
Shang Chi fucking sucks. Some of the dumbest, most boring cliché trite I've ever seen. Good ideas turned into a ridiculous movie, and not in a good way.

Post-Endgame era Marvel is terrible. Black Widow, Eternals, Shang Chi, utter dogshit. Their tv shows? Poorly executed, completely forgettable. Sony's fringe stuff: terrible. Even Spider-Man no way home is utterly mediocre at best, carried completely by the chemistry of Andrew, Tobey, Dafoe and Alfred Molina.

I mean how bad is your movie when it stars Scarlett Johansson AND Florence Pugh AND Rachel Weisz and people still don't want to watch it? Someone should get a Raspberry award just for that "accomplishment". Outrageous.

The golden age of Marvel is over and Sony's dogshit output isn't exactly helping.

ManaByte

Shang Chi fucking sucks. Some of the dumbest, most boring cliché trite I've ever seen. Good ideas turned into a ridiculous movie, and not in a good way.

Post-Endgame era Marvel is terrible. Black Widow, Eternals, Shang Chi, utter dogshit. Their tv shows? Poorly executed, completely forgettable. Sony's fringe stuff: terrible. Even Spider-Man no way home is utterly mediocre at best, carried completely by the chemistry of Andrew, Tobey, Dafoe and Alfred Molina.

I mean how bad is your movie when it stars Scarlett Johansson AND Florence Pugh AND Rachel Weisz and people still don't want to watch it? Someone should get a Raspberry award just for that "accomplishment". Outrageous.

The golden age of Marvel is over and Sony's dogshit output isn't exactly helping.
GettyImages-657631954-H-2022.jpg

sol_bad

Watching people shitting on Sony Marvel movies as if the MCU ones are peak cinema quality is a choice...how are these movies worse then 50% of the MCU lmao.
I haven't seen Morbius yet but it was hilarious to see Venom 2 perform much better at the box office than Shang Chi, Eternals and Black Widow with like half the budget.

Shang Chi and Eternals are new characters. Venom is well known to the masses now.
Although, Venom 2 made far less money than it's prequel so it certainly under performed.

Shang Chi and Eternals are new characters. Venom is well known to the masses now.
Although, Venom 2 made far less money than it's prequel so it certainly under performed.
Venom 2 was released in a pandemic and without China on a 110M budget. It did 5 times its budget. No way it underperformed. It actually did exactly the same money domestically: 213M for both movies.

The first Venom grossed $269M in China...alone. Imagine how it would've done with a China release and no pandemic. No way it would've done worse than the first. It would at least be stable.

sol_bad

Venom 2 was released in a pandemic and without China on a 110M budget. It did 5 times its budget. No way it underperformed. It actually did exactly the same money domestically: 213M for both movies.

The first Venom grossed $269M in China...alone. Imagine how it would've done with a China release and no pandemic. No way it would've done worse than the first. It would at least be stable.

Jesus, I didn't know Venom 1 made that much in China, or if I did know I forgot.
So Shang Chi and Eternals weren't impacted by a pandemic or lack of China release?

Jesus, I didn't know Venom 1 made that much in China, or if I did know I forgot.
So Shang Chi and Eternals weren't impacted by a pandemic or lack of China release?
They were. They just grossed less than Venom 2. Black Widow as well but it had the Disney+ release as well.

I just saw it, enjoyed it; they stuck pretty close to the original origin story, and it's been a while since some proper vampire action.

AJUMP23

Why is Matt Smith in this garbage.....I'm halfway through and it is an odd one. I hope Matt made a lot of money.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So I just watched the movie out of curiosity and it was... fine ?
A bit boring but also a bit fun. Nothing offensive or terrible as suggested by memes. Just bland.
What's the deal with "it's morbin time" ? The line is not in the movie or did I miss it ?!

The effects were fine, Jared Leto played.. ok.
I think the movie was worth a watch and it wasn't toooo bad and actually enjoyable !

Last edited:
Top Bottom