• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mini LED to be Sony's 2024 flag ship TV

S0ULZB0URNE

It has nothing to do with whether miniled is better, and everything to do with Sony being able to make them cheaper, get more margin. The mastering is part of it - they’ll sell the monitor, encourage 4000 nit mastering and promote their own tvs as the only way to actually watch that content properly.
The brightness game is moronic. I hate lcd tvs.
Yes it does.
They been choosing LCD for the last few mastering monitor for a reason.
Far from a cost saving measure as they are in no way cheap.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Because your eyes adjust there own dynamic range via the pupil. So white wouldnt look like that in person.

It would look like that in person in that scene if you had that mastering monitor side by side with it to compare their respective whites. Basically ignorance is bliss. This happened with Buggy Loop when he got to play HDR demos at the store side by side comparing his X93L vs the similarly priced WOLED in the same scenes. The WOLEDs looked unimpressive when they were required to be bright.

Last edited:

peish

"There’s no perfect display device, admits Sony Distinguished Engineer Toshiyuku Ogura, but he seems to believe that Mini LED has the greatest potential, when it comes to colour volume, brightness and viewing angle."

It is true, i trust Sony Display guy. Always trust Sony Display.
OLED tends to be over blown by Internet brigade.
MiniLED higher brightness helps in colour volume rendition

CGNoire

Sure, and risk your expensive as hell TV slowly destroy itself. Hustling backwards.
Worth it. My Plasma has done just fine as a monitor for the last 12 years with just the pixel orbiter by itself has kept it image retention free. Even in worst case scenarios the ghost imprint disappears super fast within 15 minutes of regular moving Tv imagery and even before that any image retention was barely noticeable.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Worth it. My Plasma has done just fine as a monitor for the last 12 years with just the pixel orbiter by itself has kept it image retention free. Even in worst case scenarios the ghost imprint disappears super fast within 15 minutes of regular moving Tv imagery and even before that any image retention was barely noticeable.

Well for every you there is a me whose B7 ended up looking like a tattooed prostitute after several years of heavy usage. My C9 didn't even make it 2 years before the panel went out. Good thing Costco has a 2 year warranty. Turned that shit in and got a QN90A.

I didn’t go OLED because of black crush and automatic brightness limiting. Reviewers were blown away by “perfect blacks” (which were often just crushed blacks). In the other hand, QLED had bloom. Of the two, I went QLED because the crushed blacks and brightness limiter made everything darker than it should be. However, you really only notice the brightness limiter problem if it’s side by side with a QLED. Some people prefer the OLED’s for the blacks, which is perfectly fine as well.

I’ve been waiting for miniLED for a long while. In a few years, when the tech gets really good, I’ll probably be buying one. Supposedly, they will have the best features of both OLED and QLED and almost none of the weaknesses.

Well for every you there is a me whose B7 ended up looking like a tattooed prostitute after several years of heavy usage. My C9 didn't even make it 2 years before the panel went out. Good thing Costco has a 2 year warranty. Turned that shit in and got a QN90A.
I’ve got a QN90A as well. It’s been great so far. What’s your experience with yours been like?

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I got to admit "tattooed prosititute" got me. LOL :)

I ended up giving it to my cousin. He would say it has a big shit stain on the screen, and that he would never buy an OLED. It eventually got bad. The wii style LG remote stopped working and it would periodically cut off. He eventually bought a Hisense U8H and loves it.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I’ve got a QN90A as well. It’s been great so far. What’s your experience with yours been like?

I love my QN90A. I have no reason to replace it besides greed for something new and superior. The QN90A is superior in native contrast, black levels, and local dimming to the QN90B and QN90C. It's true successor is the QN95C.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sure, and risk your expensive as hell TV slowly destroy itself. Hustling backwards.
You can’t turn off abl. only absl which is coming over time with no movement detected and so on. Which I disabled 4000 hours ago with service remote. It was annoying in some movies if they talk more than few minutes in dark scene, it would dim and require very drastic scenery change. It’s supposedly fixed on 3 series or not as aggressive.
Abl doesn’t bother me. You don’t see it or realise it’s happening in real use. Unless you make notepad full screen which you for sure reason are viewing in hdr. It’s really not a problem.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I ended up giving it to my cousin. He would say it has a big shit stain on the screen, and that he would never buy an OLED. It eventually got bad. The wii style LG remote stopped working and it would periodically cut off. He eventually bought a Hisense U8H and loves it.
How many hours you had on that? I know b7 has older tech but still. 2 years is too fast.
As I’ve said. I disabled absl screen saver and have 8k hours. The thing looks brand new. Almost 3 years.
I am using sdr at 50% brightness on desktop( that’s a bit over 100 nits which is fine for sdr) and hdr always in games which have it.
Maybe you were turning off power strip or something after each use?!
Anyway. It’s not far to judge modern oleds because of b7.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
How many hours you had on that? I know b7 has older tech but still. 2 years is too fast.
As I’ve said. I disabled absl screen saver and have 8k hours. The thing looks brand new. Almost 3 years.
I am using sdr at 50% brightness on desktop( that’s a bit over 100 nits which is fine for sdr) and hdr always in games which have it.
Maybe you were turning off power strip or something after each use?!
Anyway. It’s not far to judge modern oleds because of b7.

It was more than two years. My cousin put some tattoos on it as well when I gave it to him. I know for certain the Netflix logo was his doing. The big blotch in the middle of the screen that he referred to as the dookie stain was done by me and my desktop wallpaper.

Xtib81

We shall see. All I know is that Oled hasn't been the second coming like so many people on the internet claim it is. I'm still rocking my LG E9, but it's deeply flawed : bad grey uniformity, terrible handling of motion with low fps content, image retention, bad at handling reflections and crushed blacks. I guess burn in is next on the list for me.
For a damn 1500€ TV, I certainly expected much better.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It was more than two years. My cousin put some tattoos on it as well when I gave it to him. I know for certain the Netflix logo was his doing. The big blotch in the middle of the screen that he referred to as the dookie stain was done by me and my desktop wallpaper.
I see.
Many people use black wallpaper but I hate that.
I use randomized wallpaper ever 1 minute and I usually browse internet in a window just because the screen is big.
So this means I am not only wearing the middle of the screen with a browse but also whole screen with randomized thousands of screenshots from my games.
that's only my theory but works so far

Bojji

With OLED and 30hz or less 😬

30FPS?

I didn't accept 30fps long before i bought OLED. With pc you can avoid incompetent devs most of the time. I'm forced to play 30fps game like once a year (FFXVI...)

The G series LG oleds have a peak brightness of 1500! How much more do you need?!

Apparently 4000 nits straight into your eyes!

fea6ae573265e4b45d36a58f3ceaf172.gif

King Dazzar

I see.
Many people use black wallpaper but I hate that.
I use randomized wallpaper ever 1 minute and I usually browse internet in a window just because the screen is big.
So this means I am not only wearing the middle of the screen with a browse but also whole screen with randomized thousands of screenshots from my games.
that's only my theory but works so far
For what its worth. When I got burn in on my LG C7. It was all the yellow folder icons on my chrome browser that were the first to show uneven pixel wear i.e burn in. Ever since then I have always baby sat my OLED's and been mindful of game HUD's, regardless of panel improvements.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
For what its worth. When I got burn in on my LG C7. It was all the yellow folder icons on my chrome browser that were the first to show uneven pixel wear i.e burn in. Ever since then I have always baby sat my OLED's and been mindful of game HUD's, regardless of panel improvements.
I don't pay that much attention to it. If it burns out, I will get another one. This one is almost 3 years old. It earned it's place.
Not that it seems to happen soon. Not a sign of anything on tests at 8k hours.

This is how I use my chrome. bookmarks appear when I open new window or with a shortcut. Windows taskbar is set to autohide too.
The only pain is hiding desktop icons. Win11 added another layer to do that. So you have to click 3 times where it was 2 click previously. There is a shortcut for that probably... Somehow neogaf logo is not burned out yet !
zKnvIpQ.png

Last edited:
The G series LG oleds have a peak brightness of 1500! How much more do you need?!
dc cinematic universe GIF

On more serious note, Sony apparently just released Hollywood mastering monitor with 4000 nits peak brightness. With their own screen tech.

Similar tech may land in a flag ship TV this year.

Last edited:

welshrat

I have always had Sony TV's and I have tried many different brands but Sonys colors and motion has always won over for me. I currently have last year's mini led and the fact that they are pushing this tech is great as far as I am concerned as it means when I upgrade in about 18 months hopefully will be some good products

Kerotan

I don't think people here quite understand the situation. Last year's flag ship QD OLED launched quite late and it's near perfection in regards to an OLED so it makes sense to leave this on the market another year from a profit point of view.

The mini LED looks good but they'll be back next year with a new flagship QD OLED and the extra year will have given them time to make improvements actually worth mentioning.

King Dazzar

I love my QN90A. I have no reason to replace it besides greed for something new and superior. The QN90A is superior in native contrast, black levels, and local dimming to the QN90B and QN90C. It's true successor is the QN95C.
I owned the 85" QN95A UK variant with the one connect box. I enjoyed it. But unfortunately I kept having lots of HDMI 2.1 related issues with audio and picture drop outs. It was a common problem in the EU at the time. So it had to be returned. But it was a very clean panel, had great blooming control, though it did tend to limit specular highlight detail and crush blacks a bit as a result.

I don't pay that much attention to it. If it burns out, I will get another one. This one is almost 3 years old. It earned it's place.
Not that it seems to happen soon. Not a sign of anything on tests at 8k hours.

This is how I use my chrome. bookmarks appear when I open new window or with a shortcut. Windows taskbar is set to autohide too.
The only pain is hiding desktop icons. Win11 added another layer to do that. So you have to click 3 times where it was 2 click previously. There is a shortcut for that probably... Somehow neogaf logo is not burned out yet !
Yeah, I was more trying to just share what colour wore quickest (though they've changed the panels now). And to highlight it was static icons that were the problem. Not to spread burn in fear etc. I ended up moving my browser window around and auto hiding taskbar etc.

We can all look at our TV's as disposable, but for me it never sat well. And if you really didn't care, then you wouldn't take any precautions at all. But on a positive note, my now retired to bedroom 2019 OLED panel is fine. And I think as long as you do baby sit the TV to a degree, they'll go on for years. My Z9J drinks so much power when in full swing, I wouldnt be surprised if some power component or something gives out in time. But it is nice to not have to think even the tiniest bit about pixel wear and how I use the TV - it was quite liberating after 5 years of OLED's at the time. All tech has pros and cons....

Last edited:

King Dazzar

dc cinematic universe GIF

On more serious note, Sony apparently just released Hollywood mastering monitor with 4000 nits peak brightness. With their own screen tech.

Similar tech may land in a flag ship TV this year.
My Z9J can touch 2950nit and its a couple fo years old now. TCL have panels hitting 5k nit already.

For those who think thats far too bright. If the TV is calibrated correctly, it doent mean you're blinded all the time. Not at all. Some scenes may look identical. It just has the ability to show the intended luminance correctly and have greater HDR impact when called on.

Senua

My Z9J can touch 2950nit and its a couple fo years old now. TCL have panels hitting 5k nit already.

For those who think thats far too bright. If the TV is calibrated correctly, it doent mean you're blinded all the time. Not at all. Some scenes may look identical. It just has the ability to show the intended luminance correctly and have greater HDR impact when called on.

Tired Wake Up GIF by good-morning

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I owned the 85" QN95A UK variant with the one connect box. I enjoyed it. But unfortunately I kept having lots of HDMI 2.1 related issues with audio and picture drop outs. It was a common problem in the EU at the time. So it had to be returned. But it was a very clean panel, had great blooming control, though it did tend to limit specular highlight detail and crush blacks a bit as a result.

Yeah, I was more trying to just share what colour wore quickest (though they've changed the panels now). And to highlight it was static icons that were the problem. Not to spread burn in fear etc. I ended up moving my browser window around and auto hiding taskbar etc.

We can all look at our TV's as disposable, but for me it never sat well. And if you really didn't care, then you wouldn't take any precautions at all. But on a positive note, my now retired to bedroom 2019 OLED panel is fine. And I think as long as you do baby sit the TV to a degree, they'll go on for years. My Z9J drinks so much power when in full swing, I wouldnt be surprised if some power component or something gives out in time. But it is nice to not have to think even the tiniest bit about pixel wear and how I use the TV - it was quite liberating after 5 years of OLED's at the time. All tech has pros and cons....
clear.
I think of it as burn out. Each pixel has it's life span. I think yellow or red have the shortest. White is the longest.
All that matters is the power and time pixel is ran at.

King Dazzar

Does mini LED have the gamma flicker VRR issue oled does? Would be nice if it didn’t!
My panel is a FALD and only 400+ zones. It has no flicker whatsoever or gamma shift in VRR content I've tried. You do however get a slight increase to motion blur. In general, the VRR on emissive is better imo simply due to the better motion with it on. With VRR off, I prefer my LCD.

Whitecrow

Banned
For lit rooms -> LCD, for dark rooms, OLED.

Thats all theres to it. Any of you will ever agree on which flaws are better or worse than others.

magnumpy

a TV is just a TV and technology changes. tomorrows technology isn't the same as yesterdays technology.

unless you are insulting my very expensive TV in which case how dare you!!1 ._.

Diddy X

It seems like I'll wait for microLED to replace my qled tv, no technology right now convinces me enough to pay premium price for it.

Last edited:

magnumpy

it seems the disadvantage with these new Sony TVs will be that the cost will be very high. like higher than the TVs you can buy right now for an equivalent size. meaning that is an area where "older" screen technologies will have an advantage: yes these new (just revealed, not released or even announced yet) Sony screens should look fantastic but the cost should be much higher (?) for the same size. so you would then have to choose between screen size and the newer technology, not at all a new "problem" and even this supposed new screen technology from Sony won't be the ultimate final form for the TV end boss ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

every year there is something new and exciting...

Last edited:
It didn't doom the Sony in 2016/17
Keep repeating off angle nobody has debated that so you are talking to yourself.

Yes but I like sitting off angle from my tv on purpose, like all the time I try to have a viewing angle of at least 150 degrees from sitting in front because reasons. Like they say, no one says viewing angles are great, but then again, you would only need to care about that if you live in a tiny apartment or something with 15 people sitting in a radius of about 1 meter from the tv.

Let’s see how this tv pans out, it sounds awesome. Always love Sony for creating the best tv tech. They are making better TVs using LG panels than LG itself. I think that speaks for a big part already. If Sonys top model chooses another tech than oled they do it for a reason and not stupidity.

Ooooh, interesting.

You know, they may know a thing or two about image quality and TV tech.

That, or their ridiculously overpriced OLEDs failed to reach sales expectations.

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Also, ridiculously overpriced is just a poor man’s opinion.
You pay more to get something objectively better. Is it worth it for you? Probably no. Is it worth it for people wanting the absolute best? Probably yes.

Top Bottom